Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Blergh... I just CAN'T cope with these stories...

ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member

Out of boredom and curiosity I went back to one sub months. I made my peace with lots of things, like the barren worlds and stuff. But many of the stories... so they are just SO bad.

Agent, Inquisitor and Smuggler, those were good stories. But Jedi... good grief, it's like a fanfic! So so so stereotype. Not a cent of humor. It's like what Mark Hammill said, when he first saw the New Trilogy, that it was so damn serious and no humor. Indeed. That was the big difference between Old and good and the mediocre New Trilogy. WAAAAY too serious. It's always noble Jedi, selfless bla blah... do those Jedi EVER get tired of their calender-wisdom? I mean, their sayings could be right outside a cheap horoscope!

And many, many of the planetary quests are just as awful. Sorry, but for a company claiming to take STORY so important, most of the stories SUCK. I mean, ok  they don't suck, but they are on a level like a fanfic! Save the sick master, get the princess... bla bla. God, can a story get anymore stereotype and lame?

EVERY NPC: "Oh save my farm/shop/family from the evil XYZ. And to do that you must take the Y from the END of the cave and wade through all mobs."

JEDI: "Verily, honorable stranger to whom I owe nothing,  it is my duty as Jedi to work for free! It was the will of the Force I came here to save your precious cake/diary/daughter/waffle collection."

Yeah. VERY creative writing. NOT!

Zzzzzzzzz....

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Colorado Springs, COPosts: 1,538Member

The Jedi storyline is known for being bland and pretty bad as far as I know. 

Agreed, they were bland in the prequels too.  Which is why I busted out laughing at "Order 66" in the theater.  Ahhhh...good times.  Also hilarious?  When Anakin was burned nearly in half.  It was like watching Justin Beiber catch fire.  If only. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    Yeah it's not you playing the wrong class, it's the game.
  • ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon
    Some of the stories are fantastic, but mostly on the Empire. Imperial Agent is probably the best one, imo, and Sith Warrior. I don't see anything wrong with the Inquisitor one, either...Like you said..I have yet to finish BH but it's been pretty good so far, and I haven't done the smuggler story. I want to do more but I'm kind of waiting to see what direction they take the game in once the expansions out.
  • ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 8,063Member
    Originally posted by DamonVile

No I want to play Jedi now, but not THIS sort of story. And much of the planetary quests are also lame stories. With some exceptions.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• LatronusLatronus Lexington Park, MDPosts: 692Member
    Yeah, there is no humor to speak of in the Jedi storyline, but I enjoyed the story.  I just took it that Jedi are very serious.  I knew when it was finished though.  I liked my BH story as well but when I finished it I was like, really?  I'm done?  I didn't play through all of them so I can't say how they all are though.

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,473Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Elikal

No I want to play Jedi now, but not THIS sort of story. And much of the planetary quests are also lame stories. With some exceptions.

Your expectations are too high.

• RanyrRanyr Syracuse, NYPosts: 195Member
    I like choosing the snarky answers on my Jedi Sage, it makes it more amusing.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member

I thought the Jedi Knight story was pretty good, if not one of the best.  It's a jedi, so I kind of went into it expecting certain things. Also, some of the quests had some truly funny dialogue, especially the dark side stuff.

The stories are one of the few good things about the game, honestly.  But sure, I guess if you're expecting Oscar-winning scripts or something, then you're in for some disappointment. 

You make me like charity

• Effin_RabbitEffin_Rabbit Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 772Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I thought the Jedi Knight story was pretty good, if not one of the best.  It's a jedi, so I kind of went into it expecting certain things. Also, some of the quests had some truly funny dialogue, especially the dark side stuff.

The stories are one of the few good things about the game, honestly.  But sure, I guess if you're expecting Oscar-winning scripts or something, then you're in for some disappointment. 

Pretty much.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Halifax, NSPosts: 775Member Uncommon

True, OP.  I played Jedi at first, and got bored of the story incredibly quickly. I played all the classes to level 10-20 at least, and Jedi to 38 or so, but it never really got any better. Sith Inquisitor was the only story that was actually any good, in my opinion, but by the time I started playing it, I was pretty burnt out.

