Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chat filter is ridiculous

kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I didn't know there was a chat filter at first.  Had no idea when the racial slurs, various descriptions of sex organs and acts, profanity that there was any kind of filter because nothing was removed.

Finally I did notice when the server refused to send my complete message and replaced most of it with a series of # symbols.

What did I write that finally got the filter into action?  A number.  Not 69 like the community had written upon my immediate login, but 1600.  Apparently, having that number got the rest of my message from that point forward reduced to #s.

So I uninstalled.  Not just because of that, but largely becuase of the toxic community, nonfunctional UI elements, terrible, absolutely terrible, performance in terms of FPS, and other designed annoyances.  With so much broken, and annoying, and clunky, and the community, I can find plenty of better games to spend time with free to play or not.

Comments

• Sauteed_OnionSauteed_Onion Member Posts: 33

Dude, I took 1 look at this game during it's production and saw the lack of clothing on every single female character (not the tiny kid things that's a whole other topic imo), and knew this was going to be that kinda game. This game is ass and all about it. I never played it, and I know that. Some can say don't judge a book by it's cover, but this one ain't covering nothing up anyhow.

Before you ever get suckered into the hype ever in any game, check out the development, and I'm pretty sure it can clue you into what kind of audience they are trying to get. Too many now are trying to paint the industry with games made in the broadest brush stroke possible. This games devs were probably like.. "Hmmm who do we want to play this game.. I know EVERYBODY. Hmm, how do we do that. What do guys want.. CHICKS! yah Chicks! but wait.. don't most mmo's have women? Well.. LET'S MAKE EM Naked WOO! Guys really like naked chicks! Yes! Good idea.. quick quick who else do we want to play this game. People who liked Mike Tyson's Punch out! YEAH!!! that's a great idea.. Let's make Telegraphed combat the IN thing with this game."

Listen to developers in the Q&A's during it's development process, alot of them shy away from the big meat and potato questions.. but they're more than happy to tell you how awesome it's going to be $$$$$$. I don't really feel jived by TERA because they were pretty up front with what the game was, I just am not into logging into a game and knowing about 98% of the player base is going to be horny children and angry young adults running around with mostly naked female avatars sporting a pup tent over some other dude's chick character. And imo, that's what I gleaned from watching everything about this game. If you glean anything from this post, it's that the signs were there, I hope you don't fall into these types of traps in the future in a P2P game.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Funny, I have low-mid range hardware and the game runs superbly with near everything on the highest settings. Every element of the UI works for me, and the community on Celestial Hills is actually pretty decent. Plus I have yet to have anything in my chat filtered.

Oh, and for the person who complained about the female outfits being skimpy, there are a reasonable amount of outfits for the male characters which are skimpy as well.

If you're going to complain about the game, then complain about its legitimate faults, not made-up bullshit. Thanks.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Funny, I have low-mid range hardware and the game runs superbly with near everything on the highest settings. Every element of the UI works for me, and the community on Celestial Hills is actually pretty decent. Plus I have yet to have anything in my chat filtered.

Oh, and for the person who complained about the female outfits being skimpy, there are a reasonable amount of outfits for the male characters which are skimpy as well.

If you're going to complain about the game, then complain about its legitimate faults, not made-up bullshit. Thanks.

Well, the UI element for Claim that kept flashing and telling me I had something to claim, did absolutely nothing when I clicked it, repeatedly.  It was a non-functional button.  I got repeated, massive popups telling me to do things without explanation, such as drink potions while I had just spawned into the tutorial.  Over and over.  That was more annoying than non-functional though.

I don't want a chat filter.  I'm fine with seeing what people write.  Granted my girlfriend who logged in with me at the same time, who normally has thick skin, left the tab with global chat on it within 2 minutes.  It was extreme sexism, racism, profanity.  Probably the worst I've seen in any MMORPG ever when I first logged into this one.  Again though, I'm fine with reading it, my problem with the filter was that it partially censored my message based on the number 1600 and maybe some punctuation?  I really have no idea.

Anyways feel free to tell me your low-mid range hardware, and specify the FPS you get and at what resolution.  Then you can talk without the performance just beeing your feelings about the game.

