Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wushu is not Sandbox

I keep seeing people calling this game a sandbox game and after playing all day today I saw that this game has nothing to do with sandbox.

From the start till the end(all day) all I saw was daisy chained quests and they were so stupid you don't have to read or figure out anything you simply click on NPC name or place where you have to go for the quest then just go to a bathroom break or smoke cause your character will go there autorunning.

Looks like a fun solo/single player game cause if you want to PvP at all you have to pay more then you make by working in real life.

edit: I say that cause anything that you want to do like skill up or have cultivation work for you as you're offline or even have a shop when you're offline it sends you from the game to their website to buy with real money.

Comments

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura

I keep seeing people calling this game a sandbox game and after playing all day today I saw that this game has nothing to do with sandbox.

From the start till the end(all day) all I saw was daisy chained quests and they were so stupid you don't have to read or figure out anything you simply click on NPC name or place where you have to go for the quest then just go to a bathroom break or smoke cause your character will go there autorunning.

Looks like a fun solo/single player game cause if you want to PvP at all you have to pay more then you make by working in real life.

Sound like EVE Online. Pick up mission from NPC, click autopilot, bathroom break or smoke.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Divona

Sound like EVE Online. Pick up mission from NPC, click autopilot, bathroom break or smoke.

Never played Eve, all I play are fantasy MMORPG the rest not interested.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

You dont have to do quests lol. Nor do you even have to kill anything to level up in this game.

And who says quests arent in sandbox games? Every sandbox i have played from my first to this has had quests, story, and more. THink people are working too hard to try to claim it as a themepark like they are doing with Archeage.

People need to go read up on sandboxes and then understand anything themepark can easily be in a sandbox, and doesnt make it a hybrid or a themepark. Since a sandbox does everything a themepark does and then some.

There is no clear cut way a sandbox has to be, long as there is freedom, choice, and openess. Which AOW has.

Originally posted by Onomas

You dont have to do quests lol. Nor do you even have to kill anything to level up in this game.

And who says quests arent in sandbox games? Every sandbox i have played from my first to this has had quests, story, and more. THink people are working too hard to try to claim it as a themepark like they are doing with Archeage.

People need to go read up on sandboxes and then understand anything themepark can easily be in a sandbox, and doesnt make it a hybrid or a themepark. Since a sandbox does everything a themepark does and then some.

There is no clear cut way a sandbox has to be, long as there is freedom, choice, and openess. Which AOW has.

How this game differs from all the asian free2play trash out there cause I didn't see any difference.

Also prepare to pay mad money cause its a PvP game and cashshop heavy.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

So...

- Take a sandbox game

- Put a good amount of quests in it.

- It's not a sandbox game anymore???

Now, I know the definition of "sandbox"  changes from one player to the other, but surely it's more than "a lack of quests"?

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Paying money in the cash shop does nothing to help you in pvp that playing the game can't. I bought deluxe so I could skill while offline and that's it. I've got all my money from mining and selling it in my offline shop then buy gear with that. You obviously have no clue what your talking about so stop spreading completely false information.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

Originally posted by Sicc1
    Paying money in the cash shop does nothing to help you in pvp that playing the game can't. I bought deluxe so I could skill while offline and that's it. I've got all my money from mining and selling it in my offline shop then buy gear with that. You obviously have no clue what your talking about so stop spreading completely false information.

I have to spend mad time while you're getting what I want without even playing or being online and that cash shop is not important???

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    I liked this game for about  48 hours... It is not a sandbox...

If this game is a sandbox every game and I mean it every game single player or online is sandbox.

By the way I tried yesterday Mortal Online and yes that was sandbox.

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73

This game is FAR from a sandbox. Just another korean grindfest.

You want a true sandbox wait for tirion's Archeage.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by DarkVergil

Thats funny. Considering AA is another korean "grindfest". And AOW is about as open as AA. AA has quests and story just like AOW. In AOW i can run across map, in AA i can run across map. Indpeth crafting system for both.

In AOW you can level all the way to the top without even lifting a finger due to cultivation, but its a grindfest?

People are saying AOW is pay to win, though i looked in the cash shop and dont see anything usable for pvp.

So this game isnt a sandbox but AA is? Granted AA has way more features, but AOW still needs fixed up.

