Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Beta Weekends and Founders' Packs Detailed

Comments

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    I can see playing normal box price is I like the game, but 200? No way. At least with GW2 I would have gotten a stuff animal.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

Way to expensive for founders packs... what is this new BS where companies make us pay to supposedly beta test?

You're really just paying for early access, guaranteed beta time, and a few perks.  If you can wait, might as well!  It'll be F2P after all.

I can understand a 60$ founder pack. It's kind of like buying a ps3 game or buying the client if you will but 200$ is just retarded

The $200 pack is obviously not meant for everyone, which is why there are three tiers to the program. I'm not sure why people react this way every time a new game announces a pack like this. Think back to any MMO you've ever played, didn't you know that 'one guy' who always played? Even when you took a break for six months and came back? He'd still be there happily playing like it was the first month of launch.

That's the player who will be interested in the top-tier pack. It's not like PWE (or any other game offering this sort of thing) is only offering a single high priced tier.  No one's forcing you to buy the thing. The fact of the matter is that game development costs real money and being able to guarantee some sort of upfront revenue is pretty attractive, especially when you're giving away the game for free. I think offering excited and dedicated fans some additional value in exchange for an upfront cost can be a real win-win for both parties involved when done well.

Have at it if you want to criticize the actual content:value ratio of this particular pack (or any other), but I think the kneejerk scoffing at the price of these high-tier packs and $150 Collector Editions is honestly a bit silly.

Exactly Bill.

As a fan of ALL things RA Salvatore, Drizzt, D&D, and Action Combat with Dungeon Delving (plus the Foundry)  I intend to show PWE & Cryptic my support with this pack.  I have disposable income so it's not that big of deal for me to spend money on things I like.  Glad PWE and Cryptic is offereing this for "us fans".

I'm Mike, FWIW. :P

My bad.  image

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• sylum69sylum69 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Plopping $200 first thing tomorrow.  I have never purchased any sort of Founder box, Collector Edition or Lifetime subscription but I am so positive that NWO is going to be that game, I want to insure they know I support their business.  Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhhhh huh.... just like SWTOR, TSW, AoC, and evey game that offered a lifetime sub also thought that their game was THE game of the second coming?

Only the person who paid for the service can say it is or it isn't.  As someone who has followed the game since the begining and have watched every gameplay video from all the Cons and read all the interviews I am convinced this is "that" game for me and only "I" can say it is, not someone else.

Just out of curiosity, have you read the CO and STO forums? What level of expectation do you have from Cryptic in terms of commitment to NWN's development?

You sound a lot like me and many others before those games launched. Maybe I'm just being cynical but I've been disappointed by Cryptic so many times and it's not because they make bad games. Far from it. Their games are actually pretty decent. It's the mediocre commitment they give to their development post launch that's disheartening.

Both CO and STO could be great games, they each have fantastic elements that simply need to be polished and given some TLC. The problem is Cryptic is not in the business of making great games, they're in the business of making cheap games - and believe it or not, I'm paraphrasing Jack Emmert.

And if you don't believe me, I simply encourage you to read the CO and STO forums and ask the die hard fans questions about the state of their game and the commitment Cryptic has given them.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    I thought Cryptic was trying to improve their reputation..... "plop" it's back in the toilet to me!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• FaidianFaidian Member UncommonPosts: 20
    You know I could see the big founders pack being like 100 bucks but 200?  Are you serious?  The people who have been burned too many times by Cryptic know to stay away from that crap especially if this is going to be a F2P game anyway.  Cryptic hasn't learned anything from their monstrous failures as a company =/
  • jaffrojonesjaffrojones Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by sylum69
    Plopping $200 first thing tomorrow.  I have never purchased any sort of Founder box, Collector Edition or Lifetime subscription but I am so positive that NWO is going to be that game, I want to insure they know I support their business.  Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhhhh huh.... just like SWTOR, TSW, AoC, and evey game that offered a lifetime sub also thought that their game was THE game of the second coming?

Only the person who paid for the service can say it is or it isn't.  As someone who has followed the game since the begining and have watched every gameplay video from all the Cons and read all the interviews I am convinced this is "that" game for me and only "I" can say it is, not someone else.

