Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rewarding positive posts

BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

HI, out of curiosity, what do you guys feel about the following idea that was mentioned elsewhere in this forum.  I’m not claiming it as my own ( I have seen a similar model in lots of other places) but I do think it is great mechanism that help's encourage a more positive attitude in forums.  Basic poll up.

The simple idea is to allow people to flag posts as a 'positive contribution' that adds  a point to the 'valued member' score/status of the author.  There is deliberately no way to negatively score a post.  The score would deteriorate slowly over time.  Very much like the poster score we get just now, but focused entirely on posts that people feel are positive. 

Personally i see lots of positive posts that have great insight that are subsequently drowned by the noise from petty side arguements etc.  I would gladly flag that author.

Ps we are just discussing the idea here, its not a plee to the site developers :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Comments

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I think you should allow negative scores.  I'd like to see how negative my score can go.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

The simple idea is to allow people to flag posts as a 'positive contribution'

Whats positive? Are viral marketing shills and their lies "positive"? Positive is subjective, that voice in the wilderness, the lantern at dusk. How about people stop trying to control other peoples point of view? Just because it conflicts with yours doesn't make it less valid. I cannot understand why people long to make every forum an echo chamber for themselves.. It's probably why the industry keeps putting out crap, they only expose themselves to what they deem "positive", everything else is just "Hatahs hating" and ignored.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by dave6660
    I think you should allow negative scores.  I'd like to see how negative my score can go.

Absolutely not, thats entirely against the principle of encouraging positive behaviour.  you can already report people if you need to do that.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Originally posted by dave6660

Absolutely not, thats entirely against the principle of encouraging positive behaviour.  you can already report people if you need to do that.

Its tongue in cheek lmao not ment to be taken seriously. lmao

Originally posted by Theodwulf

Whats positive? Are viral marketing shills and their lies "positive"? Positive is subjective, that voice in the wilderness, the lantern at dusk. How about people stop trying to control other peoples point of view? Just because it conflicts with yours doesn't make it less valid. I cannot understand why people long to make every forum an echo chamber for themselves.. It's probably why the industry keeps putting out crap, they only expose themselves to what they deem "positive", everything else is just "Hatahs hating" and ignored.

As i said its about providing the facility to say 'hey that was a great post'.  Nothing more nothing less.  Positivity is subjective, so is negativity.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

So if I don't like Brand-X game, and haters are bashing the crap out of it, then I can uprank them, because they are "positive" at least from my perspective.

Without the ability to downrank a post, everyone will be rewarded whether positive or not.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    It would still be abused.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I like your idea OP.  There a few people here who make an effort to have an informative, helpful discussion (I fail at this sometimes).  I think they should be rewarded or shown some level of gratitude.  Years ago, the community would have better utilized something like this.

However, as the scoring of this poll shows, I think people come here for the side-bar arguements and drama.  I dont believe this site is truely about MMO news and discussion, rather than it is something that gets people through the work day with some level of excitement. 

I'll use the TESO forums as an example.  Scroll through the threads and see how many topics are actually discussing the game itself.  Few of them actually discuss the game, most are about some else entirely (meta topics I guess you could call them).

I would like to see your idea implemented though.  I dont see how it could hurt.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I don't believe this would be the right choice, but an E for effort in trying to find something to manage the negative and encourage the positive. If you like something a poster says tell them in their post, or email them a message if you want it to be more personal.

I believe what needs to be done is better and more frequent monitoring of the forums by the site. After a few corrections from monitors maybe at least a small handful would leave or straighten up. Beyond that I have little ideas at this time.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by XAPGames

So if I don't like Brand-X game, and haters are bashing the crap out of it, then I can uprank them, because they are "positive" at least from my perspective.

Without the ability to downrank a post, everyone will be rewarded whether positive or not.

The problem with having a "down vote" would be that people would vote against posts they disagree with, not on the quality of the post itself.  It would become a form of censorship, given this communities tendency towards "circle jerking."

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Reward a positive post with a positive reply.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I get the impression the internet changes quickly, so forums and other website need to do a balancing act:

1. Keep a certain style/familiarity aka house-rules for posters

2. Keep up with systems that are progressive

gaming the voting system is always going to happen, but how do you promote discussion, custom visualisation of discussion? Maybe the upvote/downvote system - maybe not - you decide! image

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

No way that system will work on a controversial forum.  I support PvE only.  Every PvP'er would auto down-slide me to negative or ignore my posts as positive.  That doesn't mean my opinion was a bad one.  It means their's was different.  Just can't work in this type atmosphere.  For that reason I would not vote anyone's up or down; I can't trust myself to be fair. 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

It's all subjective.

That system would have as much meaning as your mom giving you a "best kid in the world" award.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

this is a gaming forum, all achievement/reward systems are meaningless in this context.  These systems work well in some professional forums, and also in primary schools to develop positive behaviour :P  The only form of abuse would be where people malisciously give someone a +, ouch?!:P 

Heres an example we have all seen.  there is a post by someone who raises a great post in a positive manner.  That post is surrounded by vile and destructive posting by many who more  interested in being arguementative or just rude for the fun of it.  The original poster is disheartened and never posts again.  However he gets a couple +1's from those that like his post.  That person is encouraged by this.  I would post a +1 for this guy.  Ovee time this has a positive effect, however slight that may be.

re Downscoring people - no need, we just use ignore - job done. 

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I can see no harm in this system. We already have in place two options to support if you DO NOT agree with a poster: REPORT and BLOCK. Why not have 1 option to give kudos to someone without having to reply. Or hell do both if you so incline. I also agree that a negative option is not needed.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Sinjin213Sinjin213 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Theodwulf

+1.  Everyone will have a differing opinion of what is and isn't positive.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Yeah!  Kinda like a point system within the forums.  You could call the points "HUGS" and at the end of the month the one with the most "HUGS" get's to lead the community in one big "GROUP HUG."  Well that and a shiny new "Rainbow Sparkle Pony Avatar" for a month.

Sorry .....

/drops head in shame and leaves the thread

There are also some who treat forums as a mata game and try to get recognition etc.  This system provides a reward system to encourage people to try and get positive votes.  To get a vote they need to post something that people like - its winwin.  Sure some people may get friends to vote etc etc, but it doesnt actually matter because the real goal is rewarding great posts.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Such a system already exists with the blogs here. It might be worth it to encourage people to post their ideas there. The other thing you can do if you'd like to follow authors you like is to add them to your freinds list.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre