Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF game like FFXI

dortmunder23dortmunder23 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Hello

first of all, sorry for my english

im looking for a new game like FFXI. I'm playing FFXIV atm but its too "westernized".

I want a game where you cant hit lvl cap in few days, where you have to work alot to get anything done.

I liked the party grind, where ppl have to take care otherwise everyone wipe^^

I want death penality such as exp loos and delvl.

I want long fights even at low lvl where a full party have to work together and gain some exp.

I want a game where not everyone is a hero after 3 weeks.

All games today are just a quest grind to lvl cap and then the game begin... but in the past in FFXI the way to lvl cap was awesome best expierence i made ever in an mmo.

FFXI was not my first mmo, i played eq2 for about 2 years i liked the 24 man raids, but eq2 got too WoWish after a time.

The best features about ffxi, one char > different classe, the sub-job system, death penality, mobs who aggrod you run all the way after you so you have to take care where you walk.

I dont want like all dungeons be instanced

I DONT LIKE PVP :P

there are so many f2p games outhere maybe some of this games fit to my wishes

i already plaed some games like rift or lotr, but you can solo all your way to lvl cap, no one wants to group up

i hope you can help me out^^

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Hate to tell but a mmo like ff11 doesn't exist, they all pretty much easy mode wow clones now a days. Its the main reason I hate blizzard and wow, how ti destroyed the mmo genre, every damn mmo pretty much since wow has come out has been mostly the exact same game in a diffrent skin, repeating every year with a "new" mmo. I say "new" because although its a new game on the market it';ll most likely have that "i've been here and done this before" feeling pretty much right out of the box, which is a feeling you do not want as a first impression.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• dortmunder23dortmunder23 Member UncommonPosts: 8

hey thanks for your reply,

yeah i figuered it out all new mmo's are kinda the same shit in my eyes

the mmo market changed lol.

im have an eye on archeAge already. seems kinda fun, there should be more content in CBT then every released mmo lol

I also find this game http://www.lucidepic.com/

btw anyone have expierience with FFXI Dark-Star server? are there close to the original game? (Bugs, content ect.)

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    My friend is a core final fantasy fan with the turn based combat, and currently fulfilling his needs in the MMO Atlantica. It's f2p, and you wont hit endgame in a good while, you got like 120 lvls there or so. More about it on MMOhut.com
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Well its not out yet but, The repopulation sounds like it might be an amazeing game if they deliver what they promise, check out the website here: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• dylangdylang Member Posts: 12
    I think anoyone who played, and enjoyed FFXI, are still looking for one.
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    ffxi was great, i agree with everything the op said.  
  • SuffurSuffur Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Hate to tell but a mmo like ff11 doesn't exist, they all pretty much easy mode wow clones now a days. Its the main reason I hate blizzard and wow, how ti destroyed the mmo genre, every damn mmo pretty much since wow has come out has been mostly the exact same game in a diffrent skin, repeating every year with a "new" mmo. I say "new" because although its a new game on the market it';ll most likely have that "i've been here and done this before" feeling pretty much right out of the box, which is a feeling you do not want as a first impression.

Maybe you should hate other companies. Its not Blizzards fault they got 12 million subscribers and every company decided to copy them to make money. 

FFXI is dead and gone, going to have to deal with that. Closest would be EQ/EQ2 or actually FFXI. There hasnt been anything deep or complex in the genre for about 5+ years. 

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    Atlantica isn't bad for people who came from FFXI.  It tempts you into spending money really well though so watch it.  FFXI no longer exist in my eyes.  Such a shame what happened to it... would go back and play this second if they opened a server that stopped with ToAU.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

i dont know how anyone actually likes FFXI, my experience was....unable to solo anything +1 level higher than i was, and had to fight for my freaking life for things that were same level and even lower level than i was, it was rediculous. having to wait hours just to get into a party and into a grind spot(oh yea...grind spot...not to quest hahah...silly notion to think that the main source of exp should come from quests and not mindless grinding) for someone to make a mistake and die and the party swiftly dissolves soon after. 10 minutes killing for hours waitting. nothx.

i realize i played a long time ago so maybe things changed(i doubt it) but yea....how's that fun again?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Originally posted by Sephiroso

i dont know how anyone actually likes FFXI, my experience was....unable to solo anything +1 level higher than i was, and had to fight for my freaking life for things that were same level and even lower level than i was, it was rediculous. having to wait hours just to get into a party and into a grind spot(oh yea...grind spot...not to quest hahah...silly notion to think that the main source of exp should come from quests and not mindless grinding) for someone to make a mistake and die and the party swiftly dissolves soon after. 10 minutes killing for hours waitting. nothx.

i realize i played a long time ago so maybe things changed(i doubt it) but yea....how's that fun again?

