Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some more information about Archeage Prison system

junyojunyo Member Posts: 26

ArcheAge has a Karma system

Getting Karma Points

IF you gank someone his blood will be splattered everywhere(It's kinda gory) and witnesses to the crime can pick up the blood and submit it to a NPC, (just click on it in your inventory) and report it. Every time someone reports this you get 1 Karma point.

Also if you If you decide to steal something from someone else (ie steal someones crops or rob someones house), you will leave behind footprints for each item you steal. (you are given a pop-up window to confirm that you do in fact want to steal their stuff). Players can pick up these footprints and report you for the crime. Again you will get 1 Karma point each time you get reported.

Once you get to 50 Karma points you will be branded an outlaw, and a bounty will be placed on your head. The lucky player who defeats the outlaw gets the bounty and the outlaw will immediately go to jail to await trail. While in Jail you can search for items that may help you escape prison just in case you are found guilty.

The Trial

The Trail consists of 1 Judge and 4 members of the Jury. The Judge is either a player (players can become judges in the game), or a GM will be a judge. The jury is usually random people. The accused can make backroom deals with the jury(like bribing them or get a plea bargain.)

The Judge reads out the accused crimes and then follows what a normal trail would be like in real life. At the end the Judge and the Jury vote (the vote is out of 5). If the accused is found guilty they get sent to the Prison. Jail time is usually 75 mins. or longer depending on how many crimes you committed.

In Prison

You serve your time in a prison cell. If your on good behavior the NPC guards will let you out into the courtyard. You can escape or you can play the mini games in the prison to try and win that Prison costume. If you do escape you will receive a 50% debuff till you served your time. So unless you have friends on the outside, you might be in trouble.

Forgiveness Quests

There are Forgiveness Quests all thought the world. So if one want to get rid of their Karma they can do these, but these quests are long and hard to do.

Becoming a career Pirate/Criminal

If you want to become a criminal/Pirate full time, you need to accumulate 3,000 karma points. Once you do this you can go to Pirate Island and do the quests there. Once you compete them you get a massive buff, and can create a Pirate guild to rule the world.

But it does have some downsides, you will always have a bounty placed on your head. So another player can collect and you automatically go to Prison ( you get no Trail) and you can be in Prison for a long time. NPC's on the other continents will be red and kill you on site. 

And some video's below showing the prison

Here are some videos from the Germans.

Evil Fido has been going around ganking lowbies and stealing from other players. In this video he is stealing Trees from someones Tree farm.

Notice when he steals something he leaves footprints. Anyone can pick those up and take it to a NPC and he will get a Karma Point. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZxH-lOD9Kig

Eventually Evil Fido got a bounty on his head and a player killed him. In this video he is sent to jail to await trail, but the trail came up right away. 

Notice the Judge read him 5 pages worth of crimes. He had no money to bribe the jury so he was voted guilty, and his punishment was 120 mins in Prison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=49sr4HeK2xM

Eventually Evil Fido was let out of his Prison cell and allowed to wander for good behavior, as you can see he wanders around to collect the Prison costume, you can also see a couple of mini games you can play while your in there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5272bVIsjrQ

original post here  http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/100302-ArcheAge/threads/100302-ArcheAge/page9

Comments

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    This sounds amazing.  If everything plays out well and people actually take their roles seriously instead of just voting yes, you're a criminal etc., this will honestly be so awesome.  I'm already thinking of this game in terms of relation to Age of Wushu's jail system, which I honestly think it blows and never want to see that game again, and how much better it seems.  I really hope they can pull this game off successfully.
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Only issue I see is there is nothing to prevent corruption and bribery, jury stacking, jury tampering. LOL  In fact that can make it more  fun.

Eventually though, even if you bribe the jury to be found innocent every time, you will accumulate the crime points to be outlawed.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Sound very interesting. Even though I play a good guy. I cant wait for the game to come over to the US. C'mon Trion...Go,go,go!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Erm... 50 of my items can be stolen from my house and the guy can just serve a bit of prison time to work it off? That sounds potentiolly borked... especially as Westerners play these games.

Questions to clarify please...

Is there a time limit on the fingerprints/ bloods to find them and hand them in?

Does the criminal have a visible track of his karma?

Can my stuff be stolen while I am offline?

Are my goods returned to me if the perp is caught? Or is it just the bounty hunter that benefits, while I still get nothing back?

Can the jury be the same guild as the perp?

Does this system only apply to you if you steal/ PK people from your own contenant?

Can you work your karma off, or is the build up to 3000 unstoppable?

