Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Petition, Make Tamriel Seamless.

Comments

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Thandras

Just trying to give some perspective to this "Go anywhere, join any faction" debate.

Let's use World War II for an example. I don't think you found many American, British or other citizens of the allied countries taking strolls in downtown Berlin or Tokyo. I don't think the Nazi party or the Empire of Japan would have just accepted any person from one of the Allied countries who said "Hey, I want to join". The same examples would work in the other direction as well.

So, if the lore behind the game is based on a War with certain Alliances battling other alliances then the segregation makes perferct sense. I have a hard time getting my head around why people want it to be just willy nilly, unless they are just griefers who want to go to low level zones to gank lowbies.

I guess it's easier for me to see what they are going for here because I was a long time DAOC player. It was really done well prior to TOA. The PVE zones gave opportunity for exploration and for those who wanted risk while leveling, the best exp came from mobs in the frontiers where it was open season. Greater risk equaled greater reward.

I'm hoping the game can recapture some of DAOC's magic for me. But like I've said before, nostalgia is hard to duplicate.

Not the first time I've heard the WWII argument.  In my opinion it's more like the dynasty wars in china.  It wasn't governments fighting each other but rather groups of people (families rather) fighting for control over areas and people. While some joined the armies others rebelled.

• MollowMollow Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Faction Locking is Great!

you know what the means?  Reply ability..    DAOC had faction locking; all three realms had their own lore, classes, races, continents, architecture, and feel.

If you got bored, you just re rolled on a new realm and it was like a completely new game, Best idea ever.

I FULLY support faction locking.

DAoC lore is different from TES lore.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Once in a while I hire an employee who ends up basically having his personality.  They come in think they can change the industry (I'm not in the game industry, but one similar), without understanding some of the more basic realities that we have to deal with.  Employees like that don't last long.

So unless he has a rich uncle to bankroll his little dream game, he's in for a hell of a time getting funding, much less the position of authority to dictate design.

Spoken like someone working in an industry that is running with outdated infrastructure and out of touch with its consumers and more than likely soon to be taken over, or run out of business by the movers and the shakers.

Companies with that mentality never grow nor can keep up with others. The very website you are posting on wouldnt be what it is if it wasnt for websites 10 years ago being moved by the wayside by someone making a website that broke the mold...and you NEVER break the mold with your train of thought, it requires a mind wanting to CHANGE the industry.

Not at all.  My point is, there are right ways of making change, and wrong ways.

Trying to change something with no experience and no understanding of why things are the way they are (often for reasons outside of your control, like consumer demand or available funding), only makes those in charge less likely to give you the chance to manage a project down the road.  If he wants to bypass the whole process of earning his way up to a position of responsibility then he has to simply start his own studio, making him in charge by default.  That takes quite a bit of money, however, which is what I mentioned.

As for this website, it "is what is is" simply because of the domain name.  There is very little in the way of quality here.  There's no journalism, only regular "opinion" articles that read like the summary of an actual article.  The tech behind the website is completely dated (look at how vieweing pictures requires a complete page refresh, for example) as well.  This site, is populated for the same reasons WoW is populated, and it has very little to do with quality.

Being a consumer grants you a perspective that the developers lack. Every angle possible should be viewed by a developer. More often than not games fail because the devs think that their game is the most wonderful thing in the world, and disregarding any and all critisism. That is of course more common within the smaller companies.

Just trying to give some perspective to this "Go anywhere, join any faction" debate.

Let's use World War II for an example. I don't think you found many American, British or other citizens of the allied countries taking strolls in downtown Berlin or Tokyo. I don't think the Nazi party or the Empire of Japan would have just accepted any person from one of the Allied countries who said "Hey, I want to join". The same examples would work in the other direction as well.

So, if the lore behind the game is based on a War with certain Alliances battling other alliances then the segregation makes perferct sense. I have a hard time getting my head around why people want it to be just willy nilly, unless they are just griefers who want to go to low level zones to gank lowbies.

I guess it's easier for me to see what they are going for here because I was a long time DAOC player. It was really done well prior to TOA. The PVE zones gave opportunity for exploration and for those who wanted risk while leveling, the best exp came from mobs in the frontiers where it was open season. Greater risk equaled greater reward.

