Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Action MMO please!

2»

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Action combat is great and I'd love to have a fast combat system in a game like this. Problem is that in all the games that employ an action combat system - large sacrifices have to be made to make it playable and the servers tend to be stretched to the limit.

In Guild Wars 2 - they had to use culling a lot (making players invisible) - and the combat arsenal was tiny compared to the norm. In Age of Conan - they also used culling, and they used heavy instancing, and the sieges never worked right. The game still has regular lag spikes.

That's because it's just too demanding when dozens or hundreds of players can make such low-latency demanding inputs all at once. We're simply not at a stage where huge sieges and a seamless world like the one in ArcheAge can handle a truly fast-paced action combat system with so many players. Servers aren't powerful enough - and fast internet connection speeds aren't widespread enough. Remember, all the input from thousands of players on a server has to be interpreted very quickly - and that means powerful server infrastructure and a fast connection speed from the player, or delays will cause major issues.

So, we have to choose between hundreds of players and deep/elaborate systems - or action combat.

Personally, I'm very happy to sacrifice fast paced combat for the kind of depth and complexity I'm seeing in ArcheAge.

• assajocunaassajocuna Member Posts: 11

Don't expect a lot from Archeage combat system. It's pretty old and kinda boring.

I've played the game for a while now on kr server and the game is definately the best i've

played in a while but the worst thing about the game is combat system. 130 profession

thing is useless. You'll most likely see around 5~8 jobs that are usable. They are tweaking

at the moment so by the time it reach other countries, i guess it'll get better.

One big problem is the revealed land that we can play on are really small and the housing

zones are even smaller. There are no space for any room right now on almost every server

in korea and without house or farm, you are at great disadvantage. One thing to remember

when you guys play when the game comes out. Build your house ASAP. It's the most important

thing in the game. 

The game doesn't really have that UO level of freedom, sandbox element. It's like in between

WoW and UO. Everything just feels like it's not finished. IF they would polish a little bit more

it would've been really great. I'm sure it'll get better by the time it gets released overseas.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by assajocuna

Don't expect a lot from Archeage combat system. It's pretty old and kinda boring.

I've played the game for a while now on kr server and the game is definately the best i've

played in a while but the worst thing about the game is combat system. 130 profession

thing is useless. You'll most likely see around 5~8 jobs that are usable. They are tweaking

at the moment so by the time it reach other countries, i guess it'll get better.

One big problem is the revealed land that we can play on are really small and the housing

zones are even smaller. There are no space for any room right now on almost every server

in korea and without house or farm, you are at great disadvantage. One thing to remember

when you guys play when the game comes out. Build your house ASAP. It's the most important

thing in the game. 

The game doesn't really have that UO level of freedom, sandbox element. It's like in between

WoW and UO. Everything just feels like it's not finished. IF they would polish a little bit more

it would've been really great. I'm sure it'll get better by the time it gets released overseas.

Did you make it to the last continent where you can basically build your house just about anywhere?  Or are you you talking about the non-pvp islands in regards to the housing?  Also, I prefer action combat but will gladly give it up for an in-depth MMO to keep me busy for a long time and good exploring.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

if by action you mean TERA, Raiderz, Vindictus, no thanks, I am just to old to enjoy that stuff

if by action you mean GW2, TSW, then ok I can handle that.

but I dont want to be limited by 7 skills like the above mentioned, I am good at knowing my keyboard, I like having 20 keys at my disposal

But if there is only 7 useful skills in total then 20 is a waste.

yah gw2 barely had 7 skills worth using

TSW I could have easily filled a 20 slot bar

Ever tried playing elementalist?

You've got more than 20 skills to use with ele... and they're all useful, just as any spell in your skill bar for any prof.

the worse situation is WOW style action bar, that was just a waste of UI space, god, why did I play that awful game xD

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SygrisSygris Member Posts: 26

thing in the game. 

i agree with you on that point.

xlgames stated that they will be releasing monthly content updates, with new zones and other stuff, which would solve the problem. heard(not confirmed) that the dwarves will be added in february with such an update.

if they are actually capable of keeping their promise and release a content update each month, then the game that we would be getting would be much bigger, than what is currently live in korea, IMO something to look forward to.

• n00854180tn00854180t Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by n00854180t
    Originally posted by Matimusmaximus

I would be far more excited about Archeage then I have ever been for any game ever, if only they were making it an action mmo. Frankly I like dodging and being a better player because I'm more skilled. Not because I googled the correct combo of abilities. It pulls me right out of the game.  That being said, I am incredibly stoked to build and defend my own castle!

Same here, it's incredibly disappointing that they didn't go that extra mile to make the game amazing. The MMO industry doesn't need any more games where the primary gameplay is "mash number row like seizurific monkey".

ArcheAge is an MMO*RPG* ... notice the RPG part.  It doesn't have nor does it need action combat.   Again, there will be plenty of other games you can play then trying to fit this one into your playstyle.  Its a lost cause.

Contrary to your belief, RPG does not stand for "Slow Hotbar Whack-a-Mole Combat."

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I would be far more excited about Archeage then I have ever been for any game ever, if only they were making it an action mmo. Frankly I like dodging and being a better player because I'm more skilled. Not because I googled the correct combo of abilities. It pulls me right out of the game.  That being said, I am incredibly stoked to build and defend my own castle!

I would be extremely thrilled to have some sort of action combat myself.  Tab Targetting is so lame that it most likely will prohibit my inclusion even with all the other good things about the game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I would be extremely thrilled to have some sort of action combat myself.  Tab Targetting is so lame that it most likely will prohibit my inclusion even with all the other good things about the game.

Combat really isn't the selling point of this game, but at least we have some sandbox elements :)

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• assajocunaassajocuna Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

thing in the game. 

Did you make it to the last continent where you can basically build your house just about anywhere?  Or are you you talking about the non-pvp islands in regards to the housing?  Also, I prefer action combat but will gladly give it up for an in-depth MMO to keep me busy for a long time and good exploring.

Yes. The northern continent is pretty bad for building house because of bad climate for growing crops, trees etc...

It'll need more updates for that continent since its very hard to get there. Basically everything is on the western and eastern

continent  right now so theres no need to go up there. All the protected regions are full with houses and scarecrow farms.

Even the unprotection regions are full in populated servers. Housing space is a huge issue right now since new players 

dont have any space to build their home.