Are the bloods/ prints one time pick ups? ie once I collect it does it dissapear from the ground? If so, whats to stop me having 2 accounts... one to steal, the onter to follow me and clear up my evidence?

Can you explain more about the 'massive buff' that outlaws get?

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78
    It sounds awesome, but also exploitable by a small group for bounty gold.

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

Originally posted by Agrias34
    This sounds amazing.  If everything plays out well and people actually take their roles seriously instead of just voting yes, you're a criminal etc., this will honestly be so awesome. 

Well, the evidence is 100% that you did it, so the choices really come down to...

1. Are you my friend/ in my guild?

2. Can you bribe me?

3. Go to jail.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    This sounds amazing.  If everything plays out well and people actually take their roles seriously instead of just voting yes, you're a criminal etc., this will honestly be so awesome. 

Well, the evidence is 100% that you did it, so the choices really come down to...

2. Can you bribe me?

3. Go to jail.

You're deliberately  trying to simplify it.

The jury can see your track record, they can tell who you've killed, if you stole trees, who's trees and how many. The jury are selected at random so the chances of it always being your guild members are slim. 5 jury members are selected, the majority vote wins. So I guess unless you want to bribe all 5 for a lighter sentence go ahead and try but it's unlikely you'll be matched up with 5 individuals who don't want to see a criminal punished especially if you stole from a farmer they know.

So say they slap you with a 90 minute sentence, that's 90 minutes of not being able to use your skills, you're gimped and it doesn't cooldown while you're logged out either. Stay in jail or mess about in the world for the duration your choice. Do enough crimes and you'll eventually be outcast to the pirate faction and you'll be fair game for both sides.

I think there's enough to deter people from killing their own faction over and over.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    The system sounds awesome, but those 3 videos were very uneventful and monotonous.
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

2. Can you bribe me?

3. Go to jail.

Well, yes, but I am also trying to be realistic and not get carried away.

The jury can see your track record, they can tell who you've killed, if you stole trees, who's trees and how many.

So you are suggesting that is they see I have only stolen 50 trees they won't send me to jail out of the goodness of their hearts?

Not very likely knowing the Western MMO community really... Unless they are bribed with favours and/ or money ofc.

The jury are selected at random so the chances of it always being your guild members are slim. 5 jury members are selected, the majority vote wins. So I guess unless you want to bribe all 5 for a lighter sentence go ahead and try but it's unlikely you'll be matched up with 5 individuals who don't want to see a criminal punished especially if you stole from a farmer they know.

You don't need 5... you need 3?

I also do not see how what you describe here suggests I was over simplefying it... surely the situation you detail can still only end up in one of the three ways I said above?

So say they slap you with a 90 minute sentence, that's 90 minutes of not being able to use your skills, you're gimped and it doesn't cooldown while you're logged out either.

But, unless you are ready to just afk for 90mins

Stay in jail or mess about in the world for the duration your choice. Do enough crimes and you'll eventually be outcast to the pirate faction and you'll be fair game for both sides.

I think there's enough to deter people from killing their own faction over and over.

Going AFK for 90mins for the 'pleasure' of camping someone 50 times, or stealing 50 of their stuff seems quite a small penalty really... If someone wasn't in the mood for a AFK I guess they would stop at 49 karma?

3000 PKs or thefts is a shit ton of freedom for the crimninal... especially if the perp is free to stop at 2999 and 'go straight'.

Maybe it will be enough... maybe it won't. There is a lot I want to know about the system before I throw my support behind it though.

I am not looking for an argument about this btw, just an honest discussion.

I am not against it, I can just see some potentiol flaws in it, especially considering what jerks players can be in the West. I would just like more info before getting hyped.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

2. Can you bribe me?

3. Go to jail.

The jury can see your track record, they can tell who you've killed, if you stole trees, who's trees and how many.

So you are suggesting that is they see I have only stolen 50 trees they won't send me to jail out of the goodness of their hearts?

Not very likely knowing the Western MMO community really... Unless they are bribed with favours and/ or money ofc.

The jury are selected at random so the chances of it always being your guild members are slim. 5 jury members are selected, the majority vote wins. So I guess unless you want to bribe all 5 for a lighter sentence go ahead and try but it's unlikely you'll be matched up with 5 individuals who don't want to see a criminal punished especially if you stole from a farmer they know.

I also do not see how what you describe here suggests I was over simplefying it... surely the situation you detail can still only end up in one of the three ways I said above?

So say they slap you with a 90 minute sentence, that's 90 minutes of not being able to use your skills, you're gimped and it doesn't cooldown while you're logged out either.

