Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Beta Weekends and Founders' Packs Detailed

Comments

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    I'm not interested in the pre-order packs, I'll just play to see how long after the Primordial and the Dread Ring this game takes place. It'll be neat to see how Neverwinter has grown after being completely leveled.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

I'm a subscription lover, so I'm just excited the beta "weekends" are coming soon, was nice of them to disclose that closed beta keys were actually for stress test weekends and not to be part of closed beta.......nice job pwe..tricked me. I'm not the least bit disturbed that they are offering  these packs, I never need the fluff garbage.....but I know people that love those items. To me its basically saying pay me $60 dollars for the game and 10 months of subscription up front for a few digital items. I would prefer to pay the 60 for the game and then I will decide if it's worthy of a subscription.

Lol at people that love F2P and screamed it, well there you go.......now every game that is free or B2P is continually going to charge for every little thing...........as you noticed in one of the packs..additonal 12 spaces of inventory. F2P  finds a way to nickle and dime you for the necessary things .......inventory, hot bars, etc.

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by FoeHammerJT
    You players wanted more "Free 2 Play"! Here it is! IT only costs $20-$200 bux! PLUS all the exclusives like hotbars and inventory space they will sell you AFTER release!

See the $200 tier as a pledge by a somewhat wealthy fan to help the developers pay their bills, and make the game better for everyone by continued development.

The person who pays the $200 choose to do so because he is somewhat wealthy and in this harsh economy (see THQ) we need people like him.

You misunderstand me I think. I am all for companies being profitable. I myself am an entrepreneur. I have a business to maintain and understand the need of covering costs etc etc etc.

My true issue is that "F2P" brings alot of trouble with it. ALOT. Spam, gold farmers, bot accounts, the list is very long and that isnt the point of the thread.

$200 bucks for a purely digital copy, that doesnt even guarantee future content..it seems like F2P is getting pretty expensive doesnt it?

And that, ultimately, is my point. If game companies are making more from F2P games, how, exactly is that saving the average content desiring consumer?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Benbrada
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus
    They previously said that lifetime subscribers to STO and Champs would get beta access. I want to know when that will happen.

In the same queue with us that bought Torchlight II and were promised the same :-(

i'm still waiting on my beta key from pre-ordering TL2 off the perfectworld website.. on ticket #4... well see how this one goes..

Ouch... I recieved that a long time ago and have registered it.

each time they tell me beta hasn't started yet and keys will go out closer to beta even though it seems everyone else got there key same time they got there TL2 email...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

lol people shell out money all day for "kickstarters" even saw one in this thread......yet  "oh lawdy a founder's pack!!!, OMG this company trying to rob us!!!!"

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Grinnz

lol people shell out money all day for "kickstarters" even saw one in this thread......yet  "oh lawdy a founder's pack!!!, OMG this company trying to rob us!!!!"

Actually the arguement is it's overpriced for digital items and services only............no physical anything.

Guess you would have to read the thread.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Searias
    I am trying to pre-order the Hero of the North Founder’s Pack but can't seem to find it. Anyone know when it's going to be up for pre-ordering?

Original article says:

"Players will be able to purchase Founder's Packs on the official Neverwinter web page starting tomorrow." i.e. 1/29/2013

Thanks, serves me right for not reading the entire article :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

from official forum:

the part in that article that states in the subject line, "You can play Drizzt" - is VERY misleading. You CANNOT be Drizzt. You can however, if you buy that particular Package, have a similar background to his for your drow character(s).

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Damn I wanna play a Drow but $200 is out of my price range right now with so many other great MMOs taking my time and money! Might splurge on the $60 pack as it seems like a good deal though. I don't mind supporting a game even f2p

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

Way to expensive for founders packs... what is this new BS where companies make us pay to supposedly beta test?

You're really just paying for early access, guaranteed beta time, and a few perks.  If you can wait, might as well!  It'll be F2P after all.

I can understand a 60$ founder pack. It's kind of like buying a ps3 game or buying the client if you will but 200$ is just retarded

The $200 pack is obviously not meant for everyone, which is why there are three tiers to the program. I'm not sure why people react this way every time a new game announces a pack like this. Think back to any MMO you've ever played, didn't you know that 'one guy' who always played? Even when you took a break for six months and came back? He'd still be there happily playing like it was the first month of launch.

