Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

open-world and supports up to 2000 players

Comments

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by aslan132

Clearly some of you dont understand what open world is. Open world is not the opposite of instanced. Open world is the opposite of linear. 

Open world does not mean that there are no zones, or instances, or load screens. It means that there are no artificial barriers or invisible walls WITHIN those zones, or instances. It means you are free to roam across the entire instance, jumping, climbing or running around without encountering obstacles. 

In your mind this is the definition.

It reality it is not.

Quit trying to make things up to define what you want it to mean.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Ghostshadows

PvP siege battle which looks like hundreds or even thousands of soldiers facing off against each other. Is a battle of this magnitude actually possible in the game, made up of human players?

Every one of the figures in that video was a human player. We got all of our devs into the game for a PvP test, and then captured that sequence with them. It was all in-game. Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world and supports up to 2000 players in it at the same time. ESO’s client is designed to be able to handle (on the recommended spec) 200 players on screen at the same time. That particular scene had about 115 players on each side.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Elder-Scrolls-Online-interview---Matt-Firor/tabid/418/articleID/284162/Default.aspx#ixzz2IvayIfpT

WEWT!

Wait....what?

Color me confused, how can it support 2k players, yet a person can only see 200 at one time.

if it support 200 on screen, and are 3 factions, then itll be 60-70 person per side?

Where does the other 1800 players...play?

the network can keep track of 2k on the PvP map, but the recommended specs for internet feed and coms and all that mean after there are so many players withen a certan distance of you, lag will start to acure

its not that the network cant keep up its that their is only so much information a internet line can handle at a time, and every player withen site is sending information through that line to you

honestly 200 is a fairly large number, iv seen some games that start lagging around 50 or 100

plus you got to think what in sire means its prob not very likely to have 200 people in site at one time unless ya got a very good vantage point

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's the mega server that's the stupid idea. Not having cyrodil as a rvr area.

Ideally we'd have a typical server system with healthy population, so I understand exactly what you mean when you say that. However, consider how all new big MMO releases see a massive influx of people, then lose a huge portion of them afterwards. This leads to empty areas and poor player experience all-around.

The Megaserver system is a practical solution to this above problem. In this day and age, do the developers of TESO really have any business being arrogant enough to assume they'll be different and not lose tonnes of players like all the other AAA MMOs do a few months down the road?

• I believe the "official" reason behind the Megaserver - that it sucks picking one server while your friend picks another without talking to you, and you now not being able to play together - is BS marketing because it doesn't sound to good if they go out and say what essentially means "we'll probably lose some players after launch."

Two reasons for that being.

1. I've never heard of anyone have that problem. When friends roll in a new game they coordinate on picking the same server. They communicate because, you know, they're friends?

2. Megaservers don't solve this problem because characters of different factions can't play together. There's nothing preventing you and your "friend" whom you apparently never talk to, rolling on opposite factions.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Cyrodil is an open zone.. There we are all happy.

You will probably zone in some how. Then all of Cyrodil is open to roam in .. You know the entire area in Oblivion? Yea it is huge. In that sense its going to be as open world as TES4 ..

The other areas of the game.. All we know is that in previews people have went their own way and did what ever they wanted. How big or how small each area is we really dont know yet.. I havent seen any notes yet if the main faction areas are cut into smaller zones or not. The only thing I have seen so far is that the entire faction areas are cut off from each other.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Good thing is Elder Scolls Online is reintroducing the Public Dungeons which are non-instanced.  Yet another feature that proves its not just another clone. 

Personally myself I am not interested in the PvP so I dunno why I debate its merits so much here lately LOL.  I am only interested in the progression of my character and the aforementioned open world exploration and dungeons.  In fact to be honest, I am more interested in Neverwinter becasue of the possibilities of the foundry system, however I am looking forward to recreating my Skyrim experiences in a persistant open world setting.  Hopefully Paul Sage's comments of the level cap only being a 3rd of the way through your cahracters progression remains true.

I'm happy about the Public Dungeons. I loved dungeon crawling in DAOC. Making your way to the very end of the dungeons were difficult, and when you did, you knew you were ready for the next dungeon up. Made most of our friends in DAOC just from dungeon hunting. Was fun times.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

You will probably zone in some how. Then all of Cyrodil is open to roam in .. You know the entire area in Oblivion? Yea it is huge. In that sense its going to be as open world as TES4 ..

The other areas of the game.. All we know is that in previews people have went their own way and did what ever they wanted. How big or how small each area is we really dont know yet.. I havent seen any notes yet if the main faction areas are cut into smaller zones or not. The only thing I have seen so far is that the entire faction areas are cut off from each other.

Please source where the size of TESO's Cyrodil is comparable to the area in Oblivion.  I would like to read more about this..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Karteli

Please source where the size of TESO's Cyrodil is comparable to the area in Oblivion.  I would like to read more about this..

No links off the top of my head but they were in video interviews. Not only that how else could Cyrodil support up to 2000 players?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

No links off the top of my head but they were in video interviews. Not only that how else could Cyrodil support up to 2000 players?

np, I just never saw the 1:1 direct comparison before (ie not scaled down or up, etc).  16 km squared would be pretty big though ( ~2.5 miles on each side if it could be turned into a square).  It's reasonable for 2000 players though, like you said .. if the game can really handle that much, since it only really showed 200+ players.  Not sure how much of that is phased or instanced though.

Just wondering, thanks for the reply.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well depends what server you played on, I played on mordred so plenty of ganking lowbies there. Don't know how the coop servers worked,,presume they had no pvp.
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

I am looking forward to this game but I would much more prefer real open world PvP.

But If PvP has to be zoned, there needs to be way more "contested" zones than safe zones.

I like being in danger while PVE questing, it makes questing more interesting.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Here is a simple fact...

DAoC had PvP, it wasn't open world, didn't have full looting and was probably THEE best PvP game ever made. Why? Because it had entertainment value. It wasn't about running around ganking lowbies, it was about strategy, multiple battles in multiple territories all fighting over dominance and relic control.

TESO is following suit...

DAoC had a great community and intense rivalry, until i see any other game come anywhere near the competitive play on a faction level in DAoC i'll reserve judgement on how similar they are.

GW2 has very similar mechanics but was a pointless, directionless zerg fest. I have to wonder, if DAoC was released for the first time today, would it suffer the same fate?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

To get to any meaningful PVP, doesn't everyone need to suffer through all the funneled themepark PVE content first, then get to endgame and do PVP "in the middle", since every faction is segregated?

Where is this funneled PvE content you speak of?  If Funnled PvE content equals freedom to explore anywhere and go where ever you want is funneled....then yes PvE is funneled.

Haters , don't mind them. I think they should just make a subsection of game called MMOPVP and that way pvpers don't have to worry about the actual role playing game stuff and can gank to their hearts content just like they were 13 again.  The idea that pvp is zoned makes me want to at least try this game. 

I wouldn't even mind if they figured out how to do a Dark Cloud 2 system where pvp actions (not killing a bunch of people, but actually building a community) effected the real world in some type of statistical or item availablity area. 

PVP takes away the realism of any game. No world has peopel , even of opposite factions, randomly killing folk for no particular reason other than i hate u, u hate me.  The only way I"d ever do open world pvp is if you had to join an army for it, and could only particupate in  organized battles according to a general. This would provide far more realistic impressino for me and force players to actually understand how real war and opposing factions work. 

• LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102
    So is this like STO's servers? WHAT>?????

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

It will be interesting to see how TESO world pvp turns out when the last 2 big games - GW2 and Planetside 2 had such contrasting results.

I really like the faction region lock as I think that really adds to the rivalries and realm pride that was present in DAOC. I also like the idea of capturing specific objectives to 'win' like DAOC relics as opposed to the scoring system in GW2 which in the end wasn't that interesting and just promoted constant server hopping.

I know a lot of people hate the idea of instancing, but if it prevents queue times like in GW2 and allows people to play with their friends and guild whenever they want then the cost is worth it.

Planetside 2 gives me hope that world pvp can work well.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    server hopping was a problem in DAoC as well.
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by deakon

Originally posted by Caliburn101

Originally posted by ShakyMo Caliburn Why would it crash? Planetside 2 has simmilar player numbers per continent and doesn't crash. Daoc & planetside 1 managed perfectly well too.  
    Let me be as clear as possible then; 2000 people in a zone max. 200 people on your screen max. When the 2000 people come together for the 'final push' in defence or attack to take the throne - FAR MORE than 200 will be crowding your screen... ... crash... ... or do you think 1800 of them will voluntarily leave the last phases of the battle to a select 200?... ... or that the zone will be split into 10 different areas which have objectives which all have to be taken simultaneously to win?... ... no?... ... me neither.
    Your assuming there is just one big objective in the middle rather than lots spread out around the map

Its already been said you need to capture and hold multiple keeps etc in order to "win" so there wont be a centralised "push" as it were because if you have your whole team on one keep one of the factions will just break off and capture those you have left alone

Your joking right? Time and time again games have shown human nature in the majority is to ZERG

Indeed it does.

A large zerg will run around and at best I would expect (without strong multi-guild leadership and extremely effective coordination) a few to remain behind the zerg defending objectives which need to be held for the zerg to go for the final objective.

Logic dictates absolutely that there will be a final objective - the capitol city on the island in the center of Cyrodil. It would be ridiculous to assume those in the zone will sit back on the shore while the 'chosen 200' rush to the center.

Culling I would think is the only possible solution, and I hope, with the relevant amount of testing, that it can be programmed to deal with exploitation (large zerg crash-festing to prevent a win) or accidental overload (concentrated fighting over one currently critical location...).

Concentrations of numbers WILL happen - and the server and program WILL have to have an effective way of dealing.

We are many, many years past the assumption that player self-regulation will deal with the issue for us...

... that's just wishful thinking of the most naive kind I think...

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Tayah

I hope it's very much like DAOC RvR areas were. If they do just that, I'll be happy. If it's like GW2, then I'll pass.

Wasn't gw2 wvw made to mimic DaoC? What's different about them? Never got to play DaoC, enlighten me.

GW2 did a S*&^ job of mimicking DAOC's RvR. GW2 is instanced and limits you to too few people. In DAOC Pre-ToA we had massive keep battles between all 3 sides. There were no limits of how many people could be in the RvR area. GW2 also you all you see is server tag of the other team you're fighting. With DAOC you got a message each time a person killed another, using their names. You'd see Briton, Norse, Avalonian, etc as your enemies above their heads, but once they were killed or you were killed you saw a message of the real character names. It was awesome.

The RvR areas were the best coin loot in the game you could get from mobs so we'd go out there to pve at the risk of being ganked. If you saw a message, lets say, "Kevo has just killed Shimmer", you immediately started looking out because there was danger about and you could be ganked at any moment, so you'd be prepared to slay that person if they came your way.

It was great rivalry between all 3 factions, and in those days when someone ganked you, instead of humping you they'd actually bow to you, to let you know, you fought well, and were a worthy opponent. People were more respectful in those days.

the times when people actually bow to their apponent are gone m8....back in the days some people who killed you rezzed you again and where on their way.....THAT was gloryous pvp back then, with respect for the others.

But get used to it that since then mmo's are for kids and not just adults anymore.

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    When they fking learn that factions in "open" pvp leads to unbalance. Their will be always one faction which dominates pvp.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    I am not very trusting about these statements. They say stuff like this and then you log in and lag to death.
    Chamber of Chains
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by wilq
    When they fking learn that factions in "open" pvp leads to unbalance. Their will be always one faction which dominates pvp.

Well I agree ..but..

3 factions (realms) has been a winning concept in DaoC , when one faction is dominating in popularity, the other 2 factions go together and help.

• SheerzSheerz Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by thark
    Originally posted by wilq

Well I agree ..but..

3 factions (realms) has been a winning concept in DaoC , when one faction is dominating in popularity, the other 2 factions go together and help.

Probably, but since all 3 factions has a popular race (Nord, Elves and Breton) it should balance out pretty well, I think.

• desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by cyrana

Originally posted by Caliburn101

Originally posted by ShakyMo Caliburn Why would it crash? Planetside 2 has simmilar player numbers per continent and doesn't crash. Daoc & planetside 1 managed perfectly well too.  
    Let me be as clear as possible then;

2000 people in a zone max.

200 people on your screen max.

When the 2000 people come together for the 'final push' in defence or attack to take the throne - FAR MORE than 200 will be crowding your screen...

... crash...

... or do you think 1800 of them will voluntarily leave the last phases of the battle to a select 200?...

... or that the zone will be split into 10 different areas which have objectives which all have to be taken simultaneously to win?...

... no?...

... me neither.

I'd imagine the developers have thought of this - would be pretty naff to make something that just crashes. I think it just means they'll do the culling that GW2 does with tons of invisible people - not that this is so brilliant, either.

So, the advertised "premiere" PVP fantasy game translated by the premiere sandbox open SRPG and next to come to our desktops will run on a heavily instanced megaserver and in its core gameplay will get us killed by invisible people.

Jeez....

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Again gw2 does culling wrong, seemingly at random. I've not had this problem with other large scale pc games, if you cull players that are outside their attack range or have a blocked line of sight, wars the problem.
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by bcbully

"Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world..."

Marketing talk...

God damnit BC, where the hell do you get off on this?  Why isn't it open?  Why do you think it's marketing talk?  FFS can't you jsut leave these forums, and go back to the Wushu forums?  Why must you consistently continue to churn out negativity for anything that doesnt feature FFA PvP.  FFS, your version of PvP is niche and hardly anyone likes it.  The vast majority of players are PvE anjd if they do like PvP it's consentual.  My heart tells me that a high percentage of ESO's playerbase will never participate in PvP.....me being one of them. 

Whoa whoa. I'm a support here. I can't wait to check it out. I had to be like the 1st 10 people to sign up for the beta. The anologish sword swining, ability to wear any type of armor, 3 true factions. I want to play.

Let's be real here though, the Open world pvp he is speaking of is no different that WvW, Illum, Fusang. You can't have Open world pvp, but no pvp in these areas. I'm not gonna be sold that, again...

I don't have to swallow hook line and sinker in order to want to play.

It is open world, in that zone and only that zone.  Its open world with a caveat.  DAoC did it the exact same way as did some other games.

Just because there are restrictions doesn't mean its not open world.  I think you're confusing open world with Instanced as so many on these forums do. 

Theres 2 words to describe the type of Pvp: Persistence and instanced.  You can have open world in a persistanced zone, you can't have open world in an instance. 

Open world means that the worlds open ala UO, DFO, Skyrim, etc. 

A zone can not be an open world, in the end its simply a very large zone. 

The presence of zones negates the possibility of an open world. 

It's not a bad thing so don't take it as such, but he is right. It's simply marketing spin using the current buzz words. 

I am just a passerby with not much interest in propping up this game.  But you are wrong.  Open world means it is persistent and never-ending.   This area will be running 24-7 and will always be accessible.   A non-open-world zone is like BGs in WOW.. where you cannot fluidily access tham from the main world, and they have limited duraction and énd´ 

And you are wrong about UO.  UO most certainly had zones.. dungeons were their own zones,  trammel-Felucca were different zones, Lost Lands was a different zone, Illshnear.. etc.  Even the main map was ´zoned´.  People abused that fact all the time during pvp.  

Is it accessible and persistent  from the rest of the world 24-7? Can people enter and leave that zone at will?   Yes, then it is open-world by most definitions.  You are using a rather obscure definition that isn´t relevant to gameplay at all.  And really the only difference between DF, UO and WOW is that WOW named their zones and displays it above your map.  UO and DF most certainly have zones, and you can ´feel´ them when you cross them, but nothing shows up on your UI to tell you.