Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's idea was it to have tutorials for mmorpgs?!?

13»

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I agree with the OP.

I started off gaming via King's Quest, Police Quest, and Quest for Glory PC series. Tutorial? lol. Never had 'em. Moreover, these games had "type commands" - a much more difficult mechanic than today's point and click. I was able to beat these games as a 5th grader.

Developers think we're idiots. Take a look at Zelda. When Zelda released for the NES, it had no tutorial at all. I remember collecting my firsrt blue coin. I saw that I had 5 more green coins just for picking it up. If you pick up a blue coin in a modern Zelda, you can expect to see a screen pop-up like this:

"Congrats! You have found your first blue coin! A blue coin is worth 5 green coins! With coins, you can purchase items from the store. In order to find a store, push "Start" on your controller and look at the map. If you have enough coins to buy an item, then click on the item you want to buy. If you don't have enough coins, then you will need to get more coins. In order to get more coins, you must either defeat enemies or find them. You can find them by burning bushes, moving rocks, selling goods, or gambling. A green coin is worth 1 coin. A blue coin is worth 5 coins. I red coin is worth 20 coins. A purple coin is worth 50 coins. A diamond coin is worth 100 coins. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."

Wow! Finding something in a Zelda game is like having to click through an entire book.

If there must be a tutorial, there should be an optional link to a tutorial section of the game's website. This in-game "hands-on" crap is just stupid.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by bcbully

Please get rid of tutorials.

I think they do more harm than good for first impressions. After trying a new beta still under NDA, I just had to stop and say "man this sucks." Now I wasn't talking about the game it's self, because that felt good, real good, but the tutorial made me exit game.

Give me a clear concise help center/guide/maual then let me figure it out. Stop this bad tutorial nonsense.

/endrant

you sound like the normal eve online random :P

first, skip tutorial.

second, ask the shit out of "/general" to answer all questions that tutorial would have answered on doing.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Thane

I think they do more harm than good for first impressions. After trying a new beta still under NDA, I just had to stop and say "man this sucks." Now I wasn't talking about the game it's self, because that felt good, real good, but the tutorial made me exit game.

Give me a clear concise help center/guide/maual then let me figure it out. Stop this bad tutorial nonsense.

/endrant

first, skip tutorial.

second, ask the shit out of "/general" to answer all questions that tutorial would have answered on doing.

I did that on my first EVE toon >.<

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Surprised on honored mmorpg.com
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Thane

/endrant

first, skip tutorial.

I did that on my first EVE toon >.<

EVE tutorial: They show you a giant star map of the Galaxy and an arrow that says "You are here..." you go crazy :)

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Dont you check global chat? Most of the questions are retarded like how do I attack? How do I open my bag?

I visualize the average mmo player as a 12 year old child with down syndrome untill they prove otherwise. And so do the developers.