Personally, it's not the stories though, that got me annoyed, it was the voices of the characters. I hated having my character in cutscenes with voices/accents I didn't like, which of course, made their stories even worse. I put up with the Inquisitors shitty accent, 'cause the story was decent, but meh.

SWTOR needs a complete overhaul to be worth playing, though. There's a couple good stories, but aside from that, it's beyond mindless, copy-pasted boring bullshit.

It's probably the one time in my life I actually WISHED a game was shut down, and hopefully never spoken of again.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Great YarmouthPosts: 394Member Uncommon

Out of boredom and curiosity I went back to one sub months. I made my peace with lots of things, like the barren worlds and stuff. But many of the stories... so they are just SO bad.

Agent, Inquisitor and Smuggler, those were good stories. But Jedi... good grief, it's like a fanfic! So so so stereotype. Not a cent of humor. It's like what Mark Hammill said, when he first saw the New Trilogy, that it was so damn serious and no humor. Indeed. That was the big difference between Old and good and the mediocre New Trilogy. WAAAAY too serious. It's always noble Jedi, selfless bla blah... do those Jedi EVER get tired of their calender-wisdom? I mean, their sayings could be right outside a cheap horoscope!

And many, many of the planetary quests are just as awful. Sorry, but for a company claiming to take STORY so important, most of the stories SUCK. I mean, ok  they don't suck, but they are on a level like a fanfic! Save the sick master, get the princess... bla bla. God, can a story get anymore stereotype and lame?

EVERY NPC: "Oh save my farm/shop/family from the evil XYZ. And to do that you must take the Y from the END of the cave and wade through all mobs."

JEDI: "Verily, honorable stranger to whom I owe nothing,  it is my duty as Jedi to work for free! It was the will of the Force I came here to save your precious cake/diary/daughter/waffle collection."

Zzzzzzzzz....

Your accusing the game and films of taking things too seriously, REALLY!

• jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member

SWTOR stays very true to Star Wars actually.

Which is why it is a good Star Wars story. Whether you like Star Wars story or not is personal preference.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow TurkuPosts: 1,187Member Uncommon
    Don't read the story. They pumped millions in the VA.
  • ZorgoZorgo Deepintheheartof, TXPosts: 2,226Member

Agent, Inquisitor and Smuggler, those were good stories. But Jedi... good grief, it's like a fanfic! So so so stereotype. Not a cent of humor. It's like what Mark Hammill said, when he first saw the New Trilogy, that it was so damn serious and no humor. Indeed. That was the big difference between Old and good and the mediocre New Trilogy. WAAAAY too serious.

Zzzzzzzzz....

Well they tried to be funny - remember Jar Jar Binks - or C3PO's head replacement and factory tour - 

And even the stories in SWToR I found laughable......

But I was laughing AT them, instead of WITH them.

If you can't tell.....I agree with you whole heartedly.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Corehaven

The Jedi storyline is known for being bland and pretty bad as far as I know. 

Agreed, they were bland in the prequels too.  Which is why I busted out laughing at "Order 66" in the theater.  Ahhhh...good times.  Also hilarious?  When Anakin was burned nearly in half.  It was like watching Justin Beiber catch fire.  If only. 

I almost cried when they issued Order 66 you heartless monster! The pain that Yoda felt...you're cold.

• MarirranyaMarirranya Ortario, OHPosts: 154Member

honestly... when i was playing swtor, spacebar was my bestfriend heh XD

id read a few dialogues here and there.. but mostly just skipped over pretty much most of them.

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• ZorgoZorgo Deepintheheartof, TXPosts: 2,226Member
    Originally posted by jpnz

Which is why it is a good Star Wars story. Whether you like Star Wars story or not is personal preference.

There are huge differences between being true to Star Wars and good story telling.

These were stories, true to Star Wars lore, told badly.

Your statement reads like, 'if you don't like these stories, you don't like star wars' and I  have one response to that;

Do you love star wars stories?

