Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PoE the best ARPG, not a MMO.

Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

PoE is not a MMO! In no way shape or form! A MMO is a game where u can play with thousands and thousands of ppl at once. PoE does not have this! Towns do not count they are considered lobby's and by that extent any game with a online lobby shud be considered a MMO, such as Warcraft 3, SC2, SMITE or CoD....

GET THIS IN YOUR THICK SKULLS PPL! Im sick of hearing every day for almost every Hr that this game is a MMO or it isn't a MMO in General. Groupe consist of 6 PPL MAX! MAX! that barly makes it a online game for Christ sakes!

PoE IS NOT A MMO!

Definition of a mmo taken off of wiki:

1. (video games) A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world.
2. (colloquial) A massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Genre outrage. The lowest of all the outrages.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Pretty sure no one is calling this a MMO. It's obviously not one. But this site needs all the hits it can muster so they added any game that has more than just yourself in it.

Be calm, no one thinks this is a MMO.image

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I'm not so sure it can claim the best arpg title just yet either...
  • Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Dantae87

PoE is not a MMO! In no way shape or form! A MMO is a game where u can play with thousands and thousands of ppl at once. PoE does not have this! Towns do not count they are considered lobby's and by that extent any game with a online lobby shud be considered a MMO, such as Warcraft 3, SC2, SMITE or CoD....

GET THIS IN YOUR THICK SKULLS PPL! Im sick of hearing every day for almost every Hr that this game is a MMO or it isn't a MMO in General. Groupe consist of 6 PPL MAX! MAX! that barly makes it a online game for Christ sakes!

PoE IS NOT A MMO!

1. (video games) A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world.

I didn't really think PoE was a MMO, but after reading the definition, I now have a feeling that it is a MMO.

I do love how you throw out the bit about groups being limited to 6 as a reason it's not massive. No where does MMO reflect the number of people in a group, it says simultaneously interacting in a persistent world.

The world is persistent - Check.

Large number of players interacting simulatneously - Check.

No where does it state that this "large" number of players must be intereacting while in the same group, it simply says that they are interacting in some way in the same world. If 2000 people are playing, 1000 of them are participating in groups, 500 are trading in the city hub and 500 are solo'ing . . . then it's a MMO by the definition.

And "large" seems very arbitrary. What is large? 6 players is small to you, is 20 large enough to be large? 40? 500? 10,000? Or does large only begin to occur when your PC can no longer render all the objects without crashing? Maybe server side?

• hraethhraeth Member UncommonPosts: 34

How many players do I need to be able to interact with simultaneously for a game to be an MMO?  In WoW I most commonly interacted with 5 in instance runs.  Once in a while I even interacted with 25.  25 is hardly a "massive number". 

Now when you're talking about ability to interact I assume you are NOT simply talking about being in the same zone together because in that case Orgrimmar and Dalaran were nothing more than lobbies just like the towns in path of exile.  I suppose if you're talking open world pvp then we've finally reached a level of potentially "massive" interaction that PoE lacks.

If interaction is defined by a persons ability to chat and trade however then we certianly have massive (if somewhat troll-y) interaction on PoE.

Definitions evolve as genres evolve.  I can interact through chat and through grouping with a massive number (M) of other players (M), the game is online (O), and the game is an ARPG.  M... M... O... ARPG.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Well I never really gave a damn what PoE was classified as until now. Since you feel the need to make your point in a somewhat abusive manner, from now on I will think of PoE as nothing else except an MMO.

I say we start a campaign to get PoE voted as an official MMO on these forums. Who's with me?

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

Well I never really gave a damn what PoE was classified as until now. Since you feel the need to make your point in a somewhat abusive manner, from now on I will think of PoE as nothing else except an MMO.

I say we start a campaign to get PoE voted as an official MMO on these forums. Who's with me?

woudnt shock me D3 is on here....might as well add CoD, BF3 and SC2 to the list

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

those games arent about persistent chars.

D3, POE are both MMO's to me, dont really care what others say

hell I have had more interaction with the "world" of POE then I did in the last 2 years I played WOW

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

those games arent about persistent chars.

D3, POE are both MMO's to me, dont really care what others say

hell I have had more interaction with the "world" of POE then I did in the last 2 years I played WOW

CoD and BF3 have persistent characters...and they both interact with more people at a time than PoE and D3

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I think its a dangerous classification. Only because it makes it harder to tell what type of game we are looking at. I see "Action MMORPG" advertised and think oh that sounds interesting. Only to find out its an ARPG with static characters no customization and heavy heavy instancing outside of towns.

If PoE is an MMO it has the worst character customization ever.

Every Templar looks exactly the same! Can't even pick gender...

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

I've played both PoE and Diablo 3 to the end and I have to say PoE is overhyped to the extreme. There is more longevity to it and you feel like theres a point to your efforts but i find the game lacking something important. Fun.

Too many of the skills suck to both use and look at. If you watch alot of streamers you end up using maybe 3 or 4 abilities at most, mostly just spamming 1 or 2. They need to upgrade alot of the skills both mechanically and visually or the game gets boring very quick. That said it's still beta and the game has great potential, but then again so did D3.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

PoE IS NOT A MMO!

Sorry, you probably weren't around when Diablo was released.  It was considered an MMO back when it first came out and the only other games out were UO and Meridian and NWN.

As PoE is literally a next gen Diablo type game, it too is an MMO.

Its nice that you think you are some how the definition police :-)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Except they are not... RPGs!

Heh....

I wonder if the OP actually reads what they say....

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50
    One of the best FTP massive multiplayer online game out there. :P
  • FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Oh I don't know. I'd rather come to one site for info and discussions on all  the games I play instead of having to join several.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by bartoni33

Pretty sure no one is calling this a MMO. It's obviously not one. But this site needs all the hits it can muster so they added any game that has more than just yourself in it.

Be calm, no one thinks this is a MMO.image

I could name one who would insist it was

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Add guilds.. Add keeps.. Add seiges.. And viola!

Got yourself an MMO tag in an ARPG..

Give birth to the MMOARPG genre!!! BRILLIANT!

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I know I shouldn't stereotype people, but when I see someone post "It's not an MMO! Why is it on this site???"...I can't help but classify that person as a "pinhead".

Don't be a pinhead.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Yes, it is not an MMORPG but an ARPG.   Even the Dev's agree with you  

"In summary, by choosing not to make Path of Exile a traditional MMORPG, we’ve attempted to reduce both the technical and business risks for a small team and focus on delivering a great action RPG."

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Niburu

Yes, it is not an MMORPG but an ARPG.   Even the Dev's agree with you  

Indeed the OP is an argument in search of an opponent.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Your right OP its not a MMORPG..

• R_M_BR_M_B Member UncommonPosts: 42

A bit off topic maybe, but this thread makes me wonder - what happened with a term >Hack&Slash< ?

Hell, I could even - just to make fun of OP - call it MMO H&S. Why it is now "ARPG" instead?

B)
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

You can't blame people OP, there is so much misinformation out there not from the gamers themselves, but by websites like this listing games as MMO's when they are not. I myself thought this was a MMO when i first heard about it There needs to be a seprate section for these type of online games, it only creates confusion. Because, Then people get yelled at by depressed angry gamers on forums.

Cheers,

-Trash

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91
    yep definitely not an MMO. not a big deal though