Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open World and Instances: Saints Row Musing...

So I'm playing Saints Row the Third, and a thought comes to my head as I enter an instance:

"If people are fine with instances existing in single-player open world games, then what's the big deal with instances existing in open-world massively multiplayer games?"

Granted, maybe there is some leap in logic I am missing, but it struck me as odd. Any explanation?

Also, INb4 Narius and his passionate love of lobbies (Yes, that does get annoying after a while).

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Yakkin

So I'm playing Saints Row the Third, and a thought comes to my head as I enter an instance:

"If people are fine with instances existing in single-player open world games, then what's the big deal with instances existing in open-world massively multiplayer games?"

Granted, maybe there is some leap in logic I am missing, but it struck me as odd. Any explanation?

Also, INb4 Narius and his passionate love of lobbies (Yes, that does get annoying after a while).

There is no no biggie. Instance is pretty much an accepted practice in online gaming. Just some people here don't like it .. and i doubt if instance if ever going to go away just because a minority rant & moan.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    I didn't understand the need of instance in a single-player game.

Alias... how can there be a "instance" in a single-player game? Did i miss something in the OP post?

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Alias... how can there be a "instance" in a single-player game? Did i miss something in the OP post?

What I think he means is the idea of loading screens to enter a dungeon or another zone. As in not entirely seamless, not necessarily breaking up every instance of the dungeon for X players, though that is pretty strongly linked to instances in MMOs as we all know.

I assume he is referring to a lot of people that post how loading into wherever breaks their immersion but then talk about how immersive games like, say Skyrim are, even though they load into places all the time in those games.

Originally posted by RandomDown

What I think he means is the idea of loading screens to enter a dungeon or another zone. As in not entirely seamless, not necessarily breaking up every instance of the dungeon for X players, though that is pretty strongly linked to instances in MMOs as we all know.

I assume he is referring to a lot of people that post how loading into wherever breaks their immersion but then talk about how immersive games like, say Skyrim are, even though they load into places all the time in those games.

To me, the definition of "instance" is a enviroment from what multiple copies are created, one to each group of players.

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    That is indeed the way its used in MMOs as far as I am aware, and the way I would have used it. I'm simply trying to interpret what the OP meant, and I believe that was it.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by RandomDown

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant, although truth be told both are almost interchangeable to me, so I apologize if there was some confusion over my meaning.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Yakkin

After loading screens or entering/exitting instances in a singleplayer game in most cases the ingame world has changed for you.

In most instances within a MMO nothing really changes in the ingame outside "open" world.

Kinda the same reason I accept story in singleplayer RPG's where in a MMORPG I expect the RPG part to come from it's players and not from the NPC's. Nothing really changes for other players once you saved a planet, a continent, a world.

I just want a certain degree of freedom set in a more virtual world to immerse myself into. Would I constantly be interupted by loading screen it lessons my ingame experiance and while it seems similar to singleplayer loading scenes it actually seperate you from the ingame world.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

There are no instances in single palyer games LOL.. why on earth would a single player game run multiple versions of the same level that you on?

Now if your talking about zones that different kettle of fish, a zone is not an instance and does have its place in some MMOs.

Now Open world/Seamless worlds are a lot better, the reason we play MMOs is so we can play with other people and doing this in a open/seamelss world like in real life just feels a lot better.

I find the use of instances in an MMO annoying, if i go to a location in an MMO to meet up with someone I then dont want to have to switch to a different instance to find then.. it jsut means there are less people actualyl playing togeather. its a cheap way to get around performance issues thats all..

Originally posted by Caldrin

There are no instances in single palyer games LOL.. why on earth would a single player game run multiple versions of the same level that you on?

Surely there is. Borderland is a good example. There are millions of copies of the levels running at the same time, and you are in one copy with 3 other friends.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Surely there is. Borderland is a good example. There are millions of copies of the levels running at the same time, and you are in one copy with 3 other friends.

If there are 3 of you playing together, it's not a single-player game.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It would seem many complaints about this stem from those who do not like their Immersion being broken, as well as those who hate any barrier or escape route for those who would like to avoid thier gank.

Edit: but what do I know?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

If there are 3 of you playing together, it's not a single-player game.

So i guess MP online games, but not MMO. How about that?

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I never understood why people love instancing in MMO worlds..  One is private, one is public, and they operate different from one another.. Today's mmorpg's aren't much different then your Xbox lobby based games.. You have online access to group up with others in a private zone.. Yep.. that's social.. NOT!  I wish instancing technology was never invented.. LOL
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

some games have instanced areas that copy the original, each time you reenter the place. so nothing stays. look at Demon Soul. Each time you enter the area it restarts, no matter how many times you cleared it.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by Rydeson
         I never understood why people love instancing in MMO worlds..  One is private, one is public, and they operate different from one another.. Today's mmorpg's aren't much different then your Xbox lobby based games.. You have online access to group up with others in a private zone.. Yep.. that's social.. NOT!  I wish instancing technology was never invented.. LOL

What is not social about talking to people in the lobby, and form a game together? That is as social as chatting with them in a world, then form a dungeon group.

And instances have many advantages ..  the foremost is that your group is never going to be affected by unwanted others.

And yes, it is little difference from Diablo 3, or Borderland. So? Lobby games can be fun.