That's the player who will be interested in the top-tier pack. It's not like PWE (or any other game offering this sort of thing) is only offering a single high priced tier.  No one's forcing you to buy the thing. The fact of the matter is that game development costs real money and being able to guarantee some sort of upfront revenue is pretty attractive, especially when you're giving away the game for free. I think offering excited and dedicated fans some additional value in exchange for an upfront cost can be a real win-win for both parties involved when done well.

Have at it if you want to criticize the actual content:value ratio of this particular pack (or any other), but I think the kneejerk scoffing at the price of these high-tier packs and $150 Collector Editions is honestly a bit silly.

There nothing kneejerk about it, it is downright scammy, your example doesn't hold water, that guy that keeps playing and playing and playing won't know if he will like the game till he tries it.

The problem is that it add a bunch of junk you don't really want to force you to spend more for that "exculsive" item you can only get while the founders deal is going.

If it was truly like you say they would add the exclusive items and account unlocks in all three tiers minus the other junk you will be able to buy from the cash shop.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Actually the arguement is it's overpriced for digital items and services only............no physical anything.

And how is that any different than digital only rewards from a Kickstarter?  Does it make it okay or a better deal if they mail you a mousepad a sticker?

That depends solely on your point of view and what you consider of value.

I believe the majority of complaints here revolve around the quickly increasing cost of content. $140 more for lets see:

2 Extra Days in Beta..(Paid Beta time is F2P???)

A race

A mount

A pet

A title

No queue (Ahhhh Queues, the greatest addition that F2P has brought the gaming community..a wait..to play a game..)

Excluding the Queue, because loggging into a game in a timely manner used to be free and a must for any game, we arrive at a cost of 28.00 per perk. Not a single one of which, you will ever be able to hold, or keep after the servers are down.

Sounds like a great deal, pony on up! 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Not gonna lie... tempted to shell $200 for the Drizzt-alike. :P 

Edit: At least in this case, you're not paying a "Life Sub", just for a lot of perks. The above tongue-emote implies sarcasm by the way. 

Your rich Bill. This is how I felt. image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    FoeHammerJT people on kickstarter gladly pay 5000$ extra to name a place in the game.

And how is that any different than digital only rewards from a Kickstarter?  Does it make it okay or a better deal if they mail you a mousepad a sticker?

Funding a game for development is not the same as buying a game package from a game already developed.

Da?

• xBarachielxxBarachielx Member Posts: 15
    Cryptic and Perfect World Entertainment.  Exactly the two names I would trust when blndly handing out money.  image

Funding a game for development is not the same as buying a game package from a game already developed.

Da?

Some of the packages you get on kickstarter are extremely similar :P

A MMO is always in development, they dont stop after release.

Da?

Grasping at straws eh?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

Da?

Are you saying PWE and Cryptic are like small indie companies and need our extra support lol? 

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Just a note-

$200 pack doesn't unlock drow race, everyone has access to drow race.  What you're getting is the "Renegade" drow "background.'  No confirmation is that means different or additional skills over the standard drow.

• k44mosk44mos Member Posts: 22

I love how I bought TL2 just to be in the NW beta and I get "two days of closed beta". This is so XTREME that I can't possibly explain it through mere words.

You know what Cryptic? Fuck off.

Da?

Grasping at straws eh?

Is Neverwinter already developed?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    This preorder pricing stuff is getting interesting.  If devs can sell these $200 top tier packs without any physical product, I can easily that shifting to $200 as top tier digital with a $300 or even $500 boxed edition above it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Not gonna lie... tempted to shell $200 for the Drizzt-alike. :P 

Edit: At least in this case, you're not paying a "Life Sub", just for a lot of perks. The above tongue-emote implies sarcasm by the way. 

Considering your place in the universe, I'd say it's required that you make this purchase.  I don't know if I would share that information with everyone around here however, you know how pissy they get.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Ok so really the marketing teams for these mmorpgs need to get real. This "WAS" number one on my watch list, but now it's off the list due to this stupidity. I don't care if this turns out to be the best mmorpg ever made. I will not play it.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

I was interested. Didnt mind the cash shop thing. There coin has a cool name, Zen. ( for the cash shop)

Now...im not so sure.