Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Mortal Online: Free to Play, But Not Bug-Free

Comments

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110

I like how on the MO forums if you point out a corrupt GM or a broken mechanic in the game you're banned yet posts like this are promoted and even "Liked" by GM's....

"SV shoved a dildo up his ass. Every time he sits down, he feels inclined to badmouth MO on public forums."  <<< That's their response to the facts people like Slapshot point out. Says it all really.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

6.2 is a pretty generous rating. Much more generous than I would of been you can be sure

Maybe I'm bitter from being lied to by this company, or the fact that I gave into there lies for so long. For all you old time MO'ers...Sausage Lake anyone?

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

@slapshot::

Hmmm. I was hoping for an actual response. What are those games?  The only one I have significant hopes for is WoD onlinem but that is still well over the horizon. What other  games should I be keeping an eye on?

@hackzor "IS not a free to play is a unlimited Trial  they liee people :(" --- That is what they call a distinction without a difference.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Doomtec

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

However, the truth is that even with the bugs, MO is still the best damn sandbox MMORPG since SWG.

Should always add "in my opinion" with a statement like that in regards to games like MO because most would disagree. 

This is MMORPG.com, where "most" wouldn't know a good game if it hit them in the face.

This is MMORPG.com The Honey Boo Boo Child of MMO Journalism.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

gotta love this site. bunch of people jumping on the bash bandwagon, talking shit about a game they have never played, in response to a "review" of the tutorial area.

There are those of us here on that "bash bandwagon" who have played it, were expecting a game that wasn't shit, and have been sorely disappointed by SV's unprofessionalism and their ability to deceive players. There's nothing to defend.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782

Originally posted by Toferio

Originally posted by Lahuzer

And 6/10 innovation is nothing but a joke.

How is it a joke? On scale WoW to Minecraft it seems to be fair to rate it somewhere in the middle. Only because you are doing something different or more complex (crafting) does not mean you innovate, MO still falls under the medieval fantasy genre with typical features to it, even if done in a different way. 

A trully innovative title (chosing from available) would be a game like minecraft, LOVE, Otherland, Endless Forest, Puzzlepirates, EvE, UO. Those are titles that stand out from the generic fantasy wow formula.

I think Sebastian Persson, one of MOs devs answered it best. So I quote him.

"Looks fairly fair but, innovation 6/10?

Ya, first person only MMO sandbox with realtime combat, a free-form crafting system and a free-place dynamic territory system has really been done to death".

How many more MMOs fit to that description?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Originally posted by osmunda

@slapshot::

Hmmm. I was hoping for an actual response. What are those games?  The only one I have significant hopes for is WoD onlinem but that is still well over the horizon. What other  games should I be keeping an eye on?

I don't know what YOU should be keeping an eye on (since we seem to have different taste in what we consider a good/fun game), but there are a number of Sandbox games in the pipeline or Sandpark leaning to sandbox.  The three I am watching most intently are Pathfinder, Everquest Next and Archeage..

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

gotta love this site. bunch of people jumping on the bash bandwagon, talking shit about a game they have never played, in response to a "review" of the tutorial area.

lol your mad! bro XD game suxxors kiddo deel with it

• ThaBadManThaBadMan Member UncommonPosts: 23

Best MMO out, only MMO that is able to offer total freedom, a free open world, 1 blobal server, full loot and full pvp, dynamic crafting systems and realism(non wow, DF magic all over the place) 

Its the one and only sandbox MMO out.

This is the next gen, MMO world stop living for money and start progressing,, or offcourse stay with the themeparks and have fun with ur 12 year olds and die slowly.

Guidance is off the past, real thinking and hard work in games have returned and this time to stay. MO is the first of its kind, all others will simply build upon it ;D

The small little swedish company Star Vault outclassed ALL other MMO companies with less than 20 people and made a game ALL existing MMO companies could not, the MMO community should be ashamed to have lost their minds to money.

Star Vault breathes back fresh life into the MMO community and things look bright for the future.

Haters please hate on, I know u cant handle truth ;D Laters.

PS.Oh and hating mods dont delete this one too ploxx !!!!!

A wise man does not fear, a man afraid does not think.

Two little goblins out in the sun, down came a griffin.
    Then there was one.

Originally posted by heckz0r

IS not a free to play is a unlimited Trial  they liee people :(

Hmm do u have to pay to play Mortal ? mmmm no dont think so.

Is it free then ? Yes, why yes it is, it is free to play when u dont have to pay to play the game until the day u die ;D

I hope ur glad that I helped u understand the word FREE to play ;D 

Then there was one.

Originally posted by ThaBadMan

Is it free then ? Yes, why yes it is, it is free to play when u dont have to pay to play the game until the day u die ;D

How exactly would the current system differ from an "unlimited trial"?  Sure it is "free" to start, but to be effective in ANYTHING you have to pay.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

How exactly would the current system differ from an "unlimited trial"?  Sure it is "free" to start, but to be effective in ANYTHING you have to pay.

If u want to be best u mean yes, if u want to play and have fun then u can play for free.

Its only the mind that stops what u can do in a sandbox, would have been true though if MO was a themepark but it aint.

Then there was one.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

However, the truth is that even with the bugs, MO is still the best damn sandbox MMORPG since SWG.

Should always add "in my opinion" with a statement like that in regards to games like MO because most would disagree. 

This is MMORPG.com, where "most" wouldn't know a good game if it hit them in the face.

Amen to that, people here bash every game on the market this forum is for people to troll and hate on every game, its funny how alot of Devs refuse to come here because of this forum.... They allow people to trolls and ban people  who defend games, this happens alot here, the mods love to defend game when they get paid soon as that stops they join in on the bashing.  We see this... Sad  really how people get off on ruining others dreams , hopes, its because they do not have any... and are jealous of those that do have dreams.

If u want to be best u mean yes, if u want to play and have fun then u can play for free.

Its only the mind that stops what u can do in a sandbox, would have been true though if MO was a themepark but it aint.

I didn't say anything about being  "the best".  I said "effective".  With skills stuck at 60 you cannot be effective in the game.  So again, please explain how exactly this system would differ from an unlimited trial?

But you know what?  It's all arguing over minutia.  The FACT is that most people who tried the game do not continue playing.  Even that "big rush" that popped in when it went "F2P" has dramatically diminished.   The review was pretty much spot-on, and was even confirmed by one of the few developers left on the game as being accurate with the exception of his thinking one subscore might be low.  So a 6.2 = 62/100 = low D score.  Hardly what most would call "The best sandbox".  There was another sandbox that announced they had a 2800 player battle this week. Mortal players talk about epic 4 on 6 battles...

1.  Still no response on this this differs from an unlimited trial

2. If what you say is true and 60 skills to 100 skills are meaningless then why have skill ratings at all?  No, actually what you try and claim is blatantly false.  People with low skills hit for less damage, cannot wear good armor (and thus take more damage) and move slower.  There is a reason why everyone gets their skills to 100.

3.  Again, review is 100% spot on.  Even the developer agreed with it with the minor exception of one sub-score.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    The ignorance to state that MO is the "only" sandbox.. As for the "only the mind that stops what u can do in a sandbox".. come back when you can have boats and we'll talk. 

2. If what you say is true and 60 skills to 100 skills are meaningless then why have skill ratings at all?  No, actually what you try and claim is blatantly false.  People with low skills hit for less damage, cannot wear good armor (and thus take more damage) and move slower.  There is a reason why everyone gets their skills to 100.

3.  Again, review is 100% spot on.  Even the developer agreed with it with the minor exception of one sub-score.

1. Late response, but old trial were limited to 600 skill points if I remeber correctly. Now you can use all 1100 skill points. Meaning you can test alot of areas, and be good at most, but not the best. and the trial was only 14 days. Now you can play as long as you like. So differs ALOT from the old trial they had.

2. True, but it's like this with most f2p games. Don't see why this would be any different with MO. They need to make money somehow, and if you play the game and enjoy it, then you'll probably pay. What's the problem here?

3. Review is nowhere near 100% spot on. He didn't even leave Tindrem, and didn't even try 1/10 of all the features the game have. It's what some might experience in their first few days of MO, before you rly get into the game, and join a clan, clan warfare, harvest, craft, fish, butcher, tame, join events etc . I would be OK if it was a review of the tutorial of the game. But if your a journalist that is going to review a game, you need to dig deeper. It's like reviewing Super Mario World after playing through the first world only. It just doesn't add up.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

Dat necro.

Suppose I should post my video I impulse recorded of it of how horrifically bug ridden the game was.

Most of these issues haven't been fixed to my knowledge.

