Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Dragon Age: Origins Worth The Buy

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Its a fun game, and worth at least a few playthroughs.  The first one anyway.

You make me like charity

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Totally worth it , just dont buy dragon age II , play a rogue haha ! 
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir
    You can be either the stalwart selfless hero, a dastardly rotten villian, or someone who looks after only their own means.

Good, I hate games that make you out to be the shining hero in aurmor. So boring.

Smile

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by StormwindX

Meh. I disliked it. It's just your generic Bioware "the chosen one against an ancient evil that wants to destroy the world" sucky  storyline. And I found the combat to be clunky and kind of awkward.

But that's just me. I'm a bit overly critical. A lot of people actually happened to like the game... but I don't think it's worth more than $10.

Less than $10? I'm trying to think of the plethora of games that had thousands of less hours put into development that cost more than that. You can buy a game with no voice acting, lesser graphics, near zero story, piss poor combat animations, poor combat mechanics, and still have it cost more than $30.

Also, Bioware's "generic", is generic for bioware, but generic for bioware is unique to the rest of the industry.

Even if I personally didn't like the game, it's worth more than $10, no amount of my subjective opinion would change that.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by denshing
    Originally posted by StormwindX

Meh. I disliked it. It's just your generic Bioware "the chosen one against an ancient evil that wants to destroy the world" sucky  storyline. And I found the combat to be clunky and kind of awkward.

But that's just me. I'm a bit overly critical. A lot of people actually happened to like the game... but I don't think it's worth more than $10.

Less than $10? I'm trying to think of the plethora of games that had thousands of less hours put into development that cost more than that. You can buy a game with no voice acting, lesser graphics, near zero story, piss poor combat animations, poor combat mechanics, and still have it cost more than $30.

Also, Bioware's "generic", is generic for bioware, but generic for bioware is unique to the rest of the industry.

Even if I personally didn't like the game, it's worth more than $10, no amount of my subjective opinion would change that.

Yeah, it's reported to have 80 hours worth of gameplay so I'm fine with paying what I did :)

Smile

• I thought it was an OK game but not more than that. If you can get it on a discount and like RPGs, it may be worth a playthrough.

I think the tactical combat was handled terribly. IMO they should have gone with a turn-based system. The pause/unpause system is very frustrating because often your party will never carry out your orders exactly to the letter or they'll get out of position naturally as the battlefield changes. This means you have to constantly pause and make microadjustments, which gets tedious. Double up on this if you have a backstabbing character in your party.

They've created a cool setting for the game, I think. Unfortunately it's not an open world like Skyrim, but is segmented into small bits, which is a shame. Still, the individual bits are usually well done, and some of the areas have great atmosphere. I especially liked the dwarven highways and the towns.

There's a lot of talking. I think the conversations aren't as good as in Mass Effect. For one, they are less "to the point" and feel less natural because of it. The protagonist also has no voice of his own during conversations, so it looks pretty odd when an NPC stands there having a conversation with himself while your character just stands there like a doofus.

I think the story and plot is pretty good, and I think the pacing of the story is well done. You start out small but end up with having a very central role in the realm. There's a great variety of characters you'll meet, and chances are you'll like some of them and hate others. You're given much freedom in which ones to pick and which ones not to pick, and listening in on the conversations your followers have between each other is very interesting.

The DLC is very overpriced for the content offered, so unless you get a major discount I'd skip those.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

One of the most overhyped games out there.

Story is the typical Tolkien copy paste -- let's unite all races against the army of evil that looks like a band of orcs led by nazghuls.

FILLER COMBAT

Character building is too mechanical and systematical. All abilities are the same, just differ in some keywords (like damage type). 

FILLER COMBAT

The choices are a joke. Whatever choices you have, the only difference is the cut-scene in the end of the quest.

FILLER COMBAT

It's the typical Bioware template. You get your ship (ehm camp) where your companions stand around the fireplace and let you talk to them about their super dramatical stories that has nothing to do with the main quest. If you like soap operas, good for you, otherwise you'll skip it. 

And I'm not sure, if I mentioned FILLER COMBAT. The locations and the overall game is small. You could run through it under half an hour. The dungeons are usually made of a couple of rooms, but there is so much FILLER COMBAT that each quest and each dungeon takes a couple of hours. Moreover, the combat DOES NOT change, it doesn't matter if you fight spiders, orcs (uhm I mean spawns), or nazghuls (uhm archspawns), you will still use the same abilities, ALL the F***** TIME. No special resistances, no special strategy required whatsoever.