That's about what I'd expect most people experience who played it for less then 6 months, and why It only had about 350k subs.  The people who played it for about a year though got to experience the most beautiful mmo ever made. 

FFXI combat was like a ballet to those who spent time with the game.  XP parties became something incredible fun that blow grinding quest out of the water.  I almost never had to LFG longer than 10minutes because reputation... which actually mattered more than any other game I've played.

Originally posted by tollbooth

That's about what I'd expect most people experience who played it for less then 6 months, and why It only had about 350k subs.  The people who played it for about a year though got to experience the most beautiful mmo ever made. 

FFXI combat was like a ballet to those who spent time with the game.  XP parties became something incredible fun that blow grinding quest out of the water.  I almost never had to LFG longer than 10minutes because reputation... which actually mattered more than any other game I've played.

there in lies the problem. I understand if a game takes a little time to really get into it. but have you even listened to yourself?

You state, you expect someone that's played the game for less than 6 months to hate it. but if you just stick with it for about a year or longer, you'll love it. What kinda crap is that?

I played that game for quite some time, i believe i kept subbed for 7 months(1 1 month, 2 3 months) but only played for maybe 4-5 months actively. If it takes 6 months to get into a game, thats a shitty game.

also, i loved the game to start with, its just i couldnt actually PLAY the game cause i had to wait for a party all the damn time. and yes i was in a guild, but i was dps as i couldn't handle tanking and healing is not fun for me.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Wizardry online has character designs that are obviously inspired by FF XI.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

there in lies the problem. I understand if a game takes a little time to really get into it. but have you even listened to yourself?

You state, you expect someone that's played the game for less than 6 months to hate it. but if you just stick with it for about a year or longer, you'll love it. What kinda crap is that?

FFXI is different from all other MMO's (except for EVE). It takes...well took (damn you abyssea exp!) a very long time to level up back in the day; I'm talking 6months to hit cap. Once you hit cap the best endgame experience of any mmo came to life.

I played that game for quite some time, i believe i kept subbed for 7 months(1 1 month, 2 3 months) but only played for maybe 4-5 months actively. If it takes 6 months to get into a game, thats a shitty game.

also, i loved the game to start with, its just i couldnt actually PLAY the game cause i had to wait for a party all the damn time. and yes i was in a guild, but i was dps as i couldn't handle tanking and healing is not fun for me.

If you were a DD in a LS I'm not totally sure what to tell you. I'm guessing you played pre-abyssea but not before 2004. There used to be stories of dragoons who would lfg for days straight without logging out and not get a single /tell lol.

FFXI is not only my favorite and IMO the most complete MMO of all time, it's my favorie game ever. I hope that FFXIV can at least rehash some of the memories I had from XI (during the 2004-2009ish period).

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Never followed this game, but recently playing it waiting for
    FFXIV:ARR. What happened to the game that made it unplayable for old-schoolers? I think its pretty good game so far.

i honestly dont remember what time frame i played FFXI, i know it was long before any expansion came out, i think i still have the case somewhere...or maybe not.

anyway, its still a problem, to make a game only about endgame, i mean WoW did it right, they made leveling pretty easy(to easy, it should have been the same leveling time as it was in vanilla, not stupid long, not group/party dependant like FFXI) and their main focus was the end game.

or they could have went the GW2 route and made 'the whole game end game', well  that didn't really work out to well for GW2 either but *shrug* i rather actually play the game than be forced to wait to play the game more than i actually play the game

but like i said, i understand i played an age ago so maybe things have changed since then, idk but that was my experience however.

I'm know exactly what i'm saying... it was very hard for people to get into.  I know that is shitty lol, and it's not like i'm trying to sell the game.  I'm simply trying to explain as simply as possible some things about the game.  The people who really got into FFXI all say the exact same thing - best mmo ever.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

FFXI was a gem that was disguised as a hardened piece of fecal matter. once you cleared away all the feces and got to the gem, it was the most beautiful thing you would have ever saw.

There was a system to that game that the japanese did not divulge with the americans, and it took us a long time to figure out what was going on. Once people did, the game was a masterpiece.  

This is why alot of people left. The system was too hard for them. Death penalty, no obvious quest givers. Actually talking to npc's who gave you enough clues to figure out what the quest needed you to do was part of its charm. Same thing with mobs that stalked you across the entire map. 

I myself sat around in lower jueno looking for parties for weeks. But the reason was because i was a bad player. I didnt know my class as well as i thought. Once i figured it out, then invites and exp came much more often. Yea, sometimes finding exp areas would cause some people to disband.. But there were so many areas to exp, that people were just scared to look. Only the brave were rewarded with good exp spots.

The game was not solo friendly. If you want to solo, play a rpg or another mmo. Final Fantasy has always been about small groups taking on the strongest of advasaries. Not one person ( unless your sephiroth) taking on the world.

After about 1year of being released in NA, We finally learned the tricks of the game, started our own wiki, started helping one another, etc. This was when the game really flourished. I WILL BE THE FIRST TO ADMIT THAT IT WAS HARD TO LEVEL. But that was also part of what made the game so great. YOU EARNED THE POWER YOU WIELD! 

So yea, there is no game like ffxi on the market. At this time FFXIV is more WOWish than i would like, so i am waiting for Elder scolls mmo, or Archeage. 

TO the op, just play witcher, witcher 2, demon souls, dark souls, skyrim, oblivion, mass effect series, All the final fantasy games, etc. These games are as close as your going to  get to what ffxi had. Maybe next year well see games that feel similar.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE, I WOULD HAVE PAID GOOD MONEY, UP TO 100.00 IF THEY DECIDED TO REMAKE FFXI WITH FFXIV GRAPHICS, AND EVERYTHING ELSE THE SAME. START THE GAME OFF LIKE IT DID WITH NA RELEASE, EXCEPT INCLUDE LEVEL SYNC UPON RELEASE, THEN SLOWLY RELEASE THE EXPANSION PACKS IN A TIMELY FASHION. I know for certain it would/will do better than ffxiv

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    Never followed this game, but recently playing it waiting for
    FFXIV:ARR. What happened to the game that made it unplayable for old-schoolers? I think its pretty good game so far.

Abyssea. It basically turned the game into a different game. A lot of people, myself included, hated it and left. Some who liked the lore and the world, but didnt like how ragequit hard it could be, loved the changes and stayed. I still stay in touch with about 7 old LS mates that still play the game, and look to be lifers at this point. As for me, even if they did make it like it was back in the day,I "freed" myself from the 7 days a week endgame addiction once, and am using the dated graphics as my flimsy excuse to never get trapped again.

/em Has flashbacks of "sleep camping" Nidhogg/Fafnir, 3 hour Dynamis's, and KA bot claimers!!!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I left FFXI for Mabinogi and enjoy it.  No level cap and it takes years to prove your worth.  Down side is the immature looking graphics which causes no one to take the game seriously.  Because it is based on a skill system and not leveling it takes a few years to start to feel powerful.  I don't advize it as a main game tho, great as a back up 2nd game for when your main game is on maintenance.  Since it's free you don't have to log in.

I'm looking forward to TERA and ArcheAge but I have my doubts my PC will have the graphic juice to run them.  It's not in my budget to upgrade my PC or rewire my house for a super computer so I'll prob end up playing a non mmo after said and done.

There has never been a game like FFXI.  All that game needed was a three diget restriction on the AH and it would have been the perfect game.  The economy sucked so bad I left and swore never to put myself thru that kind of stress again.

• raynforceraynforce Member UncommonPosts: 25

Here is a copy of a post I made to someone asking the exact same question on the FFCORE forums:

For anyone who loves the class system in the online Final Fantasy games, I would highly recommend you try out a game called Eden Eternal (Free to Play game).

