Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Petition, Make Tamriel Seamless.

Comments

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Fearum
    [mod edit]

I am personally doing something about it. Near the end of a 3 year course and am hoping to get a job in game development at the end of it and change career as I am bored of what I do and 25 years doing it is enough. So while I am still technically an armchair developer that is not by choice but simply oppertunity. GFinish my course, work my way up and gain experience and then I WILL make the game I choose and I guarantee I won't be making stupid design descisions through lazyness or lack of idea's or to try and win a market that is already saturated.

I guess looking at this fresh means i an less jaded by the industry but also from an outside view I see that the industry is very jaded and stuck in a rut. Partly due to 'money' going to the same games rehashed (never gonna win a market by producing the same game as the market leader, no incentive to leave the game for a copy) and partly I think because new idea's are just not being given free reign to find the new path and new success.

It is a shame that the game was designed when people thought the market wanted more themepark/WOW/scripted games when the market trend is nto for non themepark/non WOW/free games (and please no WOW this or that comments, just using the current market leder as the best example to give on what the trends were 5 years ago).

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by sapphen

I feel that Tamriel should be seamless, if this is not possible then at least we should be able to travel the world on one character.  Not everyone likes making alts and it isn't fair to expect them to create and level 2 different alts in order to see the world.

While I would've love to have some type of wPvP, I want this option for PvE/exploration purposes.  IF PvP was added in then I would prefer to have a system in which people would flag themselves for PvP.  They would have to flag themselves "FFA wPvP or "Facton wPvP" to fight other players outside the AvA center stage.

I think the lack of full exploration (and even freedom to choose your faction) is a horrible direction for this game.  I would support Zenimax if they needed to take another year to make these changes.  I would rather see a complete game with the correct systems than an incomplete game that no one would be happy with.

Disclaimer:  Everything I said is my own opinion.  I don't mean to offend anyone here and would love to talk about it, but I kindly ask that we do so in a civil manner.

This is exactly what I want with TESO. That the game caters to everyone. We all play The Elder Scrolls in our own little way. I always go stealth and play as a Dunmer and explore rather than kill. We all have our own playstyles, I don't think that making the game an MMO should have to restrict some of us.

Of course, this is also a personal opinion. But I think that we all have our own reasons to why we'd want the whole continent to be free of restrictions.

Plain and simple, if the games caters to everyone it will end up pleasing no one. There will be too many compromises and it will end up pissing people off

My opinion here.

It might have been a good starting point to try and aim for the TES fans first rather then the DAOC fans. It is the TES IP afterall....

My opinion :)

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I feel that Tamriel should be seamless, if this is not possible then at least we should be able to travel the world on one character.  Not everyone likes making alts and it isn't fair to expect them to create and level 2 different alts in order to see the world.

While I would've love to have some type of wPvP, I want this option for PvE/exploration purposes.  IF PvP was added in then I would prefer to have a system in which people would flag themselves for PvP.  They would have to flag themselves "FFA wPvP or "Facton wPvP" to fight other players outside the AvA center stage.

I think the lack of full exploration (and even freedom to choose your faction) is a horrible direction for this game.  I would support Zenimax if they needed to take another year to make these changes.  I would rather see a complete game with the correct systems than an incomplete game that no one would be happy with.

Disclaimer:  Everything I said is my own opinion.  I don't mean to offend anyone here and would love to talk about it, but I kindly ask that we do so in a civil manner.

This is exactly what I want with TESO. That the game caters to everyone. We all play The Elder Scrolls in our own little way. I always go stealth and play as a Dunmer and explore rather than kill. We all have our own playstyles, I don't think that making the game an MMO should have to restrict some of us.

Of course, this is also a personal opinion. But I think that we all have our own reasons to why we'd want the whole continent to be free of restrictions.

Plain and simple, if the games caters to everyone it will end up pleasing no one. There will be too many compromises and it will end up pissing people off

My opinion here.

It might have been a good starting point to try and aim for the TES fans first rather then the DAOC fans. It is the TES IP afterall....

TES fans are going to buy it regardless, so why "aim" to basically just make a multiplayer Skyrim?  The point of branching out into a new genre is to expand your audience, not canabalize your existing one.

