Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs comparable to DarkFall's full-loot PvP rule-set

xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Since DarkFall: Unholy Wars is still in Beta (and under NDA) with no expectation of a release anytime soon... I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of MMOs that have a similar  PvP rule-set.

I will edit the list to add (or subtract) MMOs that have a compelling argument on why they should be added or subtracted.

The only caveat is that they need to be released, or at least in some form of playable Beta to be considered.  

***  Looting rule-set definition: When a player dies from PvP combat, the winning player has the ability to loot items from the losing player; including items they have equipped.   ***

(The part where some part ways with the definition above and the title of this thread is the exact amount of  items that can be looted.  For me, that is where the word "comparable" comes in.  I am fine with some items being destoyed, or even an item or two being "blessed"; and unable to be looted.  It isn't an exact semantics debate for me... it's the spirit of the MMO).

Released   :   Date Released

Ultima Online  :  1997

EvE Online  : 2003

Mortal Online  :  2010

Perpetuum   :  2010

Beta  :  Target Release Date

DarkFall: Unholy Wars  :  2013 (no official release date)

Let me know what I am missing and why it should be added or removed.  Let's try to keep it civil as well. image

* Removed Age of Wushu since it does not use a similar looting rule-set.

** Removed ArcheAge unless it can be confirmed that it has some form of full-loot.

Comments

• skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    Add lineage 2 to released. Archeage to unreleased.
  • SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

Add Wurm online to Terrible Sandbox ahaha

and Add Darkfall Onlines to games shut down, RIP DFO.

and if youd like i guess you could put Minecraft somewhere in there.

But really not to many games like Darkfall, Mortal online or Eve, they are just way to indy and not to many companies try to take such risks of making such daring and relentless games, hence why there are so few. Currently Eve stands at the most refined sandbox relentless game also, to bad its more of a interface game then a twitch based game, but prefrence does matter, some do want to play a more statagy based pvp game.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by skorner64
    Add lineage 2 to released. Archeage to unreleased.

Archeage released earlier this month.

• WarinQuinnWarinQuinn Member Posts: 7

Age of Wushu has no pvp loot, little incentive to pvp, and is very theme parky.

I'd mention shadowbane but it's closed.

Lineage 2 also no pvp loot just random if you happened to be red at the time ;P

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by WarinQuinn

Age of Wushu has no pvp loot, little incentive to pvp, and is very theme parky.

I'd mention shadowbane but it's closed.

Lineage 2 also no pvp loot just random if you happened to be red at the time ;P

Can someone else confirm deny this about these 2 MMOs?  I was going to add Lineage 2, but after reading up on it again; I decided it wasn't quite in the same rule-set as DarkFall.

I haven't spent much time with Age of Wushu, so I'd like to hear from at least one other source if it should be removed.  Reading up on it from these forums here, and on it's web site it seems like it is comparible.

Thanks.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    confirm Age of Wushu. No full loot, ffa pvp all over the place with astrong player driven punishment system, and reward. AOW is no less of sandbox tham eve. Total freedom. Check out the aow forums here for more info.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

FFA PVP, full loot and an MMO?

WarZ and Planetside (1) might fit that category.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

EVE Online.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Zinzan

WarZ and Planetside (1) might fit that category.

What are some other opinions on the 2 mentioned above.  At first glance, I wasn't really thinking of those 2 qualifying... but I'd like to hear some opinions either way.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Why do you need full loot to enjoy a game? Just curios, I enjoy full loot games myself but to me it's more important that a game is well designed, working, and fully fleshed out feature-wise.
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Why do you need full loot to enjoy a game? Just curios, I enjoy full loot games myself but to me it's more important that a game is well designed, working, and fully fleshed out feature-wise.

Oh, I agree fully with you.  

It has just come up again and again by ardent DarkFall supporters that DarkFall is the only full loot PvP MMO available.  So, I thought it would be interesting to try and come up with a consensus list to see how accurate that statement is. 

There are not a lot of games that do fall into the full loot category... so it is definitely a smaller sub-set of the larger MMO genre.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Yeah it's definately a small sub-genre. To me the only current full loot game worthy of serious attention is EVE, but that's not only because it's full loot but because it's such a good game in several other ways. I know many people don't like the whole spaceship thing and that playing a humanoid avatar is usually more fun, but does that mean we should accept broken games made by clown companies just because they feature full loot?

