Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Elder Scrolls Online: Paul Sage Talks Beta, Crafting, and Progression

12346»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    Originally posted by erikk3189

Everyone is going all ga-ga over this game and it looks just liike another wow clone. Besides, history has shown us that MMO's never have been as good as the console games of the same series.

This will most likely be another failure. But then this is what the gaming world has been for the last 5-7 years.

No surprise here.

TES series are not console games...

Well, apparently some of them are as the console versions sold more than the pc versions of obvion and skyrim. This is why whatshisface said that the pc sales are just a fraction of their total sales. This is sad but true.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Davis
    There's no Esports bullshit in TESO. The pvp is rvr only.

I do however share your concerns on phased epic personal story, they over do that you end up with swtor.
  • Venomizer2Venomizer2 Member Posts: 11

Im a little surprised to hear ppl say it wont be like Elder Scrolls made into an MMO.

In elder scrolls standalone games the world is static and waits for you to level up and get tough. You are the only player character. You are the center of the known universe. Your player doesnt have to be balanced against other players.

Making it multiplayer instantly changes the game design in many ways.

Are ppl saying the race/class/skill system is different? Or how some game mechanic functions?

How is this game NOT elder scrolls made into an mmo?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Venomizer2

Im a little surprised to hear ppl say it wont be like Elder Scrolls made into an MMO.

In elder scrolls standalone games the world is static and waits for you to level up and get tough. You are the only player character. You are the center of the known universe. Your player doesnt have to be balanced against other players.

Making it multiplayer instantly changes the game design in many ways.

Are ppl saying the race/class/skill system is different? Or how some game mechanic functions?

How is this game NOT elder scrolls made into an mmo?

I'll address your points:

1. The world is not static in TES games. Things change as you progress through the storyline. Relationships also change with certain NPC's based on your actions. You can also advance to the head of various guilds. From what we know about ESO, things won't be so different. Zenimax plans to use phasing to change things as you progress through the story if what a particular alpha tester says is true. No idea if relationships will change with NPC's based on your actions, since other players will also interact with them. I don't have a problem with that, since I can understand. Becoming the head of various guilds (fighters and mages guilds etc) can't be possible, since there are other players, I understand this too.

2. Making TES multiplayer doesn't have to change much of anything. Surely you can't permanently kill important NPC's or take over towns, since that'd effect other players. You can't move objects or steal objects in plain view either, since that'd probably require too much on the tech side of things to allow each item its own phase, or maybe it is possible. You can't allow players to steal or kill each other either, since that's enforcing your fun at the expense of others. However, there's no reason why everything else can't be the same.

3. Balance shouldn't be an issue. It's an RPG, and certain spells and abilities are stronger than others. Balance isn't believable nor is it fun. I don't believe classes or skills should be balanced in any MMO. Instead, you should need other players to cover your weaknesses like the pre-WoW MMORPG days. 

4. TES does not use classes, period. There's no reason why ESO should need them. That's a direct slap in the face of all TES fans that partially define TES games as a no classes type of RPG.

5. Three other things come to mind when I say ESO is not an Elder Scrolls MMORPG. 

a. Races divided amongst 3 factions. It was a move made by Zenimax to force TES into DAoC's RvR framework. There was no pre-existing lore to support this ongoing war between three racially locked factions where pawnzornoob was emperor 1 week, and then lolegalos was the emperor the next and so on. Zenimax made the design decision to copy DAoC's framework and think all the TES fans would swallow the new lore they wrote to cover their decision.

b. Soft-lock tab targeting. Instead of a true twitch system, which every TES game uses, they use a soft-lock so even if your cursor is hovering on a nearby target, your attacks still hit the target you locked on to.

c. They changed the look of all the elven races to make them prettier for the masses. I admit I never play elves often in TES games because they're butass ugly, but at least Bethesda had the balls to break the pretty elf norm. Things should stay the way they are in that department.

That's the way I see things. Plenty of fans on this board disagree with me and that's fine, it's their right, but nothing anyone says will change my viewpoint on this. Zenimax f'd up and I'm not pleased with them.