Just like Final Fantasy online games, you can have one character that plays all classes depending on the roles you chose outside of battle. As you level individual classes, you gain access to certificates which are equip-able to give your character various advantages with other classes. It is in my opinion way more fun to play than FFXIV 1.0 was but with its cutsey anime style graphics, it may not be for everyone. The game can also get quite grindy past level 40 if you don't want to do solo guild quests OR never want to group up for xp parties.

[u]Wall of text warning, here be some tips for playing the game with vitually no money.[/u]

If you want to give the game a try, first let me give some basic tips. First, as this game is free to play, there is of course an item mall that uses real money to purchase items. DO NOT use it until you play the game until level 30 or so and see if you like it. There is NOTHING in there you need yet and you will be wasting money since you cannot set up a player booth yet (I will explain why this is a problem later in this mini-guide). Once you hit about level 30, for about 20$ you can get everything you will ever need until end game and beyond. Although you do not need to spend any money at all on the game, spending 20$ on it versus 0$ will significantly change the speed at which you progress. Allow me to give a short guide on how to be fully equipped in the game for about 20$.

There are a few key items that are item mall exclusive that you will want while leveling past 30. Everything can be obtained from other players in game for gold, but the amount of gold you will need to grind is significant so unless you want to spend a couple days/weeks doing nothing but grinding dungeons for gold, after level 30, I suggest you spend about 20$ on the game and follow my instructions (you should never need to spend more than 20$ total on this game unless you are really into vanity items or are wasting your gold).

The item mall items you will want are 4 bags, a few Auric Jewels (1 week double Character EXP and job EXP), and a full set of vanity items (Head, misc, body, back and 2 weapons). All vanity items give a small % stat boost to your character so they will be useful for as long as you play the game and never need to be replaced except for vanity reasons. Optionally you may want a mount (although they are available from a quest) and a little gold to get you off your feet.

With your 20$, buy some AP (the game's item mall currency). DO NOT spend that AP yet. Wait for a weekend. On weekends there is almost always a 'tiered spender' sale where you get something extra depending on the amount of AP you spend in the item mall. Unless you are very familiar with the game's market, you will want to spend all your AP on 'Eden Crystals' (That's right, you don't want to buy the item mall items you need, but rather, you are buying the item mall items that are reliably worth a lot of in-game gold). In addition to the Eden Crystals you just bought, the tiered spender will usually allow you to pick your rewards, so pick 'Eden Crystals' if they are available, if not (which is rare), you may want to wait for the next weekend tiered spender sale unless you are familiar with the game's economy.

Hopefully you will have obtained 60 or more 'Eden Crystals' with your AP (If you see any promotions that will somehow allow you to get more Eden Crystals, DO IT!). Now log into the game and head to the capital city of Aven, Channel 1 (By level 30 you will know how to get there). Although the game has an auction house, it takes a cut of the auctions and since you will be dealing with high demand high value item for now, you want to avoid the auction house and use the player stalls instead). Walk over to the area where players have set up stalls and find a good spot where you will be highly visible. Set up your own shop (by using the little orange hand icon in your inventory) and sell your Eden Crystals. If you are greedy, you can try to sell them for as much as 89gold each. If you want to sell faster, go as low as 69g each (double check with people in-game to see what the current best and worst prices these Crystals are going for first). Now AFK for a few hours or a few days depending on the price you set while you wait for those Eden Crystals to sell (Note, these crystals are used to buy some of the best looking vanity items in the game through gambling. Don't use them yourself, let the rich players with a lot of cash do that for you unless you really MUST look exactly the way you want. Note the items MAY look cooler, but they are not better than the other vanity items as far as stat bonuses go. Eden Crystals are the real world money sink for real cash rich people). Every few days players can gamble on new items with the Eden Crystals. These are the days where Eden Crystals sell for a lot more (especially if there is something really cool looking on the gambling area) so be patient if you want to get the most out of your real world money. Once you have sold all your Eden Crystals, you should have between 4000 and 6500g. If you gambled away your Eden Crystals on the Crystal Alter, if you had no luck you will have nothing, if you had average luck you should have about 4000-6000g worth of stuff you can sell. If you had great luck, you could have as much as 20 000g+ worth of stuff to sell (don't rely on gambling to get your gold though, you have been warned).