I'm hoping the game can recapture some of DAOC's magic for me. But like I've said before, nostalgia is hard to duplicate.

Well, I should tell you that Albert Einstein actually went to America to avoid the war. That didn't cause the Americans to arrest him and keep him as a prisoner of war. That doesn't mean that anyone could come and go of course but let's be frank, I'm not asking for you to be able to join any faction at will, I'm asking to be able to walk around Tamriel and explore without being restricted by your alliance.

And yes, you might have a good perspective from a DAOC sort of standpoint, but this is not DAOC, even if it does share some of its traits. Zenimax's goal is to make an MMO that captures the feeling of The Elder Scrolls, not to capture the feeling of DAOC. And The Elder Scrolls series are renowned for being open and explorable, no matter what faction you choose to follow, be it thieves- or mages guild. In oblivion you could still get into the Arcane Tower even if you didn't join the Mages Guild.

Originally posted by ikarrian
    This game will run totally fine without the fanatic PvPers who want to run and gank explorers / RPers. 

There won't be that many fanatic PvPers if the PvP is restricted in enemy factions. Which gives room to explore. However the explorers might find themselves being constantly ganked. But that is a risk they'll just have to take.

Edit: On an additional note, it creates a feeling of unity and pride for ones alliance if one is to find an unwelcomed explorer in their territory when they've eliminated him.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by ikarrian
    This game will run totally fine without the fanatic PvPers who want to run and gank explorers / RPers. 

There won't be that many fanatic PvPers if the PvP is restricted in enemy factions. Which gives room to explore. However the explorers might find themselves being constantly ganked. But that is a risk they'll just have to take.

Why do they have to take the risk? There are plenty of openworld,free-for-all-games out there. With ppl who dont care if they get ganked. Pick one of those then. Why do the pvpers always think their needs should go ahead of everyone else? always been like that. They whine as soon as there is some imbalance regarding skills. So the rest of the playerbase have to adjust after that. Seen that before in WoW and Rift. Something works good in PvE, but not in PvP, so the PvPers whine on forums and the company have to change to stop the whine. Well hopefully Bethesda change that, and its about tíme they listen to the explorers.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Make a mmo that's like the single player with the odd bit of grouping.

Hmm

Think bioware tried that.

Theres lots of things from tes that would never work in a mmo. Pausing, adjusting the difficulty on the fly.

There's also things they should never try in a mmo. Companions being the obvious one
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Arslohz

Yeah because pvp hate games like planetside and daoc, lol.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by Hycoo
    Lets all be thankful it's one of the last mmorpgs with this type of gated/limited content. They gotta go a whole other direction if they wanna keep people playing their games.

Indeed I am glad.  I hope after this game it will make other AAA developers stop and think - I just hate to see another great IP molested.

You know this could've been the game that took MMOs out of their box too.

I was hoping that the linear, banal, derivative themepark model would have died with SWTOR.

Sadly this isnt the case as Zenimax seems to be following that same pattern and unfortunately one of the best and most loved IP is in the crosshairs.

I totally agree. TESO "could have been" the perfect game to take the genre out of the darkness and revolutionize the industry.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Yakkin

Spoken like someone working in an industry that is running with outdated infrastructure and out of touch with its consumers and more than likely soon to be taken over, or run out of business by the movers and the shakers.

Companies with that mentality never grow nor can keep up with others. The very website you are posting on wouldnt be what it is if it wasnt for websites 10 years ago being moved by the wayside by someone making a website that broke the mold...and you NEVER break the mold with your train of thought, it requires a mind wanting to CHANGE the industry.

Being realistic and pragmatic isn't the same thing as being outdated and out of touch.

Making a currently new and popular IP using a game released in 2002/2003 that was never popular compared to the more popular MMOs basically making drastic changes to the original IP that most of its fans are used to is not being realistic and pragmatic, its being outdated and out of touch.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Well many Germans answered the call to return the the Fatherland from all countries of birth. Americans, English, Russians...many japanese fought for America in the 2nd world war. Sides were nto cut and dry, no ALL Germans were fighting for Germany and likewise for any nation involved. hence why spys were able to do waht they did. Your point isn't really valid as making real life points to back up your argument actually proove the oppersite.

