Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I log into PoE to play

Comments

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Psychow

So I log into PoE to play and I think to myself. Didn't D3 catch a crapload of flack for requiring people to log into play?

Why does PoE get a free ride? Where are the complaints? Where are the people screaming for PoE to play offline? Why the double standard?????????

I personally don't care if I need to be online or not, but the outcry over this for D3 and nothing for PoE seems pretty one-sided...

They have been honest and upfront about their online only DRM since the beginning. It's their right to do this and we as customers have zero say in the issue. Having online only DRM, despite it's drawbacks, is an excellent way to combat piracy and battle fraud. Besides, the game is free to play and they aren't forcing anyone to play. Blizzard, despite the mess that was D3, also didn't deserve all the crap they got for their online DRM decision. 

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by BitterClinger
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Originally posted by BitterClinger

Originally posted by Psychow So I log into PoE to play and I think to myself. Didn't D3 catch a crapload of flack for requiring people to log into play?  Why does PoE get a free ride? Where are the complaints? Where are the people screaming for PoE to play offline? Why the double standard?????????
    The difference is that A LOT of the D3 player base (not me because I'm always online when I play games) came from D2, and I would guess most of them still play single-player or multiplayer games. Heck, most of them still play D2!!!

I'd be curious to hear where you think the PoE playerbase is coming from, if not D2?

Well, I think the current batch of POE players are more MMO-centric than the D2 player base as a whole. Also, you can't buy buy POE off the shelf, take it home, and install it like you could Diablo 3.

So yeah, I could be wrong about all of that. I have no insights into the hard data on any of this. However, I personally know a few gamers who purchased Diablo 3 at the store thinking it was basically the next version of Diablo and never expected an "always online" component.

The ability to research things in advance on the interent is a wonderous thing. The ability to read the side of the game box is even more wonderous.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    It's free, it's epic, it's better than Diablo 2,mindfucking customization etcetc.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by tollbooth
    How the hell to you expect a free to play game to make money if you play it offline?

Exactly.  If their entire money making from release is to come from cosmetic shop items, how would that work if the game wasn't online?

lol silly OP

Sell DLC,  just like other single player games.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Because it does not offer a single player part.
    Originally posted by Niburu

Seriously? I didn't know that. I didn't know you were required to group in this game. I'm still at the beginning at the first town-ish.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

Seriously? I didn't know that. I didn't know you were required to group in this game. I'm still at the beginning at the first town-ish.

You don't have to group,I don't know where the no single player part came from.In reality it plays like D3 but when you go to town's you see other's.Trading is face to face with no ah.It's an interesting concept,but it work's very well.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

I played D1 and D2, so I am obviously biased, but:

1. Blizz touted the online only feature as a DRM method.

2. RMAH - the root of al evil. This was a stupid money grab from Blizzard that required strong DRM

3. PoE is the first in line, so no prior expectations.

I never played D3 because of the DRM controversy. If they created a GW1 style game (or PoE like), there wouold be no complaints.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

You don't have to group - but you have to be online :-)

Which is fine by me.....

Just my 2 cents...

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122
    How the hell to you expect a free to play game to make money if you play it offline?

Exactly.  If their entire money making from release is to come from cosmetic shop items, how would that work if the game wasn't online?

lol silly OP

And how many of your other single player games are free, if at all?

• kethzenkethzen Member Posts: 1

I don't know where this topic comes from, be a fanboyish attempt to take a slap on PoE or whatever but basically the thing is that D3 is not PoE, so you cant compare the backgrounds of the two situations.

-it's free, when people pay for something they usually think they have more right to demand things than when playing something for free (by demand i mean reasonable stuff and demanding it with RESPECT, not bitching nonsense like we all see almost everywhere nowadays).

-DiabloSeries had an abysmall player-base accostumed to one thing and the changes made from D2 to D3 were too radical, I'm leaving up to you to say if the change was for good or worse but i think we all can say that the changes were big (skills, stats, items and what to look in them, connectivity, etc, etc ,etc). People don't take big changes well so the online issue was one more thing to bitch about. Probably it got more heat than it deserved, but still that has nothing to do with PoE.

PoE is a brand new project which promised to deliver something and they are trying to do so. (Again i leave it up to you to judge if they are being succesful at it or not). The game was planned from the beggining and they aimed to reach the mmo oriented userbase as well as the offline ones (nowadays much more used to online games that back then).

