Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested, but want to know more

ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Because of work and kids I havent commited myself to an MMO in about 2 years.

But now I have some spare time again and I miss the community feel (for better or worse) of playing online.

I would like some input from you the players, just really short on the general idea of the game and what your likes/dislikes are.

Games I've played for a longer stretch include WoW (vanilla and BC), SWG (all of it) and WAR.

I like community, guilds and grouping (grouping for a cause that is, not just grouping because). PvP and preferably RvR. Player economies and trade. I like dungeons/raids if not too time consuming. I like open worlds.

No flames please, there are plenty of threads for that =)

Comments

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

GW2 can be small pass time for you but not your home game, IMO.

community life is very little at GW2, game play offers nothing much to do (see all posts here).
    it nice game when you have like max 10 hours per week of free time and have nothing better to do.

positive elements: graphic is pretty and music is nice, game is not hard and let you play when you have time as no subs.

but if you really think about community and deep game playing, IMO look for somthening else.

hope my humble opinion help you to make choice and best of luck with any game you gonna play. =)

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

I found WvWvW (RvR) great.

Reason is mid tier server (ranked 12 atm iirc) where tactics play a role as you have to outmanuver. Just the other day we successfully defended keep for 3,5 hours against larger force, it was definately epic, good effort from both sides, lot of good and surprising tactics from both sides.

It still has place for large zergs, mid sized groups and small groups (due to supply camps/secondary targets)

I have put some 350 hours in some 40 days and i would say 80% of that was spent in WvWvW :)

And for best experience you should join WvWvW guild of size you prefer, and dont join WvWvW until lvl80 on your first character as upscaling doesnt work that great and i can definately see people being put off because of it.

PvE is your standard fare with a twist that open world actually matters as endgame (and whole open world counts not just max level area due to level scaling) and you dont need to just grind dungeons, there are real alternatives to that (i prefer open world and GW2 is really only AAA MMO that offers that).

theres no instanced raids, dungeons are 5-man.

Theres no trinity so you will have to change mentality from tank/healeer/DPS because those dont really exist.

Also graphics is, i would say, top in MMOs and it still runs great.

Anyway, i would suggest to try it, especially if you prefer PvP/RvR.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

GW2 is not based on commitement or need of others.

I would say it isn't for you.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

GW2 can be small pass time for you but not your home game, IMO.

community life is very little at GW2, game play offers nothing much to do (see all posts here).
    it nice game when you have like max 10 hours per week of free time and have nothing better to do.

positive elements: graphic is pretty and music is nice, game is not hard and let you play when you have time as no subs.

but if you really think about community and deep game playing, IMO look for somthening else.

hope my humble opinion help you to make choice and best of luck with any game you gonna play. =)

You must be kidding....

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Any MMO gamer that can spare to entry cost should have GW2. There is no doubt what so ever that what you get for the price is enough to justify that cost. It probably won't last you forever but you will likely enjoy the journey and get a lot of satisfaction from it, especially if you havn't played an MMO in awhile. Even if you stop playing after a month, you can go back to check out any updates, you can go back if you're bored one night, you can go back when a friend picks it up later... it won't cost you any extra.

Should be on every MMOers system.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

GW2's dungeons aren't time consuming at all. Most of them can be completed in less than an hour.

Economy consists of a global trading post that some people use to get quite rich. It should be the best way to get money. All transactions go through it, because you can't trade "manually". You can mail items to other players, but there's no guarantee they'll pay you.

Community is what you make it. I've probably been lucky, because I haven't encountered any jerks yet. This is a very solo-friendly game, so some people think it's antisocial, but grouping is always better than soloing. Basically, it doesn't force you into being social, but you can be if you want to. Finding a decent guild is a good start.

My favorite parts of this game are open world content and WvW (RvR). The world is detailed and beautiful and it's fun to just run around and do stuff. WvW is good for casual, social PvP, castles and catapults. Who doesn't love castles and catapults?

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I just started playing GW2 in December.  It's a great game! I call it the MMORPG for the casual MMO gamer.

However, it is probably NOT for you, going by the things you say are important to you.

• Grouping for a Cause: This is not really a part of GW2.  I don't know, maybe if you got into a good guild or made some friends or something. It would require time and effort to establish yourself socially in the game.
    • PVP: This is not very mature in the game.  My daughter and I LOVED doing battlegrounds together in WOW, but we couldn't even fight on the same side in the instanced PVP. GW2 has a LOT of work to do here.
    • RAID: I'm not yet at the max level, but I don't really thing they have a mature dungeon or raiding system, yet.
    Having said all that, there are a lot of great things about GW2.  I think Crafting is actually fun, and they have made it VERY easy to get involved in the economy and trade. Of course, part of that "easiness" is that you never have to directly interact with another player.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by ormstunga

Because of work and kids I havent commited myself to an MMO in about 2 years.

But now I have some spare time again and I miss the community feel (for better or worse) of playing online.

I would like some input from you the players, just really short on the general idea of the game and what your likes/dislikes are.

Games I've played for a longer stretch include WoW (vanilla and BC), SWG (all of it) and WAR.

I like community, guilds and grouping (grouping for a cause that is, not just grouping because). PvP and preferably RvR. Player economies and trade. I like dungeons/raids if not too time consuming. I like open worlds.

No flames please, there are plenty of threads for that =)

I'll tell you what... if you get the game, try and get on Jade Quarry server (may take off hours to do so) and look for Volkon (me). I'll get you into FIRE, our WvW guild (but there are others as well that are good). Run organized WvW with one of the guilds here, get in TS and chat it up... it's a great gaming experience. From what you've written I sincerely believe you'll fit in fine and have a blast.

Oderint, dum metuant.