Oh and as for all the positive thinkers out there. I am well aware on what the industry is and what I will need to do to get into it. I didn't sign up to change career going from an £80,000 position to a £10,000 start position without understanding I will need to start at the bottom, learn the ropes, proove myself and then eventually get where I want. I get noticed on what I do not what I say. But your points are accepted and i am under no illusion that I will be lead design or creative director without putting in the ground work. I fully understand what hard work is involved...but I would rather struggle to get there doing something I enjoy then what I am doing now so it is all good. I will continue to enjoy games whether I make them or not.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Hycoo
    Lol it won't be the last.

Just 3 games off the top of my head that look to be way more "wow clone" than TESO - neverwinter, firefall and wildstar.

2 of those are the Dev Companys own original IPs. They arent butchering a long standing and much loved one to make their games

The other is being made by Cryptic and we have all seen what they have done with the Star Trek IP

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Not at all.  My point is, there are right ways of making change, and wrong ways.

Trying to change something with no experience and no understanding of why things are the way they are (often for reasons outside of your control, like consumer demand or available funding), only makes those in charge less likely to give you the chance to manage a project down the road.  If he wants to bypass the whole process of earning his way up to a position of responsibility then he has to simply start his own studio, making him in charge by default.  That takes quite a bit of money, however, which is what I mentioned.

As for this website, it "is what is is" simply because of the domain name.  There is very little in the way of quality here.  There's no journalism, only regular "opinion" articles that read like the summary of an actual article.  The tech behind the website is completely dated (look at how vieweing pictures requires a complete page refresh, for example) as well.  This site, is populated for the same reasons WoW is populated, and it has very little to do with quality.

Actually, that is OUR POINT.

There are right ways and wrong ways to change things and seeing as how there ARE MMORPGS THAT ARE CLOSER TO TES THAN WHAT THEY ARE DOING...there are NO EXCUSES to make those changes. Especially when they are doing nothing more than making DAOC2 with the TES name. DaoC was NOT a great game, its highest population was AVERAGE for its time, to use THAT game as a basis for TES alone is freaking MORONIC especially when you look at how some of the FEW things DaoC did that was somewhat NEW has been vastly improved on by newer games.

and im not even going to bother with the last part, cleary what I said didnt sink in even a little and went way over your head.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by asrlohz   Zenimax's goal is to make an MMO that captures the feeling of The Elder Scrolls, not to capture the feeling of DAOC. And The Elder Scrolls series are renowned for being open and explorable, no matter what faction you choose to follow, be it thieves- or mages guild. In oblivion you could still get into the Arcane Tower even if you didn't join the Mages Guild.

LOL. No, Zenimax's (Firors) goal is to remake DAOC, but still try to capture some of the feeling of Elder Scrolls so they can capture as much $$ as they can from fans of both

Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by asrlohz   Zenimax's goal is to make an MMO that captures the feeling of The Elder Scrolls, not to capture the feeling of DAOC. And The Elder Scrolls series are renowned for being open and explorable, no matter what faction you choose to follow, be it thieves- or mages guild. In oblivion you could still get into the Arcane Tower even if you didn't join the Mages Guild.

LOL. No, Zenimax's (Firors) goal is to remake DAOC, but still try to capture some of the feeling of Elder Scrolls so they can capture as much $$ as they can from fans of both

When you post a legit source of that, I'll believe you.

Yes, they want to bring in money from both groups, but may I remind you that DAOC wasn't the most succesful MMO of all time? If they will cater to any group they will turn towards WoW.

I'd personally prefer having it inspired by DAOC above WoW, but claiming that they base their game on a game that the majority of the MMO gamers haven't played is pure rubbish.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Faction Locking is Great!

you know what the means?  Reply ability..    DAOC had faction locking; all three realms had their own lore, classes, races, continents, architecture, and feel.

If you got bored, you just re rolled on a new realm and it was like a completely new game, Best idea ever.

I FULLY support faction locking.

