Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvPvE == RvR ?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Is these two terms (PvPvE , RvR) interchangeable? 

If not, then what is another term to describe gameplay similar to Old AV in WoW in which PvE gameplay was tied to the PvP gameplay and vice verse rather than being separate parts?

killing a NPC that would benefit your faction in PvP. 

Whats the proper term for this kind of game design?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Isn't it just "open world PvP" with pre-determined factions?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    The only time I can recall seeing the term PvPvE was in Aion. It was used to describe combat in the Abyss, which was a territory control war between two player factions (and their guards) and one NPC faction.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Disdena
    The only time I can recall seeing the term PvPvE was in Aion. It was used to describe combat in the Abyss, which was a territory control war between two player factions (and their guards) and one NPC faction.

That's sort of what I mean. Is there another term for that?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

This is a good question... I don't think what you describe actually has a real acronym yet...

I've only found two pages that use the "PvPvE" acronym:
    http://aion.wikia.com/wiki/PvPvE <--- Aion like Disdena said
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/PvPvE <-- Also calls it "RvRvE"

Honestly though, I think PvPvE is a lousy and confusing acronym... How is anyone supposed to understand what "Player vs Player vs Enviroment" means, it sounds like a game that just has both PvP and PvE. "RvRvE" is just as bad. The MMORPG genre is already in acronym hell, (What other genre has a six letter acronym?), this just makes things worse.

I think it would really just be a different type of RvR. Normally RvR means PvP RvR, but this would be PvE RvR. (Of course whether or not RvR is a "real" term is still questioned by a few people who claim it was just a DAoC marketing ploy)

What might make sense though is to call this "RvE"... Anyone could easily guess what RvE stands for.

That way we'd have:
    PvP
    PvE
    RvR
    RvE