My hardware at the moment is:

AMD Phenom II 965 - 3.4 GHz quad core processor

two AMD 7970 4 GB graphics cards in Crossfire

512 GB Samsung 940 Pro SSD on SATA 6.0 GB/s

8 Gigabytes of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

I tried resolutions 7680 x 1600, 2560 x 1600, and 1920 x 1080.  I tried maximum preset settings, and eventually dropped it to the "2" level I believe.  Second lowest.  Highest FPS I got in the game were in the low 40s, when I mentioned that in chat people thought I was bragging and mentioned between racial slurs that the game was Unreal based or something, and had terrible performance no matter what.  Lowest FPS I got that was consistent - such as not a sharp drop but steady - were in the upper teens during the tutorial.

So yeah, I'm not making up bullshit.  I found the community horrificly toxic and was shocked that even in the tutorial new players would see the kind of messages that were commonplace.  It is not that I am offended, just very surprised.

I mean I thought WoW had immature players, and then instantly I came across an all time low in community upon logging in.

The players alone make this game worth never returning to.

It's going free to play in less than a month.  Free to play brings in people who are often immature and don't care much.  I'm pretty sure they'll actually improve the existing playerbase though.

Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    [mod edit]

The server itself was denying sending my message as typed - it would give an error message.

I don't even think a client side chat filter was enabled.

I don't want the chat filter at all.

[mod edit]

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

The players alone make this game worth never returning to.

It's going free to play in less than a month.  Free to play brings in people who are often immature and don't care much.  I'm pretty sure they'll actually improve the existing playerbase though.

Immature people are dropping out before 22 because they can't handle the grind.

Global might be a problem if they allow everyone to use it.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    /snip

Well, the UI element for Claim that kept flashing and telling me I had something to claim, did absolutely nothing when I clicked it, repeatedly.  It was a non-functional button.  I got repeated, massive popups telling me to do things without explanation, such as drink potions while I had just spawned into the tutorial.  Over and over.  That was more annoying than non-functional though.

That little claim button you are bitching about is a notice informing you that you have mail (you have to go to the bank in order to read your mail) or you sold something in the Auction House and need to proceed to the same in order to claim your gold.

The UI element does nothing but inform you, so clicking the shit out of it does nothing.

~LTP

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget
    /snip

That little claim button you are bitching about is a notice informing you that you have mail (you have to go to the bank in order to read your mail) or you sold something in the Auction House and need to proceed to the same in order to claim your gold.

The UI element does nothing but imform you so clicking the shit out of it does nothing.

~LTP

It told me to click it.  I'll probably have to screenshot it now won't I?

Also, not sure why I had mail on my very first login, or auction sales, when my girlfriend didn't have the same thing and we logged in within seconds of each other.

Anyways, grabbin screenshot

So I uninstalled.  Not just because of that, but largely becuase of the toxic community, nonfunctional UI elements, terrible, absolutely terrible, performance in terms of FPS, and other designed annoyances.  With so much broken, and annoying, and clunky, and the community, I can find plenty of better games to spend time with free to play or not.

I'm sorry but half your post is BS,  The UI works fine.  The problem is YOU don't know what your doing.  Performance is fine, I have an i-5 760 w/ 6850 and 8GBs of ram and I pull 50fps at max settings.  Yes my system is dated to todays standards and it still runs this game.

And about the community,  Dude where have you been!  its the same as in every single MMO to date.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

/snip

The UI element does nothing but inform you, so clicking the shit out of it does nothing.

~LTP

Well, logged back in and the button was gone.  I found the claim section since I knew it was not mail or auction, and there was some sort of item pack in there.  The icon for claim looked nothing like the button I remembered.

I also have no idea why it would tell me I have claims, and not just open the claim window?  Why just sit there?

Anyways, in the few minutes I was just logged in I did take a screenshot, here it is:

TERA chat

Seems the players aren't nearly as toxic or outrageous as they were earlier.  Glad to see they significantly calmed down, and no I am not being sarcastic.

Anyways if it is a notification button, it is probably functional but just terribly designed.  My FPS when I logged in were still bad, 28-35.  Playable for some games, sure, but a fast action game when there was nothing going on and I was looking mostly at the ground?  heh

I'm sorry but half your post is BS,  The UI works fine.  The problem is YOU don't know what your doing.  Performance is fine, I have an i-5 760 w/ 6850 and 8GBs of ram and I pull 50fps at max settings.  Yes my system is dated to todays standards and it still runs this game.

And about the community,  Dude where have you been!  its the same as in every single MMO to date.

The community in this game was the worst I have ever encountered.

It also, obviously, was the worst I've ever seen so soon after logging in for the first time.  The difference is immense.

It's fun though that you blame me for it all, say its BS.  I take it you do play ;)

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    ()

(...) My FPS when I logged in were still bad, 28-35.  Playable for some games, sure, but a fast action game when there was nothing going on and I was looking mostly at the ground?  heh

Saw your post up above. The AMD CPU I had was shit and gave me nothing but grief.

This is my post from some time ago when I was at my wits' end because of my PC's performance.

What did I do in the end? I upgraded to an i5 2500k and overclocked it to 4.5 GHz. Best decision I've made in years. I've gotten so much gaming pleasure out of it not only in TERA but in other games as well.

The community in this game was the worst I have ever encountered.

It also, obviously, was the worst I've ever seen so soon after logging in for the first time.  The difference is immense.

It's fun though that you blame me for it all, say its BS.  I take it you do play ;)

Look the community is harsh, esp at night lol but its no different than any other game, thats just the way it is now days sadly.  Now their are two options that a publisher can do to clean up chat,  One is to install a filter that makes it imposible to chat or they can have no filter and let the community control it via chat tab options and reporting abusers.  EmE choose to do the later.

As for myself I tend to stick to Area chat / Party chat / and Guild chat and only venture into Global when its toned down a bit in order to answer a few questions that people have.

Lets me make one thing clear, I do not blame you for the chat because you are correct, its quite harsh at times.  But performance and UI issues are on you.

Originally posted by NBlitz
    ()

(...) My FPS when I logged in were still bad, 28-35.  Playable for some games, sure, but a fast action game when there was nothing going on and I was looking mostly at the ground?  heh

Saw your post up above. The AMD CPU I had was shit and gave me nothing but grief.

This is my post from some time ago when I was at my wits' end because of my PC's performance.

What did I do in the end? I upgraded to an i5 2500k and overclocked it to 4.5 GHz. Best decision I've made in years. I've gotten so much gaming pleasure out of it not only in TERA but in other games as well.

Ah.  So what resolution do you play the game at, and what kind of FPS do you see in TERA?

Bear in mind if those specs you linked to are current (besides CPU), then each of my two graphics cards are better, my SSD likely faster, and our RAM likely close in performance.

Look the community is harsh, esp at night lol but its no different than any other game, thats just the way it is now days sadly.  Now their are two options that a publisher can do to clean up chat,  One is to install a filter that makes it imposible to chat or they can have no filter and let the community control it via chat tab options and reporting abusers.  EmE choose to do the later.

As for myself I tend to stick to Area chat / Party chat / and Guild chat and only venture into Global when its toned down a bit in order to answer a few questions that people have.

Lets me make one thing clear, I do not blame you for the chat because you are correct, its quite harsh at times.  But performance and UI issues are on you.

I suppose it is no longer night here, 4am, but yeah they were pretty... intense earlier lol.

The people I managed to get something out of in chat were the ones saying the Unreal engine was to blame, that my 40FPS comment was bragging because the game was slow in general, and how 30 FPS was high end and that nothing more was needed anyways.  I mean, that's what they said about the performance, I was just experiencing it as well.  I think they just came to accept it.

The UI being clunky misleading cluttered intrusive and annoying is my opinion, yes.  Considering I've played a fair amount of EVE, and found this UI very unwieldy though... *shrugs*

let me ask you this - Who gets over 200 FPS regularly in TERA and what are their specs?  That is the low end of my FPS for another action game, and about average for EVE.  Even with Crysis 1 and 2 I get more FPS than TERA, and with fewer large drops...

Well, 4am.  Time to sleep.  I'll consider spending a few hours with TERA tomorrow, just screenshotting the chat window of the things players say.  Thinking of adding it to an online photo album.

lol maybe that huge thread on sexism in gaming would get a kick out of dozens of real world examples courtesy of the TERA community.

Night gents

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    ()

Ah.  So what resolution do you play the game at,

1920x1080

and what kind of FPS do you see in TERA?

I have everything maxed out and forcing AA at 4xEQ. I'll log my peformance once I get in-game. The highest FPS I got before forcing AA was 80 FPS which is the cap in TERA. I read somewhere it was 90 but I think it's 80.

