Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hating the Haters

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Ok, so you are 1 that doesnt fall into that list. But you are right. I shouldnt speak for others.

I am willing to wager on quite a few ES fans not liking TESO

I don't buy in with half these people who suddenly become Elder Scrolls fans.  ESO semi-offical forums are full of them saying "WE LIKE THE GAME" yet most all of them have 2012 join dates.  I'm betting most of these people never really understood TES or zenimax is hiring people to play crowd control.

I don't think many understand TES offers something for many different playstyles and gaming interests especially when mods enter the picture. TES fans are a diverse group simply because of the nature of those games. So it does not surprise me that there are mixed feelings both good and bad about what has been shown so far.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Ok, so you are 1 that doesnt fall into that list. But you are right. I shouldnt speak for others.

I don't buy in with half these people who suddenly become Elder Scrolls fans.  ESO semi-offical forums are full of them saying "WE LIKE THE GAME" yet most all of them have 2012 join dates.  I'm betting most of these people never really understood TES or zenimax is hiring people to play crowd control.

I think alot of these new found ES fans are just old DAoC fans who have been rubbing themselves raw waiting for #2

This is gettting pretty comical now, you guys are the only "real" fans, I get it....

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

So if we dont agree with you we are either paid off or lying? Seriously? God complex much?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Pyrate
    I don't understand, you way you want a sandbox. Then you say daoc only got 250k but EQ got 400k. Yet EQ is more themeparky than daoc.

Also rather hillariously you pointed out uo had 250k too, and uo actually is a sandbox, the 2nd most successful of all time after eve.

It's obvious you never played daoc, you seem to be under the impression it was some sort of early form of wow. Your most wow like games back then were Ao and EQ, although theyre not really like wow either.
    Deakon, they can't get it through their heads there are players out there who like both tes and daoc.

I remember buying Morrowind back in the day, and thinking wow this is like a mmo, its like ac or daoc but with action combat. I immediately dropped my wow sub and played Morrowind for pve and planetside for pvp. Much like I do now with skyrim and ps2.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by deakon

So if we dont agree with you we are either paid off or lying? Seriously? God complex much?

ohhh, did I strike a nerve?  You know it wouldn't be a stupid move if they hired people to populate forums and talk good about their game.  Pretty smart imo.

..and I wouldn't say lying, it's more like they are stretching the truth to fit in and feel like thier opinion is valid.  We all have done similar things before, it's human nature.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Deakon, they can't get it through their heads there are players out there who like both tes and daoc.

I remember buying Morrowind back in the day, and thinking wow this is like a mmo, its like ac or daoc but with action combat. I immediately dropped my wow sub and played Morrowind for pve and planetside for pvp. Much like I do now with skyrim and ps2.

I loved SWG as much as I did simply because it reminded me so much of Morrowind, combine that with SW and I was hooked. Now I also loved DAOC, and I am  also a huge fan of TES lore, again I could see this being a game I really enjoy if done right.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Pyrate
    I don't understand, you way you want a sandbox. Then you say daoc only got 250k but EQ got 400k. Yet EQ is more themeparky than daoc.

Also rather hillariously you pointed out uo had 250k too, and uo actually is a sandbox, the 2nd most successful of all time after eve.

It's obvious you never played daoc, you seem to be under the impression it was some sort of early form of wow. Your most wow like games back then were Ao and EQ, although theyre not really like wow either.

Yes I did play DAoC from release until about 6 months in. Game just wasnt for me.

I dont think it was an early WoW. I thought the PvE was more EQLite. So did my entire guild. The RvR was ok, but (for me at least) wasnt worth paying $15mo for.

Sorry, I just didnt like your special little game the way you did.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

ohhh, did I strike a nerve?  You know it wouldn't be a stupid move if they hired people to populate forums and talk good about their game.  Pretty smart imo.

..and I wouldn't say lying, it's more like they are stretching the truth to fit in and feel like thier opinion is valid.  We all have done similar things before, it's human nature.

Stretching the truth? What like saying "this is nothing but daoc 2 with a tes skin"? that kind of stretching the truth?

I like both TES and DAoC but I don't want to play their lovechild.

I'm sure they do, as a lot of companies do it. That said, to use a blanket statement like that as an answer to why someone would disagree with you, is exactly what you described in the post above (in yellow).

Stretching the truth? What like saying "this is nothing but daoc 2 with a tes skin"? that kind of stretching the truth?

Strong focus on RvR (via AvA), locking races into factions, seperating the areas and making a center point in which everyone fights for.... sound familar?

Lets just wait till release and see how many say "this is nothing but daoc 2 with a tes skin".

Again Im willing to bet it will be a lot

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

Good thing Elder Scrolls Online copies the same open world exploration centric gameplay the single player RPG's follows then huh?

You should really read up on the game, the game is not an open world. It will have zones and instances. 