You make me like charity

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    [mod edit]

I am personally doing something about it. Near the end of a 3 year course and am hoping to get a job in game development at the end of it and change career as I am bored of what I do and 25 years doing it is enough. So while I am still technically an armchair developer that is not by choice but simply oppertunity. GFinish my course, work my way up and gain experience and then I WILL make the game I choose and I guarantee I won't be making stupid design descisions through lazyness or lack of idea's or to try and win a market that is already saturated.

I guess looking at this fresh means i an less jaded by the industry but also from an outside view I see that the industry is very jaded and stuck in a rut. Partly due to 'money' going to the same games rehashed (never gonna win a market by producing the same game as the market leader, no incentive to leave the game for a copy) and partly I think because new idea's are just not being given free reign to find the new path and new success.

It is a shame that the game was designed when people thought the market wanted more themepark/WOW/scripted games when the market trend is nto for non themepark/non WOW/free games (and please no WOW this or that comments, just using the current market leder as the best example to give on what the trends were 5 years ago).

No experience here, but I will say you might want to be a little more realistic. It will be an uphill battle to get into a position of being able to create a game YOU want, rather than doing stuff other people wants. In addition, video games aren't simply "have a dream and make it", mostly because you have to factor in other people's vision and personal thoughts (and this is probably especially the case for making something as big as an MMO), budget, unforeseen circumstances, obstructive publishers, and the list goes on.

Granted if you can pull it off, well congrats. But you really do want to be careful, because you might find that your ideals clash with harsh reality more times than you want.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

My opinion here.

But it has got a lot in common with tes games, more so than daoc really

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    [mod edit]

First of all "good for you that you are going into something that really interests you".

Secondly, I think you might find that the reality is different from the fantasy. Unless you are funding the entire thing yourself you might find that you can't call all the shots.

Heck, let's look at Curt Schilling. All he really wanted to do was make his "great game". But in the end, no matter the money he had, he couldn't make solid business decisions and everything went bust.

It takes more than knowledge or even money to make a game. Sometimes you have to compromise.

heck, some of the plays I directed, where one would think I would have the ultimate say, ended up being lessons in compromise.

Sometimes it's like herding cats.

You might find that good intentions and a strong vision aren't enough. Then again, more power to you if you can make it happen. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

LOL, you're crazy to think someone is going to pay you to make your dream.  You design for the project, not for yourself.  I could see this being a mistake made by ESO developers - instead of designing for TES, they was trying to recreate their DAoC dream.

Originally posted by Yakkin
    [mod edit]

No experience here, but I will say you might want to be a little more realistic. It will be one hellish uphill battle to get into a position of being able to create a game YOU want, rather than doing stuff other people wants. In addition, video games aren't simply "have a dream and make it", mostly because you have to factor in other people, budget, unforeseen circumstances, obstructive suits, and the list goes on.

Granted if you can pull it off, well congrats. But you really do want to be careful, because you might find that your ideals clash with harsh reality more times than you want.

Once in a while I hire an employee who ends up basically having his personality.  They come in think they can change the industry (I'm not in the game industry, but one similar), without understanding some of the more basic realities that we have to deal with.  Employees like that don't last long.

So unless he has a rich uncle to bankroll his little dream game, he's in for a hell of a time getting funding, much less the position of authority to dictate design.

You make me like charity

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by kalinis

Maybe im just not a jerk. I don't understand why u hae to go to the other factions area. The only possible reason to do so is to gank newbs.

Or, maybe, I dont know...because they are using an IP for this MMO that is open world and an MMORPG can be made open world...so we see this as just being one in a long line of changes being made by developers that appear to be doing nothing more than making a sequal to an average game with OLD OUTDATE DESIGNS and needed a more popular IP to do it with?!?

Also, they changes that are meant of VASTLY limit the game in ways that do not need to be done.

Please, do extend your thoughts. What else do you believe they are limiting?

limted choices. With forced faction choices you now have limited race choice because you have to chose either the race in the faction you want, or the faction with the race you want...factions limited to faction areas leaves no choice to go anywhere in the world.

This alone makes it non-TES.

Then, there is the comment about how the level 1-50 is just to get you to GOOD part of the game BS that was stated, because just like DaoC, the only part of the game that mattered to the Devs was the RvR PvP zones. So, great...a TES game with gated content. Hey, you just created a new character, welcome to the level 1-10 zone, have fun until then, where you will be guiderailed to the level 10-20 zone never to look back at that zone you just left because its now pointless low level content.

