Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst ever purchases?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

For me it has to be.

SWTOR - The Collectors Edition.

I knew the game was crap, I played it in beta and hated it and yet for some reason I still got caught up in the hype as it had been so long since I played another MMO.

Guild Wars 2.

Everyone kept saying it was the most innovative MMO in years and it was completely different to everything else. I played it and I found it to be the exact same experience as before only with no world PVP which sucks even more. Instead there was the keep PVP from WAR but no mounts so it was constant long pointless runs.

I could also list, WAR, LOTRO, AoC, Dark and Light.... Remember that one? lol.

I keep getting caught up because there hasn't been an MMO I've liked since SWG was ruined on Nov 15th 2005. I dunno why I keep doing it to myself, I just want that experience of being in a world and yet none of these games feel like worlds, all just feel like games.

Comments

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

For me it was AION.

No idea what I was thinking.

Outside of MMORPGs, there's a number of impulse purchases on Steam I don't neccessarily regret (they were dirt cheap), but could've done without...

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Because I do research and have learned to think for myself, I don't regret any of my purchases.

Although a couple of CEs could have been bought at a discount later............

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Asheron's Call 2 or Tabula Rasa, I can't decide.

AC2 was nothing like its predecessor and pretty much a complete disappointment for me.  I ended up buying a second copy of AC1 (ebay'd my first account just before AC2 released).

Tabula Rasa was a hot mess.

Both games eventually shutdown.

*edit - thanks to poster below, I completely forgot about WAR.  Preordered based on fanatical guildmate's raving and never unwrapped the celophane.

Warhammer Online #1 worst purchase of my life.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I've never really been discontent with a purchase I made, while Rift and GW2 weren't as good as I hoped I still got enough out of them to at least justify the purchase(400 or so hours played).

400 hours may seem like a lot but MMOs are meant to be played for years in my opinion and 400 hours isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Vanguard is the only MMO I regret buying. And this was the time when the game was in a state it should've been when it first launched.

Yeah, it was easy to blame on the bugs and broken content...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    The WarZ. 
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

My list

2012:

Tera (combat didn't do it for me and the questing couldn't make up for it. not even elin failing harvesting)

GW2 (doesn't feel like a rpg or mmo to me, got cought in the hype)

SWTOR (ability lag killed it before level 15 for me)

Older:

WAR (couldn't get over the bugs at lanch. still there when i tried to resub. it made me resub to aoc which had then improved and i really enjoyed thereafter)

I've tried a lot of crap game but since most of them have been f2p it's not really a purchase.

There are probably a few I forget too, but I've usually been patient and avoided the really bad ones. 2012 was a really bad year for me, but I found some gems that make up for it :)

Some time ago I would list WoW, but as I got older, I started to enjoy the dungeons there a bit.

I've never gone all the way with the gear grind, but it's nice to pop in once a year and have a go at a dungeon, so it's not my worst anymore. But certanly not the best either.

• WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78

I keep getting caught up because there hasn't been an MMO I've liked since SWG was ruined on Nov 15th 2005.

Sony actually ruined Star Wars Galaxies in May of 2005 -- the Wookies expansion that coincided with one of those prequel movie abominations released that May, was the roll-out of the "Combat Upgrade" debacle, a precursor to the "New Game Experience" fiasco.

You could almost see George Lucas' greasy fingerprints all over that expansion and hear him croak to Sony "You guys better push out something for that Star Wars game of yours so you can cross promote it with (( whichever episode 1/2/3 that was released in May 05 ))".

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    SWTOR without a doubt. I was so eager for that game to suceed too which makes it so much harder to admit it was absolute shite. It was even worse that Warhammer Online, but at least I had more fun in that game than SWTOR.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I've managed to skip most of the games I would have regreted purchasing.

