Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: Dust and EVE Sitting in a Tree

2»

Comments

• KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    They're tied in for a year with an exclusivity agreement in answer to the questions about why on the PS3 first.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Ive said it before and I'll say it again (no sarcasm intended). But people seem to have a really hard time understanding this.

When a game goes exclusive, as when its announced exclusive to a certain console platform, it means that console platform is helping fund the cost of the game. Sony thru the PS3 is helping CCP with the costs of the game. Its kind of the biggest worst kept secret in the console business.

Take a look at one of the biggest and by far most successful exclusive coups ever; Halo.

Halo was slated for PC release just after console release. Then out of the blue Bungee announces its XBox only. It launced XBox to the front of pack in terms of consoles to have. And Bungee got some serious funding for losing all that revenue by being exclusive.

Its good business for CCP, if you can get someone to invest in your project without making them and being beholden to them as a true investor. See Im sure CCP is contractually required to complete Dust514, but in the end both win.

I would bet the farm, that its console exclusivity isnt forever. We'll see Dust514 on the PC eventually. Dont think we'll see it on another console, that would be a stupid move by Sony. But locking it up to one platform would be dumb on both sides.

I would guess that being a funder to Dust514 that Sony gets a little peice of the pie when it ports to the PC. That is after its exausted most of its console sales and a certain amount of time has passed (see Halo).

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ErifNevowErifNevow Member Posts: 97
    First, let me say I love this. Simply for it being one of the first, if not the very first, cross-platform, cross-genre links between two games.

Haven't then hinted quite heavily at a Dust PC release (like with the having Keyboard and Mousw controls in game)

Also I remember hearing (though I may be wrong) that they WANTED to do a 360 release, but Microsoft (as usual) was being stingy and wouldn't work with the server connection technology needed for the game to link with Eve and XBox Live.

Newb= Newly Enrolled Wannabe Badass.

• lostbuglostbug Member Posts: 1

Yup, the only problem with this is the continuing lost revenue: I know people who will never buy Bungie products again due to this percieved 'jumping ship' from the PC that it was originally being developed for.
    Originally posted by Hokie

Halo was slated for PC release just after console release. Then out of the blue Bungee announces its XBox only. It launced XBox to the front of pack in terms of consoles to have. And Bungee got some serious funding for losing all that revenue by being exclusive.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    In a year or two, they will be removing Dust because few people will care about it.  What a silly waste of time, money and effort IMO.  They should have worked on EVE's WiS system and their WoD game instead. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Thank god Dust is almost out the way :D , more resources incommming for World of Darkness, can not wait!

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    In a year or two, they will be removing Dust because few people will care about it.  What a silly waste of time, money and effort IMO.  They should have worked on EVE's WiS system and their WoD game instead. 

DUST should have been a PC addition to EO with mechs.  Buy up or lease the rights to the Mech franchise, which is getting trashed by MO, and make it a planet-mech combat.

The base mechanics were there with slot layouts and heat.  However, the vision from CCP is to have a continuous link between ground forces and EO players but they forget that most FPS games are thrown out the window after the honeymoon period and if they don't make it big in the console market, the FPS side will fade into the abyss like so many other FPS games.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    i love this idea but cant help thinking its just more power too goons and the other large alliances as all the trigger happy kids want to be part of the super powers... i doubt we will see any sole merc dust corps as they will no doubt want space bearing supper support. smaller corporations in eve will see little to no success on the ground at all as larger corporations will swamp them in space.. meaning no orbital support for the little guys on the ground. great idea just not too much thought gone into the butterfly effect of this new system.
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    in short big and rich coalitions will fund their ground based guys giving them the edge dominating in both arenas. its just the way people think.. no one likes lposeing and very few can be bothered to create something great like goonswarm fed and the other 1000 + corporations. no one has the resources time commitment or inspiration. as soon as you reach a substantial size you just get jumped on. i love eve but its definately for the empire building minds out there, small thinkers get no where in eve so the top 5 alliances which are usually allies will dominate now both aspects of eve.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Adamai
    i love this idea but cant help thinking its just more power too goons and the other large alliances as all the trigger happy kids want to be part of the super powers... i doubt we will see any sole merc dust corps as they will no doubt want space bearing supper support. smaller corporations in eve will see little to no success on the ground at all as larger corporations will swamp them in space.. meaning no orbital support for the little guys on the ground. great idea just not too much thought gone into the butterfly effect of this new system.

Goons will have other priorities for their ISK after this weekend :)

Give me liberty or give me lasers