Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the population nowadays?

fafnir123fafnir123 Member UncommonPosts: 17

Hi...

The last time i was about to buy the game a friend of mine told me that the population is really low when he played it.So i had postpone the effort of buying it.

But now seeing a new content and a whole lot of update i got curious again and wanna know.

So basically just wanna know was is the population?Is there a lot of people in the beginner area?Or all of the player are just focus in one town only nowadays

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Leveling zones will generally be pretty dead except maybe on a handful of servers at peak time.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

I started playing again a few days ago after about a month break.

Kept bumping into people in a lv 55 zone as well as in a starting zone, so it looks like it's doing alright, at least to me.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I usually never do a DE with less than half a dozen people and on the weekend I was finding there were too many people for some.  It's not as populated as it was at launch and I consider that a blessing.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KWLGAMEKWLGAME Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I usually never do a DE with less than half a dozen people and on the weekend I was finding there were too many people for some.  It's not as populated as it was at launch and I consider that a blessing.

man , usually , in weekend , players are more or less ?

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

imo it's not a problem at all when it comes to DE's, most of them can be done solo with some effort.

The world bosses are bit different, since they are almost impossible to solo and when no one is around it kinda bums me out.

So i joined a guild to help others and get some help myself.

It's all working out so far.

Thats why there are guilds.....if you realy want to solo the whole game them maybe a single player RPG is more your thing instead of MMORPG's.

just saying.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Leveling zones will generally be pretty dead except maybe on a handful of servers at peak time.

My experience has been quite different at most times. Have you tried socializing and showing people on a map where the events are so they might join you?

There Is Always Hope!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by keithian

My experience has been quite different at most times. Have you tried socializing and showing people on a map where the events are so they might join you?

from previous posts, I'm under the impression he hasn't played in a long time.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by fafnir123

Hi...

The last time i was about to buy the game a friend of mine told me that the population is really low when he played it.So i had postpone the effort of buying it.

But now seeing a new content and a whole lot of update i got curious again and wanna know.

So basically just wanna know was is the population?Is there a lot of people in the beginner area?Or all of the player are just focus in one town only nowadays

It is usually kinda low in the mid level range (like 40-60 or so) but not as bad as most games out there. The other zones are all pretty active though, especially the high level ones. The population is high in general and has remained high since launch pretty much, but people spread out a ton. Right now though since the patch there is a TON of people playing. Guesting will help allow people to zerg certain servers to populate them for leveling and the new changes give people a reason to play every day so that helps keep them populated too. I think that this should keep up for a while especially considering the massive patch coming in February. I would say now is a good a time as ever to play. If you are a hardcore player you may run into lower population areas in the wee hours of the morning, but if you do some research you can probably find out which servers to guest to that have higher population at those hours. Even then though it has really high population in the outdoor world compared to most MMOs.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Population is increasing compared to the last couple of months.

There will be people in every zone.

Cursed Shore always has a ton of people.

Divinity's Reach->Queensdale->KesseX Hills->Gendarren Fields->LA axis is very populated.

All other starter zones are well populated.

It is possible some servers and some time zones don't follow this pattern.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    couldn't tell ya.  haven't played since Halloween.
  • andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    there are a lot of higly populated servers and a lot of full ones 
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I hop on every once and a while, I have characters in the mid-range and I usually play really late night. So personally I don't see many people.

When compared to the first two months, it's pretty dead IMO. All events used to have hoards of people now it's usually 2-3 sometimes none, at the times I play at least. Peak times are still fine i'm sure.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Most of the population will be in dungeons (primarily explorable mode AC and CoF), Fractals, or WvW.  If you are on an active server you will see people and have a few to do dynamic events in the open world leveling, but increased rewards in dungeons and fractals makes people favor these more.  It can feel a bit sparse at times (especially in mid level zones) but I never would call it dead as you tend to at least run into players now and then and usually aren't the only one doing dynamic events.

Rewards have been increased in Orr so that zone should see a bit more activity too.  Karma is more valuable now too with the latest patch so you might find people doing more events in the open world too (especially Orr) as it and WvW are better ways to get karma than dungeons and fractals.

While population in the open world was dwindling and should be increasing slightly now, but population overall seems very good.  There are a lot of people doing dungeons, fractals, and WvW and any group you post on the gw2lfg site you should have people /join you within 30 seconds. 

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

I hop on every once and a while, I have characters in the mid-range and I usually play really late night. So personally I don't see many people.

When compared to the first two months, it's pretty dead IMO. All events used to have hoards of people now it's usually 2-3 sometimes none, at the times I play at least. Peak times are still fine i'm sure.

Yeah I mean if you are playing any mmo ever created after a few months out late at night it will generally be pretty dead. Considering how long it has been since launch though there are still plenty of people around at those times compared to other MMOs. Hell, WoW (the most populated MMO) has dead zones at low level late at night even with cross-realm zones lol. (basically the opposite of overflow servers)

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Divinity's Reach->Queensdale->KesseX Hills->Gendarren Fields->LA axis is very populated.

Guess you are just making assumptions, if not please indicate your source because as far as I am concerned (EU server) the overall population has been going downhill for a little while.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

If there are any area in your server where you will find people (other than cities) it is the Norn area DE chain MAW event.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Frozen_Maw

It is considered the best farm DE pre-30 and slightly less at 30+.

