Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I log into PoE to play

13»

Comments

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Psychow

The problem I had with the outcry over always-online for D3 was, except in certain circumstances where not everyone has good internet, it really didn't make any difference. Yet it was a HUGE isuue for people that weren't really affected.

Why isn't it HUGE now?

As already stated above, persistant areas full of players (very similiar to GW1).. It really is that simple.  

If it were like D3, things would be different.  I bought D3 for the single-player experience.  It irked me that I had to login and deal with latency + gold spam while playing my single-player game.  PoE is a different beast..  Different design.  As stated, it makes sense that we login for PoE.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Well for starters, it's free. And PoE actually has player hubs etc and the world is more interconnected, sort of like GW1. Think of it as MORPG.

D3 was a fucking scam, whatever Blizztard might say about why it's online only etc there is only one reason, they want to combat piracy. Now you tell me who get's the short end of the stick because of that. They don't respect you, they never will to them you are a big fat cow waiting to get milked.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

So I log into PoE to play and I think to myself. Didn't D3 catch a crapload of flack for requiring people to log into play?

Why does PoE get a free ride? Where are the complaints? Where are the people screaming for PoE to play offline? Why the double standard?????????

I personally don't care if I need to be online or not, but the outcry over this for D3 and nothing for PoE seems pretty one-sided...

D3 was a follow up to a successful single player game with optional co-op.The game was B2P and many people purchased a physical copy of it.

PoE is providing you with a free game, more akin to Guild Wars 1 with hubs and instances, on the provision that you download it and play it online. Not really the same.

It's about expectation. People who enjoyed the original D1 and D2 but played it offline, don't have an option to play D3 offline. Not that you would want to play it at all, boring shallow game that it is.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Banquetto

You don't earn any hipster credibility by hating on a small indie developer. Not like you do for hating on the most successful company in the industry.

I'm pretty sure that is the "real" answer. I don't buy the lame "because it's free" argument and I also don't buy the "so you can see other people in towns" argument.

It's clearly just a double standard that is used when judging a game from Blizzard against any other game.

I do think, however that if there wasn't an AH, then the on-line requirement wouldn't have been required by Blizzard. So, outside the hipsters, that is probably the reason why. It's an extra layer of complaint to pile on the AH hate.

Wierd that you don't buy it, it's pretty straight-forward.  It is exactly the reason it doesn't bother me, personally.

It's free, so I'm more forgiving.

It's an F2P revenue model, so I understand that they need people online for that to work.  There aren't many single-player F2P games, you know?

How does that not make sense?

That the little towns have other players is secondary.  I mean, they could have offered a SP mode for that, of course.. but on the other hand, they're trying to encourage PUGs, and maybe they even want to balance the game around grouping, so I can see why they wouldn't want most of their player base in their own SP versions.  What I don't understand is why D3 didn't do the same thing - it would have given them more of an excuse, at least.

Instead, Blizzard's excuse is the auction system, which makes an especially  terrible excuse, considering it's also what ruins the game.  

POE balances the negative with positives.  D3 uses a negative to create a bigger negative.  I guess for someone that enjoys D3 just fine and all that, these might seem like inconsequential nitpicks, but they're really not.  Certainly, not for me.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    It's free.

^QFT

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    It's free.

^this

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

So I log into PoE to play and I think to myself. Didn't D3 catch a crapload of flack for requiring people to log into play?

Why does PoE get a free ride? Where are the complaints? Where are the people screaming for PoE to play offline? Why the double standard?????????

I personally don't care if I need to be online or not, but the outcry over this for D3 and nothing for PoE seems pretty one-sided...

its free, sorry....

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

This is simple. PoE is a free to play game of which it's cash shop is solely based on cosmetics and stash tabs. Nobody would need any of this in single player since half the fun of cosmetics is showing off.

Diablo 3 cost $60 and didn't have near the same level of complexity. I don't even count D3 as being in the same class as D2, Torchlight 2, and PoE.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Considering POE isn't a sequel to an offline(with option to play online)game they don't have to fit to a certain standard to players. Also because an indie developing company that can put out a higher quality product than a multi-million dollar company with a smaller budget maybe can get some slack?

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

I don't even like this game.

OP.... really?

It's F2P with cosmetic cash shop

Saying "oh just sell dlc like other single player games" doesn't even make sense.

You are trying to hard.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Crynswind

I don't even like this game.

OP.... really?

It's F2P with cosmetic cash shop

Saying "oh just sell dlc like other single player games" doesn't even make sense.

You are trying to hard.

Agreed.

This has got to be a troll thread. If not then... wow.

• CarpfaceCarpface Member Posts: 41
    In theory, always-online systems like that of Diablo 3 and PoE supposedly help to prevent cheating and hacking, keeping as much as possible serverside rather than clientside. That's the conventional defense anyway, whether you believe it or not. That said, though, I think the divergent responses goes a little beyond some righteous indy nerd rage. When you pay $60 dollars for a fundamentally singleplayer game that nonetheless requires an internet connection, that--to many people--looks a lot like DRM. When a game is F2P like PoE, however, such conspiracies don't really hold water.  I think that's why PoE recieves less vocal criticism in this regard.
  • BrandonMBrandonM Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Now for everyone saying "it has GW 1 style HUB" and "the GW 1 style HUB encourages PUGs" how often do you pay attention to anyone in town? You don't, you click your quest givers sell your stuff and go back into your single-player phase....

Asus Rampage IV Formula
    Intel i7-3820 3.6 GHz O.C 4.7 GHz
    Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
    ASUS STRIX 1070 OC
    Corsair XMS3 16 GB 1600 MHz
    OCZ Vertex 460A 250 GB SSD
    WD 1 TB HDD
    Corsair TX 750M
    Cooler Master HAF X

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by BrandonM
    Now for everyone saying "it has GW 1 style HUB" and "the GW 1 style HUB encourages PUGs" how often do you pay attention to anyone in town? You don't, you click your quest givers sell your stuff and go back into your single-player phase....

Just because you play the game that way doesn't mean we all do...

• BrandonMBrandonM Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Didn't say you all do but do you sit there and look at the nameless characters thinking hmm I want to join his quest? No you go to noticeboard or post in general chat

Asus Rampage IV Formula
    Intel i7-3820 3.6 GHz O.C 4.7 GHz
    Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
    ASUS STRIX 1070 OC
    Corsair XMS3 16 GB 1600 MHz
    OCZ Vertex 460A 250 GB SSD
    WD 1 TB HDD
    Corsair TX 750M
    Cooler Master HAF X

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

The problem I had with the outcry over always-online for D3 was, except in certain circumstances where not everyone has good internet, it really didn't make any difference. Yet it was a HUGE isuue for people that weren't really affected.

Why isn't it HUGE now?

Because it's a free, online game with a persistent hub/town. Players didn't have to shell out $60 for PoE to log in. D3 players did. Math is hard - wear a helmet.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

MMOARPG = MMOARPG.

I hate online games that require you to be online.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Because it's free to play.

Hope that helps you not  to ask meaningless questions

• museandalimuseandali Member UncommonPosts: 67

Short answer? this is a board full of hipsters and anything by blizzard is automatically Mainstream and therefore sucks.