Then there is this whole timeline/lore issue. They calim they can make it this way because its 2E, long before Morrowind and oblivion...but. They have stated that PLAYERS will be able to elect an emperor by taking over the PvP zones. Really? Because in 2E Skyrims first KING is living, the first person to unite the human clans...yet, if Humans take control they can elect a PLAYER emperor?!? Wut? Also, who the hell wants a TES pissing epeen contest where the most popular person, or just biggest guild leader becomes ruler? Cant wait to be led by Legolazzzz! Then there is also the fact that at this time period after the fall of several kingdoms, and invasions, the races are not just living in their "racial" homelands anymore.

Anyway, there are SOME of extended thoughts, I dont even want to get into how RvR restricted zones royally kill openness in a game and keeps players segregated.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Once in a while I hire an employee who ends up basically having his personality.  They come in think they can change the industry (I'm not in the game industry, but one similar), without understanding some of the more basic realities that we have to deal with.  Employees like that don't last long.

So unless he has a rich uncle to bankroll his little dream game, he's in for a hell of a time getting funding, much less the position of authority to dictate design.

Spoken like someone working in an industry that is running with outdated infrastructure and out of touch with its consumers and more than likely soon to be taken over, or run out of business by the movers and the shakers.

Companies with that mentality never grow nor can keep up with others. The very website you are posting on wouldnt be what it is if it wasnt for websites 10 years ago being moved by the wayside by someone making a website that broke the mold...and you NEVER break the mold with your train of thought, it requires a mind wanting to CHANGE the industry.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

First of all "good for you that you are going into something that really interests you".

Secondly, I think you might find that the reality is different from the fantasy. Unless you are funding the entire thing yourself you might find that you can't call all the shots.

Heck, let's look at Curt Schilling. All he really wanted to do was make his "great game". But in the end, no matter the money he had, he cound't make solid business decisions and everything went bust.

It takes more than knowledge or even money to make a game. Sometimes you have to compromise.

heck, some of the plays I directed, where one would think I would have the ultimate say, ended up being lessons in compromise.

You might find that good intentions and a strong vision aren't enough. Then again, more power to you if you can make it happen. image

Maybe this is the compromise where are trying to get them to realise? If they do acknowledge our petition it might be reason enough for them to make that modification, or atleast meet us half way?

Cheers to your thoughts though, helps to create a multi-perspective party.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Heck, let's look at Curt Schilling. All he really wanted to do was make his "great game". But in the end, no matter the money he had, he cound't make solid business decisions and everything went bust.

Maybe this is the compromise where are trying to get them to realise? If they do acknowledge our petition it might be reason enough for them to make that modification, or atleast meet us half way?

honestly, I'm all for a no boundaries eso. Just don't think they will do it as it wil fundamentaly change their game at this point.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

My opinion here.

TES fans are going to buy it regardless, so why "aim" to basically just make a multiplayer Skyrim?  The point of branching out into a new genre is to expand your audience, not canabalize your existing one.

Expand the audience... a majority of MMO players and TES fans ARE THE SAME PEOPLE (with the exception that not all TES players are MMO fans).  Which leads me to believe that it would've been better to aim the game towards TES fans.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Spoken like someone working in an industry that is running with outdated infrastructure and out of touch with its consumers and more than likely soon to be taken over, or run out of business by the movers and the shakers.

Companies with that mentality never grow nor can keep up with others. The very website you are posting on wouldnt be what it is if it wasnt for websites 10 years ago being moved by the wayside by someone making a website that broke the mold...and you NEVER break the mold with your train of thought, it requires a mind wanting to CHANGE the industry.

Being realistic and pragmatic isn't the same thing as being outdated and out of touch.

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Lets all be thankful it's one of the last mmorpgs with this type of gated/limited content. They gotta go a whole other direction if they wanna keep people playing their games.

Originally posted by Hycoo
    Lets all be thankful it's one of the last mmorpgs with this type of gated/limited content. They gotta go a whole other direction if they wanna keep people playing their games.

Indeed I am glad.  I hope after this game it will make other AAA developers stop and think - I just hate to see another great IP molested.

