Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skipping mobs in dungeons

jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

As a player who goes to dungeons a lot this post was interesting.

Skipping mobs and Anet's acceptance of them; 

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Will-the-new-update-stop-skipping/first

I do find it a bit weird that while Anet preach the 'no grind in our game' motto, they call out players who skip the grindy content.

I haven't done the full math of how efficient it is yet but think it balances out.

I am running full MF gear though.

No, I don't care about the other 4; why would I? They are just random people I found on GW2LFG.com 

Question to this community is do you skip mobs in dungeons?

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Certain dungeons it seems a little too easy to skip over mobs.  Sometimes it is a pro/cons thing, where skipping over mobs has serious negative consequences, such as having to run through mobs again if you die (and thus running high risk of getting taken down during your solo run).  That is cool...

But even then it really brings out the worst in PUGs.  Some of my biggest issues with other players during dungeons has been about what to run by and not to run by.  It would be easier if the option just was not there, because it can make things a huge pain.  I tend to not want to run by mobs... Not even because I want to clear everything, but just because I'd rather take it slow and pull enemies correctly instead of rushing in and wiping several times.  I cannot count how many times my groups have died because people rush ahead, pull extra mobs, or run by mobs then try to pull back and hit the group they ran by.  What a point of contention...

As far as that thread you linked goes, I agree 100% with the GW2 rep's reply.  If you read between the lines, basically what he is saying is that it is too difficult to be worth balancing perfectly.

[rant] IMO they need to increase diminishing returns on dungeons.  Some people just run the same exact dungeon OVER AND OVER and DAY AFTER DAY.  It is these people who are the worst to group with; they have become jaded and rude and make terrible group mates.  I would never want to be part of their group or guild.  Often I would prefer a newbie, because at least then we could have fun figuring the dungeon out.  With many of these people who run it over and over, they totally lack communication and it leads to the group wiping over and over.  It is much more entertaining to wipe because someone is not familiar with the dungeon as opposed to wiping because someone is an asshat who doesnt know how to communicate. [/rant]

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

i hate it.

i would rather not play with people who are in that much of a rush.

i play games to relax and have fun, not for "GO GO GO! LOOTZ!"

that said, I can understand skipping a few here and there and sometimes might even prefer it, but not normally.

the worst is when the reason for skipping mobs is to save time, yet people die running the gauntlet, which in the long run (can) waste so much more time.

of course, as i type this all i can see is myself dodgin posion flowers in TA exp. it would not be so bad if the LoS on the flowers was not so terrible. (idk, maybe it's fixed now)

/shoot 

/miss

/shoot

/miss

/shoot

/miss

/posion cloud

/dead

/"can someone rez me?"

/"no, run back."

/"okay......"

/repeat

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I don't really communicate while running with randoms since I've run most of the dungeons multiple times now.

I don't usually skip them but if a party wants to, I'll follow.

Go with the flow cause I know I'm coasting with my MF set. :)

Edit 1: Think some dungeons have a risk / benefit that is a lot on the risk side and not on the benefit side.

I find myself saying stuff like 'Play it safe' usually works.

Then again, I normally leave after 2 wipes.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

Certain dungeons it seems a little too easy to skip over mobs.  Sometimes it is a pro/cons thing, where skipping over mobs has serious negative consequences, such as having to run through mobs again if you die (and thus running high risk of getting taken down during your solo run).  That is cool...

But even then it really brings out the worst in PUGs.  Some of my biggest issues with other players during dungeons has been about what to run by and not to run by.  It would be easier if the option just was not there, because it can make things a huge pain.  I tend to not want to run by mobs... Not even because I want to clear everything, but just because I'd rather take it slow and pull enemies correctly instead of rushing in and wiping several times.  I cannot count how many times my groups have died because people rush ahead, pull extra mobs, or run by mobs then try to pull back and hit the group they ran by.  What a point of contention...

As far as that thread you linked goes, I agree 100% with the GW2 rep's reply.  If you read between the lines, basically what he is saying is that it is too difficult to be worth balancing perfectly.

