Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should This Really Be Considered An MMO That's "In-Development?"

umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I'll certainly give props to Square Enix for recognizing how poor this game was on release and basically wanting to take it offline and do it properly. Despite that, I'm a little confused as to why MMORPG.com is putting this game "under development" along with other up and coming games in 2013. From what I've seen, it seems like the only thing that's really changing in this game's combat is speeding up and getting a user interface that doesn't look and act like garbage. Isn't that something on the scope of a big patch rather than a re-release?

IMHO, the game has already been developed. Not enough is changing for this to be considered a new title, starting with no character wipes. If you buy this "in development" game on its "launch day," you're going to see extremely powerful characters from 2010. There's really no difference from a new player standpoint from buying this game and buying a game that's been on the market for 1-2 years. The economy is also going to be extremely top-heavy, encouraging players to sell whatever can be used by higher level players rather than use them to progress personally... which kinda sucks for a game that originally marketed itself with one of the most engaging, diverse crafting systems ever created.  

I think it's pretty misleading and ingenious to put this on the same list as ArcheAge, The Elder Scrolls Online or any of the others competing for hype. 

Not exactly going to lose sleep over this, but this just doesn't seem right. It's the same game that got its shot in 2010. If there was a list for "expansions in development," I could see this being put on that list, but when this thing hits the market, it's going to be no spring chicken and new characters are going to start well-behind characters who played this "in development" game back in 2010... so I'm not sure giving it the same weight as legitimate up-and-coming MMOs is appropriate. 

Comments

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Are you certain there's going to be brand new servers the day of this re-release and, if so, that old characters won't be able to transfer to them? Even if that's done the way it should be done, friends/family might roll on an older server or not want to abandon established characters. A guild you want to join may be joining/staying on an older server. Lots of reasons why restricting yourself to a smal percentage of the servers on release may not work out well, and then you're stuck playing this "new game" with people who have years of advancement ahead of you.

It just doesn't seem like this should be on the same list as up-and-coming new releases. 

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    they have stated that it will be a 100% new world, with no old chars being able to be transferd over. I have played the beta and its a new game...nothing at all like how it was before...im counting the days till release my self.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    they have stated that it will be a 100% new world, with no old chars being able to be transferd over. I have played the beta and its a new game...nothing at all like how it was before...im counting the days till release my self.

Beta hasn't started yet so how did you play Beta???

I breath FFXIV so watch what you say.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Alpha/beta same thing diffrent name, i breath FF you watch what you say I GOT THE NAME TO PROVE IT DAMMIT and the 1-11 FF games INCLUDING the japanees NES titles and Quest games. Though i do not support FF games past 10 though. Ever since Squaresoft became Squarenix there games have gone down hill for me but im a hardcore RPG guy that likes his turn based RPG's.

Alpha/beta same thing diffrent name, i breath FF you watch what you say I GOT THE NAME TO PROVE IT DAMMIT and the 1-11 FF games INCLUDING the japanees NES titles and Quest games

It's not the same everyone is waiting for beta this february and you say you played beta it confuses people. 

You don't breath FFXIV cause you're starting new now I've been there since closed beta 3 over 2 years playing FFXIV.

Could you link where they said that? Everything I've looked up has pointed to saying there would not be a wipe under any circumstances. Full wipe, everyone starts off even, and I have no complaint with this being considered "in-development."  

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by umcorian

I'll certainly give props to Square Enix for recognizing how poor this game was on release and basically wanting to take it offline and do it properly. Despite that, I'm a little confused as to why MMORPG.com is putting this game "under development" along with other up and coming games in 2013. From what I've seen, it seems like the only thing that's really changing in this game's combat is speeding up and getting a user interface that doesn't look and act like garbage. Isn't that something on the scope of a big patch rather than a re-release?

IMHO, the game has already been developed. Not enough is changing for this to be considered a new title, starting with no character wipes. If you buy this "in development" game on its "launch day," you're going to see extremely powerful characters from 2010. There's really no difference from a new player standpoint from buying this game and buying a game that's been on the market for 1-2 years. The economy is also going to be extremely top-heavy, encouraging players to sell whatever can be used by higher level players rather than use them to progress personally... which kinda sucks for a game that originally marketed itself with one of the most engaging, diverse crafting systems ever created.  

I think it's pretty misleading and ingenious to put this on the same list as ArcheAge, The Elder Scrolls Online or any of the others competing for hype. 

Not exactly going to lose sleep over this, but this just doesn't seem right. It's the same game that got its shot in 2010. If there was a list for "expansions in development," I could see this being put on that list, but when this thing hits the market, it's going to be no spring chicken and new characters are going to start well-behind characters who played this "in development" game back in 2010... so I'm not sure giving it the same weight as legitimate up-and-coming MMOs is appropriate. 

I read nothing but your OP. You must not know how to google at all. The game was basically rebuilt from the ground up. Almost every single aspect of the game has changed. 

For a taste of the massive changes go here http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/33824-ffxiv-a-realm-reborn-and-everything-you-need-to-know/

Pretty much a brand new game if you ask me aside from some of the early story quest lines.

Could you link where they said that? Everything I've looked up has pointed to saying there would not be a wipe under any circumstances. Full wipe, everyone starts off even, and I have no complaint with this being considered "in-development."  

No wipe for version 1.0 players but there will be new servers only for new players old players can't transfer to the new servers but still old character have everything they had on their own servers. If a new character like to join an old server they can tho in case they have friends with old characters allready leveled up.

By the way to get to level cap is going to be very very fast I think yoshi mentioned once 1-20 is like 30 minutes.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Go to part III of my previous link if you somehow get confused along the way. It summarizes all of the changes THAT ARE KNOWN. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i think the game is ok marked as "under development" because after they shot it down they had to re develop things to change the entire game. Its still the same FF14 but still. MMORPGs are long term games with long term development, and if the launch was bad enough to stop the service then it goes back to a development stage. So yeah. Its under development until new launch. An expansion would add new content but they are not adding new content just to expand the game, they are changing existing content.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    You know some of us put time and effort in thread. With lots of info , maybe if you and others took the time to look a few posts Down you would find a thread titled ALL FFXIV ARR INFO FOUND HERE. /sigh something that simple is so hard for so many now

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

The game has had a pretty big over-haul done to it. I'm not exactly sure what you're going by, but it is not the same game as it was before. As far as your expansion thing goes, that is pretty silly considering it's not an expansion at all. It's a "Re-launch" which means that it's the actual game that has been reworked and revised.(Incase you weren't familiar with how that goes or works) I'm looking forward to it actually.

P.S- It's catagorized where it needs to be, regardless of your opinion. :)

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura

No wipe for version 1.0 players but there will be new servers only for new players old players can't transfer to the new servers but still old character have everything they had on their own servers. If a new character like to join an old server they can tho in case they have friends with old characters allready leveled up.

By the way to get to level cap is going to be very very fast I think yoshi mentioned once 1-20 is like 30 minutes.

30 mins to level 20 and the cap is 50...good lord this game wont last long -_-; FFXI leveling took a long time to cap, but i think FFXIV 1.0 had a fair amount of time to level up to cap, making it much quicker than that is gonna be stupid. Everyone will be sitting at 50 looking for endgame in the first few weeks. Whats the point of making any mid game content of you can blow through it so damn fast?

• VernamVernam Member UncommonPosts: 50

I'm curious to see how much false information you guys can fit into one thread!

1-10 will be about 30 mins to an hour because at lvl 10 tutorial ends and at level 10 you unlock all classes

Originally posted by Waldoe

I read nothing but your OP. You must not know how to google at all. The game was basically rebuilt from the ground up. Almost every single aspect of the game has changed. 

For a taste of the massive changes go here http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/33824-ffxiv-a-realm-reborn-and-everything-you-need-to-know/

Pretty much a brand new game if you ask me aside from some of the early story quest lines.

Actually, it was my use of Google that saved me $60 on the initial game... because I googled gameplay footage taken from the 1.0 beta and decided after 4 minutes of watching that this game didn't have a chance. 