REALITY CHECK

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Origins was very good, to me.  Varied starting story, each with pretty engaging plots initially.  Solid gameplay, decent customization, and interesting dialouge, even while running around.  I loved DA:O.  Its pretty standard fantasy fare, but its done very well.  Da:2 was terrible.  The combat wasn't bad, but the story was just...dragging.  I felt like I had to force myself into it.  Slow, and uninteresting.  Origins really hooked me with the early game plot points.  Granted they all fold into the same overall story, those little moments early on tend to matter later on.  I won't spoil anything, but you can bet my dwarf made some choices that my elf did not because of how he interacted with his kin early on and how that changed my view of certain people.  In some ways, its a magnificent game.

But its also not terribly groundbreaking.  I also find that, the older I get, the less groundbreaking I find anything.  I suppose that is natural, though.  Skyrim isn't exactly groundbreaking either, but I would totally recommend that game.  Hell, if anything, its a digression from its roots.  Still fun, still worth playing.  I suspect that many people simply haven't gotten old enough to realize how jaded they really are, and learned to appreciate things in spite of it.  Its okay to rehash concepts that exist already.  Just make me give a crap about even one character, and I'm okay with it.  DA:O made me care about several characters, and thats pretty good considering. 

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Pros for me?
    Immersive.
    Memorable characters.
    Moddable.
    Great RPG if you're like me and take your time and just live in the world.

Cons? Linear.
    Many uninteresting spells.
    Some boring as fudge zones. I wouldn't be looking forward to doing that one area that turned me into a mouse (?). It dragged on and on and on...ugh.

Edit: I forgot about the heavily compartmentalized world. That was a real downer. Dragon Age: Loading Screens.

This is all off the top of my head. I put in almost 200 hours. Money well spent, I thought.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

It is a good game and is well made with a well written story but I have tried and tried to get into it as Bioware used to be my favourite games developer (until the SWTOR fiasco and EA dragging Bioware downhill) but I just cannot.

I too loved Jade Empire and the Mass Effect series are my favourite games on my PS3 but DA:O just doesn't engage me like those do. I have yet to complete DA:O and haven't even opened DA2 but with MMO's being so boring nowadays it will be on my to do list this year.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I throughly enjoyed Jade Empire which was made by Bioware too and am wondering if Dragon Age: Origins is worth the buy. Pros and cons of the game would be appreciated.

Dragon Age 1, and Dragon Age Awakening (YES)

Dragon Age 2, Not so much it wasn't as good as the first.

Kingdoms of Alamur, the game that went down the drain by 38th studios pretty fun too.

Yes you can buy DragonAge 1 off ebay most likely for like $5 or get it on a steam sell cheap.

There are also Free ways to obtain these games online like survey sites or paying for a digital download.

I purchased DragonAge 1, I have both discs here, and I like them both, DragonAge 2 however was a failure it was a waste of my $30 to even buy the game I really didn't enjoy DA2 much at all, Part 1 was a good game and had some sad endings too.

Just like Dead Space.

I Enjoyed Dead Space 1, but didn't enjoy Dead Space 2 because of the lack of story to the game it just didn't make any sense to me at all if I wanted to play a shooter I would just go play Quake Live or something, Dead Space 1 actually had a main plot setting and ending somewhat, Dead Space 2 made no sense really to me it left me with a big ? above my head waiting for dead space 3 now which will cost $50 and do what add to the story cut off in the middle of the story not finish or have any sense at all and wait for Dead Space 4?

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I have no problems with recommending Dragon Age Origins, just as long as you stop at that and not bother looking at the travesty that was Dragon Age 2.

Talk about killing an up and coming franchise... Nice move BioWare!

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Origins was a masterpiece of it's time for those who enjoyed Neverwinter/Knights of the Old Republic like combat systems in another Fantasy Based world.

The thing that really stuck out for me was how each beginning choice affected the first 10-15 hours of your new playthrough.  Even your gender affected choices and what happened; if you're a male city elf you go one route, female you get captured and have to break out of a bad guy's lair intent to take you and your friends as his... entourage?

The same goes with humans and dwarves, forest elves, etc... Also your class may change things as mages always start in teh tower regardless of race.

The combat takes some patience to get the most out of it (what a great deal people lack) and the game could last hundreds of hours depending on your playstyle.

As people have said already, just avoid the second one entirely.  They tried to make it about action combat, reused map after map (and assets) and overall just made a large amount of bad decisions that did not go over well for those who enjoyed the first one.  It also got depressing after a while.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • rpg_gunnerrpg_gunner Member Posts: 80

I generally found that Dragon Age Origins was better than 2.

