Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: How SWTOR Can Own 2013

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Must be a very popular game still , to either bash or praise.

It would still get as many posts even if it was a thread stating how SWG or CoH can own 2013. All 3 have as much chance as owning 2013 ;)

SWTOR is popular for discussions, just not popular for playing

It may have had less and more constructive feedback if the title said something like "What SWTOR needs to do to own 2013" Maybe that is what the OP is after, but what I took it as and many others did seem to as well, was that SWTOR looks good to own 2013, but not really, not the direction it is going at the moment. They are still just recycling content already done. STO has more chance of owning 2013, with Season 8 and Season 9 slated already for 2013, and Season 6 and Season 7 already in game since June 2012, when Makeb and everything else was brought up. So by the time STO releases Season 8, that will be 3 loads of content whereas SWTOR would have only had one - Makeb.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Guess Bioware/EAturd paid you guys off for some more positive publicity.

They sure did.

My comment was deleted and it was the second comment so they didn't want people to see it I did not bash the game all i said with other MMORPG coming this year  i can't see how this could possibly own 2013.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Take a minute, think, and realize that no one speaks for everyone.

I would of believed you....until you deleted my post. Fortunately someone qouted my orginal post so people can still see it.

They are not on the forums because the fans are the 1%. But hey, thanks for deleting my orginal post.

• Maverick827Maverick827 Member Posts: 71
    If you're pro-SWTOR, then you must have been paid off by BioWare.

If you're anti-SWTOR, then your an unbiased observer.

This community is trash.
  • ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

Build a death star and hold the Earth hostage?

The recent DS initiative in US finally makes sense. Too bad Bioware didn't get it approved. Oh well, will the last one leaving the game please turn off the servers, please?

• ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Heres a idea, make PvP enjoyable by fixing people getting perma-held. I extremely huge thing is no limit to amount of PvP matches a player can do, this 5 per week is absoluely asinine. Completely re do healers so people who put the majority of points into their build have more then just 1 conclusively crappy AoE heal, I have never played a MMO till I played this game where there was only I AoE heal at that heal was at the very end of the heal build and on top of that the heal was only a minor heal at best.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    I got tired of clicking options in quests. The only thing that could bring me in as a player would be "Straight Party" voting. That way I don't have to spend 10 minutes making decisions on my alignment to accept a single quest.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• Modge-SteddoModge-Steddo Member Posts: 5
    I like SWTOR. It reminds me of CoH. . .
  • Modge-SteddoModge-Steddo Member Posts: 5

That being said; yes on open world pvp, mofo space pvp and why can I still not link stuff, like webpages, in chat? 

The game's great. Let the haters hate hate hate hate

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    I want to sit in a chair.

You can and always have been able to on your ship.  Oh, never made it that far in game, not my fault troll.  If that's all that matters to you, then maybe you need to out the SIMS.  Fixing fame rate issues and make the game feel more alive would have been a better complaint.

I was serious, it would make the cantina's into far more social hubs, but then hey that might turn it into an MMO. Great on Bioware for allowing you to sit in a chair in an instance, that really helps. The animation is absolutely shit if your character has a robe/cloak too.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Must be a very popular game still , to either bash or praise.

It would still get as many posts even if it was a thread stating how SWG or CoH can own 2013. All 3 have as much chance as owning 2013 ;)

SWTOR is popular for discussions, just not popular for playing

It may have had less and more constructive feedback if the title said something like "What SWTOR needs to do to own 2013" Maybe that is what the OP is after, but what I took it as and many others did seem to as well, was that SWTOR looks good to own 2013, but not really, not the direction it is going at the moment. They are still just recycling content already done. STO has more chance of owning 2013, with Season 8 and Season 9 slated already for 2013, and Season 6 and Season 7 already in game since June 2012, when Makeb and everything else was brought up. So by the time STO releases Season 8, that will be 3 loads of content whereas SWTOR would have only had one - Makeb.

Hmmm SWTOR is more popular in playing then any game you have mentioned that is better then SWTOR in your poster profile.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• zunarnzunarn Member CommonPosts: 97

Whatever you are smoking Mike, I was some of it lol.

In all seriousness there is no way that SWTOR will do better in 2013. Ship has sailed, you have a very small window of pleasing mmo players. There is no such thing as an mmo that recovers after the 2nd year or 3rd year. It just doesn't happen, even if your name has "Star Wars" in it.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by ignore_me

They might want to address the horrible frame-rates many users get even on high end systems. I would have given free to play more of a chance if the game could get above 20-25 fps on my rig.  

