Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the next level past crickets? Vacuum?

13»

Comments

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

Although I agree with most of you and while Tasos should be receiving flak due to a buggy unfinished game the fact still remains that it is the only FPS full loot sandbox available to play by pre-ordering. Games such as The Repopulation and Archeage have barely been announced and will probably release around q3 q4 2012, which still gives people a huge downtime in between while craving a sandbox. 

Second wow if you really want to go into semantics a first person shooter is a game that is *ABLE* to be played in first person throughout the entire game. Darkfall Unholy Wars fits that description. Technically making it a FPS. 

Probably even before that. Note that recurring payment is scheduled for Mar 3, if you don't see a conflict there ponder over it. People will not be paying subs for beta access obviously - and it will be technically illegal for AV to charge the recurring sub fee for beta access come March. 

So March-April will probably be the release date. Its not that hard to figure out. 

FPS  ---First person shooter usually means the POV is restricted to first person. If the definition is shifted to the ability to play in first person POV then EQ, EQ2  and several others are FPS, but I have never heard them called that. Perhaps you're thinking of manual aiming as opposed to point and click or tab-targetting.

Only--  Despite any faults it may have MO is a full loot sandbox game.  For that matter, so is Xsyon.  Aventurine may deserve some credit for going against the trend towards "theme park" games but they don't get a pass for being the ONLY full loot sandbox. 

Back to the original topic, almost 3 1/2 years passed between the first beta sign up and the release of Darkfall 1.0. In light of that and the fact that the release of 2.0 has already been pushed back fromby 2-3 months, it's natural for people to want a little more concrete info on the state of the game and when it will be released.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by osmunda

Back to the original topic, almost 3 1/2 years passed between the first beta sign up and the release of Darkfall 1.0. In light of that and the fact that the release of 2.0 has already been pushed back fromby 2-3 months, it's natural for people to want a little more concrete info on the state of the game and when it will be released.

Thought I would high-light and make it a bit bigger.  image

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by xzyax

How does that have any relevance to DFUW? Are you holding grudges? 

Darkfall also had roughly 10 employees working during 1.0, you cannot come to the conclusion that DFUW will go through the same process. Yes the company is the same but that's the only thing. 

That's like me stating that Germany is likely to invade Europe again. Stop living in the past. 

Use common sense - the game is releasing this year. That is a FACT. Most likely in late winter/early spring. That is a PROBABILITY. 

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

I got a fact for you..  The combat in DF is boring as hell.  Theres lots of great aspects in the game but for me a good smooth fun combat system is num 1 factor for longivity in a game and Darkfall falls way way short in combat it is incredible boring and dumbed down for carebears to frollock and play.

They already got my 30 bones, and if they rework combat I will give the beta more of my time but at the moment I am very much over darkfall.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by the420kid

I got a fact for you..  The combat in DF is boring as hell.  Theres lots of great aspects in the game but for me a good smooth fun combat system is num 1 factor for longivity in a game and Darkfall falls way way short in combat it is incredible boring and dumbed down for carebears to frollock and play.

They already got my 30 bones, and if they rework combat I will give the beta more of my time but at the moment I am very much over darkfall.

The combat in every oPvP released or in beta currently also sucks. 

I mean you would think that maybe after playing Age of Wushu, or Path of Exile, hell even Rift you would find more decent combat than in DFUW beta. But nope, it pretty much all sucks dude. Name me a full loot sandbox MMORPG with good combat that was released in the past year and I will happily go play that. 

AV doesn't even have to try because the niche they are going for currently has no competition. 

Now someone will probably mention MO. While that game does have decent combat I guess again there are way too many downfalls to participate in combat. So even when a sandbox game has good combat that doesn't mean shit if the game is unplayable.

How does that have any relevance to DFUW? Are you holding grudges? 

Darkfall also had roughly 10 employees working during 1.0, you cannot come to the conclusion that DFUW will go through the same process. Yes the company is the same but that's the only thing. 

That's like me stating that Germany is likely to invade Europe again. Stop living in the past. 

Use common sense - the game is releasing this year. That is a FACT. Most likely in late winter/early spring. That is a PROBABILITY. 

From this link:  http://www.aventurine.gr/games/credits.html

(I could be wrong... but seems a couple more than 10).  image

DARKFALL DEVELOPER CREDITS

Executive Producer:

Zad Mehdawi 

Associate Producers:

Tasos Flambouras 
    Spiros Iordanis 

Lead Developer:

Kjetil Helland 

Lead Design/Producer:

Claus Grovdal 

Art Director:

Henning Ludvigsen 

Executive Team:

Zad Mehdawi 
    Tasos Flambouras 
    Claus Grovdal 
    Kjetil Helland 
    Spiros Iordanis 
    Erik Sperling Johansen 
    Henning Ludvigsen 
    Ricki Sickenger 

Lead Programmer:

Kjetil Helland 

Lead Server/Network Programmer:

Erik Sperling Johansen 

Lead Tools Programmer:

Ricki Sickenger 

Senior Engine Programmer:

Rasmus Bording 

Senior Gamelogic Programmers:

Lars Erik Liljeback 
    Erik Sperling Johansen 

Senior AI Programmers:

Mirco Sanguineti 
    George Passalis 

Senior GUI Programmer:

Michael G. Belivanakis 

Senior Tools Programmers:

Thanos Nikolopoulos 
    Erik Sperling Johansen 

Senior Programmer:

Chris Mamounis 

Senior Web Programmer:

Manolis Benetos 

Additional Web Programming:

Alexander Megalokonomos 

Lead World/Lore Design:

Bjorn Tore Oren 

Senior Game Designer:

Trond Evanger 

Game Designer:

Adam Oikonomopoulos 
    Kjetil Helland 

Lead Artist:

Henning Ludvigsen 

Senior Animators:

George Dionysopoulos 
    Roman T. Tassios 
    Constantine Krystallis 

Additional Animation:

David Saber 

Senior Artists:

Jon Hughes 
    George Dionysopoulos 
    Roman T. Tassios 
    Constantine Krystallis 

Artists:

Fotis Tsantilas 

Additional Art:

Nick Deligaris 
    Kostas Diamantis 
    Costas Pateras 
    Jonny Ree 
    Natascha Roosli 

Lead World Builders:

Vagelis Velegrakis 

Worldbuilding;

George Ballas 
    Nick Kasolos 
    Sotiris Michas 
    Kosmas Papadopoulos 
    Natascha Roosli 
    Bjorn Tore Oren 

Additional Worldbuilding:

Panagiotis Grigoropoulos 
    Giorgos Gyftopoulos 

Quality Assurance Manager:

George Ballas 

Quality Assurance:

Paraskevas Grigoriou 
    Tassos Vourexakis 

Audio Engineer/Sound Designer:

Panagiotis Kouvelis 

Assistant Audio Engineer:

Mary Sitara 

Music Composers:

Vanias Apergis 

Voice Actors:

Duncan Skinner 
    Panagiotis Kouvelis 
    Margarita Kouveli 
    Faye Rigopoulou 
    Lida Psihaki 
    Jo Lightance 
    Minas Ganotidis 
    Periklis Fotiadis 
    Panagiotis Papageorgiou 
    Mary Sitara 

System Administration:

Alexandros C. Couloumbis 
    Erik Sperling Johansen
  • MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178

Man!  Does Tasos and Aventurine ... suck...

DarkFall: Unholy Wars was never, ever close to release... despite what Tasos told us in the video interview posted here on MMORPG.COM at the end of November, 2012.  (And was predicted by some). image

Over a month and half since DarkFall was supposed to release.  We have Tasos' own words telling us it is release ready months before... and now silence.  I guess now we know what it sounds like.  image

I think this clip from Fargo is more appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gwc4UizUc

Still nothing from Tasos for the general public on their official web-site and the NDA is firmly in place.  Nothing inspires confidence in a MMO like an NDA!  image
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I played Darkfall on and off for 4 years, and was, at best, cannon fodder.  But I loved it.

I played Unholy Wars from the beginning of beta til about 4 days ago, and have no plans on playing again.  I know a lot of folks who feel this way, and it makes me sad.

Yeah I agree, I just dont like UW.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Still nothing from Tasos for the general public on their official web-site and the NDA is firmly in place.  Nothing inspires confidence in a MMO like an NDA!  image

The NDA is what is saving this game atm, silence is the best thing for UW atm.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Azdul
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Of course, that could be cool for me since I live in Asia with the ping and all, but at the same time, f2p pvp is kind of sketchy. Also, who knows when and if that will ever happen considering what's going on with DFUW. The only way I see it done is if the Korean partner already has the game (DF1) as part of the deal for the financial backing of DFUW, and they are refitting it for f2p. I just hope it's not p2w... 

They won't launch old (DF 1) as F2P - it will be the new one (DF:UW).

No matter how old players praise DF 1 - it wouldn't have any appeal to F2P audience - it doesn't look great and is needlessly complicated.

nope.  it will be the old DF1.  PWN_FACE heard right.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyer
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyerYou have to give credit where credit is due. They're the only ones creating a full loot, massive pvp conquest, fps game.

Well you almost had a good point.

Sadly though, this is just not true.

There is another full loot massive pvp conquest with FIrst Person view, among a massive amount of far more innovative and impressive features, MMORPG being created.

It is called Embers of Caerus.

