Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext release this year?

124»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by keenber
    To me anything to do with EQ lore cant lose . I  am looking foward to this game more than any off the rest.

The lore and world of EQ1 were great in its early years.....After a few expansions it started to get ridiculous....My hope with EQnext is that they got it right with EQ1 (for awhile anyway) and that gives me some hope that maybe they can find the magic again....my fear though is that it ends up a questfest like EQ2 and will be crap.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    2013 is looking to be an awesome year for MMO's. I reckon TESO, ArcheAge, WildStar, EQ:Next will be launching this year. Or early next year. Along with Blizz revealing Titan at blizzcon this year too. 
  • KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

If you know the history of SOE and what happened to some of their games (like SWG) you are highly skeptical of anything that comes out of their PR department. 

But then you listen to what Smedley said when he told you that he put the kabosh on the first two EQ Next designs, citing that while they were both good games and worthy of being Everquest....they just really did not advance the game like it should have when he compared it with EQ2.

If they followed the same old SOE thinking, EQ Next would basically be a better looking version of EQ2.  So another quest hub, themepark, barter fest MMO that you can solo to max level and sit in a lobby to join instances to run 50 times over before moving on to the next expansion.  There are dozens of MMOs that do that.

He said he decided to make the switch to more of a sandbox type of game because that is how he saw the MMO gaming community going, and he was right.

It's ironic that the company that utterly destoryed Western Sandbox MMOs could very well be the company that resurrects them.

I would be surprised if they develop a game that was even a 1/2 sandbox.    

Smedley quote of the week:

GameSpot: Last question, John. What's the one lesson from your two years of seeing Star Wars Galaxies being played, that you wish you knew sooner?

JohnSmedley: That straight sandbox games don't work. And that we needed to focus much more on the Star Wars experience. I think in the past, what we probably made was the Uncle Owen experience as opposed to the Luke experience. We needed to deliver more of the Star Wars heroic and epic feeling to the game. I think we missed there. That's what I think we really brought to the game [with the update].

Look at you, trying to be mr smart guy. Using a quote from around 7 or 8 years ago. If you havent noticed in the last 4 years Smed's and SOE's standpoints on a great many things has changed. You may not be inclined to believe, but it is better to hope and believe when he speaks logically than it is to stick my head in the sand and think that he is still the same old person and it is the same old company. That is just folly. The people who are butthurt about SWG and the NGE just need to get over it. It was Lucas arts fault, and SOE had no choice but to listen. Even still Smed has stated that he should have listened to the players and if he could do it again he would. It takes great character to fess up to things especially when they arent your fault. I for one respect him, and as the man whos idea and company changed the world when they brought us everquest, deserves a chance to do it again.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Phelcher
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

Everquest already has a WoW-like themepark in the form of Everquest 2. I don't think it was in their interest to compete in a market that is already bloated with a lot of competitors including the upcoming TESO which has a much more significant IP than EQ ever had when they could till new ground in a corner of the MMO market that is largely unexplored. They already said their motivation to move the development of EQNext to sandbox was watching what happened with Rift and SWTOR.

Originally posted by ice-vortex

I would say early 2014...!

Coincidentally, I have a hunch that EQNext, will bring back the premium subscription format.. as EQNext will be a premium adult game, geared for people who are willing to pay for a Role-playing, open sandbox-style game.

It will also need a hefty computer to push it, so knowing who Smed's chasing...  those peeps have no prob upgrading their system, not for these Veteran MMORPG'ers (40 & up crowd), who also has no prob dropping $20/month on a game.. you have to have...! (thats less the the cost of a decent cigar)

My hope^ anyways...  (though i hear things)

Did you even read the article I linked?

Yes, but irrelevent...   like I said, I hear things...

Voices in your head?

Everquest will be a premium game...  and people will want to pay $20/month to play... I can see littel kids getting jobs, because their parents cannot afford their evercrack addiction..

Are you trolling?  I pretty sure Smedley stated they are going with a F2P model (or B2P) for EQNext subtlely when he made the statement that SW:TOR will be the last large scale MMO using this model.  I'm assuming he considers EQNext a large scale MMO.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Saryhl

Look at you, trying to be mr smart guy. Using a quote from around 7 or 8 years ago. If you havent noticed in the last 4 years Smed's and SOE's standpoints on a great many things has changed. You may not be inclined to believe, but it is better to hope and believe when he speaks logically than it is to stick my head in the sand and think that he is still the same old person and it is the same old company. That is just folly.  I for one respect him, and as the man whos idea and company changed the world when they brought us everquest, deserves a chance to do it again.

With all those great changes in standpoints and ideas there should have been at least 1 good game made?   Can you name even 1 great release with all these changes that have been made?  

From my viewpoint it seems I am not the one with their head in the sand. 

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by tom_gore

What are you talking about?

So in effect you think that just redoing EQ1 would be the best course of action here? Despite of the fact that in the recent years many games copying that formula have tumbled down and failed hard?

Ignorant.