And I'm dubious how they can rebuild a game from the ground up, but retain everyone's progression. The game is obviously not that different at its core if carbon copies of characters are preserved wholesale and seemlessly integrated into the new version. New maps are nice and all, but just because Cataclysm redid the maps in WoW didn't make it WoW 2.0 and qualify it for a new release. It was still just an expansion. 

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura

I think you meant hours.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Actually, it was my use of Google that saved me $60 on the initial game... because I googled gameplay footage taken from the 1.0 beta and decided after 4 minutes of watching that this game didn't have a chance. 

And I'm dubious how they can rebuild a game from the ground up, but retain everyone's progression. The game is obviously not that different at its core if carbon copies of characters are preserved wholesale and seemlessly integrated into the new version. The infrastructure must still be completely the same.  New maps are nice and all, but just because Cataclysm redid the maps in WoW didn't make it WoW 2.0 and qualify it for a new release.

So, you still don't believe what people are telling you, or what? They're working on moving all the character data to the new game. It's a new game engine. So no, it's not the same core. If it was, there would be no need to shut down 1.0.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

Umcorian , look at the info thread on this forum , also watch the before and after video the game is a new game re built , some same aspects , guild leves , jobs , skills , areas , story tweaks . Graphically way way WAY different the zones changes , mob placements changed mob types per. Area changed music changed , UI changed , asfor HOW SE has everyones chr from V 1.0 they data stored everyones info its no different then if you quit a MMO and did not delete your chr then 6 months latter pick the game back up and restart billing and use the same chr. That's not rocket science.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

From what I've seen, it seems like the only thing that's really changing in this game's combat is speeding up and getting a user interface that doesn't look and act like garbage. Isn't that something on the scope of a big patch rather than a re-release?

No, that's not even remotely true. Go back and really look at the videos and the developers articles.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Satimasu

And I'm dubious how they can rebuild a game from the ground up, but retain everyone's progression. The game is obviously not that different at its core if carbon copies of characters are preserved wholesale and seemlessly integrated into the new version. The infrastructure must still be completely the same.  New maps are nice and all, but just because Cataclysm redid the maps in WoW didn't make it WoW 2.0 and qualify it for a new release.

So, you still don't believe what people are telling you, or what? They're working on moving all the character data to the new game. It's a new game engine. So no, it's not the same core. If it was, there would be no need to shut down 1.0.

Um, which people should I believe? People can't seem to agree on the color of  crap as far as this game is concerned.

One says 1-20 will take 30 minutes. Another says it will take 30 hours.

One says characters will be non-transferable to the new world. Others say they will.

One rude, clearly biased person gives me a link to a thread written by another clearly biased fan from a clearly biased fansite with no citations other than a few cut-and-pasted letters that only discuss general changes. Since when does this pass as proof of anything?

All the info pages don't answer one very simple question: If this is a brand new game, why are there max level characters before release? 

And I told you to look at the info thread I and others made hint its the post below this one.

Also watch the videos on the thread cha cha changes to see V1 and V2 HUGE differences

Originally posted by DarknessReign
    Umcorian , look at the info thread on this forum , also watch the before and after video the game is a new game re built , some same aspects , guild leves , jobs , skills , areas , story tweaks . Graphically way way WAY different the zones changes , mob placements changed mob types per. Area changed music changed , UI changed , asfor HOW SE has everyones chr from V 1.0 they data stored everyones info its no different then if you quit a MMO and did not delete your chr then 6 months latter pick the game back up and restart billing and use the same chr. That's not rocket science.

And again, how is this different from what Cataclysm did for WoW? Way different zone changes. Mob placements. Area music changes/changes, UI changes... that's all stuff that gets covered in expansions.

A re-release with pre-existing characters sounds pretty lame and I really don't see compelling evidence that this should be on a list that puts it in competition with new games that haven't yet been released.   

You miss the point ffxiv was the name of V1 , V1 is no longer playable , you can't log on it is gone forever . A new game called ffxiv a realm reborn is the new game . A expansion is content you add on to a functional game. FFXIV V1 is NOT a functional game. Some things are similar but ultimately it is a different game .