Lots of places to explore and items to collect. Definitely worth it!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I rented it for a day from a video store and noticed something about having to buy and download more content / zones???  I wasn't sure what that was about but it made me angry so I never bought the game.  That and I got as far as:

*spoiler alert *

this dwarf girl that wanted to go to the big city with me and couldn't seem to figure out what to do about her or how to get out of dwarf town.  

Also, the relationship point system was annoying me.  I accidently said the wrong thing to the elf and screwed up our relationship and I really wanted a piece of his... friendship.

The whole thing made me angry so I invested in Sims 2 instead where I can make as many elves as I want.  Just can't kill shiz.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

it was a great game. I never bought the expansion or DLC packs but Ive been thinking about replaying DA:O

Gamestop has the Dragon Age:Origins Ultimate pack that has original game, the expansion and all DLC for like $8

http://impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W824

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

It's really for you to decide. It's typical Bioware game. They have one schema for every RPG they made. Jade Empire included. So:

Aligment

- You can be very very good, smart and kind character

- Or you can be very very bad, cruel and stupid

There is no middle ground. In Bioware games everything is black and white. I treat their game like some pif paf for kids and teenagers.  If you are looking for more mature experience where world is interesting and there is few layers of gray between good and evil, I would suggest trying Witcher. Witcher 1 is long game but not appealing for many. Witcher 2 is more "modern" where stuff are more simple. Treat W1 and W2 as different games. I love W1 but I suggest new people to start with W2.

Locations

- Bioware never learned how to make proper locations. Everyone stand in one place. Everything is clean (no beggars, animals or anything out of ordinary. Clean locations with static NPC.

Story

- It's always the same in every BW game. Visit 3-4 locations, get something from them then "grand finale". Only thing that change is that your travel can be more linear (like in JE) or not (KOTOR).

So the thing is - if you played Bioware games and you love classic RPG then Dragon Age Origins is for you. It's one of few new BW games I really like. Mass Effect is a disaster (part 1 was nice but 2 and 3 is more of a shooter than rpg), Dragon Age 2 was even worst and SWTOR is a disapointment. 

If you like more simple and action oriented RPG like Jade Empire then try one of the above (ME, DA2, SWTOR (free)). If you want deep and great experience and you have modern PC then go with Witcher 2. Witcher 1 is very very good but many people don't like it because it's too hard for them. And quite different from W2.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

MAges where op :P

Great game. I played it through multiple times. Never tried part 2 once I heard it was going to be an EA game not a bioware game ( not talking about who actually made it )

• hotsnipezhotsnipez Member Posts: 8
    Dragon Age Origins is honestly the best single player RPG I've played. Though the combat isn't FANTASTIC, the story is amazing. Never will you find another RPG that will wow you. 

The worst that can happen is death :D

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Great game.  AndI should note, that I loved 2 as well, but I like games.
  • rpg_gunnerrpg_gunner Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by DamonVile

MAges where op :P

Great game. I played it through multiple times. Never tried part 2 once I heard it was going to be an EA game not a bioware game ( not talking about who actually made it )

I tried DA 2 and while the graphics were better, it just didn't live up to the expectations that DA: Origins provided.

Origins all the way.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I liked it. Played through it several times.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

I hated this game at first, but I gave it more of my time and probably ended up being one of my favorite games I've ever played on a console. I opened up to the combat more as it become more about strategy and utilizing each character and their skills at the right time. The storyline was really good too, but not without a few forgivable cheesy moments though.

Overall, definitely worth the buy.

• oftenoften Member Posts: 7

I'll put in my 2 cents.  

I think DA:O was a good game.  It wasn't much different than standard Bioware fare, though what they do, they tend to do pretty well.  The combat system was pretty interesting, though I felt the story was kind of lame.  It's a typical "evil thing is coming, beat it" sort of fantasy story that has been done before.  Doesn't mean they did a poor job with it though.  It's told in an engaging way, and many of the characters will grab you (as far as Story goes, I preferred the Witcher, though I prefered combat in DA:O).

As far as DA2 goes, I really liked it.  I know many really didn't, and I'm cool with that.  I'd say give it a chance.  I enjoyed what the story was trying to do, and what they were trying to do with conventions in the genre.  Instead of going on a journey to a ton of locations, your Hero stays in one city for most of his life and builds a reputation there.  I know many didn't like the reuse of locations (which is an understandable criticism), and disliked the seeming lack of choice in the game (though I feel this is a halmark of many RPGs, very few actually give choice), but it might be worth a shot.  I think there's still a demo out there.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I throughly enjoyed Jade Empire which was made by Bioware too and am wondering if Dragon Age: Origins is worth the buy. Pros and cons of the game would be appreciated.

DA:O .. Dragon Age 1 definitelly. Dragon Age 2, forget it.