Lets face it, D3 said from the beggining that you would need internet to play it, if you bought it knowing that you should blame you and not blizzard when you start bitching about the online thing. But we can undestand that, a lot of diablo players got onboard when online gaming wasn't that big/popular. While PoE started at a time when online gaming is huge and the average of people with access to internet is a monster compared to what it whas when D1 and D2 came out.

I can agree with you that regarding the online issue D3 got more crap than it should, but that has nothing to do with Poe.

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by kethzen

I don't know where this topic comes from, be a fanboyish attempt to take a slap on PoE or whatever but basically the thing is that D3 is not PoE, so you cant compare the backgrounds of the two situations.

-it's free, when people pay for something they usually think they have more right to demand things than when playing something for free (by demand i mean reasonable stuff and demanding it with RESPECT, not bitching nonsense like we all see almost everywhere nowadays).

-DiabloSeries had an abysmall player-base accostumed to one thing and the changes made from D2 to D3 were too radical, I'm leaving up to you to say if the change was for good or worse but i think we all can say that the changes were big (skills, stats, items and what to look in them, connectivity, etc, etc ,etc). People don't take big changes well so the online issue was one more thing to bitch about. Probably it got more heat than it deserved, but still that has nothing to do with PoE.

PoE is a brand new project which promised to deliver something and they are trying to do so. (Again i leave it up to you to judge if they are being succesful at it or not). The game was planned from the beggining and they aimed to reach the mmo oriented userbase as well as the offline ones (nowadays much more used to online games that back then).

Lets face it, D3 said from the beggining that you would need internet to play it, if you bought it knowing that you should blame you and not blizzard when you start bitching about the online thing. But we can undestand that, a lot of diablo players got onboard when online gaming wasn't that big/popular. While PoE started at a time when online gaming is huge and the average of people with acces to internet is a monster compared to what it whas when D1 and D2 came out.

I can agree with you that regarding the online issue D3 got more crap than it should, but that has nothing to do with Poe.

And those connection erros like error #37 and the patching problems just added more fuel to the fire. They totally deserved that I think. Blizzard has ran WoW for 8+ years with 10+ millions players and yet they couldn't get D3 servers working right this time. What a joke.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Ah sorry i should explain it better. Whenever you are in a town you see other players and can interact with them. Late ron they will offer a cuthroat league in which people can kill and loot you( or you kill and loot them).

While in MMO's ( note PoE is not an MMO but i hub based game like GW1 for example) you are permanent online, you can also do solo quests in your own instanced world.

A single player mode is something that happens on your PC alone with no possibility of interaction.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

So I log into PoE to play and I think to myself. Didn't D3 catch a crapload of flack for requiring people to log into play?Why does PoE get a free ride? Where are the complaints? Where are the people screaming for PoE to play offline? Why the double standard?????????

You don't earn any hipster credibility by hating on a small indie developer. Not like you do for hating on the most successful company in the industry.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    D3 is not an MMO. It is an action RPG. The previous titles had the very nice option for you to play with your friends, if you wanted. The online co-op was a fun feature, but at it's core Diablo is a single player game. Not to mention how many times I could not play D3 because of connection problems was also an issue.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

So I log into PoE to play and I think to myself. Didn't D3 catch a crapload of flack for requiring people to log into play?

Why does PoE get a free ride? Where are the complaints? Where are the people screaming for PoE to play offline? Why the double standard?????????

You don't earn any hipster credibility by hating on a small indie developer. Not like you do for hating on the most successful company in the industry.

I'm pretty sure that is the "real" answer. I don't buy the lame "because it's free" argument and I also don't buy the "so you can see other people in towns" argument.

It's clearly just a double standard that is used when judging a game from Blizzard against any other game.

I do think, however that if there wasn't an AH, then the on-line requirement wouldn't have been required by Blizzard. So, outside the hipsters, that is probably the reason why. It's an extra layer of complaint to pile on the AH hate.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

lol silly OP

OK, then PoE should charge 60$ for the box and charge for DLC they develop later.  Or are they suppose to give you the game for free, not require online, and just charge for Vanity/DLC? 

Why do I feel like I'm the only person around here still living in reality?

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Because I'm not paying $60 for PoE. 
  • hraethhraeth Member UncommonPosts: 34

While I don't think that the ONLY reason is because the game is free that is definitely one logical and sensible reason.  Let's look at it in another context.

