Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] PlanetSide 2: The Ultimate Empire Showdown Recap

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Last week, our own Rob Lashley and Ripper X took part in the Planetside 2 Ultimate Empire Showdown. Rob as reporter, and Ripper as contestant. Today, we're recapping what came out of the event, including the future of PS2 as an eSport with MLG.

Sony Online Entertainment held their first ever PlanetSide 2 Ultimate Empire Showdown last week, January 25th, 2013, at the Book Bindery in Culver City, California. The UES was a competition between the three factions of PS2 led by a designer and celebrity YouTube personalities. The UES was open to the public and allowed fans of PS2 to interact with SOE developers as well as the internet personalities. Fans at home could also play along and help their favorite faction across the live servers. Jace Hall co-hosted the event with PS2 Creative Director Matthew Higby. Jace and Matt were joined by Adrianne Curry who roamed the floor as their analyst in the trenches. There were also two important announcements made concerning the future of PS2.

Read the rest of Rob's PS2 UES Recap.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228
    While it was a rather fun event, I'm displeased in the un-organization. Hopefully, SOE took some notes from this event and when they host the next they will make the proper improvements. Kudos however for putting something of this scale and fun together!

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261

Vanu conquered in most servers all based on skill but this event wasn't about skill it was an act so they did not get the spotlight.

Terran Republic got the spotlight and a trophy for the clicks they got on facebook and Twiter.

Conclusion : Skill doesn't matter facebook and Twiter votes do.

Worst game event I have ever seen.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Vanu conquered because their have their OP gear lol. I can't mention what my squad calls the Magrider.... :).
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    Vanu conquered because their have their OP gear lol. I can't mention what my squad calls the Magrider.... :).

Yeah, its hilarious that people think Vanu players are just "that" much better and more coordinated.  Their guns have NO bullet drop, less recoil, and shoot three times as fast.  And the even funnier part is they try to argue that because their bullets do less dmg per bullet that makes it ok.  Hrmm, basic math, 3 hits at 30dmg per hit = 90.  1 hit at 50dmg per hit = 50...

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Have you taken that up on the RoadMap? I would be very interested in the type of feedback you got from it.
  • toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228

I'm just going to leave this tweet from Matt Higby right here regarding Magmowers

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Not sure if you're responding to me, but its a well known issue on the official forums.  They're already plannin a lot of fixes for some of the extra OP stupid stuff that vanu has.  For example their tanks can move in any direction almost instantly.  Whereas the other 2 parties have to turn their vehicles to move, and its very slow and arduous.

The vanu air ships are faster, more agile, MUCH more controllable, and once again have WAY better weapons then the counterparts.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

The second event was to hold the Bastion on Amerish (all events were on Amerish) not the Crown on Indar.

This was also a BS event as the default map has the Vanu holding the Bastion to begin with.  As one of the most defensible bases on Amerish, all they had to do was sit and camp people streaming in to die for 40 minutes.  Glossed over were also the horrible rendering issues and lag that people encountered.  It is kind of hard to take over a base when you can't see your enemy until you are within 10m (if at all).  No enemies on screen and you suddenly die to 3 grenades that pop out of nowhere, awesome fun.

TR won the final event which was the most representative of the actual game, gaining and holding the most territory.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• DaedalEVEDaedalEVE Member Posts: 39

Vanu rule :P

Vanu isn't OP... they are just better than you. NC are the ones with the stronger weapon damage, and TR have faster rate of fire and zerg like no tomorrow. 

P.S. Thanks for crying about the Magriders and getting them nerfed TR/NC crybabies... Vanu will still kick your ass. We will adapt. We will conquer. FOR VANU!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    What they really need to do with this game is cut down on the cheating.  Way to many kids with zero morals use cheat programs in this game.  It really ruins the gameplay.
  • Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    I have to agree. I was on last night and TR was swarming us (I play Vanu mainly for the story :P). The funny think is NC did the same thing, so yah Vanu dosn't always win. We often win by grouping up in squads and doing what our squad leaders want us to do.
This discussion has been closed.