There's NOT a single game that plays like EverQuest classic. You're either a liar or never played EverQuest prior to 2002.

Name a game that has 80% of the below game mechanics:

1. First Person View

2. Harsh Death Penalty

3. Faction system (WoW reputation system is nothing like it)

4. Freedom to kill any NPC and adjust your faction accordingly

5. Big Huge Dungeons which you can spend weeks in them

6. Not Quest-Driven (WoW model) and no Hand Holding. EverQuest set you free, that's a MAJOR difference

7. No maps (you get lost in EverQuest)

8. Slow Pace combat (unlike WoW and its clones with whack-a-mole twitchy combat). If you played EQ and then played WoW, Rift, SWTOR you'd realize every recent game plays the same and EQ plays COMPLETELY differently (combat wise).

9. No Auction Houses (player interaction when trading) WoW, Rift, SWTOr, Aion and so forth ALL had Auction Houses. EQ didn't have that. Even in SoL we had the "Bazaar" which was too different than WoW's Auction House (which is TOO identical to SWTOr, Aion, Rift.....etc)

10. Memorizing Spells (8 spell slots) compare that to WoW UI with 89289289289282 spells/skills (and same applies to SWTOR, RIFT, Aion...etc *yawns*)

11. EQ had Skills and Level where Skills actually matter and take time to develope. Do you "Fizzle" your spells playing WoW, Rift, SWTOR, Aion? No, you don't. Do you need to increase your Channeling, Evocation, Divination, Alteration, Conjuration skill in WoW? No you didn't

12. Immersion. Night Being Dark, Languages, Begging, Alcohol Tolerance...etc

13. Itemization: WoW, Aion, RIFt, SWTOR...etc all have the same - Diablo Like - generic itemization system. Boring you can actually predict the pattern (uncommon having two stats, rare having 3 stats, epic having 4 stats.. boring, boring boring). Compare all these games with EverQuest itemization. All items were individually designed, no "pattern" no "algorithm". Cloak of Flames, Fungi Tunic, Sword of Ykesha, Circlet of Shadows..etc (how many items do I remember from WoW? none)

14. 70+ man raids (while I don't like them, but it's a fact no other game gives you such a scale in raiding. WoW started with 40 then settled with 25 now)

15. The unknown; Most spells in EQ had no specific duration (invisibliity, charm, root, mesmerize, levitation...etc) they all could just end at any moment which gives you this "crap" kind of reaction.

16. Trains (unleashed monsters) WoW, Rift, Aion, SWTOR, Boring_MMO_09..etc all have leashed monsters. That's different than EQ.

17. Pulling; pulling is a game mechanic that only make sense in EQ.

18. XP Grinding vs. Solo Quest Grinding: It's a fact that WoW, SWTOR, Aion, Rift, Generic_MMO_293 are all Quest-Grind specific while EQ, in the other hand, didn't have that. Again, big difference.

You know, I'm at work and I would just leave it at this.

You're telling me many games are copying EQ? I WISH you're right, but you aren't.

So, ignorant people stop copying what other people say (the myth that WoW is EQ's clone) it isn't true. YES it's true WoW copied 90% of what it is from EverQuest but they only copied very little from it (not all) and whatever they copied they dumbed down that it doesn't play the same at all (Reputation System is TOO different than Faction system for instance, a very dumbed down version that is not even comparable but still it was copied from EQ).

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by LauraFrost
    Originally posted by tom_gore

What are you talking about?

So in effect you think that just redoing EQ1 would be the best course of action here? Despite of the fact that in the recent years many games copying that formula have tumbled down and failed hard?

Ignorant.

There's NOT a single game that plays like EverQuest classic. You're either a liar or never played EverQuest prior to 2002.

Name a game that has 80% of the below game mechanics:

1. First Person View

2. Harsh Death Penalty

3. Faction system (WoW reputation system is nothing like it)

4. Freedom to kill any NPC and adjust your faction accordingly

5. Big Huge Dungeons which you can spend weeks in them

6. Not Quest-Driven (WoW model) and no Hand Holding. EverQuest set you free, that's a MAJOR difference

7. No maps (you get lost in EverQuest)

8. Slow Pace combat (unlike WoW and its clones with whack-a-mole twitchy combat). If you played EQ and then played WoW, Rift, SWTOR you'd realize every recent game plays the same and EQ plays COMPLETELY differently (combat wise).