Easily the top two on the list would have been SWTOR and WAR.  Played SWTOR when it went F2P and thought to myself that I'm glad I didn't buy this and pay a subscription.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Tabula Rasa CE (it had really cool real world items... But i can not say i got any real use out of the game.)

Other then that i can not really think of anything i have bought that i regret (gaming wise that is) and truth be told i have been fairly lucky when it comes to CE's and other expensive stuff as i have managed to pic, up both a Wings of Liberty CE and the SW:ToR CE for 30-40$ each and i got all three of the Guild Wars stand-alone boxes for that price.

So even if i am not fully statisfied with a game i rarley feel that i did not get my money worth,

I still love my WAR CE... It have the mass of small aircraft carrier and look so nice.

This have been a good conversation

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

worst for me was Aion, could not even play free month.

second worst was GW2, as it far to be what it promised, far to be even what GW1 was.

if we can add to purchase money spend on f2p with lot of regrets it will be Runes of Magic.

Happy I never bought SWTOR, LOTRO, TERA and many others I was hypo about.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Because I do research and have learned to think for myself, I don't regret any of my purchases.

Although a couple of CEs could have been bought at a discount later............

I'm with Lantern, if you're a so-called "conscious customer" (which is a lame term, but yep, you should buy anything only with a rational mind), then there's not much to regret :)

Of course everybody can slip up sometimes... my slip up could've been SW:TOR (2 boxes... oh my), but even in that case my problem was only the monthly fee and not with the game, so based on the preferred f2p and the latest tweaks on it, I think it wasn't a regrettable purchase either.

And for CE's - totally agree :)

Edit: some of you mention TR - it wasn't a bad purchase since the game was good, I think nobody could've estimate such a short server uptime :I but I loved it while it lasted, I don't consider it as a regrettable buy.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Most recent was GW2 thats for sure.. got utterly bored of that game within a week.. I was lucky and picked the game up pretty cheap tho.

trying to think of somthing worse that I spent my money on and nothing is popping into my head at the moment.. i guess WOW was a bad purchase as well, but i did get a few weeks gaming out of that before i got bored with it..

Also TR was not a good game LOL.. i was in beta for that and realised it was bad no never brought it. the game was a good idea but was a complete mess.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    I regret buying The Secret World and Aion.
  • NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Age of Conan. That was the only MMORPG that dissapointed me right in the first day of playing it...
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Also TR was not a good game LOL.. i was in beta for that and realised it was bad no never brought it. the game was a good idea but was a complete mess.

LOL

Somewhat agree, but my taste is differ from the average, for example I love AoC since launch while most people agrees that AoC was also a bugfest mess at that time...  but ok, so "TR was a good game - imo" :)

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168
    Aion. I suckered myself into buying the digital CE... and while the game itself is not THAT bad, albeit excessively grindy back at release, the folks I ended up with ruined the whole experience, and made me end up regretting having bought the whole thing... especially the CE. The F2P conversion only made me regret buying the CE even more. And that was the first, only and last time I pre-ordered an MMO.
  • MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    The Secret World was probably the worst buy for me. That and Darkfall: Unholy Wars
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I know a lot people really dislike WAR but that was one game I really enjoyed. One of my favorite classes ever was the zealot. I played that game for several months.

My least favorite was probably Horizons.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Rift. So boring, wish I never wasted that money.
  • sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

For me?
    GW2. Wasted 60$ on a preorder from TrollNet :/
    The manifesto was pure hotair. The implementation ranged from at best shallow to simply not there and in most cases even the complete opposite (=same old).

In other games i at least enjoyed parts of the ride for a month. Here, i keept waiting.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

I agree with the OP; by far the worst money wasted for me (not in MMORPGs alone!) was SWTOR Collector's Edition.

Second is Age of Conan some Cash-Shop package (I even feel ashamed to have admitted this).

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

1. Bought my ex-Wife a really nice house

2. Horizons

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Long-term worst ever purchase was Aion.  Most recent is Miner Wars 2081.