Stay in jail or mess about in the world for the duration your choice. Do enough crimes and you'll eventually be outcast to the pirate faction and you'll be fair game for both sides.

Going AFK for 90mins for the 'pleasure' of camping someone 50 times, or stealing 50 of their stuff seems quite a small penalty really... If someone wasn't in the mood for a AFK I guess they would stop at 49 karma?

3000 PKs or thefts is a shit ton of freedom for the crimninal... especially if the perp is free to stop at 2999 and 'go straight'.

Maybe it will be enough... maybe it won't. There is a lot I want to know about the system before I throw my support behind it though.

I am not against it, I can just see some potentiol flaws in it, especially considering what jerks players can be in the West. I would just like more info before getting hyped.

How can you have an honest discussion when you start out insulting members of the West?  Do you really fall for stereotypes that easily if you are not from the West?  Or is the grass always greener somewhere else?   I'm sure people who live elsewhere are so much more cordial and would never think of having a laugh at someone elses expense ... Mmm hmm...

There *are* some who would like to play "good" and maintain a good reputation amongst our peers who also play.  Rotten apples can come from any tree though, buddy.

Although your points on game mechanics are valid, never-the-less.  I can say though that points can go up fast, like during beta, there was a wedding ceremony and someone bombed the celebrants intentionally :P  Oh snap, the culprit was from the "East".

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

2. Can you bribe me?

3. Go to jail.

How can you have an honest discussion when you start out insulting members of the West?  Do you really fall for stereotypes... /snip

Stop looking for a fight where there isn't one, it isn't cool to derail like this.

No one can offend you, you can only choose to be offended. Let's move on and get back to the game.

And sorry if you actually get back on track later on in your post, but I tend to tune out when things start as they did with you here and stop reading.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

2. Can you bribe me?

3. Go to jail.

How can you have an honest discussion when you start out insulting members of the West?  Do you really fall for stereotypes that easily if you are not from the West?  Or is the grass always greener somewhere else?   I'm sure people who live elsewhere are so much more cordial and would never think of having a laugh at someone elses expense ... Mmm hmm...

There *are* some who would like to play "good" and maintain a good reputation amongst our peers who also play.  Rotten apples can come from any tree though, buddy.

Although your points on game mechanics are valid, never-the-less.  I can say though that points can go up fast, like during beta, there was a wedding ceremony and someone bombed the celebrants intentionally :P  Oh snap, the culprit was from the "East".

Stop looking for a fight where there isn't one, it isn't cool to derail like this.

No one can offend you, you can only choose to be offended. Let's move on and get back to the game.

The earlier post was added to.  Refer to that for discussion.  Also re-read your hate filled post and ask yourself who is derailing.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

2. Can you bribe me?

3. Go to jail.

How can you have an honest discussion when you start out insulting members of the West?  Do you really fall for stereotypes... /snip

The earlier post was added to.  Refer to that for discussion.  Also re-read your hate filled post and ask yourself who is derailing.

/sigh... ok buddy. I am moving on now from this conversation with you. Have fun.

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

This system can be very complex, as politics tend to be. Its NOT as simple as those 3 things that other guy listed. Not even close.

Though they will come into the equation.

Other factors?  Well for starters, the overall behavior of the player on the server. Is he one of those loudmouths trolling general, ducking out on groups, etc? We all know these types.

If so, his reputation will precede him and you can bet that  will sway the jury to some degree.

Another factor could be 'favors'. Is the player a part of a well known guild, one that dominates the server in some aspects? If so,  just like the mob/mafia, they could intimidate the jurors so if they vote guilty, then shit is gonna go down......

Lol, those are just a few.....

All Will Be Well.....

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Definitely something I've never seen before.  Never thought I'd see such a complex system in a game to keep record of a player's behavior.  It either urges one to live an honest life or the opposite where we would see someone committing to a life of crime.  Also the prospect of becoming a judge or helping run a prison sounds exciting as hell.  You could have player guards stationed to make sure the more sly criminals don't escape or if they do bring a swift end to their premature freedom.  Kudos to the broad minds who brought about systems like this.  We need more depth all around when it comes to our gameplay opportunities.  I for one can't wait for my chance to be invovled.  Think of the roleplay that would surround things like this.  You wouldn't even have to imagine most of the proceedings, the template for situations and scenes are being provided for you.  Gollygeewiz! 
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

This system can be very complex, as politics tend to be. Its NOT as simple as those 3 things that other guy listed. Not even close.