Thats the way I look at it tbh, would rather have content for a later date when i'm bored than burn through it all on one toon and get burnt out

Yes, they want to bring in money from both groups, but may I remind you that DAOC wasn't the most succesful MMO of all time? If they will cater to any group they will turn towards WoW.

I'd personally prefer having it inspired by DAOC above WoW, but claiming that they base their game on a game that the majority of the MMO gamers haven't played is pure rubbish.

No legit source, just speculation.

However there are quite a few indicators that lead me to believe that is Firors intent. He was a Dev with Mythic on that game afterall and the Lead Dev that brought about ToA

You dont have to remind me that DAoC was not the most successful MMO of all time. I am well aware of that. It was a niche game.

Id prefer the game be inspired by Elder Scrolls above DAoC since, well it is called Elder Scrolls Online

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Actually, that is OUR POINT.

There are right ways and wrong ways to change things and seeing as how there ARE MMORPGS THAT ARE CLOSER TO TES THAN WHAT THEY ARE DOING...there are NO EXCUSES to make those changes. Especially when they are doing nothing more than making DAOC2 with the TES name. DaoC was NOT a great game, its highest population was AVERAGE for its time, to use THAT game as a basis for TES alone is freaking MORONIC especially when you look at how some of the FEW things DaoC did that was somewhat NEW has been vastly improved on by newer games.

and im not even going to bother with the last part, cleary what I said didnt sink in even a little and went way over your head.

Who are you to decide which is the right or wrong way? I also love how some of you have started with this idea that all of sudden DAOC was just another MMO,  it laid the groundwork for many PVP systems that followed.

I just wanna know why you guys can't get it, there are people who disagree with your point of view. You're acting as though you have some final say on these matters, to put it frankly, you do not.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

The source is in the game itself;  races and land faction locked and a huge place in the middle were everyone fights.

What groups?  TES fans and MMO players are the same people, the isn't a huge gap between these two groups.  They didn't even to cater to MMO fans they catered to the generic idea of a MMO.  MMO players don't even want the same crap recycled over and over.

I'd personally prefer having it inspired by TES.  Setting more fitting to the lore of the 2nd era.  Three different groups (not a collection of races) fighting for the throne.  Players would have a choice on which group they want to fight for and can explore all of Tamriel on one character.  In addition I think there should be a manual flagging system that player can choose to FFA wPvP or Facton wPvP while outside Cyrodiil.

Originally posted by deako

Thats the way I look at it tbh, would rather have content for a later date when i'm bored than burn through it all on one toon and get burnt out

How would no faction locks reduce the content you play?  If there is 3 different paths to level, there will always be 3 different paths to level.  It doesn't matter if there are faction locks or not.  You would just have to choose a different faction area to level up in to get new content.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Even WoW does open world PvP better. They should of gone with two mega servers. A PVE server with the current rulset they are showing and a PvP rulset servet that allows actual open world PvP between the factions.
    Originally posted by Distopia

Who are you to decide which is the right or wrong way? I also love how some of you have started with this idea that all of sudden DAOC was just another MMO,  it laid the groundwork for many PVP systems that followed.

I just wanna know why you guys can't get it, there are people who disagree with your point of view. You're acting as though you have some final say on these matters, to put it frankly, you do not.

Hypocrite much?

Practice what you preach

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

How would no faction locks reduce the content you play?  If there is 3 different paths to level, there will always be 3 different paths to level.  It doesn't matter if there are faction locks or not.  You would just have to choose a different faction area to level up in to get new content.

The fact that there are 3 over arching stories rather than just one very long one means that theres more of a reason to replay the game, because the content will be 100% new/fresh

On the flip side how do racial areas limit the content you can access? All you have to do is make a new toon. I have dozens of Skyrim characters, had dozens of Oblivion characters, same goes for Morrowind. Nothing new to me there in terms of TES titles, I make a dif toon for every guild/side in the game. This seems even better as each alliance choice offers unique environments/stories, etc...

Originally posted by Distopia

Hypocrite much?

Practice what you preach

I get that you want something else,  am I telling you my way is the only right way? I think it's safe to say I am practicing what i preach, as I understand my point of view is simply an opinion.