You see, in The Elder Scrolls Online, players will be given the option of setting their own play preferences. Players will be asked what sort of age groups they want to play with or what playstyle preferences they have (ex. PvP, raiding, etc.) and the game will intelligently match up players of like interests when sorting out the populations of zone instances. Instead of just shuffling players into different zone copies by simple load metrics, The Elder Scrolls Online will give players the option of tailoring the community they share the world with to their own individual preferences. The game will even remember players you’ve interacted with and place you in zone instances with them if they’re online. Neat!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6846/Megaservers-vs-The-Elder-Scrolls.html

Whats that got to do with being open?  All it does is get like minded people into the same channel of the mega server. 

Everything else is open, Skyrim is a zone, Cyrodill is a Zone, Morrowind is a Zone, Elsweyr is a zone....all open, all feature go off exploration centric gameplay with no quest hubbing.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Distopia

I think alot of these new found ES fans are just old DAoC fans who have been rubbing themselves raw waiting for #2

This is gettting pretty comical now, you guys are the only "real" fans, I get it....

So, is Mario Kart a Mario game, or is it a game with Mario in it? If you are a fan of Mario, do you defend Mario Kart for being Mario or for being a driving game? What if Nintendo tries to make Mario Kart for fans of Mario and try to pass it off as nothing more than a Mario game, do you still defend it as a Mario game like a blind fool or do you point out that it isnt Mario, its a driving game? Yeah...

Donkey Kong has Mario in it, it is not a Mario game. TESO has TES in it, it is not a TES game, and NO, the mario/mario kart example DOES NOT APPLY because a side scroller and a driving game are two VERY DIFFERENT GENRES and thus CANNOT BE THE SAME. TES and TESO however are BOTH RPGs that CAN be near directly translated.

Which is NOT being done. Everything that makes up the base game of TES is being thrown out for outdated bland boring dull ideas that never took off in the first place that did create the vast limitations modern MMOs are NOW STAGNATED WITH.

To celebrate a loved IP being made with those limitations makes NO SENSE at all when if it was kept to what the IP actually was, it would make a REFRESHING NEW MMO INSTEAD!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    The hate train has well and truly moved from gw2 to TESO, you guys are getting way too predictable. Some people like being miserable, i hope the mods crack down on it because it's making this place a depressing place to visit.

Well, if you have better news, please post it here.

All we are doing is posting a fact. And the fact is that an IP known for classless, free-roaming, non-linear exploration in an open world is putting its name on a game that the developers themselves have said will be based on class-delineated, closed-off, linear gameplay n a restricted world.

This is not good news for lovers of TES.

I couldn't agree with you more noncley.  I don't want to offend people who like what ESO is planning but it's a messy business aruguing over opinions.

If Zeni never announced faction locks NONE of us would be having this conversation.  I could not imagine anyone fighting for an Elder Scrolls game to confine players to factions and areas because of what race they choose.

If Zeni announced that ESO was going with a non faction gameplay then we would have another failure of a game that copies the same failed designs of the last 15 years.  In order for that to of happened then you would of had to implement either A) FFA PvP or B) Instanced BG' if you wanted PvP.  Your PvE would of been ok I guess but then you wouldnt have the ultimate PvP system we have now.  In other words we would of gotten WoW 2.0. 

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Strong focus on RvR (via AvA), locking races into factions, seperating the areas and making a center point in which everyone fights for.... sound familar?

Left click hit, hold left click power hit, right click block, hold right click and hit left to interupt, sound familiar?

Being able to wear any armor or weapon regardless of class, sound familiar?

Leveling skills/armor/weapons up the more you use them, sound familiar?

Every class can use stealth, sound familiar?

Every class can block, sound familiar?

Stamina, health and magica as the 3 main stats, sound familiar?

No cd on spells and attacks, sound familiar?

Whats that got to do with being open?  All it does is get like minded people into the same channel of the mega server. 

Everything else is open, Skyrim is a zone, Cyrodill is a Zone, Morrowind is a Zone, Elsweyr is a zone....all open, all feature go off exploration centric gameplay with no quest hubbing.

These areas are not open, they are closed off by races.  You have to create 3 different characters to explore all of Tamriel.  That is not the type of exploring enjoyed in ES games.  There is no need to limit players in such a way.  If they didn't focus on the racial war then they could've left these areas open for everyone.

Originally posted by jtcgs

So, is Mario Kart a Mario game, or is it a game with Mario in it? If you are a fan of Mario, do you defend Mario Kart for being Mario or for being a driving game? What if Nintendo tries to make Mario Kart for fans of Mario and try to pass it off as nothing more than a Mario game, do you still defend it as a Mario game like a blind fool or do you point out that it isnt Mario, its a driving game? Yeah...

Donkey Kong has Mario in it, it is not a Mario game. TESO has TES in it, it is not a TES game, and NO, the mario/mario kart example DOES NOT APPLY because a side scroller and a driving game are two VERY DIFFERENT GENRES and thus CANNOT BE THE SAME. TES and TESO however are BOTH RPGs that CAN be near directly translated.

