Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cycling Through MMOs

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

My days of playing MMOs have been slowly coming to an end. Nothing new interests me. And now I think I'm just going to stop buying new ones for good.

For a few months now, I've been playing older MMOs that I have already own. Been bouncing around the same 5 games this past year and it's been ok so far.

Has anyone else been cycling through old MMOs that they own?

Do you have any plans to spend $60 on a new one anytime soon or ever again?

Update : Clarification, it's not a money issue, it's a not worth my money issue. If someone can release a game that keeps my interest for at least 6+months, I'll be the first to say "Shut up and take my money!"

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Do not pre-order

Stick with your friends in a guild, in a MMO.

Play alternative online games that you like.

Keep an eye out for anything that might bereak the easymode MMO mould rut the industry is in.

---

That has been working fine for me for years now.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by NorseGod

For a few months now, I've been playing older MMOs that I have already own. Been bouncing around the same 5 games this past year and it's been ok so far.

I've been playing like this in the last 3-4 years :)

With countless other games I've tried or played for a few months, there are 3 games (now 4 with TSW) that I keep playing even during those detours. And yes, I'm cycling through them, so while I log into all of them in every couple of days, there's always one which I'm playing "massively" in a given timeframe (usually involving some anniversary or festival, or just levelling up a new alt).

Edit: for your question "Do you have any plans to spend $60 on a new one anytime soon or ever again?" - I don't think so. (and not because I'm cheapskate, and nope, TSW isn't my 4th because it went b2p :) ). Simply those games I'm looking forward in the "soon" future wil be f2p's...

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I think Scot has it right, stick with your friends and guildmates.

After all, MMO games are so appealing largely because of the social interaction. Unfortunately, most players you run into randomly aren't interested in chit-chatting, they're too busy racing through the content. Hey, I'm not knocking it, especially considering many of them are alts, but I'm not in a terrible hurry when I play these games.

Am I going to drop $60 bucks on an MMO in 2013?

• The Secret World: Maybe. I just found out that I have a good friend playing this game.  I'm really considering it, and the fact that it went B2P is just an added enticement.
    • Elder Scrolls Online: There is NO way that I can NOT spend whatever money needs to be spent to try this game. It's going to happen.
    • Pathfinder Online: I will be spending money on this game.  No question about that.
    • EverQuest Next: Maybe, I could be swayed either way on this depending on how it turns out and whether or not I am already engrossed in another game.
    • TITAN: Depending on what this turns out to be, I probably can't avoid at least trying it.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I haven't found a permanent MMO home since I quit DAOC almost 2 years ago. I've been doing the same "buy the latest thing, play for 2 months, quit" dance as many other players. There are a few MMOs on the horizon that might interest me enough to pay $60 if they are released under a B2P model. There's nothing coming out in the next few years that inspires me to pay $60 + a monthly sub -- at least not based on what I know about any of them at this point.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My game cycling is slower.  I've gotten to packing up games and storing them on a fileserver for later.

What's sad is that sometimes I'll unpack a game, spend an hour patching it, play it for maybe a half hour, then pack it up again.  Honestly it doesn't seem worth it.

I find that lately I spend more time playing Morrowind and Classic Unreal than anything else.  Those two don't get uninstalled on my PC or laptops.

Pay $60 for a new game?  Pfft.  I can't think of anything other than Repopulation and maybe Archeage that I've even considered playing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
      I abandoned the genre all together, started playing single player  games  again . I tried some of the F2P MMOs but nothing realy grabbed me. The next game I buy is not an MMO..Rome 2:total war, other than that I don't see anything worh my time or my money in any genre, least of all the MMO genre.
  • ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Seeing as WoW went in a diffeent direction than i liked i cannot go back to that. GW2 turned out to not have much of an end game feeling qand the story really ended up lacking to me. There just isn't a lot for me to try that I used to play so I stick to LoL when I get real bored.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Me too, I found the bast mmos are older ones. GW2 was the icing on the cake, there all crap with no community.  Now I'm playing Vanilla WoW and LOTRO.  I like them both :)
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

My days of playing MMOs have been slowly coming to an end. Nothing new interests me. And now I think I'm just going to stop buying new ones for good.

No plans to spend any money. Most MMOs are F2P anyway. There is no point in spending money. And i don't think i cycle through MMOs.

I play them from time to time, and go back when i feel like it. Most MMOs have so much content that i am no where close to exhausting, unless you play day and night on only one game (which i don't).

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I haven't found a permanent MMO home since I quit DAOC almost 2 years ago. I've been doing the same "buy the latest thing, play for 2 months, quit" dance as many other players. There are a few MMOs on the horizon that might interest me enough to pay $60 if they are released under a B2P model. There's nothing coming out in the next few years that inspires me to pay $60 + a monthly sub -- at least not based on what I know about any of them at this point.

Yeah, maybe that's my problem. I haven't found a new home. Can't say I haven't tried though. I'm sure you haven't either.

Your "buy the latest thing, play for 2 months, quit" quote is pretty much spot on with how I feel right now. It's not that I don't have the $60, but doing this process is really getting dumb. I feel like I'm throwing away money because of this.

I find that, the old the MMOs are, the better. The only setbacks are populations and graphics. Graphics are not really too important for me, but it is for some people and that alone, impacts population.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Stop soloing so much.

Really. People are much more interesting than the games are.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

No plans to spend any money. Most MMOs are F2P anyway. There is no point in spending money. And i don't think i cycle through MMOs.

I play them from time to time, and go back when i feel like it. Most MMOs have so much content that i am no where close to exhausting, unless you play day and night on only one game (which i don't).

I will not play F2P MMOs.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Stop soloing so much.

I agree. That's part of the reason why I like playing older games. Everyone needs a group.

I also find grinding mobs with a group is much easier than questing with one or two others and making sure everyone has x number of rats killed completed, etc. It's more fun to run around the zone with a gang and mowing down mobs and goofing off. To me, that is.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Stop soloing so much.

I agree. That's part of the reason why I like playing older games. Everyone needs a group.

I also find grinding mobs with a group is much easier than question with one or two others and making sure everyone has x number of rats killed completed, etc. It's more fun to run around the zone with a gang and mowing down mobs and goofing off. To me, that is.

I agree and don't agree. I was more social in Lineage 2 and mostly played that solo.

Having said that, I had way more fun in groups, as you say, pulling mobs, having those "oh sh*t" moments and just enjoying what happens while leveling and between leveling than gathering quests, running to the dot on the map, killing 5 things, running back and rinse and repeat.

One of the reasons why, in LOTRO, I would get two quests, go to the area with the orcs and just make an evening out of it after I killed 10 of them.

For me I'm just dabbling in mmo's. My guild in Tera died, my original guild in LOTRO died, the few friends I have made while in these games sort of dabble with me as well.

But nothing really of substance. Mostly playing single player games now.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Stop soloing so much.

Not really. I have "met" many more new games that are more fun than new people i met.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Oo nice thread. I agree with every post! (even the last one, above, sadly considering the current state of FTP games are likely full of IDBs.)

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

Update : Clarification, it's not a money issue, it's a not worth my money issue. If someone can release a game that keeps my interest for at least 6+months, I'll be the first to say "Shut up and take my money!"

Yep.  Been there done that and now play single player RPGs.  

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Stop soloing so much.

While this is true. Having everybody just get bored of the same game, at about the same time says a lot about the game.

PS. Rome2 looks awesome!

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Shmackpappy

Yep.  Been there done that and now play single player RPGs.  

This is what I have done as well, and this is also the future of my gaming.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    People are much more interesting than the games are.

No, I'm a dull and boring person.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Absence makes the heart grow fonderer.  Consider taking a break from the whole genre for a few months to get the burnout out of your system and, if the spirit moes you, come back with fresh eyes.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

What can I say? Being a lonely content locust is... a lonely, lonely business. :)

So, yeah, better to stay with friends, I guess. Good advice there.

It's just that when there's something new that's mildly interesting, my locust senses start tingling, and off I go!

After all, somebody should scout ahead for the friends, right? :)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Taking a break is a good idea, I had one for about three months only last year. Makes you much keener after you have missed it for a while.
  • GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

The problem with interacting with new people in MMO's these days are that im much older and more experienced than most people. And i dont have time to play as much as i used to because of RL, kids, work, wife etc, so i cant run a guild myself.

This means i have to find a guild run by likeminded experienced "old farts" to have fun. (this may seem harsh, but its the thruth) And nowadays its like looking for the needle in the haystack.

What to do?...honestly i dont know. I think ive retired from MMORPG gaming without even knowing it ^^