Just out of curiosity, have you read the CO and STO forums? What level of expection do you have from Cryptic in terms of commitment to NWN's development?

You sound a lot like me and many others before those games launched. Maybe I'm just being cynical but I've been disappointed by Cryptic so many times and it's not because they make bad games. Far from it. Their games are actually pretty decent. It's the mediocre commitment they give to their development post launch that's disheartening.

Both CO and STO could be great games, they each have fantastic elements that simply need to be polished and given some TLC. The problem is Cryptic is not in the business of making great games, they're in the business of making cheap games - and believe it or not, I'm paraphrasing Jack Emmert.

And if you don't believe me, I simply encourage you to read the CO and STO forums and ask the die hard fans questions about the state of their game and the commitment Cryptic has given them.

I agree with you about CO and STO. I do put some faith in Perfect World though. They have a good track record, and if they were willing to publish it based off what they saw, then I am willing to risk it. They obviously see something in the game and think they can make money on it.

I've been following this game closely for a while and have a good feeling about it. I don't know about spending $200, but $60 doesn't sound too bad.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

And apparently you missed my point completely.  Many, many, many, so so many times have people singed your exact tune and later sing a completely different tune.

And I too have watched all the videos, read the intervies, know all the pros and cons.  I've followed it since it was announced back when Atari was in the picture.  I will give you a run for your money with what you know with what I know.  And right now you nor anyone can really say what this game will be and cannot say if this game is really for you.   Your speaking in blind fanboism, sorry if that's offensive but you are not seeing the game for what it is.  You enthralled with the concepts and mechanics but what the game will be is still larely unknown.  For all we know they could completely butcher the game by making it a WoW clone game.  Take Demon Stone, has the classes, the influence but none would ever really call that a D&D game like Baulder's Gate or IWD or NWN.

What Cryptic should have done before this announcement was to release some real high quality demos, info, blogs, and vids.  Instead they are asking people to give them money on blind faith.

And yet no one is required to spend any money to play the game.  You can wait for the game to release, buy a Jan issue of PCGamer, prepurchased TL2/Raiderz or get lucky.  Hell you could even be nice to me and I will give you my spare key.  I'm not ashamed to admit I am a fanboy, if the game ends up tanking then I'll be upset but its not the end of the world.  However I am willing to give the company my $$$ to playtest early and get some goodies I consider good investment.  Only I can say these things and I am willing to partake in this marketing plan because I think its right for me.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

If I can actually play the game totally for free, I would consider buying a $40-$60 pack AFTER I play for a while and decide I like it and want to keep playing.

I will never give any money to any game company until I see the finished product, read the reviews, and decide to try it for myself.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    this game is 100% scam O_o
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    I want the renegade drow race and all that but that's all I really care about from the 200 dollar pack :( oh well.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Way overpriced, and yes I know it's optional, just saying. If that is representative of the cash shop prices they might be in for a rude shock.
  • HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by augustgrace

First off, again the $200 pack doesn't get you the drow race, it gets you a drizzt style "background" option for any drow you roll.  Not clear what that special background gets you, if anything.

Updated schedule info is up-

Beta Weekend 1 - February 8-10:

• Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchasers
    • Guardian of Neverwinter purchasers
    Beta Weekend 2 - March 8-10
    • Torchlight 2 pre-orders
    • RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers
    Beta Weekend 3 - March 22-24
    Other Beta participants - Information to be revealed
    • PC Gamer keys
    • PAX / GenCon / Keys from game conventions and events

So if you want in the first weekend, it's a minimum of $60 upfront

edit: Is Drizzt famous for a tattoo?  Don't recall him even having one. 
    Updated weekend 2 

looks like they completely forgot about Lifetime STO and CO members *sigh*

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i will probably buy the $20 dollar pack. Just to get early access and try to catch some bugs.

