Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Out of curiousity.

Another thread made me wonder this. And I am sure there was another poll for it at some point, but humor us.

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I love good lore, interesting characters/factions and when I find something enjoyable, I really look for more and talk to as many npcs as possible.

Sadly, most quest text is boring and generic.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I dont need to read 2 pages of text to tell me to go kill 10 pigs or go gather 10 flowers.   Most MMO's lore is pretty shallow anyway.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I find that if I'm in a group, no one has time to read anything but the most essential points of what to do and where. Cutscenes are better here.

EDIT: Or better yet, storytelling imbedded into gameplay.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    It depends entirely on the game. If the world is immersive, and the questing mechanics reinforce it, then definitely.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    If an MMO has an actual storyline then yes but if you conider me reading text for 100's or even 1000's of quests "storyline" then no I wont read it.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

I gave up on Themepark games before they even began (EQ development). But I have played a few, mainly since my son bought some (before he gave up on them too).

I wanted to get into the quests and the lore and all that, but realizing that it doesn't make one bit of difference I lost all interest in reading them. I was just pushing levels so I could see the next skills in action.

It's a shame too. Some of the writing and story was well done. But it just didn't have any meaning. It didn't matter.

Once upon a time....

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Would be nice to see chain quests make a comeback in MMORPG's.

Personally, I feel that's one way to make quests worth reading. Otherwise...as most of you have said....quests are generic with too much text to expain why Mortimer needs 20 rat pelts. But if they had purpose...especially an on going purpose....I think that would make them worth the time.

I remember..vividly, a quest in Rift that did such a thing and has stuck with me You scaled  a tower fighting bad guys the whole way up...once at the top, it zoomed just over the shoulder as you kicked in the door and proceeded with the quest into a fight. Was a nice change and much more engaging and immersive. Especially if the outcome could have an impact. Maybe give different options of what to do during the quest which could alter the outcome.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

If the quests are well designed I will read them.  The Secret World was a great example where the dialogue really had little to do with what your task was going to be, but it was entertaining enough that I would watch them all the first playthrough.

No voice acting, poorly written, mundane tasks - forget that, its marked on my map with a big arrow directing me anyway.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386
    I was spoiled with EQs epic quests and have been extremely disappointed with most quests since then. If I have to quest in any newer game I just click thru it as quickly as possible until I can get back into a dungeon and start having fun again.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Unless the game gives me a reason to read it I will skip it....
  • Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Murashu
    I was spoiled with EQs epic quests and have been extremely disappointed with most quests since then. If I have to quest in any newer game I just click thru it as quickly as possible until I can get back into a dungeon and start having fun again.

Aye...same here. Epic quests in EQ were just that...epic. Long and story driven...with an outcome worth the time and effort put into it.

Another big issue I have with most quests today...eh, take Vanguard:SoH for instance. Some of the quests are long and tough (Mainly because grouping is a chore to get and soloing can be done, but longer and harder to do as it should be). The quest reward ends up being garbage.

Especially in games where you out level the usefulness of most quest rewards.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I'll give it a couple of days. Those first couple of days, I'll read them. After that, if they're consistenly dull, I'll start hitting the "get quest" button immediately. :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I always start out reading them, but my continuation beyond the first dozen or so depends on whether they have any bearing on my character's life in the game world or not. In PotBS, I read the quests. In WOW and WAR, I just scrolled down to how many foos I had to kill or widgests I had to collect. In GW2 I paid attention to the quest dialog all the way up until Trahearn showed up. After that, it seemed my personal story stuff was over and I was just there to follow Trahearn around so I just started skipping the dialogs completely.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• xdemonhunterxdemonhunter Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    I dont need to read 2 pages of text to tell me to go kill 10 pigs or go gather 10 flowers.   Most MMO's lore is pretty shallow anyway.

Agreed, i read every single player game quest log but for multiplayer whats the point? The quests are extremely shallow and always involve doing the same thing over and over... Seriously i dont wanna red 20 pages of quests that end with "go kill 20 of these monsters".

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    i don't start playing unless it has a good story. i mean...what's the point? my time isn't THAT worthless to me.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

When quest text has clues that I need to complete a quest, then I'll read it.

When the game trivializes questing to the point where all I have to do is follow the arrow to the highlighted section of the map, and kill six "Wumpus", then there's not much of a reason to read it anymore.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.