How did you feel about the Phantom Menace?

Sometimes Star Wars stories can be told badly.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zorgo

There are huge differences between being true to Star Wars and good story telling.

Your statement reads like, 'if you don't like these stories, you don't like star wars' and I  have one response to that;

Personally I liked the prequel trilogy. But I don't think there was any way they could have won on those movies. Some fans were gonna hate anything they did. Because lets face it, fans are bitches these days.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Winchester, MAPosts: 937Member
  • zomard100zomard100 karlovacPosts: 228Member
    SWTOR still have better story then any other mmo around. I found all of stories amazing . So you think that only Jedi story sucks but in your title are all stories bad, hmmm.... cmon! Really :)
  • PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

I've liked all the Empire stories, so far. I've got my main, a sith warrior, up to 44. I had a BH up to 30. The BH is my favorite voice actor. Looking forward to going on with my other two imp classes.

The Republic stories were so bland and boring to me. I tried to play a Jedi Knight, but I just got so bored. 

The Empire stories I've gone through so far include betrayal and a nemesis. The Republic stories (made it to the 30s on the Jedi Knight) don't so far, except for the trooper (to the 20s) which included a kind of betrayal but it was early, so it wasn't very bitter.

Theory: In storycrafting, there is the dictum: A story is only as good as its villain. 

The Republic stories don't have that strong villian who has a close relationship with the main character, so the betrayal factor is missing. That may come later in the stories, but it seems like there is no sweet spot early enough but not too early in the Republic story lines.  Republic stories need to be spiced up quite a bit. They need a strong villlain closer to the main character along with  sex/seduction, lies, betrayal, lust for power, greed, that kind of stuff you find on the Empire side. It doesn't mean you have to be a corrupt Jedi Knight, but it would make fighting for the light side  of the force more meaningful and dramatic, I would think.

If you are a Jedi Knight, since there is no neutral alignment, you would either be corrupted to the darkside, in which case, story tension should come from not getting found out and needing to be secretive and stealthy. If you are playing the light side, then there should be strong temptations which you would have to overcome, to drive the tension. There would then be consequences of spurning seductive offers, etc. That's the price of being the good guy.

• DraronDraron A town in, KYPosts: 993Member
    From the two classes I've played through (Bounty Hunter and Sith Inquisitor) I liked them. Can't say much for the others though until I experience them.
  • jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Considering the prequels are actual SW stories, yes I liked them.

Course I loved EP4-6 more but I like all SW stories.

If you don't like the prequels, you don't like SW stories since the prequels are actual official SW stories. This isn't rocket science.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ZagaZaga Sao PauloPosts: 23Member
    Originally posted by asmkm22

This.

You get some funny lines, a lot of predictable plot twists, and a lot of jibber jabber, most of it designed to try and make all the "Kill 10 rats" missions feel like something really important and world-changing.

So yeah, the stories are probably the best thing about SWTOR, but they're a lot worse than most AAA single player RPGs. Nobody would be even talking about the storylines if SWTOR wasn't the only MMO to hype them to such an extent.

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,949Member Uncommon

"Its not the right class" is not really a good excuse for a bad story. And lets face it, this game is all about the story (well, 90% at least).

That Jedis are knights that helps out people in need and revere life doesnt mean they must stay and help every stranger with all small crap that gets their way.

TORs story do have some really good parts but they should have made the crap quests at least optional and focused more on the epic stuff.

Yeah, a Jedi might stop by and help a farmer with small problems if shes in a nice mode but that doesnt mean I should have to play through that part. We skip other boring parts like sleep and visiting the toilet after all.

MMOs with a story should focus the story on good stuff, there are plenty of other things you can grind in them if you like grinding.

It is not a huge surprise that some classes have better story than others though, there is just too much for a single writer to handle and some writers are better than others but I still feel Bioware should have had a shorter and more epic story and then put most of the work on the side quests on multiplaying and spacecombat instead.

I know that Luke was a moisture farmer but I wouldnt want to watch a movie about that and neither do I want to simulate that in quests (well, it is fine to set the mode in the tutorial).