I do hope that Cryptic / PWE listen to the testers feedback and fix as much as they can before launch. After all they are going to charge a lot upfront to "cover development"

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by HikaruShidou
    Originally posted by augustgrace

First off, again the $200 pack doesn't get you the drow race, it gets you a drizzt style "background" option for any drow you roll.  Not clear what that special background gets you, if anything.

Updated schedule info is up-

Beta Weekend 1 - February 8-10:

Beta Weekend 2 - March 8-10
    • Torchlight 2 pre-orders
    Beta Weekend 3 - March 22-24
    Other Beta participants - Information to be revealed
    • PC Gamer keys

So if you want in the first weekend, it's a minimum of $60 upfront

edit: Is Drizzt famous for a tattoo?  Don't recall him even having one. 
    Updated weekend 2 

looks like they completely forgot about Lifetime STO and CO members *sigh*

No it has been update on the NW forums lifetimers fit in the category :

"Other Beta participants - Information to be revealed

• PC Gamer keys
    • RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers"

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

now that i think of it, it says you can buy the packs to get beta acces to the 3 beta weekends. So from here to open beta theres only 3 playable weekends..... if i was(were?) to pay 200 for beta access i expect to play from the first beta weekend up until open beta, non stop. But thats just me. Thats another reason ill be fine with only 20 bucks down.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

The new marketing scam..................$200.00 for a pack with a made up value of $549.00.  Do companies actually believe the product they put out is worth $549.00?

Think of what $549.00 can buy you and your getting a game?  Sad as this is on my watch list.

[mod edit]

Sure, and nothing you mentioned refutes the over priced digital game items.

[mod edit]

bah I think those complaining actually very much know what their hard earned cash is worth.  I think your skimming over the fact that peeps find 200$ too much. I don't have a prob with 20, 60 or even 80 buck. I would equate that with buy a console game for the ps3 xbox 360 etc etc or even could compare it too b2p mmo where you need to buy the client.

Charging 200 before you can even try out the game though is just meh.  Bloody hell you can praticaly buy a console for that price.

People want a fair price that is why they complain and 200 is not it IMHO.

[mod edit]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    [mod edit]

People don't want to be ripped off.  You tellimg me 20 bucks for a mount is completely justified?  Well maybe for you you can throw away money all you want but some people want value for their money.  And 200 bucks is simpely outrageous and highway robbery.  Would you pay a $35 for a 8 dollar value meal?  That's what is going on.  I shell out money for games that warrent it.  DDO I bought the collectors edition.  However I knew exactly what I was getting unlike here which nothing of the value is exlained.

Not to mention one has to shell out 200 bucks for a race, a companion, 3 char slots, VIP lounge access, a shit ton of astral diamonds for who knows what they will be good for.  People likely will kjust want the race, the companion, and the VIP lounge access and give a rats ass for the rest.  Paying $200 is ridiculous if you just want those items.

I'm for supporting but no way in hell $200 dollars.  $60 sure, $90 need something really enticing for it. but over $120 is ridiculous.

People don't want to be ripped off.  You tellimg me 20 bucks for a mount is completely justified? 

im sure people will be fine with paying 20 for a mount. WoW has 25 bucks mounts on top of the subscription. Also, Perfect World Entertainment is being gentle here. They sell 50 dollar mounts in Perfect World International. If the mount is cool i would  buy it for 20 since the game is F2P, and youll have your mount forever (i just hope they are account wide)... if its a freakin horse then yeah its too much lol

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

The new marketing scam..................$200.00 for a pack with a made up value of $549.00.  Do companies actually believe the product they put out is worth $549.00?

Think of what $549.00 can buy you and your getting a game?  Sad as this is on my watch list.

Oh how many games have you  made latley?? DO you even know how much it costs to make a game these days??? How much each program costs for license?? I do, BECAUSE I own alot of them, I have over 80,000 in programs that I had to buy to be in the field, and game engines etc, so you have no idea... Do some research before you talk.. You would have a clue.

Sure, and nothing you mentioned refutes the over priced digital game items.

Where does it say you have to buy it??? Nothing says it at all.. So don't buy it, and go else where and cry, I don't get it at all,  20 bucks for a game is dirt cheap even if the game sucks.. They said they will have an Open beta, so don't pay for anything and try it for free, anyone who preorders should get in as a part of the beta, because they PAID....

