Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Further Perfecting Your Character's Look

2»

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

The character customization does not only include character's looks for D&D. We need to know more about stats, paragon paths and stuff like - are builds locked? etc.

The looks department is always best with cryptic games so it is not suprizing that it might as well be even better than their previous games (though I wonder it can't be better than before for we already have so many sliders to make any face and body type we want).

Regarding stats and stuff, a few hints on Damage Mitigation, crit% etc were dropped but it was not discussed in detail. That part is important.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Grym
    I have to say, I'm not feeling the graphics on the available screenshots/gameplay vids.  Also, sounds like yet another loot centric game.  Losing interest in this one rather quickly.

D&D has always been about the loot, I remember the first time I found a +4 Vorpal Sword thanks to my good friend Monty Hall the DM.

The PnP loot system was more quality then quanity. What crypitic has presented here is the standard loot treadmill that is in every MMO on the market. No need to make up poems about my newly looted sword if it is going to be replaced in the next quest. In PnP everyone remembers where they got their first sword or trinket even after 20+ years. Neverwinter's loot system is about as memorable as what I had for breakfast. Absolutely nothing to write home about. Easy come and easy go.

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

Will MMO players ever learn?  This is from Cryptic, you will get excellent character customisation but the game will COH, STO with neverwinter skins, they just recycle the same old thing with new skins every other year.  I will never touch another Cryptic product, they are just dreadful.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Mackeh

Will MMO players ever learn?  This is from Cryptic, you will get excellent character customisation but the game will COH, STO with neverwinter skins, they just recycle the same old thing with new skins every other year.  I will never touch another Cryptic product, they are just dreadful.

CoH, Champs Online, and STO are all in their camp.

Need to clarify thath the development cycle on those games wasn't particularly their fault though. Because of the original publishers (2K and P2) backing out of Champs and STO, Cryptic ended up turning to another publisher (Atari) who funded for the game's release, but didn't spport development of it's engine and had a contracted release schedule.

If you haven't noticed Cryptic with their new publisher (Perfect World) has had a longer time to work on Neverwinter and they have been doing quite a bit on the backend with the engine to make things look and perform better. PW has actually given Cryptic the time and money they need for the most part to be getting this title done to the best the studio can muster.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by Terrornaut

"Hey, are MMO HAS ARMOR GUYS! YOU GET TO EQUIP STUFF AND IT MATTERS. THIS IS SO NEW AND EXCITING!"

Please stop talking to us like we're 4 year old idiots who've never seen an MMO or played an RPG.  Its like MMO tutorials. Holy hell.

Being involved with the gaming industry on both sides, developer and consumer, is frustrating.  When we can stop treating everyone like inexperienced dolts and make some real leaps, things will get interesting.  Unfortunately we're bound to taking abysmal, safe baby steps due to the way financing works.

Well you certainly said something important... ``The way fianacing Works``  and as such you can't shove alot of new stuff to customers and expect the masses to accept it, that why in gaming small innovation/tweaks and a large "more of the same" formula get  repeated so often. You need more safe bet than anthing else i guess..

• DKTuesdayDKTuesday Member UncommonPosts: 15
    You forget this is based on the second dev blog about customization in NV.  The first dev blog talked about the physical appearance, stats, racial features, etc.  So before you go thinking this is the end all be all to the customization in the game, how about you actually look instead of making opinions based on just what you think and not was has actually been said.  MMORPG.com community I swear...

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138

If i didn't know that cryptic usually have powerful character customizations in their game, i'd say that topic is very generic, nothing standing out in what has been said, all re-hashed stuff from many, many other games.

Still looking forward to play the game, but the topic is rather bland in my opinion.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    If STO is any indication on how they'll handle stats I'm all for it. General stats that can universally be combined in different combinations not locked into a particular role in a class is more fun. We need wizards. thieves and clerics that can tank for example. I'm hoping they do just that.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I can choose between power and armor pen you say!!??!?! There's even dodge, parry and block .. erm I mean defense, deflect and ... oh wait ...

and these come as statistics ON the armor itself??!!?! thats amazing!!!

There are enhancement slots you say?!?!? I can't believe no one has ever though of that.

So what you are saying is that this is just another gear grind?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by azmundai

I can choose between power and armor pen you say!!??!?! There's even dodge, parry and block .. erm I mean defense, deflect and ... oh wait ...

and these come as statistics ON the armor itself??!!?! thats amazing!!!

There are enhancement slots you say?!?!? I can't believe no one has ever though of that.

So what you are saying is that this is just another gear grind?

No it'll probably be worst than that, just check Cryptic Studio's previous games if you got time to waste.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Character customization is probably dead last of things I look for in a MMO.....I could care less if my character has dimples, eyelases, green eyes, ski slope nose, etc.....99.99999999999% of the time I'm staring at its ass or the back of its head so what do I care what my character looks like?
  • kaungstkaungst Member Posts: 28

I played the last beta weekend, and i am really looking forward to launch! I loved it utterly. The character creation was less than CoH true, but I prefer to earn my gear anyway. CoH didnt have enough of that. BTW I was a DIE HARD 8 year vet of Coh and miss it a lot. And I have faith in This game. it was fun, graphics were nice and the gameplay and story worked well for me. 

That being said, I am completely happy with the progress!!!