Are you sure you guys know what a sandbox is, because many here are making some wild statements but nothing to back them up.

This is not your average cookie cutter themepark, in the slightest.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but the questions brought up make me wonder. What sort of "Sandbox" player interaction is in this game, that does not include PvP? 

Sorry if the question seems out of context. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but the questions brought up make me wonder. What sort of "Sandbox" player interaction is in this game, that does not include PvP? 

100% player driven economy, crafting that requires the crafting talents of others.  You won't be buying all of your mats from a "vendor".  Player justice/retribution for criminals.  I'm sure there is a full ist of features listed somewhere.  It's a hybrid, but it leans heavily on the sandbox side.  The OP's kneejerk reaction is normal since the game doesn't give the best first impression and isn't for everybody.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

edit: I say that cause anything that you want to do like skill up or have cultivation work for you as you're offline or even have a shop when you're offline it sends you from the game to their website to buy with real money.

Your first couple hours is tutorial lol (really laughing). Everything you said is true of the first couple hours.  

My first couple were the same. Kept going cause I had nothing bettter to do. I haven't did a quest since then. 

You are able to pvp after about the 1st hour. After the tutorial this game is no less sand box than EVE. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by eyelolled

No perfectly fair question. 

The best way for me to answer is terraforming and player house (there is open world upgradable guild housing though). Are just about the only things not availible.The entire game is player driven with soft rules that form culture and polotics. 

There is nothing forcing you to do anything. It's just a big game where your free to go any direction, progress and prosper. The best way to ask your question is by asking can you do x,y,z.

• maxkill42maxkill42 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    All us smokers do need that all important smoke break every once and a while...
  • Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    The offline skilling only requires the deluxe edition for $20 which lasts 60 days. Has nothing to do with purchasing from the cash shop and that's cheaper then a 60 day sub from most games.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himurathat cash shop is not important???

Name me one item in that cash shop that helps you in a fight. Just one.

Is the midriff showing female dress? Or the hat that comes over your eyes?

Maybe...maybe a horse helps you get around to the fight quicker...but those are sold in game by many people (players and npc vendors)

Anything else? That awesome potion of kill everything? Oh wait there is no such thing in the cash shop. The Sword of Green Destiny? Yea that would be OP but it is not in the cash shop.

People who complaign about the translations may have a point, people who talk about silver from gold may have a point...people who talk about the cash shop are trolling and have never looked in said cash shop before.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

It doesn't have in depth crafting either.  From first look, it seemed like it was in depth crafting but the system feels incomplete.  I played for about 3 weeks with hopes that this game would scratch the crafting itch I've carried around since pre CU SWG and it falls very, very short.

The beginning items that you can craft in any of the professions are not really items that anyone needs.  Other than bags, boxes and bread... everything that lower crafters can create are items that are easily found in the game and nobody needs a crafter to make them.  Once you get better at your chosen craft, new recipes (are very limited) can only be obtained through drops in instances... which require a group.  i can't just craft.  Why can't I just CRAFT damnit.

Harvestables... Farming:  you can farm about 30 different items, 7 of which are actually items that other players want or need.  Fishing, same thing... fish scales sell, fish bones, bladders, meat, tails, eyes do not sell.  Hunting, of a huge diverse list of about 150 items you can skin and loot from animals in the world, players use and will buy about 6.  Mining - Ore seems to sell relatively well, thanks to the open world pvp, guild and school battles... everyone wants better weapons and the way to obtain those is from Weaponsmiths.  Herbalists can sell one flower and one herb out of a ton that are pickable... Poison makers can sell one flower as far as I could tell.

The hottest commodity in game seems to be the skill books which can be looted.  You can learn other schools books to a certain level and all the 'flying' books sell really well.  Books are not craftable, painters and scholars can help you combine pages into readable books.

The game has depth because everything is ... deeper than a normal themepark game where a monkey can run around from ! to !.  It also has a bit of a language barrier to entry where most of the frames in game were made for chinese lettering and English just runs right off the page.  Trying to figure out what the hell is going on is half the battle throughout pretty much every system in the game.  There is more to it than your average North American MMO though, that is for sure.