There are other, better, options coming.  There's no real need to get suckered and support incompetent devs

Look through the features in the link, and you'll see a staggering difference in what is being attempted by both companies.

Aventurine had their chance to do it right, and had to shut down Darkfall.  Why give them another chance on a worse version, when other devs are creating better games?

Because like I said.... they're the only game in town. when does Embers come out......? Like 2015 or something?

There seems to be a big influx of sandbox hardcore mmo's coming out and that's GREAT. But they're not out yet and they can't be judged. You can't say that better options are coming until they're here because a big part of the darkfall hate is the hype/promises that they didn't live up to. I'm not sure why you think embers is immune to this.

Remind me again when Darkfall 2010 was released?

Or is there even a release date for it at all at this point?

What? You know the beta is out? And I've played it? Not to mention darkfall 1... You're not making any sense. We're talking about AV and the games they make. 

How exactly can you say Embers if better if it's not even CLOSE to being out? There's like what 1 dungeon test concept video?

I'm going off the proposed features - since neither game is released, or has an exact release date.

You know the beta came after two seperate months of AV saying the game was release ready and a blatant lie about Steam?

I'm simply noting that it is possible for Embers to come out before Darkfall UW sees a release.  Even if UW comes out first, the chances of it having anywhere close to the features of Embers, or even having a positive, fun, bug free experience is extremely slim - and I'm basing that simply on Aventurines past games :)

lol

i thought you had a small shred of intelligence until i saw you're last few posts on this thread.  rofl

Corpus Callosum    

Although I agree with most of you and while Tasos should be receiving flak due to a buggy unfinished game the fact still remains that it is the only FPS full loot sandbox available to play by pre-ordering. Games such as The Repopulation and Archeage have barely been announced and will probably release around q3 q4 2012, which still gives people a huge downtime in between while craving a sandbox. 

If you drop the "pre" from pre ordering, Mortal Online makes Darkfall no longer the "only" one.

A FPS doesn't have over the shoulder POV.

The funny part to me, is how DarkfallFanatic doesn't even know what year it is.  Might be a side effect of waiting for Darkfall 2010 so long ;)

Picking on a guy for a typo? I really wouldn't expect anything else from you at this point. You're nothing more than a typical, angry, snide, entitled forum dweller. How sad it must be to spend so much of your time talking about a game/company you hate.

I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this video game that you had to attack me personally.

I'd prefer to just discuss gaming though in the future.

lol   how deliciously and absurdly ironic!  on several levels.

here you are devoting a large amount of time to saying shit about Darkfall, as if it was a PERSON that you hold a great grudge against.  

perhaps a PERSON that touched you in a bad place.

and your faith in Embers of Caerus while talking about what a deep wound Darkfall left in your psyche, is astonishing, hilarious and semi-disturbing.

Corpus Callosum    

the game isn't out and could end up being even more of a disappointment than darkfall.

I read that bit, and thought "the same could apply to Darkfall Unholy Wars"

But yes, because you said there was nothing being created with those features, followed by me showing an example of an mmorpg being created wtih those features, I feel that showed your statement was incorrect.

I mean if you want to write a new statement and focus it more so it eliminates any possibility for any other game to be included, I'll let ya go ahead and do that.  But with what you said earlier, it was a perfect counter example.  Just how it works.  Feel free to say a different version that specifies an exact phase of the development cycle that darkfall just happens to meet, that should make it seem like there are no alternatives a bit more hehe

No there's no weaseling around here, it's obvious what I've been saying from the beginning. I look at games practically. All things considered, would you rather play a hardcore full loot large scale conquest pvp game with problems or none at all? It's downright silly to think I would be talking about any game being created because the point is that darkfall had high expectations and ended up being disappointing. Why would I compare a game that's mostly out (we at least have a good idea of how it works) to a game that is purely conceptual? It's apples and oranges. I'm dumbfounded that I even have to explain this to you, it's very obvious you're just trying to save some dignity after all of the dumb stuff you've said.

Go back and reread this conversation. The fact is you tried to argue the point for a while until it was clear you had no leg to stand on, so you start arguing semantics. 

yep.  altho anybody with half a brain who reads what he/she has to say in this thread will be ignoring his/her posts in the future.  

so maybe it all turned out for the best.  8)

its hilarious how he/she argued with me about the danger of introducing bugs, as being something to be afraid of when considering whether or not to add a bubble chat feature to Darkfall.  

and here he/she is going on about Embers Of Caerus, like its a sure thing.

and EoC is one of the most ridiculously overambitious MMOs ever.    lol

i didn't spend much time reading about all the supposed promises that Darkfall made, but from everything that i recall, EoC is FAR more unrealistic in their publicly stated goals.

and yet Darkfall is vapourware, while EoC is on lockdown.  hahahahhahaha

Corpus Callosum