Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Die Noobs: A Documentary on eSports

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Zack David and Erik Cieslewicz are filming an interesting documentary... at least it will be interesting to many of us. "Die Noobs" is seeking to bring eSports into the eyes of everyone, even those who you'd least expect to take an interest. Read on for their thoughts on the growing sect of gaming, their love of all games, and their film's goals.

MMORPG: We are very excited about "Die Noobs." Can you give us some background on the film and why you chose this subject to cover? 

Erik:  It seems a perfect time to talk about the scene, it’s huge, but relatively unknown beyond its walls.  Some documentary subjects can be fads, the subject loses relevancy before the film can even be completed. eSports has history and staying power.  

Last year, I was looking for a new documentary project, since I got my start in journalism and haven’t been back in years. Without knowing that, Zack e-mailed me about wanting to do a pro-gaming documentary, since he was getting into the scene. It was providence. 

Read the rest of Garrett's interview with Zack and Erik.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Your hyperlink to the interview is broken. :(

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Should be fixed, thanks!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

MMORPG: Will you be featuring MMOs in the project? They’re part of the growing eSports scene, though obviously less than say League of Legends of Starcraft 2.

Say what?? MMOs never been a part of the growing eSport scene at all. Well, there was WoW at some point but it didn't last long and most people didn't really take it seriously. Care to explain to me how did you come to that conclusion?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

" It seems a perfect time to talk about the scene, it’s huge, but relatively unknown beyond its walls."

Stating that right after the big PS2 clash/showdown :)

Or if he ment unknown as in documentaries, there was Frag (at least 4-5 years ago, since FragDolls were mentioned in it), there was the King of Kong (just to show that competitve gaming and the basics of eSport already existed even in the arcades), there was a cool CS docu (sorry I don't remember the title) and don't even mention the truckload of eastern eSport movies... but mainly Frag, love that film. Esport documentary as a novelty... lol.

(might I add I left my CS years behind almost 10 years ago, someone who's into movies and still actively in the scene probably could recite more films on the subject)

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gcAM_TqKHI  it sure bring back nice memories ;)

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113

A world of warcraft docu about competitive raiding:

http://www.racetoworldfirst.com/

I look forward to this documentary as well.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The entire purpose of playing a game is to do so yourself.  Esports IMO is just dumb.  
  • gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    The entire purpose of playing a game is to do so yourself.  Esports IMO is just dumb.  

Same with every other professional sport....   Somehow people make money from entertainment, werid?

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Didn't Valve already do this...?
    Originally posted by gr0und3d
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Same with every other professional sport....   Somehow people make money from entertainment, werid?

I think Ozmodan is right, playing's main purpose is to have fun. And eSport (alongside with other professional sports) is indeed dumb for the 90% of the people - as a participiant of course, not a viewer or a fan.

I mean, in the early 2000's it was still only forming and wasn't a full-blown industry yet, like any other pro sport. True, CPL was up, there were tournaments and championships, Fatal1ty was already famous ( :) ), but even in this early stage it already lost the fun factor, all is left is hard work and then in the end  failure or success (and with it, profit).

Only a very few people can take this in the long run, just like pro athletes. You can ask a swimmer for example, is it fun to spend 4-6 hours in the pool every day for years? :) It's not fun but worths it in the long run, if he/she is dedicated enough.

Pro gaming is the same, let's take a guy who loves CS, playing it all the time with a good team casually. Tell the team that they must train for the next tournament, so from now on in the next 6 weeks they will play CS 10-12 hours a day, practising tactics, coming up new ideas and strategies, etc. In a few weeks, most of them will burn out (which can be a familiar topic here, in the home of "I've burned out from XXXX mmo" threads :) ).

I just want to say, eSport is now a business with sponsors, companies backing it up, etc. It's entertaining, got a lot of money in it. But it has nothing to do with "playing the game for fun and entertainment" anymore. So for the average gamer it is dumb to participate in eSport :)

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

As someone who's made the run through around ten years of online tournaments, I have to respectfully disagree with people who believe games should solely be centered around a mindless concept, something as simple as "play for fun". The truth is that, while it may seem a bit obsessive or over the top, competitive play is where the fun is for some people, and generally speaking, I'd count myself amongst them. I think the most important thing to remember is that enjoyment in gaming can be found in the most bizarre and unimagineable places, and is as complex as the people who play them. There's no right or wrong answer.

This was a good interview, for a project I've never heard of. Thanks for the heads up.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

As someone who's made the run through around ten years of online tournaments, I have to respectfully disagree with people who believe games should solely be centered around a mindless concept, something as simple as "play for fun".

No disagreement I think, since I wrote about only the majority of gamers, not the whole group. I too was at a few events myself, but I was already in the mid-20's when progaming started to get big, so by that time it was easier to admit I'm not dedicated enough for that :)

Gaming isn't differ from any other activities that turned into sport in this subject I guess. Just like swimming or golf, etc., the majority of people doing them for fun, for recreation. And of course there are those as well, who are doing it for the competitve factor, as an amateur or a professional athlete. Or if we want to skip the physical activity factor from the example, let's take chess. (I love board games :) ). Most people playing it for fun, and some playing it as a pro, competing on tournaments.

As you said there's no right or wrong answer, both parties having fun the way they like. But I still think that for eSport you not only need to be fond of the competitve way, you also need a lot of dedication. So for an average gamer to say 'I'll go for tournaments' is just as dumb as an average swimmer to say 'I'll go for the olympics' :) and to be honest, the majority is the average gamer.

Edit: sorry for the offtopic above, let's get back to the movie, I'll definitely watch it (I'm curious of the current state of progaming)