Which is NOT being done. Everything that makes up the base game of TES is being thrown out for outdated bland boring dull ideas that never took off in the first place that did create the vast limitations modern MMOs are NOW STAGNATED WITH.

To celebrate a loved IP being made with those limitations makes NO SENSE at all when if it was kept to what the IP actually was, it would make a REFRESHING NEW MMO INSTEAD!

err you dont make sense Skyrim is a single player game, teso is a mmo, THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT GENRES.

Its like portal is a fps, but it would make a bad mmo, if you want fps in a mmo you make something like planetside.

also youve never heard of Redguard then i guess. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Adventures:_Redguard

Thats still a tes game even though it plays nothing like the others,  much like mario cart is still a mario game (and paper mario the rpg, and super smash brothers etc..)

THANKS FOR PROOVING OUR POINT with your excellent mario example.  

And Warcraft started off as a Real-Time-Strategy game and transitioned into an MMO.  One that is arguably the most successful ever. 

So what if ESO is transitioning from a single player open world RPG to a Open World MMO with 3 player factional warfare that fits within the lore of the setting.  I can buy ESO's transition far more easily then I could of Warcrafts.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

Good thing Elder Scrolls Online copies the same open world exploration centric gameplay the single player RPG's follows then huh?

You should really read up on the game, the game is not an open world. It will have zones and instances. 

You see, in The Elder Scrolls Online, players will be given the option of setting their own play preferences. Players will be asked what sort of age groups they want to play with or what playstyle preferences they have (ex. PvP, raiding, etc.) and the game will intelligently match up players of like interests when sorting out the populations of zone instances. Instead of just shuffling players into different zone copies by simple load metrics, The Elder Scrolls Online will give players the option of tailoring the community they share the world with to their own individual preferences. The game will even remember players you’ve interacted with and place you in zone instances with them if they’re online. Neat!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6846/Megaservers-vs-The-Elder-Scrolls.html

That is NOT an open game world. Zones close things off. Especially when they are restricted by Race/Faction locks.

Its even less open when you are in a Mirrored Zone made just for you and like minded players and others (not like minded) are playing in another Mirror.

err you dont make sense Skyrim is a single player game, teso is a mmo, THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT GENRES.

Not totally different genres; SP-RPG v. MMO-RPG.  Roleplaying game is a roleplaying game, adding a bunch of people hardly changes the genre classification drastically.  Many things from TES could've translated into a MMO.

Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    The hate train has well and truly moved from gw2 to TESO, you guys are getting way too predictable. Some people like being miserable, i hope the mods crack down on it because it's making this place a depressing place to visit.

Well, if you have better news, please post it here.

All we are doing is posting a fact. And the fact is that an IP known for classless, free-roaming, non-linear exploration in an open world is putting its name on a game that the developers themselves have said will be based on class-delineated, closed-off, linear gameplay n a restricted world.

This is not good news for lovers of TES.

I couldn't agree with you more noncley.  I don't want to offend people who like what ESO is planning but it's a messy business aruguing over opinions.

If Zeni never announced faction locks NONE of us would be having this conversation.  I could not imagine anyone fighting for an Elder Scrolls game to confine players to factions and areas because of what race they choose.

If Zeni announced that ESO was going with a non faction gameplay then we would have another failure of a game that copies the same failed designs of the last 15 years.  In order for that to of happened then you would of had to implement either A) FFA PvP or B) Instanced BG' if you wanted PvP.  Your PvE would of been ok I guess but then you wouldnt have the ultimate PvP system we have now.  In other words we would of gotten WoW 2.0. 

yeah if they didnt have RVR, what would they do instead, my guess would be stale old crappy grind minigames for pvp tokens.  Which would make the game MORE of a wow clone.

You will never get a game with this sort of budget going FFA.  Now i like FFA, but its a specialist market, theres only really 2 games that have had FFA and being successful - EVE & UO.  I guess you could also count FFA servers in some games like AC and DAOC too.

The energies of "the haters" woudl be better expended in my opinion if they asked zenimax to copy daco MORE and introduce FFA and coop servers.  All these arguments of "I cant travel the entire world" would be leveled at one stroke then. But no doubt thewy would find somethingelse to moan about despite never even playing the bloody game.

What does this have to do with what I said?

TES is something that doesn't fit into just one game type. And to say the base game is being thrown out isn't exactly accurate for everyones approach to TES games. That's what makes them as popular as they are.

Are they seemingly throwing out certain options that TES games offer? Yes. Everything TES has to offer? I can't say definitively without playing. However a big part of TES games consist of exploring and questing, which if DEvs are to be believed is soemthing they are focusing on for PVE.

Another area is that classes seem to have many options available to them (Equipment governs areas of skill) one of my favorite aspects of TES games, and why i loved SWG so much. OF course I can't say how much this will mimic a TES experience, still these are the areas aside from lore which drew me into the franchise to begin with.

This entire thread and arguement is pointless

They will never agree to our point of view and we (I) will never agree to theirs.

/end

This discussion has been closed.