Thats how games have always done it, so i'm a bit confused I own every P2P MMo on the market and yes I do, alot of them sucked, yes , but I do not whine about it , its my own fault, but  I also been in the industry for years and I know what it takes to build a game like this and for people to sit here and whine about what a game costs its funny to me...

To me thats just tells me some people have never really worked for a living before at all... They have no clue what it takes to make a MMO.. MMO's are the hardest games to make in the industry and costs the most.. So I do not get when someone crys about 20 bucks and says a game is to much??? REALLY, no one said you had to pay 200 bucks for founders, don't like the costs don't buy it, don't like  what it  offers don't buy it..

SO confused why people need to complain, oh I forgot you can, its the net, and you need attention what was I thinking.

/rolleyes.

Ah yes it's the "if you have a position against over priced game your whining" argument.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Ain't even gone into open beta and they want to sell it already? Fug no. I'll wait for Elder scrolls beta before I buy this. Bought the damndable lifetime sub for TSW and now it's free. I will never buy anything pre-order again without doing a beta. Not just paying for getting into the beta.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by RedMachine72
    Ain't even gone into open beta and they want to sell it already? Fug no. I'll wait for Elder scrolls beta before I buy this. Bought the damndable lifetime sub for TSW and now it's free. I will never buy anything pre-order again without doing a beta. Not just paying for getting into the beta.

Not only that but one of the spotlights taken from the NWN series is The Foundry which allows the playerbase to make the content.  I haven't seen anything about actual developer updates to the game.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634/view/news/page/1/read/25611/Neverwinter-New-Dev-Blog-Details-The-Foundry.html

• ZebularZebular Member UncommonPosts: 24

Just to clarify a few things:

The Menzoberranzan Renegade is NOT a race. It is a unique Background Selection for your Drow race characters, which when chosen will grant unique traits to your Drow character(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Chat with CM PinPointError

"it's a unique racial background with unique ability and costume and tattoos"

The promotion goes live and will be purchasable on our Official Site (playneverwinter.com) here sometime tomorrow. 

For details on this Promotion, please follow the following links to posts by Community Manager PinPointError:

And here is our official discussion thread on the NWO forums:

Cheers,
    Zebular, PWE Community Moderator

[ PWE Community Moderator (Official Forums) | Foundry: The Dweomerkeepers | My Twitter | @zebular ]
  • barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147

My advice.  Wait.  Just for heavens sake wait.  Roll a human, or whatever free character there is.  Play a week and see if the game is even worth it.  FFS stop the endless circle of CO's, STO's, TOR's and everything inbetween, say "No" to these hype driven loads of crap and empty promises.  How may people are thrilled with their collector's edition of TOR?  How is that "CE Store ingame that is going to be upgraded regularily" working out?

We have seen nothing about this game beyond some prelaunch interviews and videos.  Hey the ones for AoC were freaking sweet too, that game sure turned out to be the PvP leetness everyone was looking for, didn't it?

Anyone who pays to get into a beta has, in my opinion, lost their freaking minds.  And yes, I have been there folks.  Beta gets you nothing that you can keep when the game goes Live.  Save your money.  the game will be F2P.

Plus this is Cryptic.  Having learned from their previous mistakes, they are going to do "beta event weekends" again I see.  Trust me the first 6 months after launch will be beta enough.  Just wait and hop in on launch day.

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    still haven't received my key from pre-ordering Torchlight II (from PWE directly, not from Steam) and their customer service hasn't gotten back to me.  This company really seems to suck.
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I get the feeling they are rushing this game out.  Typical Cryptic, they have not changed a bit.

It is just flat out wrong to charge for beta access.  You are a fool if you do so.  

The game has already been delayed quite a bit. The original release date was supposed to be end of last year. http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/16/neverwinter-delayed-until-early-2013/

So I wouldn't say this is being rushed...if they released last year, then yeah I'd agree with you. Although a game needs to follow deadlines like everything else in life.