You know this could've been the game that took MMOs out of their box too.

Not at all.  My point is, there are right ways of making change, and wrong ways.

Trying to change something with no experience and no understanding of why things are the way they are (often for reasons outside of your control, like consumer demand or available funding), only makes those in charge less likely to give you the chance to manage a project down the road.  If he wants to bypass the whole process of earning his way up to a position of responsibility then he has to simply start his own studio, making him in charge by default.  That takes quite a bit of money, however, which is what I mentioned.

As for this website, it "is what is is" simply because of the domain name.  There is very little in the way of quality here.  There's no journalism, only regular "opinion" articles that read like the summary of an actual article.  The tech behind the website is completely dated (look at how vieweing pictures requires a complete page refresh, for example) as well.  This site, is populated for the same reasons WoW is populated, and it has very little to do with quality.

You make me like charity

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

You don't seem to understand how games are made. Do you think they have some magic switch they can just turn on open world PvP and exploration with a seamless world and they are just not doing to spite people?

• ThandrasThandras Member Posts: 41

Just trying to give some perspective to this "Go anywhere, join any faction" debate.

Let's use World War II for an example. I don't think you found many American, British or other citizens of the allied countries taking strolls in downtown Berlin or Tokyo. I don't think the Nazi party or the Empire of Japan would have just accepted any person from one of the Allied countries who said "Hey, I want to join". The same examples would work in the other direction as well.

So, if the lore behind the game is based on a War with certain Alliances battling other alliances then the segregation makes perferct sense. I have a hard time getting my head around why people want it to be just willy nilly, unless they are just griefers who want to go to low level zones to gank lowbies.

I guess it's easier for me to see what they are going for here because I was a long time DAOC player. It was really done well prior to TOA. The PVE zones gave opportunity for exploration and for those who wanted risk while leveling, the best exp came from mobs in the frontiers where it was open season. Greater risk equaled greater reward.

I'm hoping the game can recapture some of DAOC's magic for me. But like I've said before, nostalgia is hard to duplicate.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hycoo
    Lol it won't be the last.

Just 3 games off the top of my head that look to be way more "wow clone" than TESO - neverwinter, firefall and wildstar.

Expand the audience... a majority of MMO players and TES fans ARE THE SAME PEOPLE (with the exception that not all TES players are MMO fans).  Which leads me to believe that it would've been better to aim the game towards TES fans.

Doing it that way doesn't at all help the IP...

You want to offer two different genres for the sake of appealing to two different fan bases.  If they just release Skyrim with MMO middleware, what have they really done other than screw over future "offline" TES titles?  How much appeal would another Skyrim or Oblivion really hold if TESO was basically the same experience but with multiplayer?  They'd basically fracture the existing fan base into three sections without really growing any of them at all (PC gamers who enjoy playing offline TES with mods, PC gamers who enjoy playing TESO, and console gamers who only have the offline version with no mods).

They'd be funding development for two different games that essentially target the same audience.  There's a reason they created a whole new dev studio to handle this, and it wasn't just a random idea pulled out of a hat.

Anyway, that's not to say both games have to be totally different.  Just that there it makes much more sense to expand your audience than simply make your current audience even happier.

You make me like charity

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I said one of the last. All these games started being developed around the same time i guess.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    This game will run totally fine without the fanatic PvPers who want to run and gank explorers / RPers. 
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Faction Locking is Great!

you know what the means?  Reply ability..    DAOC had faction locking; all three realms had their own lore, classes, races, continents, architecture, and feel.

If you got bored, you just re rolled on a new realm and it was like a completely new game, Best idea ever.

I FULLY support faction locking.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Originally posted by WellzyC

Faction Locking is Great!

you know what the means?  Reply ability..    DAOC had faction locking; all three realms had their own lore, classes, races, continents, architecture, and feel.

If you got bored, you just re rolled on a new realm and it was like a completely new game, Best idea ever.

I FULLY support faction locking.

Seemless World is Great!

you know what that means?  Exploration.. WoW had seemless worlds; you could go anywhere, anytime no matter if it was enemy territories or not.

If you got bored, you just walked around to an enemy territory and it's a completely new game.  Best idea ever.

I fully support seemless worlds.