Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Beta Weekends and Founders' Packs Detailed

Comments

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Hairysun
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Not gonna lie... tempted to shell $200 for the Drizzt-alike. :P 

Edit: At least in this case, you're not paying a "Life Sub", just for a lot of perks. The above tongue-emote implies sarcasm by the way. 

Considering your place in the universe, I'd say it's required that you make this purchase.  I don't know if I would share that information with everyone around here however, you know how pissy they get.

People get pissy when they see people with excess disposable income throw it at game companies. Thus raising the prices they too will be required to pay for content they see as less and less valuble. 

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Grinnz

lol people shell out money all day for "kickstarters" even saw one in this thread......yet  "oh lawdy a founder's pack!!!, OMG this company trying to rob us!!!!"

Actually the arguement is it's overpriced for digital items and services only............no physical anything.

Guess you would have to read the thread.

And how is that any different than digital only rewards from a Kickstarter?  Does it make it okay or a better deal if they mail you a mousepad a sticker?

Funding a game for development is not the same as buying a game package from a game already developed.

Da?

Some of the packages you get on kickstarter are extremely similar :P

A MMO is always in development, they dont stop after release.

Are you saying PWE and Cryptic are like small indie companies and need our extra support lol? 

not at all, but they could offer the packages to help offset the costs they incurred in developing the game......so why wouldn't it be like a kickstarter.....perhaps we will call it a founder's pack!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I'm good for a starter pack but not convinced yet this game will be any good.
  • HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Being upset about a $200 founders package is silly.  It is suposed to be an exceptional package that not everyone will be able to or just simply won't, purchase. 

As we all know, very often price is what defines exception.  Otherwise everyone would be driving around in a porsche.   This is the shift we are seeing with all these F2P games.  They need to make money somehow.  I'm suprised they didn't pull the $500 "Alpha" package and the $1000 create your own in game weapon package as well.

Welcome to life .....

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Wow, 200 bucks to play a Drow? They are smokin some good Elven grass... I feel like SOE is behind this somehow...

No bitchers.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I wish they would stop calling these Open Beta's.. They're nothing but stress tests and money grabs.  Unless it's a closed beta, they don't give a crap about your opinion.. everything is set to their liking.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

It is amazing at what use to be free labor to test a game for bugs has now turned into a cash cow for straped developers. Why would anyone pay to play a beta? Especially in the case of a F2P game! I love Neverwinter and the whole D&D world, but I will not pay anyone to let me be a Guinea Pig to test their product.

The other thing about this game is it just keeps getting put further and further back. I remember when it was suppose to come out last year 4th quarter, then it was early this year and now it is going to be late this year (if even that). The only saving grace is it is F2P and the videos and info released looks promising, but for God's sake PW release the game already!

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Xepo

It is amazing at what use to be free labor to test a game for bugs has now turned into a cash cow for straped developers. Why would anyone pay to play a beta? Especially in the case of a F2P game! I love Neverwinter and the whole D&D world, but I will not pay anyone to let me be a Guinea Pig to test their product.

The other thing about this game is it just keeps getting put further and further back. I remember when it was suppose to come out last year 4th quarter, then it was early this year and now it is going to be late this year (if even that). The only saving grace is it is F2P and the videos and info released looks promising, but for God's sake PW release the game already!

Not to mention that their paying guinea pigs will have on deep rose hued fanboism glasses on oblivious to the defects or anythng negative about the game.  Talk about quality testers they're getting.

• sylum69sylum69 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by k44mos

I love how I bought TL2 just to be in the NW beta and I get "two days of closed beta". This is so XTREME that I can't possibly explain it through mere words.

You know what Cryptic? Fuck off.

Are you surprised by this?

A lot of people bought the CO Lifetime just to get the Beta access to STO. Tons of people were complaining when less than a month before launch people still hadn't received their beta access. Cryptic eventually emailed out the last of the STO beta invites a week before launch.

If people really want to know what to expect from NWN, just read the STO and CO forums. Leopards don't change their spots.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by augustgrace

Just a note-

$200 pack doesn't unlock drow race, everyone has access to drow race.  What you're getting is the "Renegade" drow "background.'  No confirmation is that means different or additional skills over the standard drow.

"Exclusive access to ‘Menzoberranzan Renegade', a Drow playable race like the legendary ranger Drizzt Do'Urden, complete with unique racial abilities and tattoo"

Sounds like different and additional abilities to me.  Just hope the it doesn't give it a distinct advatage over the other races.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

First off, again the $200 pack doesn't get you the drow race, it gets you a drizzt style "background" option for any drow you roll.  Not clear what that special background gets you, if anything.

Updated schedule info is up-

Beta Weekend 1 - February 8-10:

• Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchasers
    • Guardian of Neverwinter purchasers
    Beta Weekend 2 - March 8-10
    • Torchlight 2 pre-orders
    • RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers
    Beta Weekend 3 - March 22-24
    Other Beta participants - Information to be revealed
    • PC Gamer keys
    • PAX / GenCon / Keys from game conventions and events
    • RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers

So if you want in the first weekend, it's a minimum of $60 upfront

edit: Is Drizzt famous for a tattoo?  Don't recall him even having one. 
    Updated weekend 2 
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Does the $60 pack include the same as the $20 pack? I love extra bags....
  • KAIvillnKAIvilln Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by vierklauw
    another "pay to win" game to black list , why just make this game with sub fee...