[post launch I never had frame-rate issues with this game save on Ilum. They have done something that messed up the performance. I turned off advanced shadows etc., no effect.]

people are STILL having issues with that? WHA? I thought they killed that bug 6 months ago.

in all fairness i doubt it will do better there's some glaring SOE style issues with their pricing model to throw out first.
  • Wowzer7Wowzer7 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Is it normal for people on MMORPG.com to be upset over a positive SWTOR article? You'd think people would've gotten tired of all the doom and gloom.
  • ThaddeusPLThaddeusPL Member UncommonPosts: 12
    SWTOR is only MMO not MMORPG loke Cabal, Aion or World of Tanks. If You want to lay MMORPG try old Ultima Online or Anarchy Online  when u have 200 or similar skills for your alt. Pen and paper RPG never have 6 or 10 skils. So modern online RPG is only a small piece of p&p RPG.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Personally I think the game is good, yeah there are a few things missing that I would love to be ingame. The thing that makes me like the game the most is the story, I have a good reason for doing quest even though it's still the same kill x collect y type of quests. I also like the Flashpoints even though they are not hard they still are fun with the theatrics they throw in. Nothings wrong with the way the game engine looks, charachter skin and hair is the only thing I don't like. I just hope Archeage will shut you Themepark haters up for a bit, go find a game you enjoy and I'll keep enjoying my themepark games.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    hueheuehueheuehueheueheuheueheueheuheueheueheueheuhehehhahahahahahahahahahahahahhophohohohohohohohohohohoohhuhuhuhuhuhuha hah ha ha ha ha still just as funny as the first time i read it

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

I could not agree more. F2P games have destroyed the already fragile community of most MMO's. It's really disgraceful to think F2P players have a say in development of features in a lot of games. I will say the only MMO I have really seen handle the F2P transition and maintain a decent community is EQ1, but that game has such a core fan base I'm pretty sure most people know everyone on their server by now.

And THAT is why Subs are dieing.

Old, outdated, ignorant, clueless opinions based on not knowing WTF the real world is like. Companies still making sub games are out of touch with the gaming world which is why there hasnt been a single decent sub game in YEARS. EA, Sony, NCSoft, Nexon, Funcom, Turbine have all said it...subscription based games are an old, outdate idea with no real world examples of being more profitable or better in any way shape or form.

DEAL WITH IT. Go log into one of the few MMOs that still have subs and hide your head in the sand while far more gamers around the world have even more fun in their F2P games knowing their will be around far longer than yours.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by jtcgs

And THAT is why Subs are dieing.

Old, outdated, ignorant, clueless opinions based on not knowing WTF the real world is like. Companies still making sub games are out of touch with the gaming world which is why there hasnt been a single decent sub game in YEARS. EA, Sony, NCSoft, Nexon, Funcom, Turbine have all said it...subscription based games are an old, outdate idea with no real world examples of being more profitable or better in any way shape or form.

DEAL WITH IT. Go log into one of the few MMOs that still have subs and hide your head in the sand while far more gamers around the world have even more fun in their F2P games knowing their will be around far longer than yours.

Huh ? Your logic is flawed. The old games still around have hybrid models or are sub-based. You have the option of playing à la carte (and paying more to unlock things), or paying a sub still. If you are a serious fan of the game, chances are you will still be paying a subscription. The hybrid model just gives you a choice about how you want to pay.

Most true fans of a game will not be completely non-paying customers.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427
    To late!
  • swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I enjoyed it at launch, and for a few months afterwards...  A little polish with their beyond 50 storyline, more in depth space adventures, and some fluff housing, vehicles, etc.  Add a few more races as well IMO
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Their worst of both worlds model blows.  If they wanted a sub game they should have kept it a sub game.  Strong arming people into subbing by selling them action bars, the right to wear gear or get loot etc... is just stearing people away.  If they wanted a free to play game they should have done that.  It is sad for me on so many levels.  As a huge Star Wars fan, as a previous fan of Bioware(no longer now that all the talent has left)... it is truly sad to see how poorly they are handling this game.
  • M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    If Bioware wants more subs than they need to allow people the options of talent spec switching.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Originally posted by Coolit

SWTOR will never own 2013 but if they want to have more of an impact in 2013 Bioware/EA need to address the terrible F2P model; it's quite possibly the worst F2P conversion I've ever seen.

Odd....I can't think of any so-called f2p model that is worth what you are paying. Wait...paying...free to play....somehow those two terms are at odds with one another aren't they?

Let's party like it is 1863!

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

- Remove the Origin-like spyware within this game (FYI, this game has the same sh*t as Origin, despite of not using Origin)

- Add neutral items for those who care about the story of their characters. Not everyone want to be like "oh, me Sith, me kill, Kill, kill, kill!!!" or "Oh, poor little thing, poor little empire soldier, oh, poor butterfly.... I'm going to cry"

- Avoid making a expansion that you need to pay in order to play it. We already pay each month, that should be enough. There are many games whose expansions are free. Only wow and swtor come to my mind in terms of greed.