Sometimes I think the DF fans are junkies; they stick to DF because it's "the only full loot fantasy game" (which is not), not because it's a good game.
  • 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

You should really change the title to something like "full loot" mmos because there really is no comparible mmo to darkfall when talking about pvp.  That is why people liked it so much it was a unique fps mmo experience.

Also,  Archeage must be removed from that list, tab target pvp is not comparable to darkfall's aim based pvp at all on any level.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

There is no consequenses if you die in a non-loot games, it`s like playing poker with fake money.

Totally boring.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by 123443211234

You should really change the title to something like "full loot" mmos because there really is no comparible mmo to darkfall when talking about pvp.  That is why people liked it so much it was a unique fps mmo experience.

Also,  Archeage must be removed from that list, tab target pvp is not comparable to darkfall's aim based pvp at all on any level.

UO was tabtarget and took alot more skill to master then Darkfall. Full loot is the issue here. Without full loot there is nothing at risk.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Aragon100

There is no consequenses if you die in a non-loot games, it`s like playing poker with fake money.

Totally boring.

Agreed thats a good analogy. No full loot  takes any adrenaline or emotions I have for a game and shits on it. 

Not many people think like us though which leads me to believe I have a pre-existing condition (addictive personality?) that forces me to play full loot games or lose interest.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

It's just like the difference between early UO and current UO.

In early UO players could lose everything they had on them. It created villians, heroes, drama and stories worth telling.

Once designers decided that players shouldn't lose anything, no matter how stupid they play - there is no real danger, or reason to be careful or pay attention. And all the stories are the same - I died, and returned to the same place to try once again. Nothing worth remembering ever happens.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

im sorry but this thread is useless..

there is no such game compared to darkfall pvp..

How on earth are people responding with tab target games??!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Have you considered DAOC (Dark Age of Camelot) ?

free 14 day trial will let you know if it's a keeper.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic
    Originally posted by Aragon100

Totally boring.

Agreed thats a good analogy. No full loot  takes any adrenaline or emotions I have for a game and shits on it. 

Not many people think like us though which leads me to believe I have a pre-existing condition (addictive personality?) that forces me to play full loot games or lose interest.

You are probably correct on the addivtive personality thing.  It's basically like a gambling addiction.  Something has to be on the line to make it feel like there's risk.

I wouldn't say that's a good thing... but it's probably accurate.  People like that usually don't play video games though.  At best, they go out and climb mountains, wrestle bears, and generally die young.  At worst, they lose everything in Vegas and spend their lives chasing the thrill of the win, end up addicted to some drug, or both.

Some games tap into it without using combat as well.  Look at SWtOR and their loot boxes.  Those things wouldn't be nearly as satisfying to open if they were free.  Magic the Gathering as well.  I remember how it was never really that fun helping friends open their packs (we'd buy in boxes) because they weren't really mine and I had nothing invested.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by 123443211234

There are a number that disagree on the point with Archeage, so I will leave it up.  EvE is also a "tab-target" style pvp.  

To me the "target-lock" vs. "free-style" is more a FPS argument.  

Originally posted by Snoepie

im sorry but this thread is useless..

there is no such game compared to darkfall pvp..

How on earth are people responding with tab target games??!

I could be wrong... but I don't believe there is anything stopping you from creating a thread with whatever criteria you want.  Who knows, if you word it correctly I may even pop in and post something snarky in it.  image

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

The difference is, when i kill you, i don't want you to feel happy about it. I want you to be mad while i take everything from you. With that hanger, you do what ever you want. You can either rage quit, you can join a large clan so you will never die again or you can simply decide to get better to prevent this event from happening again.

Also, there's no other way to find pvp while standing still; you must go look for it. You can't just Q up for a Battle Ground just to find pvp with absulutely no effort from yourself.

I tried playing theme parks mmo's and wow is where i started mind you. From level 1 to cap, open world pvp is quite alive and fun, but you only kill to secure your mob spawn. Once your quest is done, you just move on to the next spawn. When end game comes, you got ppl spawning flying mounts just to skip the whole open world pvp. What the fuck!? So now, you're left to play in pvp area's, bg's or arena's. I rather play Battlefield 3 or a sport game instead. Also, open world pvp in most mmorpg's are meaningless since you're not getting enough and thats what really kills the shit.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Shadowbane.... unfortunately RIP

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

erm lineage2?

eve and perp are full loot, but very different combat.