Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xi3 Products - Too pricey?

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

So I wanted to get one just cuz it looked cute.  Then I looked at the price.  

*facepalm* Ai can haz just case pl0x?

$659.00

Color: Steel (Gray)

Processor Standard- Athlon Dual Core 3400E 22W - 2G DDR2

HardDrive: $50.00 Internal 32G SSD

Mount: Standard None

Keyboard/Mouse None

OperatingSystem: $110.00Windows 7 Home 64-Bit

I mean dont get me wrong.  It looks really good and most of that is probably to pay off the modular motherboard but still...

For that price, I might as well get a mini itx with an A-10 5800k and use one of those super small cases o.o 

What do you guys think?  

Edit :  This build is about 80-100 dollars more expensive than the X3A but it will perform so much better.  Its lacking an OS and I havent really looked for a better aftermarket heatsink (because the fan wont fit unless you mount it outside the case)

A-10 tiny build : 

ASRock FM2A75M-ITX FM2 Motherboard  - $90

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB  DDR3 1866  - $95

AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz - $130

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD - $150

Antek ISK case - $100

PicoPSU AC-DC Adapter (192W) - $50

PicoPSU-150-xt DC-DC ATX PSU (150W) - $45

= $660.

If you want to slap in a 200mm fan on the ISK 100 case instead of the fan that comes with it that sits right above where the cpu heatsink would be, add another $20ish.  If you want an easier time with the heat, use a 5700. 

Form factor is  9.8"  x (4.3" + however thick your 200mm fan is) x 8.3" 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    They're betting that people will be willing to pay a very large price premium for the form factor.  It's kind of like Intel's bet with ultrabooks, or Apple's bet with Macs.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Those also come only with 2 GB of RAM and only come with 64 bit Windows or Linux. Their own notes say their standard 16GB SSD isn't big enough to hold an MS OS much less any applications. Those systems make no sense whatsoever.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Remeber these things are designed to sit comfortably near a TV, not at a computer desk, so form factor is a big part of it.

My main question is what kind of GPU does it have?  I couldn't find any information on that...

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

After further reading, I might be getting this confused with the "steambox" version that was shown a while ago...

This really looks more like an expensive Raspberry Pi than enything else.  They can be clustered together (doesn't explain through which means, but presumably only through Linux), but that's still a bit expensive for clustering.  They're solid state, so there's no noise, but they're a bit too bulky to be used for most "embedded" projects (thinner and faltter would be better)...

I guess it works for a small internet browsing device but, again, the cost really is way too high.

You make me like charity

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Remeber these things are designed to sit comfortably near a TV, not at a computer desk, so form factor is a big part of it.

My main question is what kind of GPU does it have?  I couldn't find any information on that...

Im writing up a SFF build you can use and spend $100 more for a much better performance.  That doesnt have a gpu afaik. Just that specific processor. 

Edit : I put up the counter build for the Xi3 X7a even if we only have the X5A specs cuz the price is so similar. 

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by asmkm22

If form factor alone was enough everyone would be running out to grab a Raspberry Pi lol. $25-$35 for a basic PC thats the size of a flash drive lol. 

Edited to add: Should have kept reading as it seems you've already said as much. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    That is one expensive paperweight...  and roughly about all their good for tbh.. image
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Believe me Id get the raspberry pi IF IT WERE ACTUALLY IN STOCK! *rage* 

( o.o)
    (")(")

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    It remind me of gamecube.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Somewat