Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Petition, Make Tamriel Seamless.

Comments

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

If people are factionless at start then people can wander the entire world of Tamriel (you know, one of the major selling points of the game) without it being an issue.

If race wasn't locked into faction then people wouldn't see an Orc and automatically know which faction they belonged to and so would not assume they are in your lands for Evil reasons.

Up until the point where someone aligned themselves with one of the factions they would be free to be whatever they wanted, a trader, adventurer, blacksmith, potionmaker. Mages could go on pilgramages to the College at Winterhold, Bretons could visit the swamps of the far east or the cloudy morrowind.

Factions, or rather race locked factions assigned at character creation just destroys so much potential and freedom. I still am baffled that anyone can see an advantage to it. You can still have 3 faction PvP without locking it to race.....what benefit does locking it have? Really, I struggle to see any benefit.

Personally, I think this would be ideal. But I'm afraid that won't happen, no matter how hard we try. It took WoW many a years to get to a neutral faction that could join whichever one they pleased, and even then people did not appreciate it.

Can't say that I've played Mist of Panderia, or WoW at all since Cataclysm but still.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well you can go solstheim in dragonborn, like with bloodmoon.
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

The world isnt seamless in order to protect pve'ers.

The petition should be against them. 

/troll face

Originally posted by alakram
    I want to explore the full map with one character, it can't be difficult to remove that boundaries, I signed it.

Aye, they can remove the boundries, no problem at all. However the major problem would be making the barriers seamless. Since the game world isn't intact. All the factions are instanced within themselves. Think of it as the different continents in WoW. But even so, I'd be fine with one loading screen between the maps if that is the only way to solve it, but seamless would be the ideal solution for the ultimate immersion.

Originally posted by Maephisto

The world isnt seamless in order to protect pve'ers.

The petition should be against them. 

/troll face

It's true what you say, but the world is instanced to protect the dungeons and possibly mob stealing. But also because it makes it easier to program and grants more area to work on performance allowing mid-end computers to run the game. And since the quests in different factions will still call you by possibly race and name, if you could talk to a Highelf questgiver as an orc that might ruin the immersion when you're called "Young Bosmer" instead.

However you could solve this by not letting people speak to eachother freely, but that might be a problem lorewise.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122

I'd say: Come back here and complaint when you've acctaully played the game.

Ppl do love to make a Hen out of a feather.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    A petition right now to change the core design of the world?  Yeah...good luck with that.

So the core design of the world is that you cannot walk wherever you want? I'm quite sure that it is not the core mechanic. Try again.

Pretty certain I couldn't visit Hammerfell while playing Skyrim.  Or visit Elsweyr while playing Morrowind.  Or visit Black Marsh while playing Oblivian.  I'm just saying.

As for seemless, each territory is seemless and they are fairly huge by traditional MMO reckoning.

Well, that's because the game was designed around Skyrim, but TESO is designed around the whole of Tamriel. The places exist in that game, it will just refuse you to enter them and explore unless you level up a new character. That's not ideal. And if you do like making toons nothing will change, you can still do it in that manner. Making toons will still allow you to access the faction restricted content. But exploring is in itself content.

Trust me, if you play on your main, walk through the enemy territory and see all those wonders, you will still want to experience the lore and the quests. The dungeons and treasures. It will lead to a whole other level of anticipation.

Morrowind was based on morrowind but you couldnt explor all of morrowind, in that game you only had access to vvardenfell as far as i can remember

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I want to explore the full map with one character, it can't be difficult to remove that boundaries, I signed it.

Aye, they can remove the boundries, no problem at all. However the major problem would be making the barriers seamless. Since the game world isn't intact. All the factions are instanced within themselves. Think of it as the different continents in WoW. But even so, I'd be fine with one loading screen between the maps if that is the only way to solve it, but seamless would be the ideal solution for the ultimate immersion.

Have you even looked at the map? There is no point where the faction territory comes together. The only thing that they all touch is Cyrodiil, which you probably go through a portal or something to get too. Its funny you think there is a switch that they can just turn on to open the game up.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by ikarrian

If I order a Pizza and they put Anchivies onto it I would get angry if the store said "Wait till you get it and take a bite, you will love it".

This is the same thing, I know I don't like it so waiting till I play the game will not change that.

Originally posted by Fearum

Have you even looked at the map? There is no point where the faction territory comes together. The only thing that they all touch is Cyrodiil, which you probably go through a portal or something to get too. Its funny you think there is a switch that they can just turn on to open the game up.

There are borders inbetween, so yes. They do meet. And no, there is not a switch but a few thousand lines of programming that might have to be added and/or removed. Tamriel is a whole island continent, not twenty seperated islands.

If I order a Pizza and they put Anchivies onto it I would get angry if the store said "Wait till you get it and take a bite, you will love it".

This is the same thing, I know I don't like it so waiting till I play the game will not change that.

Thats what Betas are for. If you get in, you get a chanse to voice your oppinion.

Why dont you ask for a food-sample first then? Because i dont think he'll understand if you ask him to Beta test the pizza...

