Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Which payment model is ideal for ESO?

Comments

• vazzalmightyvazzalmighty Member Posts: 2

• vazzalmightyvazzalmighty Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Fishmitts
    P2P, poor people suck.

Poeple like you are the reason no one respects the MMORPG.com community.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I really don't care myself. If it's P2P than I won't bother with it at all.  If it's B2P than I probably would pick it up. If it's F2P than I might download it if I have nothing else to play at the time.

There is more than enough games for me to try out and enjoy,  so I'm not hurting for a game to play.  I prefer B2P as it profits the developer directly but also should keep a bit of honesty and accountability when it comes to the cash shop.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

B2P with cash shop. (like GW2)

Because it works. If they put the right stuff on the cash shop they will have a constant flow of money and if they put interesting stuff in the CE and digital edition they will make more aswell.

A bought game always sell better, because a F2P can't sell and people don't like the fact that it's F2P, most don't want to pay a subscription, but some want an option to buy stuff to make their gameplay more fun, like a mount or cool outfit etc.

• BorutBorut Member Posts: 18
    i hope game go P2P best choose if u ask me
    Originally posted by Borut

No, it will fail within 1 year and then milk the last bit out of it.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Are you the first ESO doom sayer? Congrats for your golden troll award.

P2P is the best choice. Second is B2P (but just because Elder Scrolls are B2P and Zenimax (the parent) has the money to support a huge B2P mmo)

Both with shops for vanity items for ppl that actually like that stuff - I personally don't but I wouldnt shape the community around what "I like".

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    i hate cash shop in every possible way... Guild wars 2 started nicely.,.. but then they always nerfed all the ways to gain gold so we have to use the gem store more... everything was about the gem store at some point.... hiding well but still felt it always.... i prefer a really free model such an never ending trial of some sort... and then if you wanna really participate to the game you  should pay the sub.. but not such as AoC that you couldnt go to certain places... i think i liked theDDO most..but still...i believe that the best way to get the best game..is with sub. company try more so ppl want to play even with sub... rather than the company trick people so they have to use the shop...... i know some people wont pay anything on shop but many will.... my ideal program would be... to have a system like give the game free or buy it...and then keep it free till lvl 20 (like wow) and THEN use a cheaper kind of sunscription. like 5 euro/ month. that would be awesome and ideal for me. 15 euro are a bit to much specialy with the world economical crysis...
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

P2P is the best choice. Second is B2P (but just because Elder Scrolls are B2P and Zenimax (the parent) has the money to support a huge B2P mmo)

Both with shops for vanity items for ppl that actually like that stuff - I personally don't but I wouldnt shape the community around what "I like".

B2P with cash shop IS the best.

Unless you have 10 million trustworthy fans, then P2P.

TESO have to be B2P.

Originally posted by sodade21
    i hate cash shop in every possible way... Guild wars 2 started nicely.,.. but then they always nerfed all the ways to gain gold so we have to use the gem store more... everything was about the gem store at some point.... hiding well but still felt it always.... i prefer a really free model such an never ending trial of some sort... and then if you wanna really participate to the game you  should pay the sub.. but not such as AoC that you couldnt go to certain places... i think i liked theDDO most..but still...i believe that the best way to get the best game..is with sub. company try more so ppl want to play even with sub... rather than the company trick people so they have to use the shop...... i know some people wont pay anything on shop but many will.... my ideal program would be... to have a system like give the game free or buy it...and then keep it free till lvl 20 (like wow) and THEN use a cheaper kind of sunscription. like 5 euro/ month. that would be awesome and ideal for me. 15 euro are a bit to much specialy with the world economical crysis...

They nerfed the loot in Orr because they didn't want people the do the same dynamic events over and over and over. GW2 is about exploration. Anyway, you can run dungeons and get over 1 gold in 15 minutes each run.

• MollowMollow Member Posts: 66

TESO have to be B2P.

Im no expert on the financial part of the MMO business. But 10 million subscribers shouldn't be needed to run a succesful MMO. I reckon 1 million is sufficient.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    The sub model is dead, this game will be B2P.

That is your own personal belief and not fact bub. Show us your statistical flow charts please.

Every new mmo releasing is either f2p or b2p. The mmo's that used be sub based are either going f2p(Tera) or b2p(TSW). Planetside 2 f2p, neverwinter will be f2p, firefall will be f2p. The only games that are sticking to the sub model are indie title because they really need the money.

Yes and we are already seeing a trend where many of the converted games are not doing well at all beyond the first year.  CoH already bit the dirt and games like STO, CO, Vanguard, EQ 2, AoC, SWTOR and others are either on the verge or well on their way after the initial F2P first year surge wears off.  I would not be so quick to discount the subscription model and ArenaNet's model hasn't proven to be a big money maker either.  Yes, they make money, but the B2P model doesn't give most companies the kind of revenues they want to see.  Also, many of these upcoming games are going with hybrid models, where you can buy a sub and get everything or go F2P and pay piecemeal, but they will be offering subs as an option for a long time to come.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Mollow

TESO have to be B2P.

Im no expert on the financial part of the MMO business. But 10 million subscribers shouldn't be needed to run a succesful MMO. I reckon 1 million is sufficient.

Well, EA said that a consistent 500K subs would be enough to make a decent profit if it stayed around that level for a couple of years and they invested a lot of money into SWTOR, so I imagine that most MMOs could be profitable, if not extremely profitable with fewer subs.

• Se7enSinsSe7enSins Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Actually,

Ultima Online

Asheron's Call

Eve

Dark Age of Camelot

NexusTK

Warhammer

All still require subscriptions to play. I'm sure there are more i'm missing.

Yes you are right, but I meant MMOs have released within the past few years. Out of that whole list Warhammer would be the most recent, and a lot of players have considered it as a failure.

I only mentioned WoW because it's the elephant in any room of the MMO spectrum.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    The sub model is dead, this game will be B2P.

I really dotn know how much I have to say this. P2P is not dead. The reason all recent P2P games didnt do well is due to DESIGN CHOICES not what model they use. For example if SWTOR was truly amazing it would still be sub because it would have wow like numbers. The P2P model isnt dead poor design choices are.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Se7enSins

Actually,

Ultima Online

Asheron's Call

Eve

Dark Age of Camelot

NexusTK

Warhammer

Yes you are right, but I meant MMOs have released within the past few years. Out of that whole list Warhammer would be the most recent, and a lot of players have considered it as a failure.

Rift. Rift is doing extremely well. Storm legion brought in a HUGE amount of new players. Also the company runnign Rift is doing pretty well. Defiance looks great, they just signed to publish AA in the west, End of Nations looks great, and they are workign with crytek on Warface. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.

Yeah because that worked out so well for WoW.

Back to the OP, B2P is obviously the best model, but realistically they will sell the box and charge a sub fee until it becomes unprofitable, then switch to a shitty freemium hybrid to milk the rest out of a dying game. Just like SWTOR.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

Actually,

Ultima Online

Asheron's Call

Eve

Dark Age of Camelot

NexusTK

Warhammer

Rift. Rift is doing extremely well. Storm legion brought in a HUGE amount of new players. Also the company runnign Rift is doing pretty well. Defiance looks great, they just signed to publish AA in the west, End of Nations looks great, and they are workign with crytek on Warface. 

The layoffs at Trion would indicate that Rift isn't doing as well as everyone hoped.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Sub with no shop.. this is how mmorpgs should be..

QFMFT

QFMFT

• desertghostndesertghostn Member UncommonPosts: 1
    lol p2p is just much wose then f2p also a cash shop is a terrible idea because its helps ppl getting better in the game but that is just my opinion and yes you will atracced muture ppl when it is p2p but still its nice to have younger ppl around because they need to get better too but  its just fun to play with them.
  • Zarine7Zarine7 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

Actually,

Ultima Online

Asheron's Call

Eve

Dark Age of Camelot

NexusTK

Warhammer

They are also teamed up with the people developing ArcheAge as well, apparently. They are a pretty good company, and even they couldn't manage a full subscription based game very well. Defiance is going to be a B2P game.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I voted

B2P with cash shop (GW2-like)

I won't pay a subscription.(tight budget in a key reason)

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.

See plenty of kids buying pre paid cards, your argument is quite invalid. I'd agree if the only way to sub is by credit card. But don't worry the beauty of ESO is that you can't filter the kids away.

• Peters64sPeters64s Member Posts: 5

I would be awesome if Zenimax made it a B2P with cash shop. It's so simple and it's the perfect option for this game especially. I really doubt that they will make ESO a subscription from the get-go because no one does it anymore except WoW. Due to that fact, I doubt that a majority of the population will pay a monthly fee for this one game, which hasn't proven it self yet, when there are like a hundred other games that are B2P or are free all together. The only reason that WoW has managed to keep it up is because WoW has been around for 8 years and throughout that time, people have made long lasting relationships and friendships through the game which they don't want to break off from. Although, there IS  a big advantage to a monthly subscription as it will allow Zenimax to make a HUGE amount of money, especially in the first month or so of its release. That extra money goes into pretty big improvements and additions to what  will most likely be an already amazing game. Expansions and voice acted NPCs take up a lot of money. Thats why I would be in favor of a monthly subscription. BUT the supscription would have to be like 5$ which I wouldn't mind at all. 5 bucks is the cost of a sandwich which is nothing. I would gladly give up 5$ a month if it meant expansions and more improvements. I would MAYBE give 10$ but then we would have to take into account the game's end game and what it has to offer. So to put it briefly, 

Definitely B2P with cash store.

OR

Monthly subscription but only 5$

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

B2P, thats what TES fans are used to. 

Thats the trend and the only way for the game to have a healthy community since release. 

P2P is not possible anymore, unless you are a indie developers catering a niche.  

Mainstream market is long past P2P, if you don't think so, look at the last major releases, what payment model are they using ?