With your 4000 – 6000g in hand, it is time to start shopping. Check player stalls and the auction house for the items you want. Also try advertising in trade for items you are looking for, sometimes players are selling for cheap if you want to barter a bit.

-5 Slot Backpack; You want 4 of these to start and can get them for between 200 and 250g each; 300g if you are impatient and they are on the expensive side. You can get more backpack space, but this game does not need a lot of bag space since high quality armor and weapons, mounts, pets and vanity items all go into a collection book that can hold one of every such item in addition to your bag space.

-One 'Mysterious' or 'Prime' (mysterious and prime items are always in blue text) two-handed vanity weapon OR two one-handed vanity weapons. What it looks like does not matter, you can disable the look of the item in your inventory. Pay between 600g and 1500g total for the weapon(s).

-One 'Mysterious' or 'Prime' head slot vanity item. Once again, looks don't matter. Pay between 300 and 1000g for whatever you can find for cheap.

-One 'Mysterious' or 'Prime' back item. Looks don't matter. Pay between 500 and 1500g for whatever is cheapest.

-One 'Mysterious' or 'Prime' misc item (usually mouth). Looks don't matter. Pay between 500 and 1500g for whatever is cheapest.

-One 'Mysterious' or 'Prime' body item. Looks don't matter. Pay between 500 and 1500g for whatever is cheapest.

-One 'Mysterious' or 'Prime' Pet. Looks do matter, you can't make your pet invisible. Pay between 200 and 1000g for whatever is cheapest.

Hopefully you will have at least 500g left over just for misc in-game stuff. If you have more, I highly recommend you buy some Auric Jewels (1 week 50% EXP/CP buff) for between 300 and 500g each.

At this point, you should never need to use the item mall again. If you are smart and patient though, you can also get all those really nice vanity items, mounts and pets by playing the market and never spending a single other real dollar. The great thing about Eden Eternal is that you can play the market with virtually no knowledge of how to do so and make tens of thousands of in-game gold per week. How? Very simple, sell all those Eden Crystals for the high end gold (79g plus on days where there are new items to gamble on but always sell Eden Crystal on your stall or in trade, not the AH), then use that gold to buy more Eden Crystals on days where the are sales on Eden Crystals in the item mall and/or there is nothing interesting to gamble on (buy for 69g or less). Just do this through your stall whenever you are not playing and you will never run out of gold for anything. As you understand the market, you can make gold a lot faster by dealing with other items, but the way I outlined is reliable, easy and without risk. The amount of players dumping hundreds of dollars into this game to have all the vanity items truly baffles me but its more profit for the players who don't want to spend money on the game. Once you level up, you can also sell your services as a power-leveler for pretty good gold if you don't want to play the market (you can power-level lower level players to a certain extent).

With extra gold, you may want to upgrade those 5 slot bags to up to 20 slot bags. Get yourself a 50% movement speed mount and make sure you are always being effected by an Auric Jewel. Once that is done, go ahead and waste your gold getting all the nicest looking vanity items or gambling (that is what I do and I don't spend a cent on AP for the item mall). At top level (or wastefully at lower levels), you can upgrade your weapons and armor too (but this is pretty easily don in-game by just running dungeons).

[/spoiler]

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by dortmunder23

i hope you can help me out^^

As others stated there isn't anything out there even close to origninal FFXI.   At one point Rappelz and Maplestory were similar, but both have been raped by their cash shops and updates.   

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    My experience with FFXI wasn't as great as all of yours but yeah there isn't another game out like it anymore....Even FFXI isn't what FFXI used to be......I miss the group based content we had in EQ back i nthe day but I jsut think that players don't want to play that way anymore.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Atlantica isn't bad for people who came from FFXI.  It tempts you into spending money really well though so watch it.  FFXI no longer exist in my eyes.  Such a shame what happened to it... would go back and play this second if they opened a server that stopped with ToAU.

Atantica is a lot of fun.  Not sure it's what the OP wants though since it is completely soloable to max level.  Past level 100 it is blatently P2W.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville