Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hating the Haters

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

I'm not saying they couldn't have RvR, I'm just saying they should've wrote the setting as 3 different groups; lead by the Breton Merchant Lord, the Nord High King and the High Elf Queen - fighting instead of everyone uniting under a nice and neat 3 race, 3 faction system.  Make people join one of these factions in order to PvP.

yeah like the houses in morrowind.  I said a simmilar thing in another thread.  I guess the problem is modern players and following the path of least resistance they fear they will all pile on one faction.  But they could say have 3 imperial houses you join, but you make that descision at character creation.

The more obvious soloution though is to copy daocs core/ffa/coop server setup.

Core servers played likethey are saying.  Separate pve area for each faction, shared faction pvp area.

FFA servers, almost entire world was PVP flagged and guilds could claim keeps in the rvr area, you could visit the entire world.  (think darkfall without player loot)

Coop servers you could travel the entire world and make guilds and groups with members of the other factions.

I would compromise with a faction choice at character creation. I know it's impossible to rework the game at this point but fear of faction imbalance shouldn't have been problem.  IMO there are a few ways to balance this instead of taking the path of least resistance.

I would support different server choices.  Maybe not 3 but 2.  A core and then an "Real Elder Scrolls" one (lol) - faction choice at character creation, go anywhere, can manually flag for wPvP versus faction or wPvP versus everyone.

I appreciate you responding from a problem solving perspective, it gives me some hope in this thread of dispair.

Originally posted by Distopia

A question that can't be answered at present.

IF these things bother you so much, you don't have to play.

You're not going to see me standing in line for a copy. I refuse to sign up for beta as well.

For someone with no intention of playing you sure do display emotions to the contrary.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I'm not saying they couldn't have RvR, I'm just saying they should've wrote the setting as 3 different groups; lead by the Breton Merchant Lord, the Nord High King and the High Elf Queen - fighting instead of everyone uniting under a nice and neat 3 race, 3 faction system.  Make people join one of these factions in order to PvP.

And you wouldn't have the systems in place that promote community and faction pride.  Arguably the biggest reasons why GW2 WvW is the failure it is.  I want the feeling like I had in DAoC of fighting that Elf invader or Troll Invader as opposed to invader....when the nemey is different looking and comes from different lands its more immersive and offers greater pride for defending your realm.

GW2 isn't a failure just because you didn't like it.  That has got to be a joke, you do realize that it's the 2nd most played MMO out at the moment right?  They have some work to do on their WvW systems, allowing free server transfers hurt the faction pride the most.  Races had NOTHING to do with that.

Even if it did and they want to promote faction pride then why are they forcing us to create multiple alts inorder to see the entire world?

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Still doesn't change the fact that they faction locked races and areas to be like DAoC.  Am I supposed to be grateful that they might've gotten a few things right?  The above is all fine and good but TES is about freedom to choose your factions and explore the land.

Many of these have been done in MMOs already, what good are these systems if they didn't represent the core of TES.

You still are free to chose faction, you just do it at creation due to the races being at war with each other

You can explore more areas (fully realised) than in any other tes game ever, even with the faction lock so how is being able to explore more than before, removing the "core of TES"? Or is it the fact that races are being locked to factions? because I would say race choice is a fairly small part of what makes tes tes, and certainly not THE "core"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 lacks rivalry, no factions is a part of that, but so Is no names and server hopping.

It's why I'm playing ps2 instead.

And you wouldn't have the systems in place that promote community and faction pride.  Arguably the biggest reasons why GW2 WvW is the failure it is.  I want the feeling like I had in DAoC of fighting that Elf invader or Troll Invader as opposed to invader....when the nemey is different looking and comes from different lands its more immersive and offers greater pride for defending your realm.

GW2 isn't a failure just because you didn't like it.  That has got to be a joke, you do realize that it's the 2nd most played MMO out at the moment right?  They have some work to do on their WvW systems, allowing free server transfers hurt the faction pride the most.  Races had NOTHING to do with that.

Even if it did and they want to promote faction pride then why are they forcing us to create multiple alts inorder to see the entire world?

Never said GW2 is a failure, I said WvW is a failure because it strayed to far from what made DAoC's RvR what it is.  I agree with GW2, its a great game even though I aint playing it currently but if the WvW was a tenth of what DAoC's was I would be still there.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin.

Not saying they are invalid but I am saying their concerns are un warranted since we get more PvE space then any of the single player RPG's.  I cant explore Hammerfell while I am playing Skyrim and everyone is fine with that but ohhh all hell breaks out if you cant explore Hammerfell while in the MMO.  It makes no sense to me.

Call me an optomist but if I was a PvE'er only and I chose to play ESO and say I pick Ebonheart Pact I now get access to Skyrim, Morrownd and Blackmarsh....way more exploration space compared to the single player game. 

Yeah but in the single player games the land is not there!  Here they have it and they won't let us explore it - there is a huge difference.

For someone with no intention of playing you sure do display emotions to the contrary.

If they make a 2 (or 3) server option that allows to me pick my faction and explore the world on one character, I would play the game.  If they stay on the same track, I have no intention of playing.

Never said GW2 is a failure, I said WvW is a failure because it strayed to far from what made DAoC's RvR what it is.  I agree with GW2, its a great game even though I aint playing it currently but if the WvW was a tenth of what DAoC's was I would be still there.

Okay thank you for the clairifcation, sorry I got snippy.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

I enjoyed the entire Warcraft RTS line, and I don't remember anything resembling this level of concern of lore botching and different game mechanics when WoW was announced. Maybe the comparison isn't good, but I thought it bore mentioning.

I realize Warcraft wasn't a SRPG, but still, the MMORPG came out pretty decent. (OK that's opinion. It came out succesful at any rate.)

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

And Warcraft started off as a Real-Time-Strategy game and transitioned into an MMO.  One that is arguably the most successful ever. 

So what if ESO is transitioning from a single player open world RPG to a Open World MMO with 3 player factional warfare that fits within the lore of the setting.  I can buy ESO's transition far more easily then I could of Warcrafts.

And KOTOR was a successful SRPG IP made into MMO SWOTR which failed bigtime because? Oh yeah. Taking one example, which is not the same, to try to make your argument work can easiliy be turned against you with actual examples that FIT.

Much like the LAUGHABLE comment highlighted above.

OPEN WORLD MEANS THE WORLD IS OPEN, no loading zones. It is NOT OPEN WORLD. They can call it whatever they want, it doesnt change the definition at all...just like their calling instances, campaigns...doesnt mean it is NOT instanced.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Geez, calm down. I was just throwing it out there. I wasn't trying to definitively proove that the earth was actually flat.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

So lets repeat what he said and change GW2 to WvW...just because you didnt like it, doesnt mean its a fail. WvW is filled with people playing it...just like if I said RvR was a fail in DaoC, you will disagree. Even at its peak, DaoC could not produce the amount of people taking place in heavy GW2 fights and not lag or server crash...which makes DaoC RvR a total fail in my eyes because the game made that the focus of the game...and looking at what we know about TESO, 2000 player max, 200 player max on screen...the devs havent learned a thing about programming. Not surprising seeing as how the game is nothing more than DaoC 2 with no new ideas being given. They are stuck in the past, with a game that wasnt all that great or popular.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by deakon

Still doesn't change the fact that they faction locked races and areas to be like DAoC.  Am I supposed to be grateful that they might've gotten a few things right?  The above is all fine and good but TES is about freedom to choose your factions and explore the land.

Many of these have been done in MMOs already, what good are these systems if they didn't represent the core of TES.

You still are free to chose faction, you just do it at creation due to the races being at war with each other

You can explore more areas (fully realised) than in any other tes game ever, even with the faction lock so how is being able to explore more than before, removing the "core of TES"? Or is it the fact that races are being locked to factions? because I would say race choice is a fairly small part of what makes tes tes, and certainly not THE "core"

I am a Breton and I don't like Daggerfall, the Merchant Lord killed my parents yet I am FORCED to join him.  How is limiting races to factions giving players a choice?  You are reaching pretty hard.

It's removing the core of TES because the land is there, why can't we explore it.  It's that simple man, like it or not.  Telling someone to be happy because it's more than what was previously released is like throwing a dog a bone after promising him a steak.  It's a MMO, of course it's gonna be bigger but it's just retarded to limit players in such a way when the landscape is there.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Not saying they are invalid but I am saying their concerns are un warranted since we get more PvE space then any of the single player RPG's.  I cant explore Hammerfell while I am playing Skyrim and everyone is fine with that but ohhh all hell breaks out if you cant explore Hammerfell while in the MMO.  It makes no sense to me.

Call me an optomist but if I was a PvE'er only and I chose to play ESO and say I pick Ebonheart Pact I now get access to Skyrim, Morrownd and Blackmarsh....way more exploration space compared to the single player game. 

Yeah but in the single player games the land is not there!  Here they have it and they won't let us explore it - there is a huge difference.

That is actually something I liked about DAOC, as each Realm was unique. If ESO is as vast as they describe it as being, that could possibly be the equivalent of having many TES games in one, since morrowind the worlds have gotten smaller with little variety in evironment. This is a much better approach than SWTOR took as an example, for an MMO. Not that I don't understand your complaint, as I'd also prefer something different for factions. My personal preference would be something like SWG. Three factions yet one is non combative, unless they offer their services to one of two factions, with no racial ties to faction.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

That is actually something I liked about DAOC, as each Realm was unique. If ESO is as vast as they describe it as being, that could possibly be the equivalent of having many TES games in one, since morrowind the worlds have gotten smaller with little variety in evironment. This is a much better approach than SWTOR took as an example, for an MMO. Not that I don't understand your complaint, as I'd also prefer something different for factions. My personal preference would be something like SWG. Three factions yet one is non combative, unless they offer their services to one of two factions, with no racial ties to faction.

I can respect that.  Although it could be like 3 Elder Scrolls games in one, I would've rather had one huge Elder Scrolls game. 

SWTOR would've worked great with 3 factions; Republic, Empire and Hutts. I had no problems with race restricted factions in that game because it made sense.  I'm having a terrible time trying to accept it in ESO.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    How can u hate sumthing that dosnt exist yet? Im so confuzed at ppls view points on certain things....

Originally posted by jtcgs

And Warcraft started off as a Real-Time-Strategy game and transitioned into an MMO.  One that is arguably the most successful ever. 

So what if ESO is transitioning from a single player open world RPG to a Open World MMO with 3 player factional warfare that fits within the lore of the setting.  I can buy ESO's transition far more easily then I could of Warcrafts.

And KOTOR was a successful SRPG IP made into MMO SWOTR which failed bigtime because? Oh yeah. Taking one example, which is not the same, to try to make your argument work can easiliy be turned against you with actual examples that FIT.

Much like the LAUGHABLE comment highlighted above.

OPEN WORLD MEANS THE WORLD IS OPEN, no loading zones. It is NOT OPEN WORLD. They can call it whatever they want, it doesnt change the definition at all...just like their calling instances, campaigns...doesnt mean it is NOT instanced.

First off no game does seemless world any more, almost all triple-A MMO use some sort of zoning.

Secondly your defintions are twisted, open world means go anywhere.  What you desscribed is commonly called seemless world.  Seemless and Zoned worlds can either be open ended or linear!!!

Thirdly Instancing is when the game creates a new area for you and your party, meaning no one can join.  ESO features instances but the world is a zoned open ended as opposed to a seemless open ended which is what you want.

I am a Breton and I don't like Daggerfall, the Merchant Lord killed my parents yet I am FORCED to join him.  How is limiting races to factions giving players a choice?  You are reaching pretty hard.

It's removing the core of TES because the land is there, why can't we explore it.  It's that simple man, like it or not.  Telling someone to be happy because it's more than what was previously released is like throwing a dog a bone after promising him a steak.  It's a MMO, of course it's gonna be bigger but it's just retarded to limit players in such a way when the landscape is there.

Its the core because its there? What the...how... I meen ... honestly...speechless

No its not the same because you were never promised the steak to begin with, its more like a starving child being given oats and them complaining because the children in the town down the road are getting just bread and he wants oats AND bread

"this game is going to be bad because it offers more than the ip has offered before"......... ok

Originally posted by Dantae87
    How can u hate sumthing that dosnt exist yet? Im so confuzed at ppls view points on certain things....

People are not liking the fact that they faction locked races and areas.  The game exists, I don't see how you think it doesn't. 

Its the core because its there? What the...how... I meen ... honestly...speechless

Freedom to explore is the core.  Blocking off areas because they want to focus on a racial war is NOT freedom.  Have you even played an Elder Scrolls game?

Freedom to explore is the core.  Blocking off areas because they want to focus on a racial war is NOT freedom.  Have you even played an Elder Scrolls game?

Its not complete freedom no, its still more freedom than the ip has ever had before tho and its not like you cant see all the land it just gives a reason to roll an alt (much like the faction choices in previouse titles have)

Its not complete freedom no, its still more freedom than the ip has ever had before tho and its not like you cant see all the land it just gives a reason to roll an alt (much like the faction choices in previouse titles have)

It is in NO WAY more freedom than the IP has ever had before.. again, have you ever played an Elder Scrolls game?  In no other TES game have they prevented you from exploring content they've created.  It is crazy to limit players in this unneeded way.

Lol you got to be joking, you had much bigger fights in daoc.

Not heard of the gw2 culling problem either?
    Jts
    Glad you used kotor / swtor example.

Many of the problems with swtor are that it is too much like a sprpg. It's not mmo enough, that's what's wrong with swtor.

You make a mmo exactly like a corresponding sprpg you make a game that's both a bad mmo and a bad rpg.

Let's take another example uo, its nothing Like the single player ultima games, and most people would agree it was a good mmo.
    Saphen

Have you never played redguard or battlespire then?

They're still tes games. They are off shoots into different genres, e.g. redguard is a tomb raider style game.

Thats what TESO is an off shoot into another genre. Otherwise they would have called it TES6.
This discussion has been closed.