Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The ONLY bad thing about this game...it's really bad though.

GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I absolutely love this game, however the community is horrible.  Really it's just one aspect of the community, Ninja Looters.  It's rampant, and I don't think the devs even care.  In multiplayer you get a whole 1 second to pick up your loot before it's free for all...really? why even have it at all then lol.  I know some of you are going to call me a cry baby and I'm QQing, but the next time a wizard ninja loots an unique axe from your marauder that requires 104 str to use, you'll be crying too.  I find myself playing solo, and it's just not fun at all solo.  The timer should be at least 5 seconds, or having looting like diablo 3, the one thing blizzard did perfect was how loot drops (not the loot tables, but private loot).  People wonder why they can't find a game to play since WoW came out...it's because WoW had the last decent community...There's no point in playing an online game when the other players you meet are complete idiots and will stab you in the back at a moments notice.

Summary: WORST COMMUNITY EVER.

Comments

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    its a F2P. i cant remember a single F2P game with a decent community. Ppl tend to stop behave well once they dont have to fear over getting banned, its Very simple.
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

i agree that part is pretty stupid. but this is beta. with enough feedback longer times will probably be implemented.

and real marauders use maces ;)

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Why do ppl still believe that, if the game is in beta, ppl behave bad, and all of sudden they dont when the game launch?
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by steamtank

i agree that part is pretty stupid. but this is beta. with enough feedback longer times will probably be implemented.

yeah, I had a mace, but can't pass up a unique hehe :D

Originally posted by ikarrian
    Why do ppl still believe that, if the game is in beta, ppl behave bad, and all of sudden they dont when the game launch?

i didnt say people will be better, i said a longer timer will be put in, forcing better behavior.

and the chat community is fine

once guilds and groups form co-op play will become far more civil

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Ninja looting is a problem D2 had, too. Unfortunately, some people think it's a feature.

i didnt say people will be better, i said a longer timer will be put in, forcing better behavior.

yeah, I have no problems really with the community, except for ninja looting.  I refuse to ninja loot, no matter what it is.  If I saw someone's name on it, I won't even breathe on it.  The thing that is really upsetting is when you yell at someone for taking "your" loot, then they reply, "your name isn't on it"...well in fact it did have my name on it rofl.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

There have been some very large threads battling over this for a long time. That tiny item lock that still doesn't keep items from being ninja looted wasn't ever there until a ton of people complained about loot being FFA. The tiny timer is the developer's idea of an improvement.

To even mention on the official forums that you think loot should be instanced or round robin gets you labled as a care bear or a whiner. And people for FFA defend their position by stating that the game is supposed to feel hardcore and cuthroat. Last time I check a game is hardcore because it's difficult to play, not because people can steal your loot. And people stealing your loot isn't cuthroat, it's pure backstabbing.. lol.

Originally posted by Gravarg

yeah, I have no problems really with the community, except for ninja looting.  I refuse to ninja loot, no matter what it is.  If I saw someone's name on it, I won't even breathe on it.  The thing that is really upsetting is when you yell at someone for taking "your" loot, then they reply, "your name isn't on it"...well in fact it did have my name on it rofl.

i feel your pain on that item though. we melee have a rough time unless we can 2 shot something when we get in range. I almost gave up on my build until i got a unique 2h mace.   I cant crit, but my dmg is off the charts. I 3 hit kill gold mobs.

i found a unique two handed sword, pm me your character name ill trade it to you ^_^  unless you dont have the dex for it

Originally posted by sschrupp

There have been some very large threads battling over this for a long time. That tiny item lock that still doesn't keep items from being ninja looted wasn't ever there until a ton of people complained about loot being FFA. The tiny timer is the developer's idea of an improvement.

To even mention on the official forums that you think loot should be instanced or round robin gets you labled as a care bear or a whiner. And people for FFA defend their position by stating that the game is supposed to feel hardcore and cuthroat. Last time I check a game is hardcore because it's difficult to play, not because people can steal your loot. And people stealing your loot isn't cuthroat, it's pure backstabbing.. lol.

I agree totally.  I guess when people start running in droves because people are ninja looting thier uniques, it'll get the devs attention.  NOONE likes to get ninja looted, but they all do it to others...makes no sense to me.  

Edit: I really wouldn't even care that much if it had been a rare or magic, those are easy to come by, and I got stacks of orbs of chance to make my own rares lol.  Uniques should have like a 10 minute timer on them though lol.  I'm at level 73 on my marauder and I got a few level 10-30s and this was only my 6th unique.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I absolutely love this game, however the community is horrible.  Really it's just one aspect of the community, Ninja Looters.  It's rampant, and I don't think the devs even care.  In multiplayer you get a whole 1 second to pick up your loot before it's free for all...really? why even have it at all then lol.  I know some of you are going to call me a cry baby and I'm QQing, but the next time a wizard ninja loots an unique axe from your marauder that requires 104 str to use, you'll be crying too.  I find myself playing solo, and it's just not fun at all solo.  The timer should be at least 5 seconds, or having looting like diablo 3, the one thing blizzard did perfect was how loot drops (not the loot tables, but private loot).  People wonder why they can't find a game to play since WoW came out...it's because WoW had the last decent community...There's no point in playing an online game when the other players you meet are complete idiots and will stab you in the back at a moments notice.

Summary: WORST COMMUNITY EVER.

Nah, can't possibly be worse than 1. HoN, 2. LoL, 3. DotA 2.

The problem with having a "hardcore" mentality when it comes to games is that it will only get worse, until you have all the players using hacks, and cheating is rampant.  Unfortunately, it seems to be human nature to most that if you get away with something, the next time you push the line of "wrong" even further.  Soon enough you'll have people running tracerts to find where people are and killing them irl (joking of course lol).
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I'm used to this since I grew up playing Diablo 2 where all loot is free for all instantly, I like it tbh but I can understand that it bothers some players, especially those who aren't used to it. If you aren't playing with people you know and trust then you have to expect that people will grab all the loot they can get their hands on, just do the same and don't feel guilty since it's how the game works.

I wouldn't mind if they made loot personal but I prefer this way of doing it since it adds a sense of always having to be on your toes incase something good drops, convenience isn't always the best for a game even if it sounds better on paper. You can always play with people you trust if this bothers you alot, build up a group of players on the friendlist that can be trusted not to grab your loot and play with them.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

if I was even close to your level I would say friend me.  I have a group of 6-10 guys that all share loot or give it to its rightful user.

problem is kinda that their are no bop's which is good and bad, so people grab stuff for their alts, my witch for example was fully geared in yellow/browns when she hit town at level 2.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    its a F2P. i cant remember a single F2P game with a decent community. Ppl tend to stop behave well once they dont have to fear over getting banned, its Very simple.

oh let's see....

LOTRO, STO, GW2 all come to mind. Next statement....

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Foncl

I'm used to this since I grew up playing Diablo 2 where all loot is free for all instantly, I like it tbh but I can understand that it bothers some players, especially those who aren't used to it. If you aren't playing with people you know and trust then you have to expect that people will grab all the loot they can get their hands on, just do the same and don't feel guilty since it's how the game works.

I wouldn't mind if they made loot personal but I prefer this way of doing it since it adds a sense of always having to be on your toes incase something good drops, convenience isn't always the best for a game even if it sounds better on paper. You can always play with people you trust if this bothers you alot, build up a group of players on the friendlist that can be trusted not to grab your loot and play with them.

this really sucks when you are ranged, and the mob dies 30 yards from you.  Also, they focus shouldnt be on racing to loot, it should be on killing mobs, one of my HC chars died cause the entire group went to try to get a shiny rather then killing the 15 mobs I had on me

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

to the OP: I think you're mistaking a game design flaw/single experience in a group with an entire community broad statement. It doesn't work that way.

You know I'm amazed that these programmers haven't learned from the past either even the most recent. Why have a system of loot that uses the pre2004 style loot system? Have these devs not learned their lesson yet?

There's many things wrong with this game right now but GW2 did quite a few things right. One of the things was loot per person, there are no loot rules, everyone's loot is their own everyone's loot drops for only them. That eliminates rolling, and all other problems that come with loot everyone can see. D3 actually did this, why in the world would PoE devs NOT take this up, there is absolutely no reasonable argument other then laziness for them to leave out the single most important loot programming to come along in any game like this. smh

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I was hoping this thread would've been about graphics.