Are you playing, or have you played?

If so, can you answer the questions I posted please?

Is there a time limit on the fingerprints/ bloods to find them and hand them in?

Can my stuff be stolen while I am offline?

Are my goods returned to me if the perp is caught? Or is it just the bounty hunter that benefits, while I still get nothing back?

Can the jury be the same guild as the perp?

Does this system only apply to you if you steal/ PK people from your own continent?

Can you work your karma off, or is the build up to 3000 unstoppable?

Are the bloods/ prints one time pick ups? ie once I collect it does it dissapear from the ground? If so, whats to stop me having 2 accounts... one to steal, the onter to follow me and clear up my evidence?

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Go to  ARCHAGE SOURCE

Sadly, i havent played the game yet. But people on that site are players and they answer questions all the time. In the event no one answers your question here.

Im curious as well, good questions!

All Will Be Well.....

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

1- Can my stuff be stolen while I am offline?

2- Are my goods returned to me if the perp is caught? Or is it just the bounty hunter that benefits, while I still get nothing back?

3- Can the jury be the same guild as the perp?

4- Does this system only apply to you if you steal/ PK people from your own continent?

5- Can you work your karma off, or is the build up to 3000 unstoppable?

6- Are the bloods/ prints one time pick ups? ie once I collect it does it dissapear from the ground? If so, whats to stop me having 2 accounts... one to steal, the onter to follow me and clear up my evidence?

1- You can set access permissions to your house, and the Scarecrows will protect your crop/herd in a radius. Other than that items remain in the world and can be stolen at any time. 

2- No, they are lost. A ship can be hijacked, but returns to the player when they log or unsummon it, they just have to be close enough to unsummon, and any cargo carried will be dumped overboard.

3- Yes, chosen randomly, but can be of your same guild/alliance.

4- Yes, only same faction. What you do on the other continents is their problem, not your. :)

5- There was an atonement quest on the Pirate island in CBT4, I assume it is still there.

6- Accord to one of the OBT streamers they are automatically turned in as you pick them up. No need to turn them in someplace. Most likely for the same reason you mentioned above.

Check out these videos;

Intercepting Trade packs and completing the turnin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHX1yeZ4t20

'Borrowing' someones ship loaded with trade goods and the turnin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0uiAZY0utM

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I doubt this will work. It would if people playing roleplaying games actually role play but they don't. The system is inventive but in practice I don't think it will work as intended.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

1- Can my stuff be stolen while I am offline?

2- Are my goods returned to me if the perp is caught? Or is it just the bounty hunter that benefits, while I still get nothing back?

3- Can the jury be the same guild as the perp?

4- Does this system only apply to you if you steal/ PK people from your own continent?

5- Can you work your karma off, or is the build up to 3000 unstoppable?

6- Are the bloods/ prints one time pick ups? ie once I collect it does it dissapear from the ground? If so, whats to stop me having 2 accounts... one to steal, the onter to follow me and clear up my evidence?

1- You can set access permissions to your house, and the Scarecrows will protect your crop/herd in a radius. Other than that items remain in the world and can be stolen at any time. 

2- No, they are lost. A ship can be hijacked, but returns to the player when they log or unsummon it, they just have to be close enough to unsummon, and any cargo carried will be dumped overboard.

3- Yes, chosen randomly, but can be of your same guild/alliance.

4- Yes, only same faction. What you do on the other continents is their problem, not your. :)

5- There was an atonement quest on the Pirate island in CBT4, I assume it is still there.

6- Accord to one of the OBT streamers they are automatically turned in as you pick them up. No need to turn them in someplace. Most likely for the same reason you mentioned above.

Check out these videos;

Intercepting Trade packs and completing the turnin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHX1yeZ4t20

'Borrowing' someones ship loaded with trade goods and the turnin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0uiAZY0utM

Thanks for taking the time :)

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Thanks for more explanation on this, it looks awesome!  I think one thing to keep in mind is that all of this can be adjusted.  I think if they decide its being exploited or not sufficient to deter people, it can be changed.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I doubt this will work. It would if people playing roleplaying games actually role play but they don't. The system is inventive but in practice I don't think it will work as intended.

I agree. It would work if the western gaming community consisted mostly of role players and less d-bags, but it does not. I see large power tripping guilds pretty much taking over a server and owning it. If you aren't part of large guild or you play mostly by yourself this game will not be fun at all. People will exploit mechanics to an extent that will be almost unplayable to others so that they can keep the upper ground. Also the risk vs reward is highly unbalanced. The risk is even lower when you are aligned with a large group of players. Unless Trion adapts some of the mechanics for the western market or separates the hardcore mode and casual mode, after the initial rush this game will become extremely niche very fast. The mechanics in this game for most will be somewhat alienating.