DE starts every 30mins (or so), there's about 3 other DEs that starts near it during 'downtime' and you get a chest at the end; one 80 got an exotic 80 Greatsword from it today.

Or wait for Reddit / SA to make up its mind and guest to w/e the server the horde decides.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Sirca

Guess you are just making assumptions, if not please indicate your source because as far as I am concerned (EU server) the overall population has been going downhill for a little while.

1. On Gandara theres a c**pload more people, WvWvW queues were 2 hours long on some BLs on sunday and there were no queues 1 month ago, all areas are more populated than month ago (i level alt currently). I actually considered moving to a lower populated server because of this (and Gandara is DEFINATELY not among heaviest populated servers)

2. They said they have steady rise on logins on this very site (FTW live).

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm wondering how much of the population density issue is that the game has become top-heavy.  I know the idea was that character scaling would turn low and mid-level zones into endgame content.  Maybe this didn't work as well as intended.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I'm wondering how much of the population density issue is that the game has become top-heavy.  I know the idea was that character scaling would turn low and mid-level zones into endgame content.  Maybe this didn't work as well as intended.

The mid-level 20-70 being a barren wasteland is known; Anet called it a 'problem / mistake'.

More than half of Anet's 2013 blog was 'This is how we will FIX IT!' 

Think this patch will help though, esp since hearts now give out Karma.

And right now, Karma > ALL due to that Orr jewel box.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Your guessing is incorrect.

My observations were an increase in population .

Arenanet confirmed my own observations.

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/19/gw2-colin-johanson-mmorpg-livestream-transcript-jan-18/

"We actually hit our base point with GW2 where for a month we saw the same login numbers and every week for the last 5 weeks it has being slowly going up and that is really exciting for us."

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/19/gw2-colin-johanson-mmorpg-livestream-transcript-jan-18/

"We actually hit our base point with GW2 where for a month we saw the same login numbers and every week for the last 5 weeks it has being slowly going up and that is really exciting for us."

That statement from Johanson is open ended and means very little.  If noone at all logged in to GW2 before five weeks ago and then ten people did for one week and then another five the next week, five more atfer another week, etc then the game would still be pretty dead in terms of who you see.  Also whats being stated is logging on, but how long do those people stay on? There's far too many variable to prove anything but if it suits your agenda I suppose..

As for the other poster if he's basing it on he's own experience and not what Johanson is claiming then you cannot tell if the entire game is dying or not, only on your server.  As you can only change that once every seven days it's not particularly accurate and how GW2 judges server activity, (https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192), it's always difficult to tell.

As for OP, being on the highest, 'populated', server on the EU it's basically top and bottom heavy with a sparse area in the middle.  There are the usually bunch running around areas like Orr and so on and there always seems to be a healthy amount rerolling in different stating areas.  Past lv25 though and there seems to be less people about in the leveling areas and that can make some of the DEs awkward, (the game is built for pick up grouping, soloing most of these is just tedious).

You mileage on other servers may vary but on Desolation, (the server I'm on), this is what I've found.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i am not even sure why this is a question

the population is at least 3 million  every single person can come back at any time

your always going to find people to play within any area  and  suprising how quickly you find  3-5 people all grouping up for the events

a example of this  was on sunday i was  in a lvl 50 zone wandering around  at 6 in the morning  suddenly  there was 4 of us doing events

this  happens in all zones  everywhere   the  only zones i found with less population was  between 50-60  mainly because people are  always rushing through these trying to get to 80 as quick as possible

Originally posted by Omnifish

That statement from Johanson is open ended and means very little.  If noone at all logged in to GW2 before five weeks ago and then ten people did for one week and then another five the next week, five more atfer another week, etc then the game would still be pretty dead in terms of who you see.  Also whats being stated is logging on, but how long do those people stay on? There's far too many variable to prove anything but if it suits your agenda I suppose..

As for the other poster if he's basing it on he's own experience and not what Johanson is claiming then you cannot tell if the entire game is dying or not, only on your server.  As you can only change that once every seven days it's not particularly accurate and how GW2 judges server activity, (https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192), it's always difficult to tell.

As for OP, being on the highest, 'populated', server on the EU it's basically top and bottom heavy with a sparse area in the middle.  There are the usually bunch running around areas like Orr and so on and there always seems to be a healthy amount rerolling in different stating areas.  Past lv25 though and there seems to be less people about in the leveling areas and that can make some of the DEs awkward, (the game is built for pick up grouping, soloing most of these is just tedious).

You mileage on other servers may vary but on Desolation, (the server I'm on), this is what I've found.

I'm on desolation as well, and it is very well populated, with people all around.

Your example is nice in theory but has no merit in reality because the game was never dead.

What Johanson said was - "we hit a low in log ins, then we had that same number log in for a month and then each consecutive week, we had more players than the week before."

So, for example, 100 every day for a month, then 105 next week, then 110 the following, then 115, then 120, then 125.

Again, if one compares it to launch it will be lower, but launch was crazy high - there were more ppl in XFire playing GW2 at launch than WoW:MoP at launch.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Not on Far Shiverpeaks, plenty of people running around.

Sure some zones are somewhat dead, but if u link DEs in chat, sure enough people will join in.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Last time I played (few weeks ago) I constantly had to skip DEs because of the lack of people. The few times I found other players they just ignored me (probably bots). And sadly I play on a top WvW server.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann