Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Action MMO please!

MatimusmaximusMatimusmaximus Member UncommonPosts: 26

I would be far more excited about Archeage then I have ever been for any game ever, if only they were making it an action mmo. Frankly I like dodging and being a better player because I'm more skilled. Not because I googled the correct combo of abilities. It pulls me right out of the game.  That being said, I am incredibly stoked to build and defend my own castle!

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    No point worrying about it, game is completed, it is what it is, if you don't like the combat it won't change.
  • KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Matimusmaximus

I would be far more excited about Archeage then I have ever been for any game ever, if only they were making it an action mmo. Frankly I like dodging and being a better player because I'm more skilled. Not because I googled the correct combo of abilities. It pulls me right out of the game.  That being said, I am incredibly stoked to build and defend my own castle!

First! post

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I feel the same mate.

So close to everythign I'm looking for in an MMORPG, but sadly one of the primary features is just not what I'm looking for. Seeing as combat is what you do in these games so much of the time, I know sadly I won't enjoy much of it.

Still, I hope it does well for everyone that this game is perfect for.  I know many have been waiting for a great sandbox game.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

No thanks! I enjoy action MMOs so don't get me wrong. But that style should complement the game. Saying Archage should have action combat is like doing this:

I like the rims....

I like the car....

But come on.....do we really need to go there?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Wait for Black Desert and hope it will be worth it. ArcheAge is done and it is NOT action combat. /thread
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by wizyy
    Wait for Black Desert and hope it will be worth it. ArcheAge is done and it is NOT action combat. /thread

Black Desert does indeed seem very impressive. But I'm not sure if it'll have as many of the sandbox features that ArcheAge does.  Here's hoping.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    i am pretty happy it's Classic mmo combat, there's enough action games honestly.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm with Punk, there are more than enough action combat games already out and coming down the pike.  You action junkies are getting way too greedy, wishing and even demanding that every game switch to twitch combat.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I used to feel kinda bad for FPS/"action" MMO players.  I don't feel so bad anymore with the upcoming action type games (PS2, Defiance, Firefall).  I prefer a hybrid type of combat like gw2/TSW.  I do think it will take some significant adjustment to not be able to dodge.  Stand and take it I guess haha.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

if by action you mean TERA, Raiderz, Vindictus, no thanks, I am just to old to enjoy that stuff

if by action you mean GW2, TSW, then ok I can handle that.

but I dont want to be limited by 7 skills like the above mentioned, I am good at knowing my keyboard, I like having 20 keys at my disposal

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

if by action you mean TERA, Raiderz, Vindictus, no thanks, I am just to old to enjoy that stuff

but I dont want to be limited by 7 skills like the above mentioned, I am good at knowing my keyboard, I like having 20 keys at my disposal

But if there is only 7 useful skills in total then 20 is a waste.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I didn't really even plan on touching archeage anyways. Black Desert looks more like what im into anyways.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

But if there is only 7 useful skills in total then 20 is a waste.

yah gw2 barely had 7 skills worth using

TSW I could have easily filled a 20 slot bar

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Just wait for Black Desert then.

Looks a whole lot more sandbox than AA and with action combat.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Kilmaul

First! post

"First!"... Fail lol

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Eh - I like the action combat from my Darkfall days BUT it is not the end all be all.  I will glady go back to tab target as long as the game has depth and is just pure fun to play.  Archeage end game sounds fun with plenty of fluff/exploring or do what you want to along with building and defending castles....

Sounds like to me there is something for everyone and not just a very shallow MMO - sign me up for that tab target or not.....

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by Kilmaul

First! post

Fail post of the day. Thanks for the chuckle.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Im just happy there finally comming ove to the US! Woot.

The combat system looks good to me tho. I liked TERA, and GW2, but I think old school is nice also.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Just wait for Black Desert then.

Looks a whole lot more sandbox than AA and with action combat.

From what is known so far Black Desert looks less sandbox than AA.  BD could definitely be classed in the same category as AA though in that it's a hybrid of the two but from what we know about the game so far (speaking only for the elements that could be specifically agrued sandbox/themepark):

• Has specific classes.  Doubt you can mix and match between them like in AA.
    • Though it has what should be a very robust housing feature, housing is limited to cities/towns and there is a limited number.  You can only setup tents in the open world.
    • Has a parkour system that could very well lead to sandboxish exploration.
    • Has a seamless world.
    I'd argue out of all of these minus the parkour system (though AA has a lot of freedom in exploration and modes of transportation such as hang gliding and rowboating) AA pretty much trumps or equals BD in it's sandbox features.

Me personally, I'm with the OP that I'm more excited about BD because of it's action oriented combat, but I do think AA seems to have a bit more sandbox features at the moment.  Could change though as we know far less about BD than AA right now.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

You have to realize not every gamer likes action combat, such as myself.   Its fine as a mechanic (I play GW2) but its twitchy focus takes away from the slower more involved playstyle of a Role Playing Game.  RPGs are not about fast combat.  Its about asset management and strategy.

There will be other games that will suit your action needs but I doubt they will be as deep at ArcheAge.  I havent seen a truly deep action RPG.  And I like depth.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

You have to realize not every gamer likes action combat, such as myself.   Its fine as a mechanic (I play GW2) but its twitchy focus takes away from the slower more involved playstyle of a Role Playing Game.  RPGs are not about fast combat.  Its about asset management and strategy.

There will be other games that will suit your action needs but I doubt they will be as deep at ArcheAge.  I havent seen a truly deep action RPG.  And I like depth.

One of the advantages a PC has over a game console is the keyboard. By going down the "action combat" route you are throwing out that advantage.  A keyboard has 132 keys, more if it is a gaming keyboard, limiting players to a choice of 4-10 "actions" is just plain silly.

In addition you are bringing "zero lag" high twitch console style play to a genre that has always catered for people with latencies of up to 400ms and slower reflexes than the average teenage console player.

It may be attractive to 15 to 25 year old former console players (or current console players) but for those of us that have no desire to own or play a console it is just plain wrong.

• n00854180tn00854180t Member Posts: 16

Same here, it's incredibly disappointing that they didn't go that extra mile to make the game amazing. The MMO industry doesn't need any more games where the primary gameplay is "mash number row like seizurific monkey".

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by n00854180t

Same here, it's incredibly disappointing that they didn't go that extra mile to make the game amazing. The MMO industry doesn't need any more games where the primary gameplay is "mash number row like seizurific monkey".

As distinct from mash mouse buttons and dance it around like someone having some kind of seizure?

I mean really?  You think that the frequency of "actions" is going to be less than the frequency of "abillities" in the current system?

What you are asking for in and "action MMO" is higher rates of "actions" with more twitch not less.  So in fact it is much more like a "seizurific monkey"  than the conventional system.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by n00854180t

ArcheAge is an MMO*RPG* ... notice the RPG part.  It doesn't have nor does it need action combat.   Again, there will be plenty of other games you can play then trying to fit this one into your playstyle.  Its a lost cause.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

I think you need to play some more mmo's if you think non action games are just a spell rotation.  Matter of fact the only mmo's I've played where your comment applies is WoW-style mmos.  You'd have been /backlisted in FFXI if you asked that in chat haha