Guess not ;/

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I see this topic coming up a lot, but I have not experienced any of the behaviours people mention. I am playing on the EU servers and I tend to just grab a group now and then, typically to help people out on bosses, like the Siren or bandits. I play a ranger and I always get my share of loot. Some groups I am in have the party link the gear in party chat in case someone else needs.

I guess is down to the people you find at the end of the day, from about 30 or so groups ive been in I've built up a friends list of people who I am comfortable playing with. Everyone wants the same thing at the end of the day, mature players to play with who aren't just in it for themselves.

Explore and group more and make conversation and make friends! Then ignore and leave groups you join that have people you know to be horrible to group with.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by itgrowls

oh let's see....

+1 to all 3 of those games for a good community.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

oh let's see....

I can't speak for LOTRO or STO but you can't put GW2 under the same umbrella since it's B2P.

I've noticed the same trend when a game goes F2P, most recently with TERA. The chat in TERA, at least on the PvP server I tried the other day, was rude, sexual, racist and beyond childish!

It put me off within 30 minutes of creating a character. It's been the same experience with many others that I've tried in the last couple of years.

When you can play a game with impunity because you have nothing to lose and are anonymous to the extent that you didn't even have to provide credit card details or a real name/address, it attracts the most vile sections of the gaming community.

These games more than anything, need real GM's policing the game and chat channels.

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by jacklo

oh let's see....

I can't speak for LOTRO or STO but you can't put GW2 under the same umbrella since it's B2P.

I've noticed the same trend when a game goes F2P, most recently with TERA. The chat in TERA, at least on the PvP server I tried the other day, was rude, sexual, racist and beyond childish!

It put me off within 30 minutes of creating a character. It's been the same experience with many others that I've tried in the last couple of years.

When you can play a game with impunity because you have nothing to lose and are anonymous to the extent that you didn't even have to provide credit card details or a real name/address, it attracts the most vile sections of the gaming community.

These games more than anything, need real GM's policing the game and chat channels.

agreed, GW2 doesn't count - $60 box fee is a barrier to entry that keeps out some of the riff raff 12 year olds (and most are not 12, just act like they are...)

Well that's a new low I just found.  Not only is the community full of ninja looters.  There's idiots that join your  pyramid group and rush up to the boss and kill it leaving every other person in the full group without a boss to kill, even though we played the game the RIGHT WAY, and spent 30 minutes working our way up the pyramid killing everything along the way.  And even better, you can't use the ctrl+alt+click method to reset the boss, you have to start at the very entrance of the cave that leads upto the pyramid...wow I'm going to have to say from now on, I'm totally done with this game.  It's probably the best thing since Diablo 2, but the community just ruins it, and the devs don't care lol.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by jacklo

oh let's see....

It has more to do with the game itself than its pricing model. TERA and many of its Korean peers are marketed by shoving boobs in your face, so they attract the sort of people who like crude sexual stuff. TERA was 4chan: The Game even with a sub, because of the aforementioned boobs and combat being action-focused instead of slow-paced or tactical.

On the other hand, LotRO, STO, DCUO, Anarchy Online and Firefall have more mature content and tend to attract more mature players because of that. You know, people who are really mature instead of liking M-rated things.

Competitiveness is what makes people act like jerks. Even if it's inter-party like FFA loot. It's the reason why low-level PvP communities tend to act worse than PvE communities and why PoE groups may be less friendly than those of other games.

• R_M_BR_M_B Member UncommonPosts: 42

I see your point but there is simple solution to your problem - set rules your self and watch who you party with.

Ignore this 1 sec timer and assume there is FFA loot always. Talk to your party members about it and agree on rules before you start. Since there is no "bind on pick-up" one can always pass item to another with no problem.

All you need to do is talk to each other.

I know it is hard nowadays, some other game made people lazy (no need to talk and agree on loot - game engine takes care) and greedy (by setting $ price tag on unique loot), but it was you who used word "community". And communities don't just appear from nowhere after game goes live. You need to work on it and someday maybe you will notice you are playing a nice game with good community.

On a contrary, if all you need is system enforced rules to do fast loot runs with random people - you do not need a community for this at all.

B)
This discussion has been closed.