1.  Company A, who is known for making great burgers in the past, develops a new buger and hypes the heck out of it.  People who enjoy bugers from Company A are excited because Company A hasn't delievered any new burgers for a while and if the trend from their previous burgers can be believed this might just be the best burger ever made!  And at only $60 it's a steal!  When the burger fails to live up to expectations the consumer is angry.  They had expectations that they believed to be well founded on the history of Company A and then Company A delievers this TRIPE!  GIMME... MY... MONEY... BACK!

2.  Company B has no history.  They're brand new.  They've decided to make burgers.  They give out their burgers for free.  Their free burgers suck in all the same ways that Company A's new burger did.  Consumer throws the burger away, shrugs, and thinks... well, you get what you pay for.

The hype, the cost, and the percieved value (for said cost) are factors that come into play in the consumer reaction.  Free makes a HUGE difference in consumer reaction.  Saying the price difference isn't relavent between games is like saying that the attractivness level isn't relavent when choosing a girl/boyfriend.  Ugly is ugly, pricey is pricey.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I haven't read all the replies so I don't know if anyone touched on what I'm about to say or not.  It's simply because D3 was marketed as a Single Player or Multiplayer game and no one saw the point in having to login -- and deal with login issues -- to play Single Player.  PoE on the other hand markets itself as a MMO -- though some would disagree due to all the instancing like Guild Wars -- and thus no one has an issue with logging in to play since that's typically what you do to play a MMO.
  • AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by iamrta
    because poe isn't d3.

No....but PoE is a complete clone of D3...it just added more stuff D3 didn't put in the game. It's pretty sad the majority of PoE was cloned right down to the UI and looks in general. No originality whatsoever. Cheap.....

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

I too dont buy the "its free" thing, my crap is free to so it must be better than yours right? Now back to topic I LOVE d2 and to me NOTHING will ever be better than D2 in its gameplay, EVER! There are NUMERUS things i do not like that PoE has to offer but i bite the bullet and play any ways. I for one would GLADLY pay 59.99 for it...actually i wish it was B2P. Would keep alot of the kiddies outta general chat. just cuz sumthign is free dosnt make it better.

better than D2 you say? HA! Dont make me laugh...it may be on par with D2 but no way is it better than D2...players are already trying to get it turned into a WoW clone by suggesting WoWish gameplay tweaks to eh Devs in hopes they imply it. the biggest one is a AH wich the Devs aready stated they will not be inserting EVER thank god. 

PoE is a great game, probly the BEST game i played this year. I see alot of ppl saying its better than D3 and comparing to to D3 and such in chat. This game is what D3 shud have been in my opinion, but in therory the best D3 would have been a graphical update of D2 with a new story. D2 was perfect and goes to show it by its fanbase and still loyal playerbase today.

If you were to tell me D3 had a worst launch than PoE i would lightly agree...lightly. During the first 3 days i coudnt even get on and play PoE and when i did i would play for 5 mins and get DCed then get stuck behind a 12000 player que, get back in game and server would go down and guess what your back in the 12000player que. Or you would be stuck in a zone and not be able to leave untill you get DCed or log....so PoE's launch is not as bad as D3 launch but still was bad.

PoE compaired to D3 wise PoE takes the cake but compaired to D2 its on par but not better than....Vetran D2 player here been playing since D2 was launched and still am to this day...

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I personally don't care if I need to be online or not, but the outcry over this for D3 and nothing for PoE seems pretty one-sided...

Its very simple, you didnt pay $50 for a copy of the game, and it doesn't have a single player campaign.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

As someone in this thread already mentioned, the company behind PoE is an indie developer which means that they have been sent by God to grace this Earth. They can't do anything wrong! Anyone who disagrees is disregarded as a heretic or even worse a WOW lover!

People who cried about no offline mode really pissed me off! You know why? Because the majority of them are not affected by it at all as they have a internet connection all the time and they can play by themselves if they wanted. But they are crying just as a matter of principle. I really hate it when people QQ just for the sake of seeking some kind of "high moral ground" in a video game!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I'm pretty sure that is the "real" answer. I don't buy the lame "because it's free" argument and I also don't buy the "so you can see other people in towns" argument.

It's clearly just a double standard that is used when judging a game from Blizzard against any other game.

I do think, however that if there wasn't an AH, then the on-line requirement wouldn't have been required by Blizzard. So, outside the hipsters, that is probably the reason why. It's an extra layer of complaint to pile on the AH hate.

Now i have no issue with D3 being online only myself its a shit game either way.. but POE was online only from the very start so everyone knew what it would be like.

maybe thats why some people are less worried about iy..