Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Mod Edit] AoC still dominates all other MMO's in Combat

Comments

• ElphyiElphyi Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Cinatrot
    Originally posted by AlexanderTD
    Originally posted by Cinatrot

AoC's animations and feel felt wonderful - the combo system was irritating at best.

Pressing four buttons for one action isn't interesting or complex, it's tedious - shame about the really great animations going to waste...

You probably never truly understood the idea behind combo.It was great because as combos became more and more powerfull  the time and number of hits you needed to execute it increased requiring more skill. Its is important to remember that you need to actually hit opponent with every attack of the combo, otherwise you'll loose like 15% of final damage per each one you missed. To do so you had to time your movement, attacks etc. You opponent knew that too so it was all of timing, distance etc. and it's the reason why the good PVP duel felt like a dance.

I understand, and for say, Mortal Kombat with your bros via lan play - sure, that'd be fantastic - but it doesn't work well in MMOland.

Lol. and you know this cause your MMOland?... Love people that think they know something that when you actually look at what there sayin is false when you look at the proof.   AoC has a Fair Size Playerbase, AoC is far from a dieing game thus this proves it does work in your "MMOland".  the people who always fight this combat system are the ones that cant suceed at it.   

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Love the new action in the game now. Was headin over to GW2 for a couple of months.. But hell, guess who just had to head right back to the mother of all violence game... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

AOC, I would still challenge anyone to conjure up an example of a MMO with better combat and umpf factor than this.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Everything about those fatalities is cheesy, and un-emotional feeling. It reminds me of using the sniper rifle to headshot some one in vice city and there head disappears with a fount of blood. Yeah sure the game is brutal, but overdone and cheesy. It's not like loping someones head off in skyrim or chivalry, it's more like what I said about GTA. It's awkward, and also brutality doesn't make the combat better, one of the best combat systems ever is found in batman: arkham city, and there is hardly any blood and gore. This game from combat, physics, and visuals just may be the worst imo. People are always praising it's visuals however I never saw it (even for an MMO).

The combat system is more unique then others however liking it or not is opinion, and mine is that I think it is a gimick it was neat when i first played it but the rest of the games aspects killed everything about it for me.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I didn't last too long playing AoC. Many things I didn't like.

But, since you talk about combat... sorry to say this, but it's completely honest. I played a priest of Mitra and it was the most boring healer I have played in any MMO, ever in my entire life.

It's not like you have!!! to play healer. The most fun class to play is Herald of Xotli or Barbarian for most people :)

AoC combat = <3

The Ultimate Breakdown

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    True, combat is still amazing. Got the latest expansions and updates after a long break and was surprised how fresh this plays now. Also liked TERA combat besides AoC

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    i just CANT get passed the stupid starting area! its FAR  FAR FAR too long...i still havent gotten off it cuz it bored me to death so i quit

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside 2 has the best mmo combat
  • CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

It's an FPS not an mmo.  Apples and oranges.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Even SWG NGE (starter) combat was better then Planetside 2 lol.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

I agree. Tortage is the worst part of the game... All those other idiots saying OMG Tortage fatastic this or that makes me think that these are people that have not played the game . Tortage = Boring, AoC after Tortage = Fantastic Fun.

Fess it up and get through Tortage, after level 30ish you will have a fantastic time. Great game!!

The Ultimate Breakdown

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by DaSpack

[Mod Edit] still there is no MMO even being close to looking and feeling as good as AoC. Nothing can be compared combatwise and animationwise. It just rocks. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

(hope you are not getting too proveoked :P)

Saw that and im just here to second that.

There is really NOTHING ELSE even half the way that good.

SWTOR comes really close, but the combat is totally lacking there, compared to AoC.

Would you share my opinion, that AoC would need sides to fight for ?

For me it failed because there is only Guilds vs. Guilds but not some kind of factional side you stay'n slay for.