What worked in the western market back in the day, won't work now. MMOs at launch are less niche and more mainstream. It used to be you had small groups of people in game that purposely caused issues for people, maybe a few hundred since populations ranged in a few thousands. These days MMO bring higher concentrations in the hundred thousands, so these numbers are more in the thousands.

When these players align with each other it becomes a headache for those who are not aligned making the game unplayable for most players. Sure you can say “well join a big guild then” That may work for some of us (I’m in large guild myself) others don’t like big guilds. Sure it might balance out after the initial rush and the players who cause issues leave after they get bored or align with others but by then it’s too late. The majority of casual players have formed an opinion that the game is full of asshatery.

What happens if two people (one from a small guild, another from a big guild) have a disagreement? The mechanics would allow the player from a larger guild to harass the other guy or his guild with few repercussions, due to being found innocent or being busted out of jail and protected allowing them to continue their tirade unchecked.

I don’t know man, I loved precu  swg back in the day, I like PvP(and GW2 wvwvw), but I think I’ll give this game a pass and continue playing GW2 till EQ Next comes out since I like gaming with diverse types of players instead of all the same types of gamers.  I don't see this game being very diverse in that sense.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by Tiller
    Originally posted by Vannor

I agree. It would work if the western gaming community consisted mostly of role players and less d-bags, but it does not. I see large power tripping guilds pretty much taking over a server and owning it. If you aren't part of large guild or you play mostly by yourself this game will not be fun at all. People will exploit mechanics to an extent that will be almost unplayable to others so that they can keep the upper ground. Also the risk vs reward is highly unbalanced. The risk is even lower when you are aligned with a large group of players. Unless Trion adapts some of the mechanics for the western market or separates the hardcore mode and casual mode, after the initial rush this game will become extremely niche very fast. The mechanics in this game for most will be somewhat alienating.

What worked in the western market back in the day, won't work now. MMOs at launch are less niche and more mainstream. It used to be you had small groups of people in game that purposely caused issues for people, maybe a few hundred since populations ranged in a few thousands. These days MMO bring higher concentrations in the hundred thousands, so these numbers are more in the thousands.

When these players align with each other it becomes a headache for those who are not aligned making the game unplayable for most players. Sure you can say “well join a big guild then” That may work for some of us (I’m in large guild myself) others don’t like big guilds. Sure it might balance out after the initial rush and the players who cause issues leave after they get bored or align with others but by then it’s too late. The majority of casual players have formed an opinion that the game is full of asshatery.

What happens if two people (one from a small guild, another from a big guild) have a disagreement? The mechanics would allow the player from a larger guild to harass the other guy or his guild with few repercussions, due to being found innocent or being busted out of jail and protected allowing them to continue their tirade unchecked.

I don’t know man, I loved precu  swg back in the day, I like PvP(and GW2 wvwvw), but I think I’ll give this game a pass and continue playing GW2 till EQ Next comes out since I like gaming with diverse types of players instead of all the same types of gamers.  I don't see this game being very diverse in that sense.

This so far wins the biggest blab blab award. Absolute crazy speculation and this guy is using it as a justification to avoid the game entirely. Mythmakers stuck behind the bars of a verbal prison.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Well, the system sounds fun, if nothing else.  But, I can't help but question the evidence in this.  How does the evidence work?  Is it just stated as recorded fact that these crimes were committed by you?  Is there no possible doubt?

I mean, if the game presents evidence with your nametag on it, then there's not really much you can do to defend yourself in a trial :p  Unless your account gets hacked and someone else logs on your character, then it's pretty obvious you are guilty.

So, if I stole 30 trees, and someone collects the footprints, does it simply go on my record as indisputable fact?  "X has stolen 30 trees" and is it presented that bluntly and matter-of-factly to the jury?  I'd love to hear more about how that works from one of you guys more in tune with it.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Heh it would be fun to threaten the jurors and if they still vote me guilty have me guild destroy their house and steal everything they own, and do the best to make an example of them.

Then again I'm not a PvPers and always prefer being a goody goody so I will never do that probably. I do wonder if people are just going to be button mashing guilty/innocent to get back to what they were doing though. I also wonder if the risk is worth the reward then. I mean, you make someone miserable by corpse camping them 50ish times or stealing their stuff, then you go watch tv for an hour and a half, repeat. Guess we will have to wait and see.