Bear in mind if those specs you linked to are current (besides CPU),

My current specs are:

HIS 7970 IceQ X2 GHz Edition 3072MB GDDR5  | H797QMC3G2M

Intel Core i5 2500K (@4.5GHz) + Noctua NH-D14

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 + Corsair XMS CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 (2x for a total of 8GB)

I run the games I'm currently playing off of a Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD1 Slim 128GB.

Edit: good night :)

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Well, 4am.  Time to sleep.  I'll consider spending a few hours with TERA tomorrow, just screenshotting the chat window of the things players say.  Thinking of adding it to an online photo album.

lol maybe that huge thread on sexism in gaming would get a kick out of dozens of real world examples courtesy of the TERA community.

Night gents

It's a global chat with no restrictions, it spans across the entire game between thousands of players and the mods are really light on the banhammer, ive seen people call a mod a retard to his face after the mod told him to stop doing something and he was still being a retard in global 5 mins later.

Given the same circumstances, any MMOs global chat, if they even had one, would look like that or worse. The glory of it all is that you can participate in it or turn it off. Whatever suits your interest.

As for the censor it's a little weird, it doesn't censor any of the normal curse words it only censors sexual things like cock/pussy/cunt, racial things like the "N" word and chink and offensive terms like "fag" or "faggot".

Everything else is good to go, piss, shit, moron, fuck, bitch, etc, etc.

Oh I love it, your defense of "skimpy" female outfits is it's ok cause the guys have skimpy outfits too? No I'm not making it up. Just have a gander at the "teaser" trailers for this game. I'm telling you I didn't play this game (and won't) cause I could see very early on what this game was about, and didn't like it. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer things like Ultima Online where people actually wear clothes. (And I haven't played that in a while either).

I'd also like to add, I'm giving advice to the OP if this is the kinda game he'd like to avoid in the future what to look for.

-Way after thought, on the subject of general chat though; I don't have a problem with any of it in any game I've played, and don't find that's a reasonable thing to hold against a game itself. That's like saying you couldn't go to work cause there are ugly people there. You can get a new job or just find some convincing way of getting the ugly people fired or suck it up and see they are all over the place and no where you're going to go is going to be free of them. If the game is good enough on it's own merits, you can usually turn it off and still have an enjoyable experience. If it's like Aion andyou think you need general chat for group finding, just open up the Group Finder box thing and look around for a group you may want to join, or turn on LFG chat long enough to do what you gotta do and skidaddle out of it.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Sauteed_Onion

Oh I love it, your defense of "skimpy" female outfits is it's ok cause the guys have skimpy outfits too? No I'm not making it up. Just have a gander at the "teaser" trailers for this game. I'm telling you I didn't play this game (and won't) cause I could see very early on what this game was about, and didn't like it. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer things like Ultima Online where people actually wear clothes. (And I haven't played that in a while either).

But they do wear clothes...

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Unless of course you want to play castanic... then I guess they don't wear clothes. Lol.

Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Sauteed_Onion

But they do wear clothes...

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Unless of course you want to play castanic... then I guess they don't wear clothes. Lol.

If this is something you got to log into and play the game to see, that's one thing, every single scrap of anything I watched while it was being developed was some naked chick fighting some unreasonably bizarre monster thing with over the top jumps and booty jiggling to rival any pole dancer's wildest night. And I followed this game til I started to see a trend with the teasers. One could wonder why the hell I'm even in the forum now, I wanted to see how it was doing, and saw the top post about a chat filter being rediculous and I actually read the post. I told the guy the signs were there, and he should have known what he was getting into. I've gone on to say holding a games "world" chat against the game isn't a reasonable thing to do.

Also, middle bottom girl looks the coolest in that set.

http://youtu.be/uP4kVwEAuwU

Now that may be some fans' idea of what TERA is about or whatever, but this is what was all over about the game, mostly naked women (I don't know or care what the races are, or why they're naked and various levels of mostly nudeness); along with some almost convincing videos of combat and telegraphing the monsters were going to do to alert you about when to move out of the way of the super move. Those almost had me, I liked Mike Tyson's punchout, alot and that's what it instantly reminded me of. I just knew the people who'd be all over this game; and the overall look of it just wasn't my bag. Hell, if you're feeling bored and need to give me a few reasons why I should pick the game up, I'd love to listen to them. I'm very happy Pivotelite showed me a few pictures of not naked women; and I must say again, bottom middle girl is looking pretty awesome.