9. No Auction Houses (player interaction when trading) WoW, Rift, SWTOr, Aion and so forth ALL had Auction Houses. EQ didn't have that. Even in SoL we had the "Bazaar" which was too different than WoW's Auction House (which is TOO identical to SWTOr, Aion, Rift.....etc)

10. Memorizing Spells (8 spell slots) compare that to WoW UI with 89289289289282 spells/skills (and same applies to SWTOR, RIFT, Aion...etc *yawns*)

11. EQ had Skills and Level where Skills actually matter and take time to develope. Do you "Fizzle" your spells playing WoW, Rift, SWTOR, Aion? No, you don't. Do you need to increase your Channeling, Evocation, Divination, Alteration, Conjuration skill in WoW? No you didn't

12. Immersion. Night Being Dark, Languages, Begging, Alcohol Tolerance...etc

13. Itemization: WoW, Aion, RIFt, SWTOR...etc all have the same - Diablo Like - generic itemization system. Boring you can actually predict the pattern (uncommon having two stats, rare having 3 stats, epic having 4 stats.. boring, boring boring). Compare all these games with EverQuest itemization. All items were individually designed, no "pattern" no "algorithm". Cloak of Flames, Fungi Tunic, Sword of Ykesha, Circlet of Shadows..etc (how many items do I remember from WoW? none)

14. 70+ man raids (while I don't like them, but it's a fact no other game gives you such a scale in raiding. WoW started with 40 then settled with 25 now)

15. The unknown; Most spells in EQ had no specific duration (invisibliity, charm, root, mesmerize, levitation...etc) they all could just end at any moment which gives you this "crap" kind of reaction.

16. Trains (unleashed monsters) WoW, Rift, Aion, SWTOR, Boring_MMO_09..etc all have leashed monsters. That's different than EQ.

17. Pulling; pulling is a game mechanic that only make sense in EQ.

18. XP Grinding vs. Solo Quest Grinding: It's a fact that WoW, SWTOR, Aion, Rift, Generic_MMO_293 are all Quest-Grind specific while EQ, in the other hand, didn't have that. Again, big difference.

You know, I'm at work and I would just leave it at this.

You're telling me many games are copying EQ? I WISH you're right, but you aren't.

So, ignorant people stop copying what other people say (the myth that WoW is EQ's clone) it isn't true. YES it's true WoW copied 90% of what it is from EverQuest but they only copied very little from it (not all) and whatever they copied they dumbed down that it doesn't play the same at all (Reputation System is TOO different than Faction system for instance, a very dumbed down version that is not even comparable but still it was copied from EQ).

I miss the unpredicatbility of Everquest dunno when spell gonna wear off well it had a duratuion but it had a chance to ware off before it duration was up, Mob trains was another one of those unpredicatability that made the game feel alive. Nowadays they feel very stagnant and unintresting and hard to immerse urself in. Most games dont even have weather or nighttime cycles anymore

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Saryhl

Look at you, trying to be mr smart guy. Using a quote from around 7 or 8 years ago. If you havent noticed in the last 4 years Smed's and SOE's standpoints on a great many things has changed. You may not be inclined to believe, but it is better to hope and believe when he speaks logically than it is to stick my head in the sand and think that he is still the same old person and it is the same old company. That is just folly.  I for one respect him, and as the man whos idea and company changed the world when they brought us everquest, deserves a chance to do it again.

With all those great changes in standpoints and ideas there should have been at least 1 good game made?   Can you name even 1 great release with all these changes that have been made?  

From my viewpoint it seems I am not the one with their head in the sand. 

Planetside 2 is the first of these great releases being made with these new standpoints, and while many players may not like it, Many do. Everquest Next will be the next game. And you will say that Planetside 2 sucks and give 100 different excuses as to why, but the fact of the matter is, is that it is a great MMO for what it was designed to be. My head is clearly above the sand and looking out for the future. You are just stuck in the past.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    This is a great discussion. I hope EQNext will half even half of the old EQ features that are pretty much all lost in today's mmos. I hope it will since he did say they are going to try to get back to their roots.

Also I'm pretty certain they will do the f2p model. They stated that awhile ago and I really doubt that is something that had changed but really they do f2p well. I think Vanguard f2p is great. Encourages subs if you want but it's not required.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

As others have mentioned, EQNext has been in the pipeline for quite some time, and the Forgelight engine is already sorted. Also they have been obviously funneling resources such as devs and producers from other games to this.

Hoping they have done it right. Often SoE miss some minor details, but the overall products are usually pretty spot on at launch for most games (keeping in mind that Vanguard wasn't their development).

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    EQ even had encumberence.  I remember carrying so much coin that I phyically could hardly move my character.  Oh the times...
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Letsinod
    EQ even had encumberence.  I remember carrying so much coin that I phyically could hardly move my character.  Oh the times...

Gotta watch that copper it weighted a tonne :) i relay hope they have the EQ encumberance system in Everquest Next you can carry so much stuff till ur overweight and coins weight stuff so it was important to bank them :)

• buckeyebuckeye Member UncommonPosts: 70

These and many other features are what help set EQ apart from others who tried to capture the magic. Unfortunately, in today's instant gratification world where games are built to appeal to the masses and dole out rewards with little/no effort on the players part I highly doubt we will see anything close to the original hardcore EQ model.

The developer who takes this vision, couples it with some of the more recent mechanics and latest graphics and brings it to market will have pure gold. Give players a reason to become vested in your world and willing to stay for the long haul, not quit within 6 months of release because you launched something shiny and new with little substance and no hooks.