Not strictly true. Hammerfell and High rock both border Skyrim and there are bodies of water between others so not exacly an impassable object.

But agreed there is not switch unless the block is just a faction check in which case it might just be a few lines of code to make the check, block access and post the message. It is simply unknown the mechanic for blocking access.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    PFFT. You are about two years late for that.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Thats what Betas are for. If you get in, you get a chanse to voice your oppinion.

Why dont you ask for a food-sample first then? Because i dont think he'll understand if you ask him to Beta test the pizza...

So I can only voice my opinion about the subject in the beta, not here, in a thread for people to voice their opinion......right.....

I don't think you understood the metaphor. If you already know you don't like anchovies on your pizza and there might be a possibility for change, why not tell them and let them know that before they've already placed the fish on the pizza?

And no, I'll stop you right there. We want an Elder Scrolls MMO, and we want it to be open, for all of us. No matter where our main character is located.

Originally posted by VassagoMael
    PFFT. You are about two years late for that.

Two years ago it wasn't even announced. There is still time for modifications. If you agree with the idea, please sign the petition. If not, just don't sign it. However your comment is appreciated. The more traffic we bring to this topic, the bigger is the chance of it making it to someone higher up.

For example, the admins for this site has more influence than we do, if they were to make a big deal out of it someone whom is connected to a lot of media, say Totalbiscuit, could bring it forth and since he has quite a big influence not only on youtube, but in the gaming world itself it would bring even further notice to the problem.

Hence, getting a lot of signatures will help us bring attention by the higherups. That's how petitions work, that's how media work.

No it isnt, its like you get offered an anchovy pizza (because thats all they have made) and then get angry, rather than just calmly refusing and walking away.

You havent paid for anything and if you do pay for it you will get what they have for sale, games arent made to order, they are what they are and you have the choice to either play them or not

Not strictly true. Hammerfell and High rock both border Skyrim and there are bodies of water between others so not exacly an impassable object.

But agreed there is not switch unless the block is just a faction check in which case it might just be a few lines of code to make the check, block access and post the message. It is simply unknown the mechanic for blocking access.

Yes it is true, you can't explore all of Skyrim, Hammerfell or High Rock. Look at this map on this link. http://www.tesof.com/topic-available-areas-on-teso-release Where do you see borders that touch? A little research goes a long way.

I'm too busy reading everything as i make lunch before i gotta run again. There is also a chanse that he could like that pizza, He dont know unless he tried it before and was sure he did not. But we havent seen the TESO system yet, So we dont know if we will like it or not, Do we?

This whole thread is based on assumptions and guessing about the system. So "i'll just stop you right there" as you said.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

ESO should be a large seamless world where you should be able to go wherever you want and join whatever faction you want (but obviously with consquences). This locking you into a faction is just rubbish, a copout and goes against the spirit of Elder Scrolls games.

Will that happen? No, the game is a ThemePark and no ThemePark to date has had a large seamless world where you have the freedom to join whichever side you want (or not at all). ThemeParks are highly controlled game arenas where the developers tell you what you can and cannot do. Easy for them but rubbish as gameplay (imo).

Yes it is true, you can't explore all of Skyrim, Hammerfell or High Rock. Look at this map on this link. http://www.tesof.com/topic-available-areas-on-teso-release Where do you see borders that touch? A little research goes along way.

Confused....

The map clearly shows Skyrim borders hammerfell and High Rock. Seeing as Skyrim is 1 faction and High Rock/hammerfell is another, and their border touch...

What as I missing here as I still don't see what you are going on about.

Originally posted by Yamota

ESO should be a large seamless world where you should be able to go wherever you want and join whatever faction you want (but obviously with consquences). This locking you into a faction is just rubbish, a copout and goes against the spirit of Elder Scrolls games.

Will that happen? No, the game is a ThemePark and no ThemePark to date has had a large seamless world where you have the freedom to join whichever side you want (or not at all). ThemeParks are highly controlled game arenas where the developers tell you what you can and cannot do. Easy for them but rubbish as gameplay (imo).

Look at the map http://www.tesof.com/topic-available-areas-on-teso-release

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

So let me get this straight, they (the devs/producers) are allowed to release data before release but you cannot comment on it unless you have actually played it?

Sorry but that is just nonsense. If they dont want people to comment on certain aspects of the game then they should not release any info pre-release or open beta.

Yes it is true, you can't explore all of Skyrim, Hammerfell or High Rock. Look at this map on this link. http://www.tesof.com/topic-available-areas-on-teso-release Where do you see borders that touch? A little research goes along way.

Confused....

The map clearly shows Skyrim borders hammerfell and High Rock. Seeing as Skyrim is 1 faction and High Rock/hammerfell is another, and their border touch...

Did you scroll down and look at the playable areas? Scroll down about half way down the page when he highlights each factions playable areas at realease.

Confused....

Go to the bottom of that post, its shows the areas that wont be in the game at launch one of those areas is the side of skyrim that borders hammerfell/high rock