[rant] IMO they need to increase diminishing returns on dungeons.  Some people just run the same exact dungeon OVER AND OVER and DAY AFTER DAY.  It is these people who are the worst to group with; they have become jaded and rude and make terrible group mates.  I would never want to be part of their group or guild.  Often I would prefer a newbie, because at least then we could have fun figuring the dungeon out.  With many of these people who run it over and over, they totally lack communication and it leads to the group wiping over and over.  It is much more entertaining to wipe because someone is not familiar with the dungeon as opposed to wiping because someone is an asshat who doesnt know how to communicate. [/rant]

agree 100%

• motmot84motmot84 Member Posts: 11
    I just go with group's flow. Sometimes we skip, we don't. Some mobs don't present themselves as a "wall" where you have to defeat them in order to progress. Its cool when you are presented with different options to progress in a dungeon. Whether skipping mobs or steamrolling through them its your choice so long as you complete the dungeon. image
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I also go with the flow with dungeons and absolutely hate it when we skip mobs, either by 'standing on a wheel' or running through half an instance. At some point you need to ask yourself what you are playing a game for. Wow is the same and shows the extreme of where this is heading- 10 min runs, no fun no laughter no talking. Is it really worth months of playing like this to get a single weapon skin a bit earlier- madness IMO.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

More than anything I feel like this thread is turning into a commentary on certain players who have allowed the game to become stale for them and only play to get the best items.  That upsets me to see because ANET lead us to believe that there would be no significant gear  grind in GW2.  But honestly I dont care that much anyways since I just play it casually and I do not/never have cared about gear in any game.

If I could get ANET to add anything to GW2 today, I would have them add an expansion with new DE, new areas to explore, new personal story, and new dungeons (not new gear teir).  Wanting an expansion instead of wanting missing features/bugs just shows that I think the games pretty fraking good.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by jpnz

Question to this community is do you skip mobs in dungeons?

If my main goal in running a dungeon is to get a token at the end, yes. This is usually my stance after I've been to the dungeon several times.

ANet should track the total mobs wiped by the group and award them for that. That should give an incentive to clearing out a dungeon. Of course, mobs shouldn't respawn.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I like it when you can skip some of the useless adds that are in the way. I don't like wasting a lot of time in a dungeon because it's flooded with so many adds between a boss or 2 ala wow's dungeons, those usually made me bored to death or sleepy mid way because of the huge amount of adds to keep on progressing.

Seems like I'm in the minority here or something.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    You've described pretty much why I don't run dungeons any more, especially with PUGS.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386
    People who only run dungeons for the quick rewards are the main reason I'm no longer playing the instant gratification games like WoW/Rift/GW2.
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

The first few times i ran each path, no, I did not skip mobs or run with parties who did. Now it is a different story. I have run every dungeon so many times that now I only do it for the rewards. So to answer your questions, yes I do skip mobs these days to get through the dungeon quicker.

However, I still highly enjoy the dungeons and their mini boss and boss fights.

Also take into account that if you are running 20+ fractal and you do not skip mobs you may be in there for 2 hours. Some people don't really have time to sit there for 2 hours and you know how awful it is to have someone bail on your fractal group halfway through.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

If I am leveling, then I prefer to kill everything.

If I am at end game, I want to take the fastest route possible to get whatever I came for.

If someone asked me to take a little more time and kill all the mobs, I would have no problem with that either.  Try talking with the people you find on  LFG, you might find they dont mind killing everything.  The community in GW2 has been surprisingly cool so far, IMO.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Skipping mobs can reduce the time spent in dungeon up to by half. I skip mobs everywhere I can. Why? Because I did those dungeons dozens of times and I do them for the only reason - profit. When dugeons were still fresh and I wasn't sure what awaits me behind the corner of course I've been killing everything, but it's not worth it later if you are farming that dungeon and know everything you will encounter, so I skip and kill only objective mobs and bosses.
  • maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

As a casual player who has not ran all the dungeons hundreds of times, I prefer to fight the content 'the way it was intended to be fought'.

With that said, I don't hold anything against players who want to skip some of the content as I understand they are in check the box mode.  And to be honest, these players are useful in getting things done.

What I find frustrating, is the skipping of content using buggy means that take a while to learn.

Example is CM where at the farm house you can jump up some rocks and walk around a lot of the content.  Some rocks you fall through, others you don't.  Well, for a group who has 4 people who have never done it before, and 1 person who has, I swear we spent more time trying to get past the mobs than if we had just killed them proper.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by maddbomber83

As a casual player who has not ran all the dungeons hundreds of times, I prefer to fight the content 'the way it was intended to be fought'.

With that said, I don't hold anything against players who want to skip some of the content as I understand they are in check the box mode.  And to be honest, these players are useful in getting things done.

What I find frustrating, is the skipping of content using buggy means that take a while to learn.

Example is CM where at the farm house you can jump up some rocks and walk around a lot of the content.  Some rocks you fall through, others you don't.  Well, for a group who has 4 people who have never done it before, and 1 person who has, I swear we spent more time trying to get past the mobs than if we had just killed them proper.

this