Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Beta Weekends and Founders' Packs Detailed

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Not gonna lie... tempted to shell $200 for the Drizzt-alike. :P 

Edit: At least in this case, you're not paying a "Life Sub", just for a lot of perks. The above tongue-emote implies sarcasm by the way. 

Just hold off and you can get a Drizzt-like for much less.  Look what Cryptic did with STO, a little while after launch and all lifetime perks were purchasable.  I myself will not be spending anything on the game until a few months after launch so I can get everything half-off and have a chance to see what players are saying about it. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by LinaInversa
    I remember when this game was going to be single player, they decided to convert it to an mmo and now they want $200!? ... yea, I dont think so.

I don't think you remember accurately. It was never touted to be or advertised to be a "single player game". It was developed initially as a co-op rpg, or a"Online Multiplayer Game", as Jack Emmert described it as a OMG. Neverwinter was driven into another direction from online co-op rpg to F2p MMO when Perfect World bought Cryptic from Atari. That's pretty much the story when I cared enough to follow the game.

Article with Emmert on Neverwinter

Article with IGN about the switch

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75

Main reason I got turned off by Path of Exile its has same prices but even more I think their highest pack was 2k or 5k I forget I'm talking about k of $$$$.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Try before Buy > Buy before Try. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    After shelling out money for founders on hellgate london, champions online, and the secret world... I've learned to bite my tongue and just wait.  It's too risky investing in a game you've never played, although the mount and companion looks nice :-/

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I am going to wait until it comes out, or until I get access to the beta to see if I am going to spend any money at all.  The foundry is probably either going to make or break this game for me.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    I would gladly pay $549.....if they allowed me to port over my Vulcan Vice Admiral and BOFF crew.  That would be pretty neat.
  • LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135
    I love how all these new games quickly put out these lifetime subs. It's such a obvious marketing ploy to try to hook people for a large sum of money when they barely know the game and may or may not get bored of the game or dislike it in a month.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

The new marketing scam..................$200.00 for a pack with a made up value of $549.00.  Do companies actually believe the product they put out is worth $549.00?

Think of what $549.00 can buy you and your getting a game?  Sad as this is on my watch list.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Well there goes what could have been a great game. Dang this is dissapointing already.
  • barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

Way to expensive for founders packs... what is this new BS where companies make us pay to supposedly beta test?

You're really just paying for early access, guaranteed beta time, and a few perks.  If you can wait, might as well!  It'll be F2P after all.

I can understand a 60$ founder pack. It's kind of like buying a ps3 game or buying the client if you will but 200$ is just retarded

The $200 pack is obviously not meant for everyone, which is why there are three tiers to the program. I'm not sure why people react this way every time a new game announces a pack like this. Think back to any MMO you've ever played, didn't you know that 'one guy' who always played? Even when you took a break for six months and came back? He'd still be there happily playing like it was the first month of launch.

That's the player who will be interested in the top-tier pack. It's not like PWE (or any other game offering this sort of thing) is only offering a single high priced tier.  No one's forcing you to buy the thing. The fact of the matter is that game development costs real money and being able to guarantee some sort of upfront revenue is pretty attractive, especially when you're giving away the game for free. I think offering excited and dedicated fans some additional value in exchange for an upfront cost can be a real win-win for both parties involved when done well.

Have at it if you want to criticize the actual content:value ratio of this particular pack (or any other), but I think the kneejerk scoffing at the price of these high-tier packs and $150 Collector Editions is honestly a bit silly.

Hey anyone that wants to buy it...more power to them.  I wouldn't call it a "knee jerk" reaction though.  A lot of people are speaking from experience on the wisdom of purchasing these really expensive sets for something that they have not even played.  At least the expensive TOR box came with, well a neat box and a statue and stuff.  Two of the features are for beta test perks, which is ridiculous.

My issue is not the price, but the lack of value.  $200 for beta test perkes, and a race and mount that will show up as a cash shop purchase in some variation seems foolish.  Don't believe me?  Check out STO's shop.  The fact that this is all pre launch and pre beta hype is also ridiculous.

People wonder why the MMO market has gone stale.  Maybe this cycle of crazy hype coupled with expensive editions that a false sense of urgency is created to get people to buy them has something to do with the sagging subscription numbers, massive company layoffs and 3 month after launch server merges that follow?

Nah that can't be it.  $200 edition is the bee's knees folks!  ONLY chance EVER to be a DROW!  Beta weekends are AWESOME!!!

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148
    You players wanted more "Free 2 Play"! Here it is! IT only costs $20-$200 bux! PLUS all the exclusives like hotbars and inventory space they will sell you AFTER release!
    Originally posted by FoeHammerJT
    You players wanted more "Free 2 Play"! Here it is! IT only costs $20-$200 bux! PLUS all the exclusives like hotbars and inventory space they will sell you AFTER release!