My favorite parts were jumping and flying around and learning the harvesting/crafting system.  Also, protecting my schools scrolls from other players was fun.  I really WISH the crafting/harvesting/open market system was as robust and awesome as it looks first glance.  Age of "Wishu had a good crafting game".

No bitchers.

• dennisfxddennisfxd Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by DarkVergil

People are saying AOW is pay to win, though i looked in the cash shop and dont see anything usable for pvp.

Do you know you can use real life money to buy gold, then convert it into silver?

In AOW, silver is the only currency that can be used in trading between players, and it can help you cultivate your skills, buy better gears, medicines, skill books, hell, you can even buy people's life with silver (bounties).

Originally posted by Rinna

It doesn't have in depth crafting either.  From first look, it seemed like it was in depth crafting but the system feels incomplete.  I played for about 3 weeks with hopes that this game would scratch the crafting itch I've carried around since pre CU SWG and it falls very, very short.

The beginning items that you can craft in any of the professions are not really items that anyone needs.  Other than bags, boxes and bread... everything that lower crafters can create are items that are easily found in the game and nobody needs a crafter to make them.  Once you get better at your chosen craft, new recipes (are very limited) can only be obtained through drops in instances... which require a group.  i can't just craft.  Why can't I just CRAFT damnit.

Well since weapons, poisons, pills, handles, life skill scripts and hundreds of other things don't drop anywhere low level crafters can do pretty damn good, by making components and farming.

right now I'm looking at 25 pages of low level recipes. 7 items per page 90% about 5 to 15 silver. You do not in any way shape or form have to do an instance to get something. Why not pay the 10 silver instaed of doing an instance and hoping on a drop and a roll?

Why can't you just craft?

Harvestables... Farming:  you can farm about 30 different items, 7 of which are actually items that other players want or need.  Fishing, same thing... fish scales sell, fish bones, bladders, meat, tails, eyes do not sell.  Hunting, of a huge diverse list of about 150 items you can skin and loot from animals in the world, players use and will buy about 6.  Mining - Ore seems to sell relatively well, thanks to the open world pvp, guild and school battles... everyone wants better weapons and the way to obtain those is from Weaponsmiths.  Herbalists can sell one flower and one herb out of a ton that are pickable... Poison makers can sell one flower as far as I could tell.

I don't farm, but I made poisons. Remeber we are only playing about 33% of the game. There are materials we can get, but no recipe to make them yet.

The hottest commodity in game seems to be the skill books which can be looted.  You can learn other schools books to a certain level and all the 'flying' books sell really well.  Books are not craftable, painters and scholars can help you combine pages into readable books.

yep

The game has depth because everything is ... deeper than a normal themepark game where a monkey can run around from ! to !.  It also has a bit of a language barrier to entry where most of the frames in game were made for chinese lettering and English just runs right off the page.  Trying to figure out what the hell is going on is half the battle throughout pretty much every system in the game.  There is more to it than your average North American MMO though, that is for sure.

fair enough lol

My favorite parts were jumping and flying around and learning the harvesting/crafting system.  Also, protecting my schools scrolls from other players was fun.  I really WISH the crafting/harvesting/open market system was as robust and awesome as it looks first glance.  Age of "Wishu had a good crafting game".

Wait till they put the other 66% of the game in ;)

Nice post, I feel like arguing... that's all

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

If that's true about only 33% of the game being 'in' then I might eventually be back 'in'... but if it's been out for 2+ years in China, what is preventing the whole game from being here now?  

Oh, and I did buy the 3 tailoring recipes that I found on player stores, but I never found any additional recipes.  I'm fine with buying them from people that run instances and loot them.  I just never found any past those 3.

No bitchers.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

OP, perhaps you should play more than the tutorial before making these claims?

Your post comes off as very uninformed, and reminds me of someone who's played 3 hours of EVE and complain that there's nothing to do.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

LOL played whole day doing only quests :D:D good job man

start farming mini instances, each drop like 10 recipes maybe more, some are very important in future, in chinese server some of them were selling for 100L as a lot people needed them for quests for 3rd internal

I think its like 18% of what chinese version have and its still rising, NA version have more than You see, but they blocking it atm

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

What makes this game a sandbox, someone care to explain?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

This discussion has been closed.