Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Themeparkers Unite!

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
We need more MMOs like SWTOR and WoW! This is the future of MMOs!

Comments

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    You bored and just looking to create a flame post for your amusement?

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by steelheartx
    You bored and just looking to create a flame post for your amusement?

Seems like it.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

it's uplifting to see a person so personally involved in himself that he feels the need to try and make sure others don't have a source of enjoyment.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I enjoy well made themeparks made with ambition and scope, and a spark or two of innovation.

So, yeah, SWTOR wasn't a good game for me.

But I *do* enjoy the themepark model (as well as sandbox elements). I have played them since EQ and will carry on doing so as long as I find them fun.

Couldn't really give a crap about the preferences or judgements of others tbh.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I like good games, doesnt matter if they are Themepark or Sand Box.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I love SWTOR, TSW is great as well.. so yep I am a big fan of themepark. Sandboxes bore me as I hate crafting, decorating houses, farming etc... it's enough that I have to do it in real like.

I don't have in real life though life of a hero who saves galaxy /grin...

But I respect that others have different tastes, so I plead to all here... we all like something different, so please respect that we can actually love games that you don't  :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I love SWTOR, TSW is great as well.. so yep I am a big fan of themepark. Sandboxes bore me as I hate crafting, decorating houses, farming etc... it's enough that I have to do it in real like.

But I respect that others have different tastes, so I plead to all here... we all like something different, so please respect that we can actually love games that you don't  :)

As an avid "sandboxer" I have always believed that there should be a healthy amount of quality themepark mmos for those interested in that sort of thing.

For all of the people arguing for x side, it should really be clear that the best outcome would be a strong mix of both game style types as well as hybrid in between. Not everyone likes the same thing.

But you do realise that you don't have to spend your time just moving chairs around to look cool in your house, in a sandbox right? I'd suggest that leading a player corp who dominates the game world through combat, territory control and player politics is probably more "heroic" than every single player running through a storyline and getting the "hero of newtown" tag.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I personally don't care if it's themepark, action, sandbox, or whatever title you want to give a game genre.  If I'm having a good time playing it, that's all that really matters :)

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

A true sandbox would have no quests, and no story, right?

What if the players makes the quests like Neverwinter's Foundry?

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I personally don't care if it's themepark, action, sandbox, or whatever title you want to give a game genre.  If I'm having a good time playing it, that's all that really matters :)

This is all that matters in the end.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by funcon
    We need more MMOs like SWTOR and WoW! This is the future of MMOs!

No no no.  We need more sandpark MMOs like Mortal Online and Darkfall.  That is the future of MMOs!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Good games are good games. I don't like to restrict myself to just one type of game. I've played great theamparks and great sandbox mmos.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Good games are good games. I don't like to restrict myself to just one type of game. I've played great theamparks and great sandbox mmos.

WOW is certainly a great game. There is no reason why we shouldn't have more great games like WOW.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

As an avid "sandboxer" I have always believed that there should be a healthy amount of quality themepark mmos for those interested in that sort of thing.

For all of the people arguing for x side, it should really be clear that the best outcome would be a strong mix of both game style types as well as hybrid in between. Not everyone likes the same thing.

But you do realise that you don't have to spend your time just moving chairs around to look cool in your house, in a sandbox right? I'd suggest that leading a player corp who dominates the game world through combat, territory control and player politics is probably more "heroic" than every single player running through a storyline and getting the "hero of newtown" tag.

Did I add that I also hate PvP? :) And I am not very social, nor I like compettitive play. As I say... we all like different things, that's why SWTOR is absolutely perfect for me and games like Age of Wushu or Eve are absolutely unplayable for me.

Matter of personality :) But thanks for suggestions :) I am sure it will be helpful for others.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    There so few WoW clones on the market!  I can't believe nobody thought to do this.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I like both styles. I used to play both WoW and SWG. I liked one for my fantasy fix and one for my sci-fi. Sometimes I like questing, so I would occasionaly jump in WoW for them...and for the occasional dungeon run.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by funcon
    Originally posted by Gravarg

This is all that matters in the end.

in the end...yes. but there's no end without a begining and players don't begin a new MMO unless the features listed sound interesting.

You also can't have an end without a middle... ^^   Well before that, most people should have a sense of either enjoying the game, or should be looking for another.  In an ideal world, you should hook your players within the first ten minutes.  But as you may have noticed, this is anything but an ideal world.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

WOW is certainly a great game. There is no reason why we shouldn't have more great games like WOW.

And no reason to only make games like wow ;)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I enjoy themeparks more then sandboxes because who wants to stand around doing all sorts of menial tasks when you could be enjoying the greatest systems a game genre offers.

What I don't like are the actual cash grabs trying to leech off the success of WoW.  If you want me to enjoy your themepark it better be different from the one I just left behind.  I aint driving halfway across the country like Clark Griswald from Family Vaction to Wallyworld when the local Carney has the same attractions.

Thats why I applaud and support the eff out of games like GW2, NWO and ESO.  Games that offer somethign different!!!!!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

So shocked such a statement comes from you of all people!

/sarcasm off

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    If we have more Themepark MMOs, how will anyone become a "true" MMO player? Doesn't sound fair...
This discussion has been closed.