Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Making Guilds Better

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In this week's Guild Wars 2 column, while we're all waiting for the January patch to go live, David North is musing on Guilds in Tyria, and how ArenaNet can make them mean more in the game.

I see guilds constantly fighting for new members in chat, bragging about having banks, banners, and even the numbers of their active players.  They all want you to join them.  You can join multiple guilds, which is a great way to expand your resources for finding dungeon groups, but you can only represent one guild at a time.  This means you can only gain influence for the guild you represent.  Guilds have started to fight for that, by offering weekly prizes in a drawing where only representing players may join. 

Read more in David North's Guild Wars 2: Making Guilds Better.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Guilds are ironically one of the weakest, if not the weakest, part of GW2. There needs to be more reasons to be in a guild for sure. Guild missions should hopefully cover some of this, but I think this needs to be a top priority at this point. You can do everything in the game without being in a guild and that may seem great, but there needs to be a reason for guilds to exist. It is really hard to create an environment that is very accepting of any playstyle and open ended, but at the same time create content that you can only experience with a guild. It can be done, but it will be a challenge for them at this point.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Guilds are ironically one of the weakest, if not the weakest, part of GW2. There needs to be more reasons to be in a guild for sure. Guild missions should hopefully cover some of this, but I think this needs to be a top priority at this point. You can do everything in the game without being in a guild and that may seem great, but there needs to be a reason for guilds to exist. It is really hard to create an environment that is very accepting of any playstyle and open ended, but at the same time create content that you can only experience with a guild. It can be done, but it will be a challenge for them at this point.

wow -- when reading like that- youre right. it is afterall 'GUILD' wars..havent encountered any wars yet. except in wvw...lol

<.<

• Nebojsa15Nebojsa15 Member UncommonPosts: 20

As i agree that guilds do need a beef up in the game, i think most people misunderstand the name of the game. Its not named Guild Wars because of the wars that players had, but rather because of  the lore and what happened in the history of Tyria. 

I for 1 am all for guild halls, guild wars, and alliances.

+1 ^

• MuffloMufflo Member Posts: 30

Yes, guilds might just needs improvement. The game is called guild wars, not too obvious as the plot focuses on saving-the-world-thing, though I would love for one of possible future expansions or mini-expansions to focus just around new dynamic ways for guilds to fight.

May it be in PvP combat, guild vs. guild matches in Spvp, perhaps in some kind of economic battle of the merchants. I would love to see non-combat ways to fight or conquer other guilds, maybe even being able to bet your whole guild against another in some kind of competition. 

Right now, the game only inhabits server pride in WvWvW. I would love to see Guild Pride in Spvp. 

More dynamic content to the people! Barfights for everyone!

The sylvari ordered Rice n chicken in a bar. The waiter asked him: "exploded or intact?" He angrily answered: "Intact of course! Do you take me for a fool?"

Those were his last words.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Your guild can make or break the game for you, I have been shopping around since launch and I just haven't found the right one yet, met some nice people, but just haven't found the perfect fit. Perhaps some new guild tools will help.
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I feel Guild halls and maybe even some GvG would help but most of all it takes a good group of people that not only you like but the other involed as well to make a guild work. To me most of what the game offers now is good when it comes to a guild but as a guild leader and officer you have to put effort to make the guild work as a whole. The idea of a guild offering a prize to get players to join makes me laugh and sad at the same time cause its we as players and members of a guild that have to make it good not just by the tools given to us.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• mastergravymastergravy Member UncommonPosts: 38
    i have to agree that the guild system is completely broken in gw2. there is no need to be in a guild. no rewards or even sense of being there. so sad if only GUILDwars 2 would have lived up to its name instead of just endgame being a pvp fest prolly would have dont a lot better
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Yes guild aspects to the game need some serious love, I am level 60, been guildless all this time.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Nebojsa15

As i agree that guilds do need a beef up in the game, i think most people misunderstand the name of the game. Its not named Guild Wars because of the wars that players had, but rather because of  the lore and what happened in the history of Tyria. 

I for 1 am all for guild halls, guild wars, and alliances.

+1 ^

Finally, someone who pays attention!

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I like the alliance idea as a better way to connect people than letting them join multiple guilds.  That makes guilds irrelevant.

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by orbitxo

wow -- when reading like that- youre right. it is afterall 'GUILD' wars..havent encountered any wars yet. except in wvw...lol

<.<

You should go freshen up your guild wars lore, because the "guild wars" were a series of wars between human "guilds" (or factions rather) a very long time ago, before the guild wars 2 storyline started. I would suggest watching the Lore Videos of Wooden Potatoes on youtube! :)

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    One of the biggest missing pieces my Guild grieves over is something as simple as a "last login" field for guild members. Their answer has been to purge everyone from the Guild every X months and re-add via Mumble.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by mastergravy
    i have to agree that the guild system is completely broken in gw2. there is no need to be in a guild. no rewards or even sense of being there. so sad if only GUILDwars 2 would have lived up to its name instead of just endgame being a pvp fest prolly would have dont a lot better

Don't read into our posts that much. Guilds are not a great part of GW2 atm but it does not mean they are not there and you can't create the social environment you want. Don't turn this thread which will probably promote some interesting discussion into a mess by saying stuff like "it would have probably done a lot better". The game is clearly a huge success and at this point in it's life span is the most successful MMO to date. (Obviously this can change)

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Guilds are ironically one of the weakest, if not the weakest, part of GW2. There needs ...

Agree with you. Especially funn for game that carry name "guild" in its name. :-)

However I prefer by large measure solo play, for DE or harder skill points quests, ... etc.... fortunately there is no shortage (at least so far) of players around virtually any zone. And myself I feel strange urge to go to help with any DE or any other group quest that spawns in area. :-)

I was never ever expecting (especially based on my experience with GW1) they will create such great, marvelous game, with jaw dropping vistas, etc, ... miriad of jewells of all kind in game ... I'm really happy now that I have 3 games (along with wow/swtor) to keep me busy for while. As altholic I do not generally care for end game and even less for pvp.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

The moment they allowed players to join mutliple guilds they undermined the entire point of any guild and stalled any worthwhile development of the guild aspect.

Guilds declare war on each other? So what im a member of both.

Guild Halls linked to unique fractal like area dungeons so you fight to take over a guild hall and access their dungeon for a week?

So what, just add it to the list of guilds joined.

Guild PVP event - why bother? Just join the pvp guild that zergs.

Work to unlock a new banner - screw that. Ill join another guild that already has that and perks i want.

Until they revert to a one guild only rule their guild system cannot move forward. Its too bad, they did get a lot of their core game to be fun. This one aspect though was the type of innovation that is ten steps backward and no steps forward in terms of fostering social interactions. Its made fairweather friends the norm, instead of making real friendships.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Guilds are a little bit of a disappointment right now. Seeing lots of members online but they are representing another guild so guild chat is a ghost town. This being part of more then one guild really makes guilds in GW2 a fail.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

For a game which has the name Guild Wars there is surprisingly little wars going on between the guilds. I feel the WvW should focus more on guilds rather than the entire server as few people will feel more pride towards the server than their guild.

So forts should be conquerable only by guilds and only other guilds should be able to lay siege on a fort. That way you also get rid of zerging where everyone just bum-rushes the forts with the biggest zerg they can muster up. That is one of the main reasons why I did not enjoy WvW, it was just a mob of faceless people against another mob of faceless people. Taking over forts and control points and for what? Server pride? Nah, doubt it.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Yamota

For a game which has the name Guild Wars there is surprisingly little wars going on between the guilds. I feel the WvW should focus more on guilds rather than the entire server as few people will feel more pride towards the server than their guild.

So forts should be conquerable only by guilds and only other guilds should be able to lay siege on a fort. That way you also get rid of zerging where everyone just bum-rushes the forts with the biggest zerg they can muster up. That is one of the main reasons why I did not enjoy WvW, it was just a mob of faceless people against another mob of faceless people. Taking over forts and control points and for what? Server pride? Nah, doubt it.

Understand the name Guild Wars comes from this lore - http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/History_of_Tyria not from the GW1 GvG etc. Please understand the lore before you post drivvle.

• AemenAemen Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Wow, I'm glad someone on a site is finally saying something. This has been hurting the game as a whole in my opinion since they first mentioned it.  You HAVE to have a reason to stick with certain players and within guilds. It is the largest disconnected gaming community ever. Going to say there is no reason to be in a guild...well for every person on a "world" that is not in a guild everyone suffers. It is simply wasted influence that would be earned to benefit everyone without you having to go out of your way at all, just play. Unfortunately at this point all the could possibly do is add the mentioned guild perks and maybe(big stretch) alliances. The thought of having to redo and limit guilds to anyone working there is probably enough to make them not want to go into work the next day....anywho I'm glad someone has finally put this out there on a recognized site.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The small +stats isn't enough for people to join a guild I feel.

I hope ANet does something to make guilds into something that players would want to be a part of.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BobRichmondBobRichmond Member UncommonPosts: 32

I also agree that guilds need a lot more work to make them relevant in the game.

That said you have a couple points in your post that are not true. First of all and the most misunderstood point is that the "Guild" in Guild Wars has nothing to do with player guilds in the game. It is about the lore from a point in time quite a while before the first game began. Secondly it has been said that when the guild missions are put in the game they can just be started by a guild. Once they are started anybody czn join in. So even though you need a guild to start them and the guild may get some benefit for doing them, you do not have to be in the guild to do them.

Bob

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Sir I agree with your article 110% thank you so much for this fine read