Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony feels that F2P is the only way to go with MMO's

Comments

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Take a look at the thread Anybody-for-an-MMO-Questionnaire and it will tell you by looking at the question on how much people have spent in the last 6 months in MMO's why most companies think F2P is the way to go. It is for them by a large margin apparently...as they make MUCH more per month off suckers.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Goatgod76
    Take a look at the thread Anybody-for-an-MMO-Questionnaire and it will tell you by looking at the question on how much people have spent in the last 6 months in MMO's why most companies think F2P is the way to go. It is for them by a large margin apparently...as they make MUCH more per month off suckers.

Its true, people who not only paid for the box, but monthly subscriptions for SWTOR, TSW, AoC, UO and so many others that did poorly, were NOT suckers.

Nope, it was money well spent.

Best part about it, subscriptions were created on a lie...to pay for bandwidth costs that didnt exist...lol

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

Its true, people who not only paid for the box, but monthly subscriptions for SWTOR, TSW, AoC, UO and so many others that did poorly, were NOT suckers.

Nope, it was money well spent.

Best part about it, subscriptions were created on a lie...to pay for bandwidth costs that didnt exist...lol

UO and EQ had player retention...and still do some 13+ years later. Not to mention have tons of content. So yeah, it was money well spent with them.

Where as ones like SWTOR and TSW...or pretty much any other post 2004 MMO...go F2P to make quick money and gobs of it quickly as possible before player numbers fall off enough to close down servers since they know they don't have the mechanics nor content to retain players for the long run.

People who fall for those types of games are suckers. Especially because they could of saved themselves the trouble, wasted time, and money waiting to see reviews and research them themsleves before diving in based on hype and wanting to dip into the newest shiney on the shelf.

My entire 5 years spent in EQ at $14.99 a month (Plus box fees from EQ Original to Gates of Discord *7 expansions* - say box price of $50 each) comes up to $1249.45 and some change. Some players can and do spend much more than that in half the time if not less on F2P types (again, look at that thread at the amounts spent in 6 months for most and add that over 5 years). Which is a better value.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

i'm not sure how attacking P2Ps helps F2Ps but thanks for the fix.

as the 2007+ era thought us, if step 1 includes "crap", then steps 5 and 6 are the same regardless of payment model.

it's not too expensive no matter what model it is. MMOs are the cheap alternative to real entertainment.

If it's too bad to be worth the money and / or time, most often too bad to be worth the TIME, really, it will fail under any model.

There's browser games out there that are 100% free. They're meaningless little distractions that don't have a billion players because the financial model is so great. Next step is them paying us to play...

Agree 100% tyvm

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

If you dont have millions of subscribers, you will make far more with a good F2P offer.

Anyway, before Nexons bid, few took F2P seriously as a money maker...becaue most companies are short-sighted and locked on old thinking and never REALLY LOOKED at what Asian and some European companies were making...I mean come on Runes of Magic was making more money that FUNCOM was making total for 3 YEARS STRAIGHT! One F2P game, making more than every game Funcom had going.

This is complete bs.   Nexon (NA) had 17 milliion in revenue 2011.   That is less than a 100k subscribers between all their games they offer.

Originally posted by thinktank001

If you dont have millions of subscribers, you will make far more with a good F2P offer.

Anyway, before Nexons bid, few took F2P seriously as a money maker...becaue most companies are short-sighted and locked on old thinking and never REALLY LOOKED at what Asian and some European companies were making...I mean come on Runes of Magic was making more money that FUNCOM was making total for 3 YEARS STRAIGHT! One F2P game, making more than every game Funcom had going.

This is complete bs.   Nexon (NA) had 17 milliion in revenue 2011.   That is less than a 100k subscribers between all their games they offer.

This is complete BS. Nexon made a bid on EA...holy crap where did you get 17 million from?!?

Nexon went public on the Tokyo stock exchange in 2011...and had the SECOND LARGEST OPENING for a tech company in HISTORY...only outdone by Facebook. AND they BOUGHT NDOORS for 153.9 MILLION...

2011  = 1.12 BILLION US dollars.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Isturi

In a  Interview  SOE Smedley "says that since the move to free-to-play, SOE has seen a 300 percent increase in new players for EverQuest 2, a 125 percent increase in item sales for EverQuest and a 350 percent bump in overall registrations. Planetside 2, its most recent release, has more than 1.6 million registered users, with 750,000 logging in to play every week."

Notice that the factual references completely omit "Net Profit".  If sales are up 25% but costs up 100%, that's hardly growth.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

i'm not sure how attacking P2Ps helps F2Ps but thanks for the fix.

as the 2007+ era thought us, if step 1 includes "crap", then steps 5 and 6 are the same regardless of payment model.

it's not too expensive no matter what model it is. MMOs are the cheap alternative to real entertainment.

If it's too bad to be worth the money and / or time, most often too bad to be worth the TIME, really, it will fail under any model.

There's browser games out there that are 100% free. They're meaningless little distractions that don't have a billion players because the financial model is so great. Next step is them paying us to play...

Well, I'm not sure how attacking F2Ps helps P2Ps either.

You are basing the idea that a game must be BAD to not be worth paying for and thus all F2Ps must be bad. You dont factor in that people are learning that being charged money per month is a SCAM because the quality of F2P games and B2P games are now matching the BEST P2P games.

[mod edit]

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Actually, PS2 IS meant for the mainstream audience.

If it was not they would not have removed 90% of the mechanics and flair that made PS1 unique, but more niche and ultimatly more fun.

Instead SOE opted to mimic BF and CoD just on a larger scale, and every single mechanic in the game is intended to appeal to the massive FPS kiddies that can't handle a game with any sort of stratetic element.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

This is complete BS. Nexon made a bid on EA...holy crap where did you get 17 million from?!?

Nexon went public on the Tokyo stock exchange in 2011...and had the SECOND LARGEST OPENING for a tech company in HISTORY...only outdone by Facebook. AND they BOUGHT NDOORS for 153.9 MILLION...

Yes, they made over a bil including every single region, but their NA division only made 17 mil.   They are large across the pacific, but their NA and EU division isn't doing so hot.   Why do you think they wanted to purchase EA?   If they can't get a foot hold, then buy someone who already does.

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Rider071

I agree with Smedley (this time). SOE has helped advance the F2P model far beyond what it was 2 years ago. They have made various matrixes for their games, so good, some bad, but definitely new and innovative.

Personally I loved the matrix they held for EQ2:Extended, but they changed that model when they opened F2P to the entire game, which was sad. But hey, they take chances to make the most profit they can in the end.

I play EQ1 as my default game, and I support SOE in buying it's game cards for SOE cash, but once a better game (or hyped game) comes out, I do go and play it...because F2P gives me the freedom to do so, and also because SOE has yet to find the perfect matrix that doesn't make me feel that I'm not able to experience the entire game. Preventing gear without the ability to unlock said gear through payment is definitely a gamestopper for me, as why I have no intention to see end game in EQ1 (my first mmo love).

Currently though I am playing TERA, with their announcement to F2P I purchased the game to become a 'founder'. It was bumbpy getting into the game (those problems solved), but the game is definitely fun, and wel worth the B2P investment so far. Their matrix looks very promising as well.

Honestly, I know many gamers over the years, and I have yet to talk to a single one i know personally that still plays WoW, or subs to any P2P game at all. So not sure where the sub numbers come from for WoW, but i have a very strong feeling that the numbers are false. I just can't understand how anyone would sub to a P2P game when there are so many great F2P games out there today, there really are.

EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, PSP2, DCOU, Aion, Aika, AoC, LotRO, WARTrial, TERA, DDO, Perfect World International, GW1, GW2....just to name a few I have experienced and regularly play. There are so many more, and so many more to come

i still play wow - bought mists of pandaria and subbed :<

nostalgia and curiosity i guess? xD

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by thinktank001 Originally posted by jtcgs If you dont have millions of subscribers, you will make far more with a good F2P offer. Anyway, before Nexons bid, few took F2P seriously as a money maker...becaue most companies are short-sighted and locked on old thinking and never REALLY LOOKED at what Asian and some European companies were making...I mean come on Runes of Magic was making more money that FUNCOM was making total for 3 YEARS STRAIGHT! One F2P game, making more than every game Funcom had going.

Yeah, I know how much they made in 2011.

EA on the other hand made $4.2 billion in revenue. The year before they made $3.8 billion.

EAs digital distribution(PopCap Games, Origin) makes more in year than the entirety of Nexon.

Give it up already, Nexon cant come close to EA.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

No...

Nexon's bid was a joke.

Nexon has made 1.2 billion in profits each of the last two years. EA has been averaging around 1.4 billion a year.

EA is still the largest in the world, Nexon is #2 in the world. They made a bid to get people to actually LOOK at Nexon, and how they got where they did to shake up the MMO world, they are the reason why so many companies in the genre took a serious look at the F2P market, and saw that the real money is not in the subscription field unless you have a massive product like WoW.

EA is not the largest in the world.  EA is currently the third largest video game publisher in the world.  Nintendo and Activision/Blizzard are larger at the moment in terms of annual revenue.  Sony and Microsoft Games are also very close, if not larger by now.

I don't believe EA was ever the largest.  They were second at one point behind Nintendo.  They used to be the largest game publisher in the US though.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by XAPGames
    Originally posted by Isturi In a  Interview  SOE Smedley "says that since the move to free-to-play, SOE has seen a 300 percent increase in new players for EverQuest 2, a 125 percent increase in item sales for EverQuest and a 350 percent bump in overall registrations. Planetside 2, its most recent release, has more than 1.6 million registered users, with 750,000 logging in to play every week."
    Notice that the factual references completely omit "Net Profit".  If sales are up 25% but costs up 100%, that's hardly growth.

Yes exactly. Smed presented more misinformation than information. "Hey the plane crashed, but the good news is 100% of the survivors are alive. Bad news is, there were no survivors."

So many good posts in this thread. /waves all.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Those who dont see pay to play going anywhere are the same children who dont see a house payment, nor bar tabs.

Most mmorpg players have no problem wanting to spend $15~$20/month on their game. It is only those ultra-wannabe casual children who dont wish to subscribe to anything... cuz their so neurotic, they cant sit still for one game.

$240/ year is peanuts to an advid gamer... too much to an adolecent who doesnt have an income.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Originally posted by Phelcher
    Those who dont see pay to play going anywhere are the same children who dont see a house payment, nor bar tabs.

Most mmorpg players have no problem wanting to spend $15~$20/month on their game. It is only those ultra-wannabe casual children who dont wish to subscribe to anything... cuz their so neurotic, they cant sit still for one game.

$240/ year is peanuts to an advid gamer... too much to an adolecent who doesnt have an income.

Cant argue logic.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Phelcher

I have a mortgage, I don't have a bar tab.  I have no issues with f2p. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

In a  Interview  SOE Smedley "says that since the move to free-to-play, SOE has seen a 300 percent increase in new players for EverQuest 2, a 125 percent increase in item sales for EverQuest and a 350 percent bump in overall registrations. Planetside 2, its most recent release, has more than 1.6 million registered users, with 750,000 logging in to play every week."

Now lets face it in my every so humble opinion. SOE I feel is not the giant it think it is in the MMO world and hey if F2P is working well for SOE then great, fantastic. Truth be told they will never keep up with the indrustry leader's that still use P2P format. I honestly do not see P2P going anywere any time soon.

Yeah, while i have nothing against F2P, I am more then willing to pay a sub for a good game. SOE and Smedly IMHO have made enough cluess choices in their time that nothing they make could survive except via the charity of F2P players. Everything they produce is either low quality or eventually dumbed down to low quality. Perhaps their motto should be Games by Idiots for idiots, yeah a bit harsh perhaps but then again look at their F2P model that actually cost most of their players more then a subscription (using EQ2 as a example) Can't do math? Good we want you as a customer. Sony.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

of course f2p is the way to go...

It uncaps the ceiling for how much people can pay (aka 15.99 per month), it allows a smaller amount of people to spend a larger amount of money thus allowing for other people to pay small amounts if nothing at all and yet increasing the playerbase at the same time.

Why wouldn't they do it?

Personally I hate the idea of people not paying their fair share but when a company says "it's ok, someone else will pay your fair share and then some, it's hard to argue.

not for mmo's but interesting commentary nevertheless... nsfw

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6755-Breaking-the-Bones-of-Business?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

For sony F2P really is the only way to go with MMO's. A Pay to Play title has to have quality, polish, variety, and the ability to keep players entertained and playing 20+ hours a week for 6 months and longer. 

Eeks i agree with you! (Might be a first) in any case well put. All i can add is my opinion which is simply Sony does not produce (anymore) quality games with, polish, and variety. 

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Truth be told they will never keep up with the indrustry leader's that still use P2P format.

To whom are you reffering?

Blizzard? No one has, or ever will, come close to that "leader".

CCP? PS2 has nearly twice as many people logging in every week as Eve has subs.

Trion? See above.

Who else should we be looking to?

and yet only a estimated 10% of the players that log into PS2 every week spend any money. (Some more then a $15 a month sub, many less) So basically if PS2 has twice as many players as you state but only 10% as many paying then Sony is making only rouglhy 20% what CCP is. (yes i know this is very rough estimate as CCP has a a cash shop as well, and the PS2 10% PS2 players might only send a dollar or might spend $50)

Number of players especially when the majority are not buying into the cash shop does not equal earnings, and say what you will but less earnings does mean less money put to developement, patching, and content.

Originally posted by Sovrath

of course f2p is the way to go...

It uncaps the ceiling for how much people can pay (aka 15.99 per month), it allows a smaller amount of people to spend a larger amount of money thus allowing for other people to pay small amounts if nothing at all and yet increasing the playerbase at the same time.

Why wouldn't they do it?

Personally I hate the idea of people not paying their fair share but when a company says "it's ok, someone else will pay your fair share and then some, it's hard to argue.

not for mmo's but interesting commentary nevertheless... nsfw

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6755-Breaking-the-Bones-of-Business?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

TY TY TY this video is 100% TRUTH!!!! And This is the main reason why I loath F2P MMO's or games for that matter. I just wish more people would see F2P for what it is and think about it before they spend hard earn cash into the greedy pockets of F2P games.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Truth be told they will never keep up with the indrustry leader's that still use P2P format.

To whom are you reffering?

Blizzard? No one has, or ever will, come close to that "leader".

CCP? PS2 has nearly twice as many people logging in every week as Eve has subs.

Trion? See above.

Who else should we be looking to?

and yet only a estimated 10% of the players that log into PS2 every week spend any money. (Some more then a $15 a month sub, many less) So basically if PS2 has twice as many players as you state but only 10% as many paying then Sony is making only rouglhy 20% what CCP is. (yes i know this is very rough estimate as CCP has a a cash shop as well, and the PS2 10% PS2 players might only send a dollar or might spend $50)

Number of players especially when the majority are not buying into the cash shop does not equal earnings, and say what you will but less earnings does mean less money put to developement, patching, and content.

You forget the whales, a small percentage of the paying players, who pay a lot more than $15 a month. That is where the true money is.

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Says the man/company that ran every P2P MMO they ever produced into the ground, by neglect, ineptitude, and mismanagement. Even the ones that "accidentally" started out well.

"Yeah.. it must be the business model..."

Dumbass.

Plenty of people pay for WoW, Eve, and other games.

SOE has just not put out any game worth paying for in the last 5-6 years.

People are tired of paying for "mediocre" games and for the next "clone with a twist."

That does not mean there is anything wrong with the sub model, just the offerings.

That is the problem. Lack of quality, not one business model vs another.

^^

The winner is...

Well to be honest i've always admired DDO market, but again is a BS market, you surely can get to "max" level without paying a dime, but that for sure will take an insane ammount of time and boredoom, of playing the same instances in almost every server available to collect Turbine Points to later buy them on your real server, then delete your characters and begin again the painful process...

What i have described there is the "old" model of F2P, in reality Turbine did a lot of cash with DDO, those visionaries who liked the game at year 1 decided to spend $200 on the game and get as many points as they could and went F2P forever owning everything on the game as much as a P2P.

I would not mind to spend $200 on a game that i know would enjoy, but lets be honest, only EQ1 and WoW had keept me going for more than 6 years (thats 1080 dollars right there that i would blast them again if the game is right), But can i expect this freaking industry to make something as good as those? certainly not, I been waiting for a game to blow my money on, but something that i feel its worth it, and sadly the market is so divided, and even the customers right now are crappy, they want the fast experience and the "FPS" experience, thinking that the old models were bad, they may have not been the best but surely can be improved .

Either way, the P2P market is nowhere dead, and as our fellow up there said, this interview comes from the most hideous man on the industry. P2P market is still there, and will be there for real good products, and if they want to raise the cut hell i would pay it if its the right game, but not shit like DarkFail, SWToR or Tera, for something good.

The business model is now to change because of the consumer hype is a better selling point than the game it self, hence they have to change it to absorb as much money as they can in the fastest way possible from those who can pay or want to pay to win. Well tell you that will happen, and its happening, but good gamers will always have a noce for those.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920

It turned out we couldn't trust Arenanet not to shaft their core players even though Guild Wars 2 is top quality, AAA, and was buy to play not free to play.

They still turned around and introduced top end gear that required a dungeon grind.  A grind that could be considerably shortened with cash to gold.  And to make sure of that, they nerfed droprates across the board.  

They knew it would piss off their core players who want to actually play the game and not whip out the wallet for shinies.  They even pissed off the people who were willing to buy gold in order to purchase exotics.  But they didn't care because they knew both groups were going to spend very little after the initial bank slots, character slots, vanity items, and then those exotic gear buyers.  And out there waiting was plenty of untapped grinder wallets.  So they shafted us and let us yell the forums down.  So what?  Didn't hurt their bottom line a bit.

So if we can't trust Arenanet not to screw players over less than three months after launch, if we can't trust a company with no prior reputation for screwing its players over, how in the hell would we even consider trusting Sony, a company that does have a bad reputation among gamers?

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein