Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am extremely upset with how terrible the gaming community is...

13»

Comments

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I think the MMO gaming community at large is going down hill.  While not everyone, there is a very loud, vocal bunch that are just simply entitled.  They trash every developer, publisher, game, etc... for any reason.  They're greedy, selfish, and out of touch and can ruin entire gaming experiences.

Announce a P2P game.... get trashed. 

Announce a F2P game.... get trashed.

Announce a B2P game.... get trashed.

This group will trash a game experience for being a "clone", for not being "pretty enough", for not being "innovative enough", for being "too easy",  for being "too hard", for being "too mainstream", and for being "too niche".

I for one would HATE to be a game developer right now.... especially a MMO developer.

In PoE's case... its sad really.  It actually is a very good game.  However, the same people who have been hyping the game as the "Diablo killer" before open beta are now trashing it for being either a "clone" or "not good enough".  

And if you liked the Diablo series... please please please try this game.  It's actually great (you will just need to ignore some of those rabid community members).

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I've been playing solo for awhie, not for this reason but for the ninja looting.  It seems 99% of the community are 3 year olds screaming "MINE!" when something drops lol.  I only play with friends I know, they don't ninja loot friends at least, or if they do by accident, they at least give it back if you ask for it lol.

Edit: The game just isn't as fun solo though.  I like to get up there and have all the monsters try to beat me up on my marauder, and have my fellow mates do all the killing hehe.  I got maxed resists, magic does almost nothing to me hahaha.

Edit 2:  I loved diablo 3, made me lots of money hehe.  This game is much better though.  I was planning on switching completely over, as diablo 3 seems to have lost it's luster and I can't make much money anymore.  The community is the only thing that's stopping me from doing so.

• Anoebis.beAnoebis.be Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by rwyan

And if you liked the Diablo series... please please please try this game.  It's actually great (you will just need to ignore some of those rabid community members).

Could not agree more! I grew up with Diablo and Diablo 2 and ARPG games are my roots. 

The day Diablo 3 was announced, it was one of the best days of my life. The day that made me realize Diablo 3 is not worth to be called a Diablo game, was one of the worst in my life... until I found Path of Exile.

I stopped playing Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and WoW just to play Path of Exile... and I haven´t looked back since! So yes, if you are a true Diablo fan then you REALLY want to check out this game because it is everything Diablo 3 should have been.

And to all the haters out there... shut up and go enjoy the game you love and leave others alone.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I was just told about this game yesterday.

Sounds interesting, maybe I will give it a few weeks before I give it a test run.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Sunscour

I was just told about this game yesterday.

Sounds interesting, maybe I will give it a few weeks before I give it a test run.

GGG has fixed stuff up really quickly, I still love playing it just hate the 3 minute downs that happen every now and then. It has gotten alot better, but you may be smart to wait just a little bit for them to get everything under control before joining. 

It is an amazingly fun game.

• MisatoTremorMisatoTremor Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by LadyEuphei
    *snip* Maybe I have not noticed it and it has always been this toxic. Maybe it is because I went from being anonymous to putting my self out there. Either way, I really hope things clean up and I can be proud to be a gamer again.

I'm replying to this a little late. But - just as an example - it hasn't been that way about 10 years ago.

Sure there also where people like that, but they where very, very few and they must have felt very lonely. Nowadays it seems that they are a crowd ant it's getting bigger and bigger. Very sad.

Misato - TankDoc for Life
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

this is a issue not just in gaming but in general online period. There is a ton of keyboard warriors out there including on this site as well that deserve to be traced back to where they live and have the holy hell beat out of their face seriously. People have way to much freedom on the net to say the most rude bullying things out there and when they do not get their way they try to ruin everyones lives around them. You cannot even turn on the TV anymore without seeing this happening just about everywhere , people with the net spout out garbage and hurtful things just for lulz. DDOS is just a teen or college kid throwing a temper tantrum and the communities nowadays condon it like all that mess is okay.

the ending of Jay and Silent Bob strikes back brings up a smile seriously here....

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    I wish OP would stop using the word "kid" when she knows fully well an adult is doing it...

The OP is most likely referring to the maturity level or intelligence of the attacker.

It takes an adult to do real damage to a network.  A DDOS script is easy to run.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

Have the devs actually come out and said it was a DDOS attack. It only gets bad during prime time which leads me to believe that their severs simply can't handle the amount of people trying to play.

And for the love of god when will companies learn to put their website on a seperate server from their game so they are not both down at the same time?

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by shamall

Have the devs actually come out and said it was a DDOS attack. It only gets bad during prime time which leads me to believe that their severs simply can't handle the amount of people trying to play.

And for the love of god when will companies learn to put their website on a seperate server from their game so they are not both down at the same time?

Posted earlier by the OP of this thread:

"Path of Exile ‏@Sammosapian We were sent packet logs from our host - it's definitely a DDOS." - direct quote from their twitter.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by syntax42
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    I wish OP would stop using the word "kid" when she knows fully well an adult is doing it...

The OP is most likely referring to the maturity level or intelligence of the attacker.

It takes an adult to do real damage to a network.  A DDOS script is easy to run.

Which sucks, how easy it is.  I used to have a Quake 3 server with my clan and if you banned someone with enough know-how we could expect the server to go down for a while.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

I doubt many people know this but DDOSing someone is a crime that can land you in jail for many years.

In the United Kingdom specifically outlawed denial-of-service attacks and set a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

Within the US its a federal crime and that can rack you up a few years in jail.

So if someone does threaten to DDOS you while you are streaming. If it all comes from a single IP address (its possible) you can easily trace them back and prosecute them.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

D? Denial of Service (DDOS) - What does the extra D stand for ?

And why are there no conspiracy theories about it yet ? Yeah it suck, but I don't really see attackers as gaming community.

I switched general chat off after 14 mins, tried to help you some newbies with answers but the chat window just eats up too much of the game windom and my attention. I wish they would fix some of the more basic problems, like the chat window, friendly targeting... anyways, the good stuff is still better than the annoying stuff.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by shamall

Posted earlier by the OP of this thread:

"Path of Exile ‏@Sammosapian We were sent packet logs from our host - it's definitely a DDOS." - direct quote from their twitter.

Well then if thats the case,  I wonder what Blizzard has been up to this weekend, nothing I'm sure.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170
    According to Wikipedia: A distributed denial of service attack (DDoS) occurs when multiple systems flood the bandwidth or resources of a targeted system, usually one or more web servers. This is the result of several compromised systems (for example a botnet) flooding the targeted system(s) with several packets. When a server is overloaded with connections, new connections can no longer be accepted.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by cronius77

this is a issue not just in gaming but in general online period. There is a ton of keyboard warriors out there including on this site as well that deserve to be traced back to where they live and have the holy hell beat out of their face seriously. People have way to much freedom on the net to say the most rude bullying things out there and when they do not get their way they try to ruin everyones lives around them. You cannot even turn on the TV anymore without seeing this happening just about everywhere , people with the net spout out garbage and hurtful things just for lulz. DDOS is just a teen or college kid throwing a temper tantrum and the communities nowadays condon it like all that mess is okay.

the ending of Jay and Silent Bob strikes back brings up a smile seriously here....

One wrong doesn't warrant another.  Little or nothing would be gained by such a course of action.  In fact, it could be *quite* dangerous for all parties concerned.  Goonies will be Goonies.   The best one can do is ignore them (and thus remove some of their reward). If they step far enough out of line (threats or such) screen shot it and send it to the Mods/GM's/Devs.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • PuffingtonPuffington Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by kjempff

And why are there no conspiracy theories about it yet ? Yeah it suck, but I don't really see attackers as gaming community.

I switched general chat off after 14 mins, tried to help you some newbies with answers but the chat window just eats up too much of the game windom and my attention. I wish they would fix some of the more basic problems, like the chat window, friendly targeting... anyways, the good stuff is still better than the annoying stuff.

Distributed. Also helps to differentiate from the Operating System.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Pretty sure Blizzard is behind the attacks, right guys?
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Purutzil
    I blame Diablo 3 people in denail a good ARPG can exist and decide to feel the need to DDoS it in hopes it is stopped in fear it will over-take their game they spent so much time on.

Perfect example right here of "how terrible the gaming community is".

I must have /ignored a few hundred people in PoE already for showing off their hipster credentials by saying how much D3 sucks. General chat is actually pretty good now, it's mostly new players asking genuine questions and getting good answers.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    The global chat in this game is horrnedous, its nothing but a "Diablo 3 sucks" circle jerk. Reminds me of the guys hanging out in the SWTOR forums, whom hate that game so much that they have been spending more THAN A YEAR now, bitching and moaning on how that game ruined their life. Seriously, that's a year shaved off their lives, spent crying about a mere videogame. It's pathetic.  

Some gamers need to learn how to move on. Feels like I'm hanging around a bunch of entitled teenagers whom don't know what real problems are...which may infact be the case.  
  • MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

The extra D stands for distributed, as in originating from multiple IPs so you can't block the offenders ip. 

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by MortisRex

The extra D stands for distributed, as in originating from multiple IPs so you can't block the offenders ip. 

It means the attacker is using a script which commands other computers to attack a target.  This makes it very hard to trace the origination point of the attack because the originator does not need to communicate with the target.  One popular method of setting this up is to infect people's computers with a trojan or other malware.  Plenty of people still use Internet Explorer and get infected through flash-based ads.  The malware then "listens" on an IRC channel (or other simple chat channel) for the command to attack a target.  

That's where the extra D comes from, and what it means by "distributed" attack.  Commanding hundreds of computers to exploit something which causes extra CPU load on a router, switch, or server is much more effective than trying to send out packets to flood someone's down-stream by yourself.