Nah, it's just crack pipe absurd to place a value on intantgable digital items that can be duplicated at will and priority Beta access.

You are not paying just for a digital good, you are paying for a SERVICE on top of a good. It is no different than paying for a baseball game, you cannot keep your baseball game once you've used your ticket. you can keep the ticket (receipt) but it does nothing for you.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I get the feeling they are rushing this game out.  Typical Cryptic, they have not changed a bit.

It is just flat out wrong to charge for beta access.  You are a fool if you do so.  

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I encourage people to think LONG and hard before they shell out this much cash. I want Neverwinter to be a good game.. but Cryptic pulled this same move with STO and it turned into a tidal wave of negative press for them. People played the game for a week, hit the lvl cap and saw that the game was not finished. At this point they started demanding refunds and for awhile Cryptic let them refund it. Then all sudden like they stopped letting people refund (cause it was so many) at this point people started doing charge backs...

Collectively the MMO fanbase goes full retard on things like this and then moans and whines later when things do not turn out as they had hoped. I say stay away from that 200 dollar pack...

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by KAIvilln
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71 Originally posted by vierklauw another "pay to win" game to black list , why just make this game with sub fee...
    Nah, it's just crack pipe absurd to place a value on intantgable digital items that can be duplicated at will and priority Beta access.
    You are not paying just for a digital good, you are paying for a SERVICE on top of a good. It is no different than paying for a baseball game, you cannot keep your baseball game once you've used your ticket. you can keep the ticket (receipt) but it does nothing for you.

you can keep the memories and pics or videos!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by Hairysun

Being upset about a $200 founders package is silly.  It is suposed to be an exceptional package that not everyone will be able to or just simply won't, purchase. 

As we all know, very often price is what defines exception.  Otherwise everyone would be driving around in a porsche.   This is the shift we are seeing with all these F2P games.  They need to make money somehow.  I'm suprised they didn't pull the $500 "Alpha" package and the $1000 create your own in game weapon package as well.

Welcome to life .....

Pretty much this.

Those higher end items are meant for people who don't have to worry about (or shouldn't be worrying about) balancing their budget or making rent, etc.

Heck, I go out to an expensive restaurant once or twice a month. And that's it. I don't hold it against people who can do that all the time, several times per month or even just blow loads of money at clubs each night. If I could do it I would but at the moment I can't so /endstory.

If people can afford it then good for them and more power to them.

Though I wouldn't pay much attention to the "valued at" assignations as quite frankly that's b.s. What are those items pinned to? The gold system?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by Allacore69

Originally posted by KAIvilln

Originally posted by vierklauw another "pay to win" game to black list , why just make this game with sub fee...
    you can keep the memories and pics or videos!

all these moments will be lost... in time

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Wow the game does genrate buzz!!! :p

Don't kickstarter projects have pakages like this starting from 20 going to even 500 to 700 or more?
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455

I have disposable income but no... just because you have money doesn't mean you toss it in the street. 

I considered the Pathfinder KS then decided against it and I think I'll do the same here.  My spidey sense is going nuts right now.  I have a bad feeling about this game even though I desperately want it to be great because I love the setting.

The only thing that I really wanted was a head start at launch but I don't even need that anymore since Cryptic goes with their @handle system.  I won't be losing any character names so I have no real reason to have a head start.  I can wait.

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Oh good lord... there will be tons of misspelled Drizzit idiots running around... even with that price.
  • miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Originally posted by Mykell
    Looking forward to the day i have to talk to my bank manager to play an mmo...

Omg awesome reply 

• SereneBlueSereneBlue Member Posts: 32
    The $200 beta level was designed so as to make playing a drow exceedingly rare. If it had been priced at $60 there would be plenty of people who would pay that to do that. PWI don't want lots of people running around playing as drow. The $200 is designed to keep a very rare race being just that - exceedingly rare.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Plopping $200 first thing tomorrow.  I have never purchased any sort of Founder box, Collector Edition or Lifetime subscription but I am so positive that NWO is going to be that game, I want to insure they know I support their business.  Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by SereneBlue
    The $200 beta level was designed so as to make playing a drow exceedingly rare. If it had been priced at $60 there would be plenty of people who would pay that to do that. PWI don't want lots of people running around playing as drow. The $200 is designed to keep a very rare race being just that - exceedingly rare.

Ah no flat out wrong.

Everyone will have access to the drow race.  What the 200$ deal  does is unlock an extra drow related background (when creating your character) that will give you a unique drow renegade racial skill.  You will essential be able to choose between the regular drow racial skills or the drow renegeade racial skill if you bought the 200$ pack ofc.

Dunno how many skill there will be But I am guessing the racial skill are very limited in number. 

That said anyone will be able to make a drow regardless of whether they bought any founders pack, at worst you will be able to unlock the race via the cash shop.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.