Nevertheless, AoC is - still - the best looking thing with the best action combat ever seen.

k, naow im reading the thread :p

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Having been given a Life-Time ban from there fourms for asking when would the " Bar Room Brawling " be put in. This was the 3rd month after launch. So how is it ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Oh god that video was just great ! Exactly why no MMO comes close when it comes to visceral combat. I really should go back and play it again, I will soon as I am done doing all the class stories in SWTOR.

Guild vs Guild works for me. But sure more incentives for conflicts are always welcome.

Game really stand out in combat and fighting. Even killing the 100th mob of type X is fun in this game :D

Elsabolt: Get over it. Bar Brawling consept they tossed overbord years ago because they thought the idea sucked.. I happen to agree to that. Noone gives a flying fuck what you think about it. It's part of a developers job to throw odd shit that sounds cool but wount work in practice overboard. Good job getting yourself banned for life from this game over something as idiotic as BarBrawl.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

[Mod Edit] still there is no MMO even being close to looking and feeling as good as AoC. Nothing can be compared combatwise and animationwise. It just rocks. Watch this:

The problem is, it does not feel good. Having to push several buttons just to perform a single special move on an already dead or otherwise gone target is anti-fun and tedious.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by rawfox

Would you share my opinion, that AoC would need sides to fight for ?

I would. FFA or just guild vs. guild is not that much fun imo, it lacks the feel of big picture. The same problem why GW2 PvP is not that much fun for me, it feels like I'm fighting my own faction who are just wearing different colours. Belonging to a faction brings a lot into PvP for me.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

AOC combar style not good at all imo, too slow, have to press many buttons to make one attack...

Animations are nice...

Few people like AOC combat compared to other styles like tab targetting wow like.

Originally posted by Kuinn

The problem is, it does not feel good. Having to push several buttons just to perform a single special move on an already dead or otherwise gone target is anti-fun and tedious.

I completly disagree on your perception of AoC combat being tedious. If you understand the combat and the concept clicks with your soul you will understand that it instead is a combat based on timing and actually hitting with a series of blows rather than spamming button x as fast as you can.. Which would be WoW style and a couple of other similar games out there. But I respect your view bro... I just can't agree. I find AoC combat the funnest and hardest to master combat system that we have in any MMO today. But then again no harm in people likeing different things.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by Blackbrrd
    Originally posted by Azrile

Combat was terrible, it was slow, sluggish and non-reactionary..   You pressed 5 keys, then looked at the screen and waited 3 seconds for the animations to happen.

Good luck with just pressing the 5 keys and then standing there. Your opponent can just sidestep your attacks and you won't hit a thing. Melee combat isn't tab-targeted and against skilled opponents that just circle around you (like in a first-person shooter) you will have a hard time hitting anything.

Your comment sounds like it comes from somebody that never tried PvP...

Azrile just never understood how to do AoC combat, and gets equaly pissed every time someone owns his *** :D

The Ultimate Breakdown

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    If circle strafing is skilled combat, you can count me out. What a bunch of twitchy little kids. I love the AoC combat, but the comments about strafing being skill are hilariousy. The combat in this game is not hard, but it is good. Honestly there are plenty of other games out there that require more skill, they just don't look as nice as AoC.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

I find PvP pretty hard and it needs practice.. but the warzones are really fun, quite an epic feel with the music and all.. I like it.

Open world PvP is different, you never know what to expect either a group of gankers chases you and you need to run until you can stealth, or run into a city with guards, or face a noob who attacks you and then he is the one who dies a horrible death... and with luck you get a crate with stuff and PvP tokens, that is very fun and feels rewarding 

The Return of ELITE !

Take a look on this anyways..

What other MMO has this sort of viaolent high paced crazy shit for their players.. Noone. AoC definitely has it's place among the AAA MMO's

The Ultimate Breakdown

Take a look on this anyways..

What other MMO has this sort of viaolent high paced crazy shit for their players.. Noone. AoC definitely has it's place among the AAA MMO's

ha ha fatalities rock. I wish TSW would get that too.. one can hope. But TSW is not as brutal hack ´n slash gorefest as AoC so, maybe not..

The Return of ELITE !

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

O

T

the animations look sweet but looks like sluggish gameplay wth animations like that.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design