Actually I'm a subscription guy.

• vierklauwvierklauw Member UncommonPosts: 27
    another "pay to win" game to black list , why just make this game with sub fee...
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'm always willing to pay 60 bucks for a digital deluxe but I will NEVER pay 200 bucks for a digital collector's edition without any physical items. Physical Collector's edition with physical items for 200 bucks? Depends on the items included. Digital collector's edition with only digital items for 200 bucks? Yeah...you're crazy.

And that's the problem with these developers now. They want more money with less effort. Now if that digital collector's edition was say....80 bucks. I'd start to forget about physical items and be more interested in the digital perks. And I'd consider buying it. But slapping 200 bucks on it and offering it in unlimited quantities is a bit absurd. Like charging 10 bucks for a collector's edition comic, then turning around and start offering digital collector's editions comics for 30 bucks. It should be the other way around. Charge more for a physical copy, not a digital one.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Actually I'm a subscription guy.

Then you; like me, are clearly excluded from my statement image.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus
    They previously said that lifetime subscribers to STO and Champs would get beta access. I want to know when that will happen.

In the same queue with us that bought Torchlight II and were promised the same :-(

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Faith must be steamrolling you.  I'll pull a line from the P2P parrots - "If you can't afford it, then don't play it."

You don't have to buy anything.  I don't see value in the $200 pack either so I'm not going to buy it.  See how that works and I didn't even have to make up a bunch of derp and try to pass it off as insightful.

I think ESO is offering a great illustration of why companies are going to F2P = They make more money.

Thats right. "Free to Play" games are making companies more money. They figured out what the American Federal Government did in the early 20th Century. That if you take money from people in smaller, more gradual amounts, they thank you for it.

Instead of a single income tax at the end of the year where you write a big check. They are kind enough to take a couple hundred each and every week and hold it for you. Isnt that nice?

Game companies have caught on, and realized that players are willing to pay 2-5 bux for almost anything, and they will give that to you often. In many cases more than once in a day. The players dont stop to add up how much they've spent over 2-3 months or they would be appalled. Instead they ask for more "Premium stuff to buy", you know the stuf that companies used ot include at a single price?

Anyone that has "Faith" that their favorite F2P company is providing them with a superior product at a reduced priced should call me. I've got a great paradise island to sell them, just a few miles east of Tuscon.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Benbrada
    They previously said that lifetime subscribers to STO and Champs would get beta access. I want to know when that will happen.

In the same queue with us that bought Torchlight II and were promised the same :-(

i'm still waiting on my beta key from pre-ordering TL2 off the perfectworld website.. on ticket #4... well see how this one goes..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    I am trying to pre-order the Hero of the North Founder’s Pack but can't seem to find it. Anyone know when it's going to be up for pre-ordering?

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Faith must be steamrolling you.  I'll pull a line from the P2P parrots - "If you can't afford it, then don't play it."

You don't have to buy anything.  I don't see value in the $200 pack either so I'm not going to buy it.  See how that works and I didn't even have to make up a bunch of derp and try to pass it off as insightful.

As Tor knows I am very pro sub and anti cash shop, but I agree with him here. There is nothing up front here that I would feel obliged to pay for, even if I wanted to play this title.  There dosen't seem to be anything being offered that would hinder you just DLing the client at launch and playing.

Cash shops are built around the 'a fool and his money are soon parted' impulse purchase thing to survive though, so I guess they better hope some at least go for it...

What I will say though is, from the 'real' values of the offered perks (as stated by the devs), that the cash shop in this game seems very much on the expensive side... but thats for the people to play it to worry about I guess. I loathe PW and so won't be having anything to do with this.

Originally posted by vierklauw
    another "pay to win" game to black list , why just make this game with sub fee...

Nah, it's just crack pipe absurd to place a value on intantgable digital items that can be duplicated at will and priority Beta access.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

See the $200 tier as a pledge by a somewhat wealthy fan to help the developers pay their bills, and make the game better for everyone by continued development.

The person who pays the $200 choose to do so because he is somewhat wealthy and in this harsh economy (see THQ) we need people like him.

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Benbrada

i'm still waiting on my beta key from pre-ordering TL2 off the perfectworld website.. on ticket #4... well see how this one goes..

Ouch... I recieved that a long time ago and have registered it.

Originally posted by Searias
    I am trying to pre-order the Hero of the North Founder’s Pack but can't seem to find it. Anyone know when it's going to be up for pre-ordering?

Original article says:

"Players will be able to purchase Founder's Packs on the official Neverwinter web page starting tomorrow." i.e. 1/29/2013