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

I don't know what the whole fuss over this game is about anymore in this thread.  After reading everyone's statements and claims to what they've seen, heard, believe, or know about the game, seems to be extremely different than how I'm seeing and currently playing the game right now.

I bought TERA standard edition when it was in beta who knows when years ago.  I never actually played the game (except for closed beta) until now.  I log into the game, castanic male priest, and just have a go at the game with an open mind.  I was totally into it, I got to around level 25 in one sitting. Pretty nice overall, until I got to the next zone in lumbertown where there were a lot of players and had a huge hit to my fps, down to about 15-20.  I was playing smoothly up to that point, and eventually did a lot of tweaking (which I'll post below) and now have a constant 45-70 fps at all times.  I'll show you 2 guides I followed that greatly increased my fps without sacrificing very much at the end of the post assuming you read this whole thing.

Chat:

Any game that is going to have Global chat, no matter where you are 24/7 with very little restrictions is of course going to be ruled by children, who are just learning the meaning and impact of curse words, and want to do as they please unmonitored by their mommies.  Honestly, if you are going to whine so hard about chat and negative attitudes, you have got to be new this decade of internet.  No matter what game you play, trolls, jerks, kids, racists, supremecists, you name it, will exist, and can ruin your experience.  My advice; turn off global chat.... Find a good that you can associate with, make friends there, or play with already existing friends.  I had 2 of my good friends to play with, we skype and have fun.  Within my first 10 levels of playing, I found a guild recruitment message that sounded friendly and fun so I joined.  So far I've made a handful of aquaintances and a few other friends to talk and play with.  It's as simple as that.  People raging against the community just because global chat is a child's playground, doesn't make the entire game or social experience bad.

Outfits:

To those of you whining about you don't like Tera because of the art style of the clothing and options, specially those half-naked ones, get over it.  Remember, the game was created by Koreans, for Koreans.  I'm not sure I've ever seen or played any other Korean game that didn't also showcase half nude men/women suited up for battle.  If I can recall, there were some fairly skimpy outfits in both Guild Wars 1 and 2, just google image female armor sets and have a looksee.  I don't honestly find that outfits that don't cover your entire body should be any reason not to play a game, besides, there are armor sets that do fully cover your body, and a system that lets you use any armor design you'd like as a template over another.  You aren't forced to wear that skimpy outfit unless you want to <<<guilty.

UI:

I have yet to have any problems with the UI.  you can fully customize the size and move around fully every UI element in the game.  In the options, you can set a value to what you want a certain UI element's size to be.  I shrunk my minimap to about 75, my skillbar to about 85, and increased healthbar size to around 110 so that it all fits nicely like a game of Tetris on my screen so that I can view everything neat and organized how I want it to be.  At least I don't have to download 10 different addons to have different customized looks like in WoW, or have no customization options at all like a bunch of other MMO's out there today.

Anyways, here's 2 links that should help you get a definite improvement to your performance issues, assuming you are still going to try out this game again before rage quitting over false pretenses.

https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=115639

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/02/tera-online-ini-performance-tweaks.html

And with your performance, your comp is literally 5x better than my 5 year old, AMD comp, and I get constant 40-70 fps because of these guides.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor  ~3.4GHz

8gb ram

ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

1366x768 resolution

TL;DR    Sorry that all of your first impressions of this game seem to be terrible, but mine was fantastic and I hope you all would really give the game a fighting chance, and read this post as my experience thus far is nothing compared to some of your stories and experiences.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

I am actually enjoying the game.  I am playing the endless trial or whatever it is, and might continue on and even spend some cash in the shop.  having said that I play all games casually and am also playing AION, L2, and EQ.  So, its not like I think this game is great or will be playing long term even...but for now, for free -- im having some fun. 

On to my main point, I started playing MMOs in '99 with EQ and have played many since then, and there is no question, the community (judging by global chat) in this game is pathetic.

basically the older games have the more mature playerbases from my opinion/experience.  as far as TERA is concerned the amount, extent and non-stop immature silliness exhibited  by some of the players in this game is impressive to me, as this is not my first MMO or my first day on the internet.  its almost unreal, its like these kids are paid to troll global chat in this game NONSTOP.    regardless, I am a very antisocial player in online games so it wont stop me from playing.