Still wishing I could play the game, but.. the bugs. I can't fathom how this game has active players.  Hell, I can't fathom how the game even played 2-3ish years ago (I beta'd it for like 15 minutes and never went back because my PC couldn't run it well back then, so I never got a good feel of it.)

1. Late response, but old trial were limited to 600 skill points if I remeber correctly. Now you can use all 1100 skill points. Meaning you can test alot of areas, and be good at most, but not the best. and the trial was only 14 days. Now you can play as long as you like. So differs ALOT from the old trial they had.

2. True, but it's like this with most f2p games. Don't see why this would be any different with MO. They need to make money somehow, and if you play the game and enjoy it, then you'll probably pay. What's the problem here?

3. Review is nowhere near 100% spot on. He didn't even leave Tindrem, and didn't even try 1/10 of all the features the game have. It's what some might experience in their first few days of MO, before you rly get into the game, and join a clan, clan warfare, harvest, craft, fish, butcher, tame, join events etc . I would be OK if it was a review of the tutorial of the game. But if your a journalist that is going to review a game, you need to dig deeper. It's like reviewing Super Mario World after playing through the first world only. It just doesn't add up.

1.  My question was "how does this differ from an unlimited trial.  Your response was how it differs from the old Mortal Online Trial.  That of course was not the question.

2. Again, not answering the question.  My question was in response to someone saying that it wasn't a big deal to lock the skills and that the difference between 60 and 100 was "meaningless".  So the question was:If it's true and the skills are "meaningless" then why have them?

3. You are allowed to have your opinion, even it it is  4 months late.  Probably spurred by the nice review that Darkfall:UW got.  I personally think BOTH REVIEWS WERE SPOT ON.

1.  My question was "how does this differ from an unlimited trial.  Your response was how it differs from the old Mortal Online Trial.  That of course was not the question.

2. Again, not answering the question.  My question was in response to someone saying that it wasn't a big deal to lock the skills and that the difference between 60 and 100 was "meaningless".  So the question was:If it's true and the skills are "meaningless" then why have them?

3. You are allowed to have your opinion, even it it is  4 months late.  Probably spurred by the nice review that Darkfall:UW got.  I personally think BOTH REVIEWS WERE SPOT ON.

1. It differs in you being able to use all of the 1100 skill points. Not limited to 600 skill points.

2. Well, whomever that was is wrong ofc. That doesn't mean that your useless with a skill cap of 60. You could still beat a guy with maxed skills, if you rock in PVP and know your shiiiit. Ofc the odds are against you, but your not useless. The odds are just lower on the other guy winning.

3. Ohh, I haven't even read it. Need to do that and get back to ya. Or respond there. I sure hope he did more then MOs reviewer. I was afraid early on when he had gotten 2k prowess or something from playing the game 20 hours. So need to get back on DFUW review.

But I would never call this a review of Mortal Online. And you agreeing to it being "spot on" ain't a chocker to any1 that knows how you dispise everything with MO and SV. But if one just looks at the job that he did as a journalist objectivly. Reviewing a game. He barely scratched the surface of what MO is about. You call it "spot on". I call it bad journalism.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

1. It differs in you being able to use all of the 1100 skill points. Not limited to 600 skill points.

2. Well, whomever that was is wrong ofc. That doesn't mean that your useless with a skill cap of 60. You could still beat a guy with maxed skills, if you rock in PVP and know your shiiiit. Ofc the odds are against you, but your not useless. The odds are just lower on the other guy winning.

3. Ohh, I haven't even read it. Need to do that and get back to ya. Or respond there. I sure hope he did more then MOs reviewer. I was afraid early on when he had gotten 2k prowess or something from playing the game 20 hours. So need to get back on DFUW review.

But I would never call this a review of Mortal Online. And you agreeing to it being "spot on" ain't a chocker to any1 that knows how you dispise everything with MO and SV. But if one just looks at the job that he did as a journalist objectivly. Reviewing a game. He barely scratched the surface of what MO is about. You call it "spot on". I call it bad journalism.

How in the world is it bad journalism.  No reviewer has the time to get the in depth gameplay like you propose.  This is the real world, not some fantasy world where a reviewer has unlimited time to try out a game.  You should give some thought to what you say before proposing things that just highly unreasonable.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

How in the world is it bad journalism.  No reviewer has the time to get the in depth gameplay like you propose.  This is the real world, not some fantasy world where a reviewer has unlimited time to try out a game.  You should give some thought to what you say before proposing things that just highly unreasonable.

Well it's the same guy that reviewed DFUW. ANd guess what. In DFUW somehow he actually tried being in a clan. And even better. He was in the same clan as this sites own employee RipperX. Who clearly loves the game, and promotes it all over the place. I'm guessing he was "alittle" affected by them. But that's not the point. DFUW shines in clan warfare when you don't crash etc. Just as much as MO shines in clan warfare when the prediction system etc don't fuck things up. But he never even tried getting into a clan in MO, even though peeps reached out to him to help him out, and show him the ropes. He went solo, all alone in Tindrem, never even venturing out into the world. If he clearly had time for all that jazz in DFUW, why not in MO? I think he gave DFUW a rather fair score, but I think he did a rly poor job on MO.

Well it's the same guy that reviewed DFUW. ANd guess what. In DFUW somehow he actually tried being in a clan. And even better. He was in the same clan as this sites own employee RipperX. Who clearly loves the game, and promotes it all over the place. I'm guessing he was "alittle" affected by them. But that's not the point. DFUW shines in clan warfare when you don't crash etc. Just as much as MO shines in clan warfare when the prediction system etc don't fuck things up. But he never even tried getting into a clan in MO, even though peeps reached out to him to help him out, and show him the ropes. He went solo, all alone in Tindrem, never even venturing out into the world. If he clearly had time for all that jazz in DFUW, why not in MO? I think he gave DFUW a rather fair score, but I think he did a rly poor job on MO.

Pretty sure that EVERY review (excluding the one written by the guy who posted in the "What can you do to help Mortal Online" thread was very similar.  I am sure they are all wrong.

1. Again.. how does that differ from an unlimited trial?  You still have no answered this question.

2. I agree he was wrong, that is why I responded as I did.

As for your last point.  Every review except the one written by the guy who posted in the "What Can You Do To Support MO" thread was similar (over the past nearly 3 years...).  If it was one oddity you might have a case,  but the overwhelming majority of reviews, re-reviews, re-re-reviews and reviews after 2.5 years of release.. have been similar.  So they COULD all be wrong of course and you could be the only sane person... but I think that's unlikely.  Again though, it's certainly subjective but your opinion is very much outside the norm.

Originally posted by Slapshot118
    Originally posted by Slapshot118

1.  Still no response on this this differs from an unlimited trial.

3.  Again, review is 100% spot on.  Even the developer agreed with it with the minor exception of one sub-score

1. Again.. how does that differ from an unlimited trial?  You still have no answered this question.

2. I agree he was wrong, that is why I responded as I did.

As for your last point.  Every review except the one written by the guy who posted in the "What Can You Do To Support MO" thread was similar (over the past nearly 3 years...).  If it was one oddity you might have a case,  but the overwhelming majority of reviews, re-reviews, re-re-reviews and reviews after 2.5 years of release.. have been similar.  So they COULD all be wrong of course and you could be the only sane person... but I think that's unlikely.  Again though, it's certainly subjective but your opinion is very much outside the norm.

1. Hmm, it differs in that you can have more skills to make use of with the extra 500 skill points?

2. I just said that you can make yourself usefull even at a limit of 60 in a skill.

I haven't read any other re-reviews of MO then this one. Please point me to all the others re-reviews out there, and I tell you if I think they are fair. My point is. If your suppose to test a game like MO or DFUW, you need to test the core aspects of the game. In both these games it's exploring, being in a clan, crafting etc. NOT stay in beginner city and do nothing. He did NONE of those things I mentioned in MO, but he went with his MMORPG buddy RipperX, that loves DFUW more then most, and tested that in DFUW. Why not in MO? When several people offered him the same help. Maybe if RipperX had played MO we could have gotten a more fair score. :P Or if he had played with one of MOs big fanbois like Diph. I'm pretty damn sure he would have gotten into the game more with him showing him the ropes of the game. My problem is him not testing these aspects of the game at all. With or without RipperX or Diph. That's where I think THIS review fails. Had he tested how it was in a clan, crafted and explored and then still don't like it. I would have accepted it, cause then he at least would have tried the games most important parts.

Edit. Your saying that the only positive review was made by the guy that wrote "What Can You Do To Support MO". This guy, the same guy that made DFUW review, got most of his ingame experience by playing with RipperX, that promotes DFUW more then any1 else I've seen. I don't see how DFUW positive review should count, if you think the positive review for MO was biased... I don't see much difference between those two reviews now.